Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Shotgun question: home defense

1. Post #1

Midas Member
    Thanks

Default Shotgun question: home defense

I have never had a shotgun, and plan on buying one.
    How does one store a shot gun for home defence?
    If it's a pump, is it safe to store "cocked"?
    If not cocked, then, with an empty chamber, but, that makes the famous "pump action" noise: gives the intruder information.
    Twin barrels are worse. Cocked or empty?
    Thank you.

2. Post #2

Thanks

Default Re: Shotgun question: home defence

Pump shotgun, un-cocked, chamber empty, breech closed, loaded with #1 buck, magazine tube full (less one), safety off, behind bedroom door.

Rack, point, and pull.

SC
    "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverCity For This Useful Post:

Ebie (12-04-2010), Sheepdog (01-28-2011)

4. Post #3

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,474 Posts

If you dont have kids or idiots in your house, feel free to leave it locked and loaded.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLDZILLA For This Useful Post:

Cold Finger (12-05-2010)

6. Post #4

Midas Member
    Thanks

Thank you.
    Magazine full less one = why?
    Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
    Pump shotgun, un-cocked, chamber empty, breech closed, loaded with #1 buck, magazine tube full (less one), safety off, behind bedroom door.

Rack, point, and pull.

SC

7. Post #5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebie View Post
    Thank you.
    Magazine full less one = why?
    Be well.
    Common practice on all my repeaters. Reduces spring tension to help ensure reliable functioning and long-term readiness.

SC
    "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverCity For This Useful Post:

Ebie (12-04-2010), GoldWampum (12-04-2010)

9. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,052 Posts

Ebie, like you I bought a shotgun for home defense. It's a remington 870 and I outfitted it with a surefire (forend replacement) light.

http://www.surefire.com/ShotgunWeaponLights

I am not advocating for this brand, but I am recommending a light. I think a home invader would likely strike in the dark and if I were to take someones life the lawyers fees would be in the high 5's to 6 figures. With that in mind the light seemed cheap.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to <===Foolsgold For This Useful Post:

Ebie (12-04-2010)

11. Post #7

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Ozark's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a couple of home defense models of the 870. One is loaded behind my bedroom door, My surefire light is on my Saiga 12. I need to buy another one for my 870

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozark For This Useful Post:

Ebie (12-05-2010)

13. Post #8

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Cold Finger's Avatar
    Thanks

My bedside gun is an 18 inch Mossberg 500 with folding stock/pistol grip, tritium front bead and a flashlight in case the power goes out. If I have power the carefully placed nite lights about my home are all I need. I keep it fully loaded/chambered and every 5 years swap the mag spring for a new Wolff xtra power spring. Safety on, muzzle down on an old catalog to keep it off the carpet (contact with carpets rusts steel)

I also have an FN SLP autoloader that I have tricked out but it's a "Planet of the Apes" combat shottie, not really what I want to use for daily home defense

Racking your pump to scare away an intruder is an old "urban myth" and it's a big mistake. All you do is inform them you are armed, where you are, and if they are determined or crazy they may open fire on you on sight. You give up the element of surprise. The first thing a housebreaker will hear in my home if I do everything right, is BOOM

Use #1 or 00 buckshot and practice.. you still have to aim a shotgun, just like any other weapon

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cold Finger For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (12-05-2010), RoadKing (12-06-2010)

15. Post #9

GIM Statesman
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,503 Posts

cheek the shot spread at several foot intervals also.
    IF YA CANT DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLsh!t.

16. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Ruprick's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is a thought - if you store the gun with a full magazine tube and nothing in the chamber....then in an emergency (rushed to put it into action) you will have to remember to push the button for slide release in order to be able to "rack" one from the mag tube into the chamber.

You can avoid the need for pressing the slide release by pulling the trigger on an empty chamber = this disconnects the slide release lock.

1) Make sure gun is unloaded.
    2) Point in a safe direction.
    3) Pull trigger.
    4) Load magazine tube to desired level (full in my opinion).
    5) When ready to rock - just rack away...no need to remember the slide release button.

One more point - I do not even store gun + ammo around my place (unless it is in a safe) - for fear that while I'm out, someone may break-in.....find my gun....and shoot me with my own gun when I return home.....perhaps it could be a real bad guy or just a scared newby theif that freaks out under pressure......this is something to think about......they guy may have showed up unarmed for a B&E...and now he has a gun.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruprick For This Useful Post:

Usury (12-06-2010)

18. 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM

19. Post #11

Thanks

Rack, point, and pull.

