Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Greens and Pot Likker

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 655 Posts

Default Greens and Pot Likker

I've decided to try to shed a few pounds. The approach I'm using is to reduce my consumption of carbohydrates. I'm no fan of starving myself, LOL. One of the recommendations I've seen is cooked greens. Being a Northern boy, we never, ever had greens when I was growing up and, truth be told, I had until this past week never tasted collards or turnip greens.

The miracle for me is that not only are the cooked greens delicious, the pot likker is too. Mine was double strength because I used the leftover liquid from cooking the collards to cook the turnip greens as well. And I suppose the bacon and ham didn't hurt the flavor either. Delicious!

Naturally I can't use corn bread to sop up the pot likker -- not if I'm restricting carbs. But I am absolutely floored by what a wonderful soup base pot likker makes.

Anyone else have two cents to throw into the pot, as it were.
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    William Shakespeare

2. Post #2

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,350 Times in 7,023 Posts

Default Re: Greens and Pot Likker

Put more water in the soup...there's better times a-comin....

"...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

GoldWampum (02-03-2011), Merlin (01-31-2011)

4. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,123 Posts

Thanks for the idea Merlin, I hope my supermarket has collard greens.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    "Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants but debt is the money of slaves." Norm Franz, Money and Wealth in the New Millenium

5. Post #4

Getting Acclimated Prospector Buzzhawks's Avatar
    Thanks

i can relate as a yankee now living in the south. never had them growing up, but now i eat them at least a couple of times a week. i even have them growing in my garden right now.

to me, kale is the best; followed by collards. my wife does kale great: saute some garlic and onions, then add the kale until it's tender enough to eat. man, is that good; with hot sauce of course.

really healthy too. we also eat the kale raw. pick it from the garden and add it to a salad.

good luck with your weight loss merlin. go primal!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzhawks For This Useful Post:

Merlin (12-28-2013)

7. Post #5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzhawks View Post
    i can relate as a yankee now living in the south. never had them growing up, but now i eat them at least a couple of times a week. i even have them growing in my garden right now.

to me, kale is the best; followed by collards. my wife does kale great: saute some garlic and onions, then add the kale until it's tender enough to eat. man, is that good; with hot sauce of course.

really healthy too. we also eat the kale raw. pick it from the garden and add it to a salad.

good luck with your weight loss merlin. go primal!
    Hot sauce, eh? Never heard of that. Have to give it a try.
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    William Shakespeare

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,824 Posts

I sautee onions in olive oil, then add the cut collard greens and some water and stream with soy sauce (not too much-careful!). This time of year, I'm usually still able to dig them out from under the snow, but this year we had cold and no snow early so they got burned...boo hoo. I never ate them before 10 years ago and now my favorite winter food along with kale and brussel sprouts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldmansmith For This Useful Post:

Merlin (12-28-2013)

10. Post #7

Thanks

Merlin.

Good on ya for making a lifestyle change.Be careful about suddenly restricting your Carb intake, especially first thing when you wake. Carbs are the get-up-and-go sustenance, the body needs them for heat and energy. Especially natural grains and complex carbs.

If you have to kick them out, do it when the body is slowing down for sleep.

2 cents worth.

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 6,490 Times in 3,146 Posts

Adding ham and bacon isn't going to help shed pounds Merlin. Limiting one type of food is also not a good idea.

My thoughts are to slim your portions down to limit caloric intake, then increase energy output. Loosing weight is only helpful if you do it in a balanced way that will keep the weight off.

Cutting carbs is of course a good way to shed unwanted calories, but you would be better off with some corn bread than bacon fat in your body.

Increasing exercise is the sure fire way to lose weight. Muscles also burn more calories than fat, so you will need to increase muscular activity to speed things up and keep the #'s at bay.
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

12. Post #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    Adding ham and bacon isn't going to help shed pounds Merlin. Limiting one type of food is also not a good idea.

My thoughts are to slim your portions down to limit caloric intake, then increase energy output. Loosing weight is only helpful if you do it in a balanced way that will keep the weight off.

Cutting carbs is of course a good way to shed unwanted calories, but you would be better off with some corn bread than bacon fat in your body.

Increasing exercise is the sure fire way to lose weight. Muscles also burn more calories than fat, so you will need to increase muscular activity to speed things up and keep the #'s at bay.
    Your advice is appreciated, although traditional. It seems to me that most advice to reduce calorie intake and increase exercise is a sure-fire way to make one hungry. I firmly believe that my diet has been carb-heavy for too long. I love my taters, my bread, my biscuits and gravy, my rice, and my corn bread and it has begun to catch up with me.

