Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Buying Survival Food from a Mormon Cannery

1. Post #1

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

Default Buying Survival Food from a Mormon Cannery

If there is a Mormon Cannery near you it is worth checking out. I recently bought 450 pounds of rice, pinto beans, and rolled oats already packed in #10 metal cans with oxygen absorbers. Total cost was about 400 dollars. I also bought 800 pounds of hard red winter wheat in #10 cans for 400 dollars. You can also order the same food from the LDS website but shipping will add a lot to these prices.

If you are not a member of the Mormon Church, call first to ask if they sell to non-members. Some canneries are members only. Try to get the first name of the person you speak to without seeming pushy. In my case the cannery manager did not want to sell to me after I had called ahead and drove 50 miles. What clinched the deal is the fact that I had the name of the lady I spoke with. He was trapped and had to let me buy the food. I think that some church members do not like selling food to non-Mormons. Any big organization will have factions who do not agree with the leaders.

Make sure you have a vehicle big enough to carry the cases of cans. The cases are about 7 inches high by 12 inches wide by 18 inches long. Each case holds 6 #10 cans and weighs about 30 pounds.

When visiting, clean up, dress very conservatively and be excessively polite and patient. Leave the T-shirt with nasty sayings at home. Leave politics and any militant attitude at the front door. I lived near Mormons for 20 years and they seem to be offended by pushy, loud people. The cannery manager can and will send you packing if you do not behave. Think of this as playing a role so you can buy 30 pounds of professionally packed wheat for 18 dollars. These are the current prices for a case of wheat! In my case, I politely said I was not a church member but had a big family and was worried about feeding them all in a down economy (This is all true in my case)

Bring cash to pay for the food, unless you call ahead and verify that the cannery will take a check or credit card. I think that cash is king because it gives them one less reason to reject the sale. Cash will work when the credit card terminal is down.

I do not want to give the impression that I dislike Mormons or do not hold them in high regard. Thanks to them, my family is now less likely to starve.

Thanks for reading

Justtom

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justtom For This Useful Post:

dc7 (03-05-2011), latemetal (03-06-2011), mispillion (03-06-2011), Ragnarok (03-06-2011)

3. Post #2

Lawn Protected by Guns Of Avalon Avalon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,159 Posts

Default Re: Buying Survival Food from a Mormon Cannery

I go to the cannery frequently and pack food.. Some Mormon canneries will allow you to join packing sessions if there is an opening. If you have a friend in the church they will almost always let you join..That opens the menu up to dried milk, apples, carrots, macaroni and other assorted items.

I have been many times over the last few years with my local survivalist friends. The Mormons have treated us wonderfully. They really are the original American survivalist. They have a comprehensive program for food storage and self sufficiency. I cant say enough good things about how well our group has been received over the last three years. One problem though. The church is really riding their own members who are not prepared. Its getting busy at most canneries and the prices are going up. They hold press steady until they cant anymore.
    We went last Sat and packed over 800 assorted cans. 400 of those cans was for a single non church member woman who drove up form the coast. People are waking up.

4. Post #3

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Nickelless's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,296 Posts

Default Re: Buying Survival Food from a Mormon Cannery

Thanks for sharing that, Tom. I've seen a couple items on one of the Mormon cannery websites that are MUCH cheaper than anywhere else and I hope to make a purchase from one of their canneries very soon.
    Coffee diem: Seize Juan Valdez!