SC
    OK - I just re-read = I see you are saying the same thing as me....good job!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruprick For This Useful Post:

SilverCity (12-05-2010)

21. Post #12

Thanks

I have a 870 racked upright next to bed and a 357 ruger on the end table, both are loaded cylinder clear on the 357 for safety and chamber empty on 870. the trick is to practice, with unloaded weapons of course. training and safety is key to keeping your home secure.

22. Post #13

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprick View Post
    Here is a thought - if you store the gun with a full magazine tube and nothing in the chamber....then in an emergency (rushed to put it into action) you will have to remember to push the button for slide release in order to be able to "rack" one from the mag tube into the chamber.

You can avoid the need for pressing the slide release by pulling the trigger on an empty chamber = this disconnects the slide release lock.

3) Pull trigger.
    5) When ready to rock - just rack away...no need to remember the slide release button.

One more point - I do not even store gun + ammo around my place (unless it is in a safe) - for fear that while I'm out, someone may break-in.....find my gun....and shoot me with my own gun when I return home.....perhaps it could be a real bad guy or just a scared newby theif that freaks out under pressure......this is something to think about......they guy may have showed up unarmed for a B&E...and now he has a gun.
    I have near worn out my main safe R & R ing my shottie every time I leave or return from my home. If it saves my life or the life of my wife it's worth it. Handguns always go with me, of course, and sometimes my mini 14 for the trunk

23. Post #14

Gold Member
    Thanks

My main one is in a guitar case next to the wifes side of the bed.

There is ton of crazy ammo in case.

If we felt threatend she would sleep next to an AK locked and loaded, I sleep next to AK loaded now.

24. Post #15

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

FN SLP with an empty chamber and five rounds of 00 Buck in the tube. (That's "one less" than capacity.) The open box of 12 pellet 00 Buck is sitting right there in the case so I could top everything off to the 7 round capacity before exiting the bedroom if that was necessary. Although I've killed a few things around the place with those 12 pellet loads and it's hard to believe anybody would walk away from even one of those! And I'm not worried about making noise in the event of a break in. We have fifteen dogs and all but one of them sleeps in the house. Ten of them are Belgian Malinois. If somebody started breaking glass or doors, my house would be roaring chaos long before I waded in with a 12 gauge.

My bedroom closet has three AK's in it. Each one has a loaded mag inserted but empty chamber. With a little stack of loaded magazines next to it. I ended up with all three in there with separate stacks of mags because I like to complicate things and they are three totally different types of AK's. The one hanging on the inside wall of the closet is my normal "go to" AK. Romanian SAR-2 in 5.45x39 and a side folding stock. The one hanging by a bungee cord from the clothes rod is an AK pistol built from an AMD65 kit. No stock, 7.62x39. And finally the one just leaning up against the wall is a Yugo underfolder in .223. Each one is better than the other two at _something!_

Gregg

25. The Following User Says Thank You to tulsamal For This Useful Post:

Dvrumo (12-06-2010)

26. Post #16

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tulsamal View Post
    FN SLP with an empty chamber and five rounds of 00 Buck in the tube. (That's "one less" than capacity.) The open box of 12 pellet 00 Buck is sitting right there in the case so I could top everything off to the 7 round capacity before exiting the bedroom if that was necessary. Although I've killed a few things around the place with those 12 pellet loads and it's hard to believe anybody would walk away from even one of those! And I'm not worried about making noise in the event of a break in. We have fifteen dogs and all but one of them sleeps in the house. Ten of them are Belgian Malinois. If somebody started breaking glass or doors, my house would be roaring chaos long before I waded in with a 12 gauge.

My bedroom closet has three AK's in it. Each one has a loaded mag inserted but empty chamber. With a little stack of loaded magazines next to it. I ended up with all three in there with separate stacks of mags because I like to complicate things and they are three totally different types of AK's. The one hanging on the inside wall of the closet is my normal "go to" AK. Romanian SAR-2 in 5.45x39 and a side folding stock. The one hanging by a bungee cord from the clothes rod is an AK pistol built from an AMD65 kit. No stock, 7.62x39. And finally the one just leaning up against the wall is a Yugo underfolder in .223. Each one is better than the other two at _something!_

Gregg
    I have pretty much the same set-up, but mine are boerboels and they all sleep inside! Cant believe we think alike!

27. Post #17

Thanks

Rack, point, and pull.

SC
    What he said, perfect. And I like the guitar case idea.