I'm only going to try this low-carb diet for a couple of weeks to see what happens. As for ham and bacon? Moderation is key. I'll keep you guys posted.
    William Shakespeare

13. Post #10

Getting Acclimated Prospector Buzzhawks's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Hot sauce, eh? Never heard of that. Have to give it a try.
    you never heard of hot sauce?

i put it on/in so many things (soup, eggs, hashbrowns, stir fry, mashed potatoes, quiche, etc.). my wife makes big batches of homemade hot pepper sauce with homegrown jalepenos, garlic, onions, and tomatoes. it's so good.

sometimes we use sriracha. that's good too.

14. Post #11

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

I eat manly a low carb diet for health reasons although I do have carbs in the form of brown rice, initially it was to cut out sugar due to systemic candida, I was really strict with myself at first as I wasn't very well and lost a lot of weight. If you are cutting out carbs it sounds crazy but you may need to have more meals per day and don't do it for too long, also when you introduce carbs back into your diet do it slowly or you will pile the weight back on. Porridge is a good breakfast, omlette is too with goats cheese, red onion and spinach, stirfry is a good evening meal, quick to make and if you put a goodsize onion in with garlic and ginger you will get good flavour with maybe diced lamb or chicken, use lemons and limes to flavour things too, salads or homemade soup is good for lunch, don't get confused with carbs and complex carbs as some people do or you will be hungry and unhealthy, if you plan it well you can lose weight and stay healthy, your body will learn to burn fat more eficiently and come back into balance, if not planned well you could end up unwell, you may need to adjust what you eat dependent on how much exercise you do, if your a carb junkie you will crave sugar like your life depended on it as there is sugar in lots of things, most people dont realise that your body burns the easiest source of energy first and that will be things like bread, potatoes, white rice etc, if you remove these or minimize them then your body will start to burn the fat and you will lose weight, but you still need to eat lean meats, fish and plenty of vegetables. I never go hungry, how can you with a nice piece of salmon and a good plate of vegetables for my tea, good luck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky For This Useful Post:

Merlin (01-31-2011)

16. Post #12

Gold Member
    Thanks

Hot sause is also great for arthritis, but not so much for sensitive area's of the body.

I bought some Capzasin HP and had the little lady put it on my shoulder before she
    got a shower. Man, when she got out of the shower I got an earfull of bad words.
    She said her hoohaa was on fire, and of coarse I had to say,
    why was your hand down there anyhow (that didn't help things none).

So, she said never again and I read the instructions and it says to wash hands in dish detergent 1st.

I put hot sauce on alot of food, it just enhances the flavor of food bigtime.

17. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 545 Posts

Got to go easy on the greens if your prone to kidney stones. They will get you something fierce. I had them a couple times and the doc told me to lay off the greens especially spinach. I always thought greens would be the most healthy food around , who knew.
    - If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

18. Post #14

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meetzos View Post
    Got to go easy on the greens if your prone to kidney stones. They will get you something fierce. I had them a couple times and the doc told me to lay off the greens especially spinach. I always thought greens would be the most healthy food around , who knew.
    Spinach and Swiss chard (and sheep sorrel if you are eating weeds) are very high in oxalic acid; I only eat spinach during the cold months when oxalic acid levels are low. I grow swiss chard for Mrs. Old cause she likes it ...enough said.

The other greens will not give you kidney stones, eat up.

19. Post #15

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Here in the midsouth although I love smoked ham hocks and bacon for seasoning greens [collard & kale my favorites]. A friend of mine with heart problems told me about smoked turkey necks or wings. Sold in most stores around here. Taste great and are better for your health. Greens can also be added to soups and stews.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellboy For This Useful Post:

Merlin (01-31-2011)

21. Post #16

Thanks

I love all types of greens. I even cook up the tops of the radishes I buy if they are not wilted. I have a bottle of sliced up jalapenos soaked in vinegar. I cook my greens with a pinch of crushed red pepper and add a couple tablespoons of the vinegar to the plate when I eat them. I find that I can lose weight better if I limit by fat intake. I use to cook my greens and make my cornbread with bacon grease until I had to have my neck veins unclogged a couple of months back. Potatoes,rice,white bread are hard carbs. Cornmeal mush and cornbread not so bad. Greens are also a carb.

