Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Who buys fractional gold; should I add this to my payday stacks and why?

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Unsustainable's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Who buys fractional gold; should I add this to my payday stacks and why?

I like to purchase some ASE each payday to continue adding to the stacks/tubes/boxes in addition to any cash savings.
    I haven't bought any gold since the last bank cd was converted to tubes of 1 oz AGE's. Nor have I converted any silver to gold (watching the ratio).

Wealth-wise I'm ~ 70% gold / 30% silver.

Considering the higher premiums is buying some fractional AGE each payday pissing $ into a hole vs continued purchase of ASE. or maybe get some of both ?

Fractional AGE are paying more for less, longer speculation to recoup the premium, but it's more affordable on a short term basis despite not being what I consider a "value" for the few $ I have.

I'm leaning to just continue the ASE payday purchases, continue building the silver savings acct toward the day I convert it to gold.

2. Post #2

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 592 Posts

Default Re: Who buys fractional gold; should I add this to my payday stacks and why?

Why convert to gold? Unless portability is a concern, right now silver has a much higher upside potential imho.

Also, the $600 reporting rule has not been repealed yet, so there will be less paperwork involved with silver unless this changes.

I like both, I have been buying all silver lately, but only because I have a really good deal going with some 90% silver supply that I am trying to buy up.

The fractionals have a crazy premium on them...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to techguy2 For This Useful Post:

keepitlow (02-13-2011)

4. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner graspAU's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Who buys fractional gold; should I add this to my payday stacks and why?

If you watch for some deals, you can get fractionals sometimes at equivalent prices to 1 ounce gold coins. I have seen this happen on apmex (rarely) and at my local dealer. At the local dealer, he charges the same premium on 1oz of gold whether it's a single 1oz coin or any combination of fractionals. Very few people walk in to buy gold from him right now so he just wants to take whatever opportunity he has to keep the inventory rolling over and get the commission.

I agree with tech guy's logic, but if you have no fractional gold, look for some at a reasonable markup. Buy both silver and gold.

5. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner chinmusic's Avatar
    Thanks

In a few years time we will look back on these days and wonder why we cared about premiums for Ag or Au or food priced in FRNs. Dump the paper and load up on a basket(s) of many different hard assets.

And remember, it is growing increasingly more likely that in the coming years converting an ounce of Au into something you need for your day to day living will become more and more restrictive due to the high price of the Au. It will benefit people to have a handful of 1/4 and 1/10 oz. pieces to cash in piecemeal.
    "Revolution begins in the minds of men, long before any shots are fired or blood is shed." John Adams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chinmusic For This Useful Post:

Sampson (02-13-2011)

7. Post #5

Silver Member
    Thanks

I also desire to buy fractionals but the premiums are sky high most of the time.

Like graspAU stated, rarely Apmex has a good deal. I grabbed some 1/4oz kangaroos from Apmex at $48 over spot per OUNCE. This was around Thanksgiving of '09.

I haven't seen such a deal since. Though I continually search their inventory just in case something comes available.

IMHO, tenths at nearly $200 over spot per oz is crazy.
    *Disclosure: long physical gold, silver and mining shares

8. Post #6

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techguy2 View Post
    Why convert to gold? Unless portability is a concern, right now silver has a much higher upside potential imho.
    I disagree. Since the G/S ratio has dropped to around 46 from 65, now is the time to convert to gold.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to breycor For This Useful Post:

Rusty Shackelford (02-13-2011)

10. Post #7

Thanks

If I can pick them up for the same as non fractional (ie. $140 for a 1/10th oz, $1,400 for 1 oz), then I will. I have a place that will do that when they have them. Though I know another place that wants $160 for the same, and I won't buy at that premium. Too bad I lost them all in that boating accident though.

11. Post #8

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,335 Times in 7,486 Posts

Foreign fractional gold carries much less of a premium than the more recognized gold like eagles and krugs. All the newbies to the market are driving up premiums on the easy stuff, IMO.