I have no shotgun in Russia, but this was the arrangement I had back when I lived in Detroit as a university student. It was a .20 gague, no danger of passing through walls or anything, easier recoil for the woman to operate.

I figured having to rack it first was a good safety feature, plus the sound could offer a deterrent to someone trying to get in.

I love shotguns, they are my weapon of choice.
    "Every people, like every person, . . . has a right to be itself."

-Mikhail Bakunin

28. Post #18

Thanks

shotgun is very popular recommendation for bedroom bump-in-the-night gun. I disagree. A double-action .44 or .45 revolver is the proper tool for that job. Many of the points you make in asking your questions are the reason why not to use a shotgun for this purpose. Additionally, a long gun can be a problem inside a house.
    A fat slow bullet brings plenty of foot pounds without the big blast of a .357 Magnum. A D/A revolver is the most basic interface, suitable for that state you're in when you just got blasted out of a nice dream by a window breaking. NOT the time to remember where you left the safety on your shotgun which doesn't have a shell in the chamber. NOT the time to remember how to work the safety on your semiauto or deal with a single-action trigger.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

GodspeedMetals (02-22-2011), Usury (12-06-2010)

30. Post #19

Thanks

shotgun is very popular recommendation for bedroom bump-in-the-night gun. I disagree. A double-action .44 or .45 revolver is the proper tool for that job. Many of the points you make in asking your questions are the reason why not to use a shotgun for this purpose. Additionally, a long gun can be a problem inside a house.
    It's important to ask "which house?" If you are in an apartment on the 20th floor, I probably wouldn't mess with a shotgun either. I would still _own_ one just in case I needed to flee the urban area. But as the house and surrounding property grows, the "use" for the shotgun goes up. We live on 90 acres and we are 6 miles from the city limits. I stood out by my gate one day with the County Sheriff discussing some problems I was having with coon hunters. He pointed out how far I was from possible help and said they advise people in our circumstances to be able to "hold their own" for at least 20 minutes. If five guys in a pickup truck come busting through my gate shooting and whooping it up, I'm not going to engage them with a handgun. If they are smart/crazy enough to keep outside of shotgun range, I'll upgrade to an AK or an AR. If they are trying to come in a door or window, I'll be standing on the other side with a shotgun.

My normal home defense gun is a Ruger Security Six with six inch barrel in .357 Magnum. But it would only be my gun of choice if the bad guy(s) was already in the house and coming in the bedroom door. So I guess that means I agree that a DA revolver is first choice for up close and personal. I'm just pointing out that many of us have enough property and are in rural enough areas that we have to be covering a wider area than just our bedroom and hallway.

My CCW carry gun is a S&W M296 DAO Centennial in .44 Special so I know where you are coming from.

Gregg

31. Post #20

Thanks

Default Re: Shotgun question: home defense

IMO a handgun, especially a limited capacity, slow to reload revolver is not the best choice for home defense. I'll toss back the "sleepy, you'll forget the safety, etc".. with "sleepy, you will likely not do very well or be very fast with that handgun". You certainly won't do very well fumbling with a speedloader in the dark, unless you're Rob Leatham

One accurate blast from a 12 or 20 GA W-buck and you're almost assured of no return fire.. this cannot be said of any handgun. I want them DOWN, NOW

My Mossberg is 28.5 inches, folded. Easy to get through tight doors, etc.. I will deploy the stock once out in my chosen defensive position where I have crossfire no matter which way they come in

Here's the stock I have (ATI)

Shotguns W-buck have about the same penetration in drywall as major caliber handguns..(a little less) they will easily pass through several walls:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
    Last edited by Cold Finger; 12-06-2010 at 04:21 PM.

32. Post #21

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    A fat slow bullet brings plenty of foot pounds without the big blast of a .357 Magnum. A D/A revolver is the most basic interface, suitable for that state you're in when you just got blasted out of a nice dream by a window breaking. NOT the time to remember where you left the safety on your shotgun which doesn't have a shell in the chamber. NOT the time to remember how to work the safety on your semiauto or deal with a single-action trigger.
    I think that some of the issues you raise can be addressed by training. If you know your weapon well enough, there will be no fumbling at the moment of truth, and this is the very PURPOSE of training.

And I think there's no issue using a short-barelled .20 gague in an apartment.

PLus, if we are talking bleary-eyed, fresh from sleep in the dark, I'd rather have the shotgun's larger spread of impact area than a bullet. Your aim can be sloppy, but so long as it is in the confines of a corridor or room, chances are you (or your woman) will be able to at least wing whatever you're shooting at.