22. Post #17

Found a silver nugget Prospector shipwreck's Avatar
    Thanks

I go to a naturopath, and he made improvements in my blood pressure and glucose by changing my diet.
    I now eat lots of salads with canned salmon or tuna, and a simple dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and Bragg’s aminos. I often have steamed veggies.
    My breakfast used to have frozen apple or orange juice, which was way too sugary, and box cereals and milk. All those things are out now. Particularly all dairy products are out. Granola from a health food store is also too sugary. I now drink smoothies based on water with frozen berries and Whey protein, usually Standard Process brand, or hemp protein. I throw in some ground flax or sesame seeds for omegas. Breakfast is usually buckwheat groats and sometimes scrambled eggs. I pour some of the smoothie on the buckwheat and there it is. A handful of chia seeds adds more protein.
    Hummus is easy to make. Just soak some chickpeas, throw out the water, boil them for a couple hours, puree them with a stick blender, add olive oil, salt, pepper and spices then pour it all into old yogurt cartons.
    Costco has some frozen fish that is good baked, for proteins.
    Walnuts and apples or pears for snacks work well. Bananas, oranges and lots of other fruits are too sugary.
    That is what I can remember about diet off hand. Fortunately I found a form of exercise that is fun, so I do it regularly.
    gold is where you find it

23. Post #18

Thanks

MERLIN,,,welcome to greens, one of gods gifts,,,,,,but we call it pot liquor as in alcohol,,,,,and none goes to waste in my house. drink as you would a cup of coffee or tea.
    my favorite is turnip greens with the turnips,,,,JMO

24. The Following User Says Thank You to obilly For This Useful Post:

Merlin (12-28-2013)

25. Post #19

Gold Member
    Thanks

Less about greens, but some lo-carb tips from experience (Gained a ton after quitting smoking, dropped about 65% so far)...

Don't go extreme lo-carb. Seriously, you will yo-yo worse than any other diet and you get sugar cravings that compare (for me at least) to nicotine cravings. Have LESS carbs over all, and MORE healthy carbs. Also, high fat proteins are a killer. Going hog-wild on bacon isn't healthy.

The key for me was finding the proper amount of healthy carbs to be happy (not hungry) and still lose weight. From previous posts, I know you cook, so stock up on some serious lo-carb baking products to get started. I no longer use this mix, but kevinpa's bread recipe I found to be a miracle after months of struggling:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeehtdx/k...ite/id104.html

2.5g net carbs per slice. Yes you can still eat bread!!!!

After a while, I just started using Water/Carbalose/Butter/Yeast and some experimental yeast food like Guiness, milk, or honey. No more than 3g carb per slice (up to a tsp of sugar is eaten by the yeast, so don't count). Makes great hamburger buns too.

Dreamfields pasta is only 5g net carbs per serving and tastes like normal pasta. I use it regularly, and nobody I know can tell the difference. The spaghetti also makes a great substitute for noodles in stir-fry/Mongolian BBQ. Most super markets sell Dreamfields now adays.

Kraft Parmesan makes a killer breading for chicken strips and cheese sticks. Normal egg wash, then use the cheese instead of flour.

About hot sauce, not only does it taste great, but capsaicin is a natural weight loss assistant. I don't know about causing weight loss, but it does help make you feel full faster. Crushed pepper and chili oil go with anything!!!

Sorry to ramble and go so far off topic.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to KGMe For This Useful Post:

Merlin (01-31-2011)

27. Post #20

Thanks

I'm cooking the collard greens right now. In a frying pan with garlic and onion. Bacon's frying in a seperate pan. Thanks again for the idea.

And some taters.

Last edited by <===Foolsgold; 01-31-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    "Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants but debt is the money of slaves." Norm Franz, Money and Wealth in the New Millenium

28. The Following User Says Thank You to <===Foolsgold For This Useful Post:

Merlin (01-31-2011)

29. Post #21

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winslo View Post
    I love all types of greens. I even cook up the tops of the radishes I buy if they are not wilted. I have a bottle of sliced up jalapenos soaked in vinegar. I cook my greens with a pinch of crushed red pepper and add a couple tablespoons of the vinegar to the plate when I eat them. I find that I can lose weight better if I limit by fat intake. I use to cook my greens and make my cornbread with bacon grease until I had to have my neck veins unclogged a couple of months back. Potatoes,rice,white bread are hard carbs. Cornmeal mush and cornbread not so bad. Greens are also a carb.
    Winslo, sorry to hear about the carotid endarterectomy (I'm assuming that's what it was.) The radish greens is a good idea really. They usually just rot in my refrigerator otherwise; no more! You are right, greens do contain carbs. It's not possible (or desirable) to eliminate them altogether. I just want to get my net carbs (carbs - fiber) below 20 grams per day for a while.

I'm not pigging out on animal fat, folks. Breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs with bell pepper, onion, a little American cheese, and two sausage patties. Lunch was chicken soup I made with some leftover pot likker (liquor), diced bell pepper and onion, a boullion cube, and the other half of the boneless-skinless chicken breast from yesterday's dinner. Tonight's dinner was a broiled, 4-ounce beef filet with Danish blue cheese and a half cup of steamed spinach with white wine vinegar and HOT SAUCE. No bread. No potatoes. No rice.
    William Shakespeare

30. Post #22

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <===Foolsgold View Post
    I'm cooking the collard greens right now. In a frying pan with garlic and onion. Bacon's frying in a seperate pan. Thanks again for the idea.And some taters.
    In my experience, the collards need to cook a l o n g time to be tender. What you are doing with them though should be entirely edible. Now, that pot of taters is positively sinful and I am jealous!
    William Shakespeare

31. Post #23

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KGMe View Post
    Less about greens, but some lo-carb tips from experience (Gained a ton after quitting smoking, dropped about 65% so far)...