Krugerrands and suisse bars used to be the cheapest way to get gold fractionals, but no more. Look into them, many sizes are available from Mexico, Switzerland, UK, Netherlands, France, Germany etc at great prices.

Attachment 6526

Attachment 6527

Attachment 6528

Attachment 6529
    Last edited by Irons; 02-13-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

bemac (02-13-2011), spathatos (02-14-2011), Unsustainable (02-13-2011)

13. Post #9

Gold Member
    Thanks

Agree with Irons. Provident sells 20 Peso coins (.4823 oz) for $16 over SPOT. About $35 an oz premium, plus $12 shipping for one or two coins makes it under $50 an oz premium to your door.

The 4 Ducats are also one of my favorites, and their about $10 an oz more than the pesos.

I agree though, tenths are difficult for premiums! At this point, I consider silver my small gold fractional. The smallest I'll buy now are the 10g Pamp Suisse bars at a little under $50 an oz premium (plus shipping).

14. Post #10

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KGMe View Post
    Agree with Irons. Provident sells 20 Peso coins (.4823 oz) for $16 over SPOT. About $35 an oz premium, plus $12 shipping for one or two coins makes it under $50 an oz premium to your door.

The 4 Ducats are also one of my favorites, and their about $10 an oz more than the pesos.

I agree though, tenths are difficult for premiums! At this point, I consider silver my small gold fractional. The smallest I'll buy now are the 10g Pamp Suisse bars at a little under $50 an oz premium (plus shipping).
    My gold guy has a few of the dos peso coins again, I'm going to swing by and grab a couple. Those little fellas grow on you after the first few!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

MISRy (02-13-2011)

16. Post #11

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    My gold guy has a few of the dos peso coins again, I'm going to swing by and grab a couple. Those little fellas grow on you after the first few!
    Definitely. To me, Mexican Pesos are about the best deal for twentieth and tenth fractionals you can purchase. I wish I'd discovered them sooner. I've been debating on what gold to add to my payday purchase, and right now I'm leaning towards Pesos. Strangely, they seem to be much more expensive on eBay than through a dealer.

17. Post #12

Thanks

Those little fellas grow on you after the first few!
    They are what I push to noobz. "All you need is 2 and you've got a tenth ounce, five will come along faster than you think, a quarter ounce. In the mean time add twentieths and one, two and/or two and a half gram bars and before you know it you've got an ounce."
    "To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory."

Buffoon #5

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MISRy For This Useful Post:

Irons (02-13-2011)

19. Post #13

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MISRy View Post
    They are what I push to noobz. "All you need is 2 and you've got a tenth ounce, five will come along faster than you think, a quarter ounce. In the mean time add twentieths and one, two and/or two and a half gram bars and before you know it you've got an ounce."
    It's all your fault I got into these odd size gold pieces, me and my wallet now Thank You!~

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

MISRy (02-13-2011)

21. Post #14

They drew first blood Juristic Person's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techguy2 View Post
    Also, the $600 reporting rule has not been repealed yet, so there will be less paperwork involved with silver unless this changes.
    What reporting rule? Reporting to who? Is it anyone elses business other than my own?
    Live your life in a manner that brings you happiness. Wealth isn't going to buy it for you.
    -Scorp

22. Post #15

Gold Member+
    Thanks

I'll only buy fracs if I'm paying less premium than the going rate. That way, if I have to sell, I won't be getting killed.

Right now, market value of 1/10 GAEs is probably $150 - $155 (gold at $1360) 14% premium

I'd probably buy at no higher than $140 - $145 6.6% premium
    --------

For bars, the most I'll accept is a 1-3% premium.

Foreign gold, I want to buy at spot.

-------
    If I cannot find any shops or parties that want to sell at my desired price, then I'm not buying. plain and simple.

23. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Unsustainable View Post
    Nor have I converted any silver to gold (watching the ratio).
    I'm leaning to just continue the ASE payday purchases, continue building the silver savings acct toward the day I convert it to gold.
    As another poster pointed out a GSR of 45 to 1 seems to be pretty darn good IMO for moving some Ag to Au. Hopes of the 16:1 "historical" ratio should not cloud you decisions.
    To all the alphabet soup guys and gals out there reading this post, HI!!!!

24. Post #17

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,123 Posts

I likes them cause they're purdy.....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    "Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants but debt is the money of slaves." Norm Franz, Money and Wealth in the New Millenium

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to <===Foolsgold For This Useful Post:

AGRO (02-13-2011), CiscoKid (02-14-2011), Irons (02-14-2011)

26. Post #18

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    As another poster pointed out a GSR of 45 to 1 seems to be pretty darn good IMO for moving some Ag to Au. Hopes of the 16:1 "historical" ratio should not cloud you decisions.
    I'm waiting/hoping for about 40:1 myself.

27. Post #19

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I think there's a decent chance that silver will spike up compared to gold. After gold and silver corrected downwards, gold has kinda been sitting in the mid 1300s, while silver has spiked back up to 30. If silver can break through the 30 barrier, it could head higher, at least for the short term.

28. Post #20

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner AGRO's Avatar
    Thanks

I just wrote a whole detailed post and pressed the space-bar and it disappeared.

so to sum it up. Yes, I do and it is worth it for the mere fact that you may not want to sell an entire ozt of gold at a time just to take a little profit off the table or buy something else with your
    money like silver or PD which is up almost 100% during the past few years.

In any case I can add buy BARS. PAMP or Credit suisse, but all in all gold is gold and it all melts the same. I have seen gold buyers cut, throw away and acid test laminated, hologrammed, serial numbered and acid test PAMP suisse bars. so as dingy or ugly as your gold is, if you can get it for less and it is stamped by a known dealer or smelter, you are good 2 go.

GOLD BARS - fractional 5 Gram bar or 3.1 gram 22k AGE? which do you want for the same price?

29. Post #21

Thanks

I'm waiting/hoping for about 40:1 myself.
    +1 Already did one stage @ 50:1 and held powder for a 40.

Buffoon #5

30. Post #22

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MISRy View Post
    +1 Already did one stage @ 50:1 and held powder for a 40.
    The thing I'll be waffling over is whether to try and wait for a 38:1 GSR in order to cover premiums on the exchange and get a true 40:1 trade.

On a side note, thanks to this stupid thread I just ordered a bunch of dos pesos. I was planning to buy another 4 Duc this payday. Next payday purchase I'm not logging in to GIM2 until I've made my buy!!!!

31. Post #23

Thanks

The thing I'll be waffling over is whether to try and wait for a 38:1 GSR in order to cover premiums on the exchange and get a true 40:1 trade.
    If you wait you'll regret, if you don't wait you'll regret. The only time you don't regret is when your holding metal.

On a side note, thanks to this stupid thread I just ordered a bunch of dos pesos. I was planning to buy another 4 Duc this payday. Next payday purchase I'm not logging in to GIM2 until I've made my buy!!!!
    That drove me crazy the first few times. We discuss dos pesos, I find a deal for dos pesos. We talk about pre-`33, I get a can't pass on pre-`33. I try to downplay silver, I go right out and dip into serious powder for Morgans that weekend. I still haven't figured it out but I've grown comfortable rolling with it. After all, if it's a good thing why fight it?

Buffoon #5

32. The Following User Says Thank You to MISRy For This Useful Post:

KGMe (02-13-2011)

33. Post #24

Gold Member
    Thanks

True, true, true, and true.

When it comes to PM's I seem to have become an impulse shopper. The good thing about that is I'm not wasting money on crap from China that sits in a closet. The bad thing is I never seem to stick to a plan for PM's. Oh well, as long as the pile grows (regardless of with what), it's all good.

