Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Value of assay cards for small bars

1. Post #1

Gold Member
    Thanks

Default Value of assay cards for small bars

A lot of 1 oz to 10 oz gold bars are sold in sealed "assay card" holders, basically a plastic blister pack. Coins and most rounds, on the other hand, are typically sold bare, or in tubes. Premiums on coins are generally higher than bars, with or without assay cards.

Based on APMEX prices right now it appears that assay card gets you $10 more per ounce when you sell them back than the same bar without an assay card. The additional premium when you buy a bar in assay card versus not is often more than $10.

So there really doesn't appear to be a good reason to buy bars in assay card, as far as I can tell. So what is the point of an assay card? Is this just a marketing ploy?

If you buy small bars, do you like the ones in assay cards, or do you prefer to buy the naked bars? Why?

2. Post #2

Silver Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Value of assay cards for small bars

I prefer the assay cards - to my mind some reasons include:
    1) They're a little harder than unsealed products for our Chinese overlords to copy
    2) The bars (.999 pure) are way to soft without keeping them protected
    3) The premium is often lower than for rounds (e.g., Pamp spot +14, Krugs spot +30)

That being said, I have Krugs, Eagles, Pamp, and Credit in my hoard (all of which were tragically lost in a boating accident).

Buy at the best price you can find!
    Last edited by joe_momma; 12-03-2010 at 09:55 PM.