Don't go extreme lo-carb. Seriously, you will yo-yo worse than any other diet and you get sugar cravings that compare (for me at least) to nicotine cravings. Have LESS carbs over all, and MORE healthy carbs. Also, high fat proteins are a killer. Going hog-wild on bacon isn't healthy.

The key for me was finding the proper amount of healthy carbs to be happy (not hungry) and still lose weight. From previous posts, I know you cook, so stock up on some serious lo-carb baking products to get started. I no longer use this mix, but kevinpa's bread recipe I found to be a miracle after months of struggling:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeehtdx/k...ite/id104.html

2.5g net carbs per slice. Yes you can still eat bread!!!!

After a while, I just started using Water/Carbalose/Butter/Yeast and some experimental yeast food like Guiness, milk, or honey. No more than 3g carb per slice (up to a tsp of sugar is eaten by the yeast, so don't count). Makes great hamburger buns too.

Dreamfields pasta is only 5g net carbs per serving and tastes like normal pasta. I use it regularly, and nobody I know can tell the difference. The spaghetti also makes a great substitute for noodles in stir-fry/Mongolian BBQ. Most super markets sell Dreamfields now adays.

Kraft Parmesan makes a killer breading for chicken strips and cheese sticks. Normal egg wash, then use the cheese instead of flour.

About hot sauce, not only does it taste great, but capsaicin is a natural weight loss assistant. I don't know about causing weight loss, but it does help make you feel full faster. Crushed pepper and chili oil go with anything!!!

Sorry to ramble and go so far off topic.
    You were not off topic at all; the hidden agenda in my post is low-carbs, after all. All I have to do now is find a source for Carbalose (looks like $3 a pound) and Dreamfields pasta. From my point of view, your post is probably one of the most helpful. Thank you.
    William Shakespeare

32. Post #24

Thanks

In my experience, the collards need to cook a l o n g time to be tender. What you are doing with them though should be entirely edible. Now, that pot of taters is positively sinful and I am jealous!
    Potatoes....then I won't even mention the chocolate chip cookies.

33. Post #25

Gold Member
    Thanks

You were not off topic at all; the hidden agenda in my post is low-carbs, after all. All I have to do now is find a source for Carbalose (looks like $3 a pound) and Dreamfields pasta. From my point of view, your post is probably one of the most helpful. Thank you.
    Glad to help!

http://www6.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html
    http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=212

Netrition sponsors a web forum at lowcarbfriends.com, a great place for recipes. They also have a ton of products. Just be careful, half the people there seem to be happy to sprinkle splenda on cardboard and call it tasty!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to KGMe For This Useful Post:

Merlin (01-31-2011)

35. Post #26

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

I started an Atkins diet 4 weeks ago, had no carbs for 18 days - by then the weight loss had slowed a lot. I lost 7.2 pounds the first week, 4.3 the second and only 1 pound week three. After 18 days I reintroduced a small amount of carbs for 7 days, then back on Atkins since. Down 15 pounds in last 4 weeks. Not as much as I hoped to lose, but still satisfying. I don't think Atkins is healthy long term, as the extra protein is a problem after a while. And the body should get some carbs, and the rapid weight loss from Atkins is a great boost but doesn't last beyond a few weeks. BTW, I've also been exercising like crazy the whole time - minor weightlifting plus 40-80 minutes on an elliptical machine is a typical day for me - every single day. In the long run, it seems like losing about 2 pounds a week through a healthy, balanced, and severely reduced diet, along with heavy exercise, is probably the way to go. This requires major motivation to keep going, but this time, I'm motivated. Thank you everyone for the suggestions on collard greens, along with onions, hot sauce, etc. Don't forget to eat a lot of spinach either.

36. Post #27

Thanks

7 pounds the first week; that sounds familiar -- probably mostly water, I think. So then the weight loss slowed. You know, it took me decades to put on this weight. If it comes off slowly, that's probably a good thing.

I don't get compulsive about the exercise thing. But, even though it was only around 22 degrees F today, I did ride my bicycle downtown to the bank today, visited the stationery store, and came home (1.64 miles roundtrip.) I'm trying to stay active at 65 years.
    William Shakespeare

37. Post #28

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <===Foolsgold View Post
    I'm cooking the collard greens right now. In a frying pan with garlic and onion. Bacon's frying in a seperate pan. Thanks again for the idea.

And some taters.