34. Post #25

Gold Member
    Thanks

Dos pesos should be called dos pesitos they are so tiny.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pay dirt For This Useful Post:

earplugs (02-14-2011), Irons (02-14-2011)

36. Post #26

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner odu's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Irons;149340]Foreign fractional gold carries much less of a premium than the more recognized gold like eagles and krugs. Look into them, many sizes are available from Mexico, Switzerland, UK, Netherlands, France, Germany etc at great prices.

The old Dutch golden 10 guilder piece (about 6 grams of gold content) can be had for 0-2% over spot if you look around. Availablility is good, not sure how well-recognised these coins are in the USA though. For a picture see avatar.

37. Post #27

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

[QUOTE=odu;149697]
    Foreign fractional gold carries much less of a premium than the more recognized gold like eagles and krugs. Look into them, many sizes are available from Mexico, Switzerland, UK, Netherlands, France, Germany etc at great prices.

The old Dutch golden 10 guilder piece (about 6 grams of gold content) can be had for 0-2% over spot if you look around. Availablility is good, not sure how well-recognised these coins are in the USA though. For a picture see avatar.
    I have found a couple of them here and I will look for more, I like them too. Just a hair under 1/5 oz.~

Attachment 6538Attachment 6537

38. Post #28

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pay dirt View Post
    Dos pesos should be called dos pesitos they are so tiny.
    Yep, don't sneeze around 'em.

39. Post #29

They all look good through beer goggles... CiscoKid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,116 Posts

I keep a hardwood box in my basement that I throw my FRNs in until they become sufficient for an oz. of suisse. I do this primarily to cut down on the premiums. However, after reading this thread there may be some fractionals in my future. Thank you Foolsgold for the lovely pictures.
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-o-cra-cy)a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CiscoKid For This Useful Post:

<===Foolsgold (02-14-2011), KGMe (02-14-2011)

41. Post #30

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner SNICKLE 1980's Avatar
    Thanks

my goal last year was to fill a tube with 10th eagles. why? because i'm too poor to buy the big ones. but then i looked over and saw those swiss 20 francs. the ones with the little cross on em. for a few extra bucks, i can get .08 more gold in a wider coin and nothing says gold like swiss, right? pamp swiss, credit swiss, coin swiss! i can bang these around and not worry about the premium and i can snag em every month or so instead of waiting. i hate waiting. the only thing that annoys me is the strange weight. i like my weights to be nice and even, but at the end of the day, gold is gold.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SNICKLE 1980 For This Useful Post:

Irons (02-14-2011), KGMe (02-14-2011), Ragnarok (02-15-2011)

43. Post #31

Gold Member
    Thanks

Its either pay the premiums to get some nice fracs or in the future have one of these on hand if one doesnt want to spend an ounce all at once.

[/QUOTE]

Is the demand high in The Netherlands for the old silver 2 and half guilders?

44. Post #32

Thanks

They are considered a cheap way of getting silver, as you don't pay VAT on them, or less VAT, at the dealers. They are easy to sell, but don't expect to get much over spot, and less than spot at a dealer, unless they are from a low-mintage year or pre-'50s. https://www.tov-hazel.com/nederlands-muntzilver sells them for about $1010 per kilo of pure silver content, that's about $31.40 per ounce of pure silver. They say they will sell them in quantity at 3% over spot, they buy at 6% under spot.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to odu For This Useful Post:

pay dirt (02-14-2011)

46. Post #33

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <===Foolsgold View Post
    I likes them cause they're purdy.....
    I love that pic!!~

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

<===Foolsgold (02-14-2011)

48. Post #34

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 883 Posts

When I have some spare FRNs, I go to my pusher to see if there are any Prospectors, Maples, Libertads, Kooks, or blemished SAEs at generic spot. Lacking those, I'll ask for any foreign fractionals that they may have and can usually get them at melt.

So basically:

Silver rounds for investment.
    Foreign Gold for fun.

