Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Is there an easy way to test for platinum?

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default Is there an easy way to test for platinum?

Haven't posted since we switched over...

I have some what I believe to be platinum wire. But I'm not 100% sure...

Is there an easy way to test it to see if it is, or where I could go to have it tested?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Post #2

Thanks

Default Re: Is there an easy way to test for platinum?

Platinum is very dense, it should feel very heavy for its size. Kind of like how a gold coin has more heft than it looks like it should? Platinum feels even heavier. That's your first clue.

You can buy an acid test kit on Amazon for cheap. Or, take it to a local jeweler and ask them, they should have the materials to test it. Just be sure to not sell it to them, most jewelers give you half of spot if you're lucky.

3. Post #3

Found a way in
    Thanks

I've heard if you heat it to just red and then let it cool you shouldn't see any change in color. (I've heard)

4. Post #4

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,659 Times in 4,236 Posts

No, there is not an "easy" way. Working with platinum is both difficult and expensive. The assayers and refiners earn their money.

5. Post #5

Thanks

I may try the jewelry store to see if they can test it... I would never sell to them, I know I'll be lucky to get half...

I have a decent amount of it in pre-cut lengths. Less than a gram each so hard to tell by feel (weight wise)

I did see something about heating it. Does it change its mechanical properties (i.e. bend easily after?)

6. Post #6

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cd120 View Post
    I may try the jewelry store to see if they can test it... I would never sell to them, I know I'll be lucky to get half...

I have a decent amount of it in pre-cut lengths. Less than a gram each so hard to tell by feel (weight wise)

I did see something about heating it. Does it change its mechanical properties (i.e. bend easily after?)
    You offer very little information as to what you are working with. A jeweler will most likely not be equipped to do a qualitative much less a quantitative analysis. I'd suggest that you start with specific gravity and then decide if the cost of further analysis is warranted. Just my dos pesos. Good Luck.

7. Post #7

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    You offer very little information as to what you are working with. A jeweler will most likely not be equipped to do a qualitative much less a quantitative analysis. I'd suggest that you start with specific gravity and then decide if the cost of further analysis is warranted. Just my dos pesos. Good Luck.
    I would think most jewelers would have platinum acid, and even if not, they should have an electronic tester. Platinum will test as 18k+ gold on my electronic tester. In my experience, most of the time when someone is "not sure" if it is valuable or not, and it isn't marked, it usually isn't. If it dissolves completely under the acid or doesn't show up as karat gold on an electronic tester, that lets him know that whatever the wire is, it isn't platinum. If it does past the test, then he can start worrying about specifics, but acid testing it will be a quick way to eliminate 99% of the other things it could be.

8. Post #8

Banned
    Thanks

Go for it.

9. Post #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herb View Post
    I've heard if you heat it to just red and then let it cool you shouldn't see any change in color. (I've heard)
    Herb is right with this one. Platinum becomes red hot before melting and cools down with no color change. Your wire maybe partial platinum, in which case you need an assay. Refiners are the only people that do accurate assays. If you have a lot, like 12'' or more cut one 1" off & give
    it to somebody trusting to get assayed.
    Good Luck

10. Post #10

Thanks

It was some wire from discarded medical devices. I know some platinum is used in the device. It could just be a coating thus, there would be little overall. But if it's solid, great!

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get it tested then if it looks like it's worth further research.