Gotta get away from that teflon and get a cast iron skillet ASAP. That metal spoon+telflon=youre sratching it and eating the stuff.

Regardless, go cast iron, cheap and lasts forever.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gonzo For This Useful Post:

<===Foolsgold (02-01-2011), Libertaurum (02-03-2011)

39. Post #29

Thanks
    Thanked 4,673 Times in 1,791 Posts

Any real southern cook or restaurant will serve greens with a pepper sauce that consists of peppers floating in a spiced vinegar. The peppers stay in the bottle when poured.

I love my greens simmered with onion slices.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

40. Post #30

Found a silver nugget Prospector Shinylid's Avatar
    Thanks

To make kale and other greens softer for salads, ribbon cut(sliced thin), then add some lemon juice. The acid in the juice makes it go soft and easier to eat. Don't forget the olive oil.

I have been staying away from carbs for some time too. Recently I realized that while a good idea to stay from processed carbs, there are some that are good for you. My examples are brown rice, quinoa, and whole grain anything. The key is whole grain. Try Ezekiel bread. It's hard to eat too much of it because it's so filling.

I find that eating my veggies is not always the easiest, but if I add just a potato to a dish or soup it makes it more palpable and filling.

Look into vegan diet. Most of the things people have to say against it are wrong. I did the switch for health reasons, but still allow myself a cheat from time to time. Google Max Gerson.

41. Post #31

Thanks

The wife and I started Weight Watchers yesterday. We both need to lose weight for our son's wedding and our health. About 18 months ago I lost 32 lbs. in 3 and a half months. But ,gained it all back. We are both retired and probably need more exercise as well.
    Last edited by Bellboy; 02-04-2011 at 12:34 AM.

42. Post #32

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,350 Times in 7,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArkWv View Post
    Hot sauce is also great for arthritis,
    but not so much for sensitive area's of the body.
    I know a guy who has a recipe for Hurtcha Hot Habanero
    hot sauce. He gave it to a buddy of his who proceeded to
    dice the habanero's. He later discovered when he went to
    the bathroom that Mr. Happy didn't like habanero remains
    on his fingers. He washed them prior...

He washed his hands really well after that. Then, much to
    his dismay, when he woke up the next day, the 'remnants'
    on his hands was ever potent. Mr. Happy went for round
    two of Hurtcha Hot....

Rule #1 ALWAYS use rubber/plastic gloves when handling
    habanero's and NEVER touch your eyes!
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (02-15-2011)

44. Post #33

Gold Member
    Thanks

My favorite greens, in this order, are: turnip greens with diced turnips; kohlrabi greens with diced kohlrabi, mustard greens, chard, poke salut, escarole, spinach, collard, and kale. It's hard to imagine eating greens without cornbread. Usually a little salt pork, tasso (I make my own), or bacon to flavor them, and onions, salt, and black pepper. I like to put hot vinegar on them at the table (e.g., white vinegar in which peppers, often tabasco or green cayenne peppers, have been steeped for several weeks). It's not really hot, but it tastes good.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to silverblood For This Useful Post:

shades (02-15-2011)

46. Post #34

Thanks
    Thanked 4,673 Times in 1,791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bellboy View Post
    The wife and I started Weight Watchers yesterday. We both need to lose weight for our son wedding and our health. About 18 months ago I lost 32 lbs. in 3 and a half months. But ,gained it all back. We are both retired and probably need more exercise as well.
    If you consider yourself to be on a diet, i.e., a departure from the norm for a limited time, you WILL gain the weight back in very short order. Only a permanent change from the habits that brought on the weight in the first place will keep it off.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

shades (02-15-2011)

48. Post #35

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Uncle's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried Atkins a few years ago and lost about 27lbs over 3 months. Went back on "healthy" carbs and started to feel not so good and picked up weight. Naturally started to migrate to a very low carb diet and have been maintaining for over a year. Never felt so good.

Now with "low carb" I'll eat a lot of green vegies and as much raw vegetables, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, sprouts etc as possible with no restriction on serving size. Some pumpking or squash once a week, especially if I'll be doing legs in the gym that night.

I'll have some fruit but not that regular. Mostly a banana after gym together with some protein.

Stay away from refined anything like sugar, flour products, soda, baking etc.

I only really get hungry after consuming some form of refined carbs or after too much fruit. Suppose the blood-sugar yoyo is doing its thing.

Good luck in finding something that suits you.

Golden Regards
    Uncle

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle For This Useful Post:

Merlin (02-14-2011), shades (02-15-2011)

50. Post #36

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    If you consider yourself to be on a diet, i.e., a departure from the norm for a limited time, you WILL gain the weight back in very short order. Only a permanent change from the habits that brought on the weight in the first place will keep it off.
    Since January 25th, I've lost an honest 10 pounds on a severely restricted low-carb diet, and all without going hungry. But I believe that you are absolutely correct, TomD. My plan, when I reach my desired weight, is to reintroduce the carbs gradually, making a point of never going back to my old ways.