Having a double-action pistol ready to go by the bed......I feel uncomfortable with it. I imagine a bad dream, you wake up blasting away without thinking first. Having to handle a pump is not that difficult, yet it is enough to engage your combat mode.

Besides, like I said earlier, the sound of the rack is not to be discounted.
    "Every people, like every person, . . . has a right to be itself."

-Mikhail Bakunin

33. Post #22

Getting Acclimated Prospector Elvis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprick View Post

3) Pull trigger.
    I used to do this, but far too many people I know screwed up and failed to make sure the gun was unloaded and pulled the trigger.

I'm talking serious shooters that routinely handle shotguns. Call it complacency, whatever, if it can happen to them, it can happen to you.

These are the same people who would say that it would never happen to them, and make all kinds of cliche's up to say that it only happens to idiots.

Pulling the trigger as part of a loading procedure is a needless risk. Learn to operate the shotgun.

PS: If you unload the shotgun by racking rounds through it, you're also in the needless risk category.

Elvis, wielding an 870 for 25 years and counting.

34. Post #23

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I used to do this, but far too many people I know screwed up and failed to make sure the gun was unloaded and pulled the trigger.

I'm talking serious shooters that routinely handle shotguns. Call it complacency, whatever, if it can happen to them, it can happen to you.

These are the same people who would say that it would never happen to them, and make all kinds of cliche's up to say that it only happens to idiots.

Pulling the trigger as part of a loading procedure is a needless risk. Learn to operate the shotgun.

PS: If you unload the shotgun by racking rounds through it, you're also in the needless risk category.

Elvis, wielding an 870 for 25 years and counting.
    No other way to unload the magazine tube of a pump than to rack them out - you can shuck them from tube to loading ramp and dump them out the ejection port into hand without chambering.......how else to unload the mag tube?

I see no problem with dropping hammer on empty chamber in a safe direction....the safe direction is the key here......and yes, only an idiot would f up and discharge thinking it was empty...but still if it was in a safe direction,,,,no issue other than fixing the floor/wall/ceiling.

I still say this is the way to go.

Each to his own opinion.

35. Post #24

Thanks

Myself, I like the K-80. If I'm gonna drag something thru the mud and the brush I still love my old 1100's, but I don't let folks see them. Got to keep up appearences.

Here's a chance to win one.
    http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/index.ph...010&Itemid=127
    "I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts."
    Col. "Bat" Guano

36. Post #25

Thanks

I have been lurking here for several years but couldn't resist registering and adding my 2 cents here.

My absolute favorite home defense weapon is a .410, double barrel, derringer. Several types are available, including a Taurus Judge revolver and my weapon of choice, the Bond Arms Snake Slayer or Texas Ranger. These will shoot either a 45 Long Colt or the can't miss .410 shell. The barrel is only about 1/2" longer than the shell. Additionally, there are many different shells available, including those made particularly for handguns. The one I load with, is the personal defense variety that is loaded with 3 copper discs as well as buckshot. The copper discs are actually quite potent and accurate to about 30 feet but the buckshot opens to a larger pattern.

Depending on your particular load and weapon, a standard pattern at 10 feet is about 2 feet. and at 20 feet, about 4 feet. This is perfect for home defense as well as a carjacking stopper. Get the holster and clip it to your bed rail under the blankets. When you have to drive through the Milwaukee 'hood- stick it in your console or purse. Think about it- a barely visible intruder at your bedroom door at 3:00 am after several hours of REM sleep... You can't miss. Try that with any standard, clumsy, 4' long shotgun. Same goes for an unwanted "guest" at your car or truck window.

My vote is for the compact, multi-purpose .410 pistol. You probably won't want to target practice much- the recoil kicks like a mule- but you really don't have to. And the peace of mind is priceless.

I have enjoyed reading these informative threads, and hope that this addition helps you.

Be well.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to D-FENZ For This Useful Post:

Bellboy (01-24-2011)

38. Post #26

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner SNICKLE 1980's Avatar
    Thanks

Ten of them are Belgian Malinois. If somebody started breaking glass or doors, my house would be roaring chaos long before I waded in with a 12 gauge.
    those dogs are great. i got one that i guess wasnt training stock as a freebie when i worked at a kennel in my 20s. the cops would train with the dogs in the back area next to the farm in full gear. fun to watch. they were replacing german sheps with bels down in texas last i heard.