As far as 'trading up', the GSR is below 45, and I am still hesitant to trade. My original plan was to pull the trigger at 50, but I completely ignored that. Then it was 45. Again, don't feel the urge to pull the trigger and trade away some of my generic rounds for Gold. If it hits 40, I'll probably get some generic rounds ready for trade and as soon as I feel the GSR is headed back, I'll pull the trigger just to cycle out the generic rounds and go for some fractional Gold.

49. Post #35

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by odu View Post
    They are considered a cheap way of getting silver, as you don't pay VAT on them, or less VAT, at the dealers. They are easy to sell, but don't expect to get much over spot, and less than spot at a dealer, unless they are from a low-mintage year or pre-'50s. https://www.tov-hazel.com/nederlands-muntzilver sells them for about $1010 per kilo of pure silver content, that's about $31.40 per ounce of pure silver. They say they will sell them in quantity at 3% over spot, they buy at 6% under spot.
    Basically like junk silver in Canada and US. Are there any numi dates? Found a Dutch 1941 25cent almost uncirculated cent and a 1928 25 cent. Makes sense they dont tax the old currency, same way in parts of the US.

50. Post #36

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Buck View Post
    As far as 'trading up', the GSR is below 45, and I am still hesitant to trade. My original plan was to pull the trigger at 50, but I completely ignored that. Then it was 45. Again, don't feel the urge to pull the trigger and trade away some of my generic rounds for Gold. If it hits 40, I'll probably get some generic rounds ready for trade and as soon as I feel the GSR is headed back, I'll pull the trigger just to cycle out the generic rounds and go for some fractional Gold.
    My original plan was 45. Still cringing as I quietly root for 40. Got a load of ugly 1 oz bars I'd like to dump. If it hits 41 or 42, I doubt I'll actually wait for 40.

51. Post #37

Thanks

Basically like junk silver in Canada and US. Are there any numi dates? Found a Dutch 1941 25cent almost uncirculated cent and a 1928 25 cent.
    If you were to buy those at a dealer in The Netherlands, about $5-$30 for the 1928, depending on the quality. The 1941 one could be the normal version, the version struck in the USA or even a zinc one (yes, zinc, German occupation was a btch). Price depends on that. I'm not enough of an expert to tell.

52. Post #38

Gold Member
    Thanks

Maybe need to start a new thread on Guilders sort of hijacking this one. The 41 25 cent looks identical to the 1928 one. Read about the occupation and seen pics of the zinc one. Figured the 41 silver must have been made right before the occupation. Didnt know they made them in USA, thats interesting. Its quite possible that this coin may have never even been in the Netherlands.

53. Post #39

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SNICKLE 1980 View Post
    my goal last year was to fill a tube with 10th eagles. why? because i'm too poor to buy the big ones. but then i looked over and saw those swiss 20 francs. the ones with the little cross on em. for a few extra bucks, i can get .08 more gold in a wider coin and nothing says gold like swiss, right? pamp swiss, credit swiss, coin swiss! i can bang these around and not worry about the premium and i can snag em every month or so instead of waiting. i hate waiting. the only thing that annoys me is the strange weight. i like my weights to be nice and even, but at the end of the day, gold is gold.

As I'm a student and just as poor, my goal is also to fill a tube with those coins. At the same time I keep finding myself buying foreign gold since the premiums are better.

54. Post #40

Thanks

Maybe need to start a new thread on Guilders sort of hijacking this one. The 41 25 cent looks identical to the 1928 one. Read about the occupation and seen pics of the zinc one. Figured the 41 silver must have been made right before the occupation. Didnt know they made them in USA, thats interesting. Its quite possible that this coin may have never even been in the Netherlands.
    Some were struck in the USA for use in the colonies. You can tell by looking at the privy marks on the reverse side under the year. If it has a bunch of grapes and a staff of Aesculapius it was struck in The Netherlands, if it has a palm tree and the letter P it was struck in the USA, the latter being much rarer, it can fetch up to about $50 if it is FDC/UNC.