There's a lot to be said for a diet that doesn't require you to go hungry. But, darn, I miss my biscuits and gravy!
    William Shakespeare

51. Post #37

Thanks

Might find some good recipes http://kitchenlink.com/here .

52. Post #38

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post
    I know a guy who has a recipe for Hurtcha Hot Habanero
    hot sauce. He gave it to a buddy of his who proceeded to
    dice the habanero's. He later discovered when he went to
    the bathroom that Mr. Happy didn't like habanero remains
    on his fingers. He washed them prior...

He washed his hands really well after that. Then, much to
    his dismay, when he woke up the next day, the 'remnants'
    on his hands was ever potent. Mr. Happy went for round
    two of Hurtcha Hot....

Rule #1 ALWAYS use rubber/plastic gloves when handling
    habanero's and NEVER touch your eyes!
    I had the same thing happen to me.
    It's quite the surprise when the burning starts.

53. Post #39

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Ruprick's Avatar
    Thanks

Weight loss is MOSTLY simple caloric balance:

1) 3500 cal debt = 1 lost pound....3500 surplus = 1 lb gained.
    2) Men need about 11 calories per lb of body weight to hold that weight, assuming "normal" activity levels. Women only get 10 cal/lb.
    3) Example: 200 lb man needs about 2200 cal a day.
    4) You can run the calorie debt through less intake or more output (exercise) or a combination.
    5) Based on above math.....even a 100% starvation diet will only cut about 4 lbs a week....so it is impossible for people to cut more than this ....and in most cases, even on a 1000 cal/day serious diet and a little exercise (like walking 3 miles a day)...2.5 or 3 lbs a week is maximum loss rate.
    6) I lost over 40 lbs and it took about 9 months using the above basic math.
    7) Something does happen when you start to exercise....the body becomes a fat burning furnace.
    8) I've read a lot on this - and it is claimed that exercise in Heart Rate Zone 1, 2 and even into 3 uses body fat as a nearly exclusive fuel. BTW HRZ1 = walking, HRZ2 = hard walking to even slow jog, HRZ3 = jog - run.....once you start running, the body goes for the stored glycogen (sugar) in the blood and liver for fuel (about 2000 stored cal of fuel....this is why marathon runners hit the "wall" at 18 miles or so...they have used up all the glycogen)....so the key is moderate exercise...not serious high output......that said, at hig output, you will probably burn more calories total...so back to the calorie balance argument.
    9) Any fat you eat cannot be directly used as fuel.....you might as well take every gram of fat you eat and inject it directly into your muscle.....fat must go onto body prior to being used as fuel.
    10) Walk a mile (or run a mile) burns 100 - 150 calories depending no your size......200 lb guy = 120 cals to brisk walk a mile....and you only need about 140 to run it....so all that really matters is do the distance. Walk for 2 hours and skip dinner and burn 1000 calories from walking and avoid another 800 - 1000 from eating = over 0.5 lb loss a day = 3.5 - 4.0 lbs a week.

I love thinking this way:

Go to your fridge.....look at a stick of butter......every stick is 0.25 lbs of fat....every 1 Lb of weight loss is just like removing 4 sticks of butter from your body........I lost 180 sticks of butter off this past year.

Another way to picture this.....fat is roughly about 1.0 specific gravity...and so is water.......water = 1 lb for every pint.....a gallon = 8 lbs......I lost 5.5 gallons of fat.......take a look at a standard milk crate...they hold 4 gallons of milk .....that is a big chunk of body......nearly 1.5 "milk crates" have disappeared off my body.

This is all you need to know about weight loss....simple facts and math.

It took a long time to add all that weight and it will take a long time to get rid of it....plan on many months to a year of reasonable effort.

For me...I just started eating about 50% of my normal portion size.

Also - once it is off....it is easy to keep it off as compared to the loss period.....once you get to your target weight.....you get to add back in all those calories you were dieting....perhaps you get to increase intake by 500 calories a day at that time...and if you keep exercising...you get to add those back in as well.

