Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Melted gold - illegal to sell?

1. Post #1

Thanks

Default Melted gold - illegal to sell?

Was at the local gold place today and a couple came in with what appeared to be almost an ounce lump of gold. The story was the husband went to town on his class ring with a blowtorch. Now I understand that it might be hard to value, being as most class rings are 12k to 18k, but I was truly surprised when I heard the gold store employee spout off that it was illegal to sell melted gold.

Any chance this has any relation to reality? I can see law enforcement wanting a way to track all purchases, and a lump of gold that was formerly a ring would be hard to track.

I've heard this same clerk pass off nonsense as fact in the past, so everything I hear him say is suspect to me.

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 713 Posts

Default Re: Melted gold - illegal to sell?

Nonsense, melted so-called nuggets are sold all the time. And btw, most class rings are 10k so I doubt they'd get much of an offer for their gold blob. One of my early wives had my class ring melted down as a birthday surprise gift pendant. I wanted to kick her ass and did eventually. :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jogslvr For This Useful Post:

slackercruster (02-25-2011)

4. Post #3

Big Lizard Moderator Argent Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Usc96 View Post
    ......but I was truly surprised when I heard the gold store employee spout off that it was illegal to sell melted gold.
    He's an inexperienced twit. What he meant was that he doesn't want to take the time to properly value it. Lots of dealer want the 'easy' buy and be able to give a quick estimate (always lower than spot by about 5-10%). It's his choice to only purchase 'stamped' gold if that's what he's comfortable with. Chances are that he doesn't trust his testing equipment.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”-Thomas Jefferson

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." - Gen Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Argent Dragon For This Useful Post:

6. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

I call BS. The employee evidently does not know how to test for 10K or 14K purity and is lazy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wellsburg For This Useful Post:

8. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 883 Posts

My local pusher has offered me melted gold in the past.

I'll pick some up if I ever get the chance again (just to have something a bit different).

9. Post #6

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,659 Times in 4,236 Posts

First problem, no way of knowing that it was a homogeneous melt. Ergo, no way to do a reliable counter top test for purity. Second problem, most dealers are subject to holding times for the scrap that they purchase. The scrap must be maintained in its original state for inspection by law enforcement officers. Lumps of melted gold just might arouse the suspicions of law enforcement officers. No, the guy wasn't necessarily an inexperienced twit. JMHO.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

Montecristo (02-28-2011), Mr. Shiny (02-28-2011)

11. Post #7

Thanks

If I had a PM buying business, I turn down mystery gold too. No fibbing, just no sale!
    You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

12. Post #8

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

No, it's not illegal, but I would recommend letting the melted gold solidify before trying to sell it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mc68386 For This Useful Post:

Zed (02-28-2011)

14. Post #9

Gold Member+
    Thanks

not illegal, but any smart buyer would test the item and also offer you less than what the gold content is.

15. Post #10

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    First problem, no way of knowing that it was a homogeneous melt. Ergo, no way to do a reliable counter top test for purity. Second problem, most dealers are subject to holding times for the scrap that they purchase. The scrap must be maintained in its original state for inspection by law enforcement officers. Lumps of melted gold just might arouse the suspicions of law enforcement officers. No, the guy wasn't necessarily an inexperienced twit. JMHO.
    The answer is no; it's not illegal.

16. Post #11

Thanks

Illegal? No.
    Wise? About as wise as being a pawn shop and buying firearms with the serial ground off, you know damn well that lump o' gold is stolen. It's the classic way of 'fencing' stolen gold, you can provide seven forms of I.D., mug shot, fingerprints, retinal scan & DNA and never be linked to the property.

It's much easier to tell the customer "Cain't do it, it's illegal" than "Cain't do it, 'cause you stole some jewelry and melted it, and in spite of that fact you went through all that trouble, it's still stolen"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Shiny For This Useful Post:

Montecristo (02-28-2011)

18. Post #12

Thanks

To play devil's advocate, I wonder how a pawn shop receiving plain vanilla American eagles can assist the cops in any way? Say someone reports a theft of ten gold eagles. Two or three show up at the local pawn shop. How can the cops and the pawn shop owner conclusively prove they belonged to the crime victim? Do they interrogate everyone selling eagles? Just the shady looking sellers? Do the cops follow up with every seller asking for affirmation of where they got their generic American eagles?

Not the same as a lump of gold that resembles a former class ring, but difficult to prove a crime nonetheless.

19. Post #13

Thanks

Slightly off topic, how do dealers buy nuggets and flakes of gold from prospectors?
    You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

20. Post #14

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,659 Times in 4,236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by latemetal View Post
    Slightly off topic, how do dealers buy nuggets and flakes of gold from prospectors?
    Usually by weight.
    Seriously, knowing of the placer source helps a bit with the purity factor. Large quantities of fine stuff are purchased on a melt and assay basis.