54. Post #40

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprick View Post
    Weight loss is MOSTLY simple caloric balance:

1) 3500 cal debt = 1 lost pound....3500 surplus = 1 lb gained.
    2) Men need about 11 calories per lb of body weight to hold that weight, assuming "normal" activity levels. Women only get 10 cal/lb.
    3) Example: 200 lb man needs about 2200 cal a day.
    4) You can run the calorie debt through less intake or more output (exercise) or a combination.
    5) Based on above math.....even a 100% starvation diet will only cut about 4 lbs a week....so it is impossible for people to cut more than this ....and in most cases, even on a 1000 cal/day serious diet and a little exercise (like walking 3 miles a day)...2.5 or 3 lbs a week is maximum loss rate.
    6) I lost over 40 lbs and it took about 9 months using the above basic math.
    7) Something does happen when you start to exercise....the body becomes a fat burning furnace.
    8) I've read a lot on this - and it is claimed that exercise in Heart Rate Zone 1, 2 and even into 3 uses body fat as a nearly exclusive fuel. BTW HRZ1 = walking, HRZ2 = hard walking to even slow jog, HRZ3 = jog - run.....once you start running, the body goes for the stored glycogen (sugar) in the blood and liver for fuel (about 2000 stored cal of fuel....this is why marathon runners hit the "wall" at 18 miles or so...they have used up all the glycogen)....so the key is moderate exercise...not serious high output......that said, at hig output, you will probably burn more calories total...so back to the calorie balance argument.
    9) Any fat you eat cannot be directly used as fuel.....you might as well take every gram of fat you eat and inject it directly into your muscle.....fat must go onto body prior to being used as fuel.
    10) Walk a mile (or run a mile) burns 100 - 150 calories depending no your size......200 lb guy = 120 cals to brisk walk a mile....and you only need about 140 to run it....so all that really matters is do the distance. Walk for 2 hours and skip dinner and burn 1000 calories from walking and avoid another 800 - 1000 from eating = over 0.5 lb loss a day = 3.5 - 4.0 lbs a week.

I love thinking this way:

Go to your fridge.....look at a stick of butter......every stick is 0.25 lbs of fat....every 1 Lb of weight loss is just like removing 4 sticks of butter from your body........I lost 180 sticks of butter off this past year.

Another way to picture this.....fat is roughly about 1.0 specific gravity...and so is water.......water = 1 lb for every pint.....a gallon = 8 lbs......I lost 5.5 gallons of fat.......take a look at a standard milk crate...they hold 4 gallons of milk .....that is a big chunk of body to lose....nearly 1.5 "milk crates" have disappeared off my body.

This is all you need to know about weight loss....simple facts and math.

It took a long time to add all that weight and it will take a long time to get rid of it....plan on many months to a year of reasonable effort.

For me...I just started eating about 50% of my normal portion size.

Also - once it is off....it is easy to keep it off as compared to the loss period.....once you get to your target weight.....you get to add back in all those calories you were dieting....perhaps you get to increase intake by 500 calories a day at that time...and if you keep exercising...you get to add those back in as well.
    What you say is undeniably true, as far as it goes. But you only have to eat an extra 20 calories a day to put on 20 pounds over 10 years. You could start at the correct weight in your early twenties and be obese by the time you reach middle age. Now, exactly how much is 20 calories? Nearly nothing. I defy anyone to maintain a balance of calories in through eating to calories out through exercise to that degree of accuracy. Isn't going to happen.

So what is the mechanism by which most of us manage to overeat in spite of our best intentions? Some have suggested that simple, refined carbohydrates (like white flour and sugars) are the culprit. The digestive system quickly turns these carbs into glucose. And, when they pass into our blood streams, the pancreas spikes our insulin levels. All the endocrinology textbooks tell us that insulin instructs fat cells to store glucose as fat. And when they do, after the spike in insulin levels from eating bread, gravy, potatoes, rice, fruit juice, the glucose is no longer available for energy production and we're hungry again -- even though, technically speaking, we may have eaten enough calories.

The idea behind lowering carb intake is to force the body to metabolize fat for energy production. To ensure that you're not hungry, you are encouraged to eat as much low-carb food as you want. No insulin spike, no overeating and no weight gain. It seems to be working for me.

I am an active guy for my age already. I walk and I cycle. The traditional recommendation for losing weight (eat less and exercise more) doesn't appeal to me because it is a prescription for being hungry all the time. My plan is to get the weight off and then to reintroduce carbs into my diet gradually and make sure I don't overdo them, as I obviously have done in the past.
    William Shakespeare

55. Post #41

Thanks

Just a quick update. I've lost 15 pounds now and I'm zeroing in on 16. The beauty of the low-carb diet is that you don't go hungry. I had a corned beef hash omellete with cheese, green pepper and onion for breakfast; a huge salad with tuna salad for lunch; and steamed cauliflower, turnip greens with bacon and onion, and baked chicken breast for dinner. I am in a state of ketosis and the pounds continue to slip away.
    William Shakespeare

56. Post #42

Thanks

Back in Frebruary, I told TomD that I planned to reintroduce carbs gradually after I reached my target weight. Well, I didn't last that long. Before I reached my target, I decided that life wasn't much worth living without hash brown potatoes and rye bread, lol. So I fell off the low-carb wagon right about the time I had lost 15 pounds.

But, guess what? I went on to lose another 10 pounds anyway, achieving my target weight of 149 pounds for short stuff at 5' 6" tall. All accomplished because I've cut my weekend breakfast treat toast allocation to 1 slice from 2, and because whenever the restaurant puts potatoes in front of me, I never eat more than half.

Coupled with a diet that's heavy in greens (I eat a salad every day; but it never contains lettuce), my reduced carbohydrate diet has cut my average caloric intake, but has not left me hungry or feeling deprived. After all, I'm saving and using bacon fat, now. And, enjoying the energy that comes from having so much less weight to carry around. I have not been working out, much less, doing pushups. But today, I dropped to the floor and cranked out 26.

I know you middle aged guys who've taken care of yourselve may be not much impressed by that. But, for me, who a few short months ago was packing an extra 25 pounds... Priceless.

And, thank you, TomD. You've been my physical fitness mentor in this forum. Won't give you idol status yet; but you're working your way up there.
    Last edited by Merlin; 10-01-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    William Shakespeare

57. Post #43

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner K_Flynn's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for you, Merlin.

Whenever someone tries to tell you low carb is unhealthy, just remember that prehistoric man ate mostly meat and animal fat, with a few greens, a few fruits (with far less sugar than modern varieties), and NO grains or refined sugar. The human body adapted to that diet over hundreds of thousands of years.

Also: saturated fat is a good thing! Where in nature are you going to get vegetable oil without using chemicals or machinery!?
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

58. Post #44

Thanks

I am only 5 foot 9, and was just under 220 pounds, felt like hell, and wearing size 40 pants. My good friend is a an MD and a diabetic. We were discussing diet a few years ago and the subject of diet soda came up, here was his information that I was then, not aware.

Any "diet" soda or any "fake" sugar substitute tricks your body. Since I am not a medical specialist, this will be in plain, non-medical terms. Your tongue senses sweet when you consume any sugar substitute, and sends a message to your brain that you are eating sugar, so your brain sends a message to your whatever to produce insulin to burn up the sugar, but you ate a chemical substitute, not real sugar, so your blood glucose level drops and your brain tells you that you need to eat something to bring your blood glucose level back up where it belongs. If you are avoiding sugar due to calories, you will crave the nearest sugar substitute, carbs: bread, pasta, etc. and you will tend to over eat.

I gave up all sodas and substituted black coffee for my caffeine fix, lost 25 pounds over a six month period. I ate everything I wanted and the transition was absolutely painless.

Additionally, I was a big bourbon on the rocks drinker. MD buddy switched me from hard liquor to red wines, especially Merlot and Cabernet, which I now enjoy immensely, and I drink a TON of red wine on a daily basis, normally one bottle per day, sometimes more.

Then, my MD pal enticed me to avoid any partially hydrogenated oils in food and I became a label reader, lost an additional 25 pounds over a six month period. I eat real everything, butter, bacon, olive oil, cheese burgers, beer, you name it. But, everything I eat is real food, no diet crap, no low calorie stuff, no reduced fat anything.

He explained that "partially hydrogenated" oils are oils that are heated to a temperature just above their smoking point, but under high pressure, so they turn from a liquid to a semi-solid, Crisco, margarine, and so forth. If you look at the molecular structure of a partially hydrogenated oil, it is only one molecule away from becoming a plastic. Your body does not recognize this as a food source and does not know what to do with it, so it ends up clogging up your arteries. That's why we all get heart disease and need bypass surgery now at age 60 or so. Our grandparents did not have these problems because they ate real food.

I have leveled off at 170 pounds and wear size 34 pants now.

Forget all these fad diets, just try this. Stop drinking soda, increase black coffee intake, drink red wine every day (one cup or so is sufficient, more is OK), discontinue partially hydrogenated oils in any food, add extra virgin olive oil to your diet, take some vitamin E and fish oil capsules, eat real food, no BS diet or low calorie anything. The results for me were excellent.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to Wellsburg For This Useful Post:

Merlin (12-28-2013)

60. Post #45

Thanks
    Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,133 Posts

Love my collards, kale, chard, beet leaves, etc.

There is something called a 'tree kale' or 'tree collards' that is a perennial version that is, well, treeish. This guy is in N. Cali.

Here is a health tip:
    cooked oil makes you fat, raw oil does not
    sautee those greens in water with garlic and sea salt, then add olive oil and fresh black pepper (or hot sauce) after you are done cooking. This is healthier and most good olive oil will retain more subtle flavors raw than cooked.

“Half the people in the world think that the metaphors of their religious traditions, for example, are facts. And the other half contends that they are not facts at all. As a result we have people who consider themselves believers because they accept metaphors as facts, and we have others who classify themselves as atheists because they think religious metaphors are lies.” - Joseph Campbell