Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Guns and SHTF for home defense

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 774 Posts

Default Guns and SHTF for home defense

I hope I never have to shoot anyone but I will if I have to. What kind of weapon would you use for such a scenario? A shotgun and shtf home defense indoors would get messy. Would be difficult to clean and get new carpet during a shtf scenario. Handguns are better for going around corners and such but with less stopping power. Carbines have better stopping power than handguns but I don't know how messy they would get.

Best scenario of course is to try to secure the home from break-ins with reinforced doors and smash resistant glass and then have your weapon ready when you hear somebody trying to break-in to stop them from coming in.

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 1,144 Posts

Default Re: Guns and SHTF for home defense

PD,
    Good post. A lot of people are thinking this these days.
    I recently had an experience where it helped greatly that my home did not "look " accessible.
    The guy went elsewhere and I even watched him do it.
    I have a decorative ( well, I call it decorative..heh ) fence in the FRONT yard and two layers of fence in the back.
    Full blinds and an iron / steel gate.
    I had always heard about the " look " but had never experienced it.
    For the determined intruder, that would be a different story would it not ?
    I think that you should not worry the least about your carpet, your strato lounger sofa or anything else that comes between you and your family.
    And you should have both a good pistol and a shotgun at the least.
    I am sure that more of the gun savy guys here will chime in.
    And I am sure that you chose wisely and get something soon.
    Regards, always enjoy your posts.
    Haystackneedle

3. Post #3

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Nickelless's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,315 Posts

Hystckndle, can you post pictures of the "decorative" fences without compromising your security measures?
    A communist, a Muslim and an illegal alien walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Hello, Mr. President!"

4. Post #4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by platinumdude View Post
    I hope I never have to shoot anyone but I will if I have to. What kind of weapon would you use for such a scenario? A shotgun and shtf home defense indoors would get messy. Would be difficult to clean and get new carpet during a shtf scenario. Handguns are better for going around corners and such but with less stopping power. Carbines have better stopping power than handguns but I don't know how messy they would get.

Best scenario of course is to try to secure the home from break-ins with reinforced doors and smash resistant glass and then have your weapon ready when you hear somebody trying to break-in to stop them from coming in.
    Secure (baracade) the windows and doors from break-in, then bullet-proof your safe room, then all the exterior walls of your home including windows. Think lots of sandbags. Then clear "kill zones" around the perimeter of your yard. Fire-proof your roof or run a sprinkler system along the apex to put out fires caused by firebombs. Don't forget to cut gunports in strategic places around your exterior walls, well-buttressed with steel plating and more sandbags.

Then six-foot (ten is better) chain link fence with razor wire around the periphery of your property. This will keep anyone from getting in close without alerting the dogs and occupants. Prepare for a long-term siege with food, water, communications, medical supplies, auxiliary lighting, plenty of weapons and ammo. Use the drapes and carpets to wrap bodies in for back-yard burning. Douse them good with kerosene first.

Did I leave out anything? How about several armed neighbors watching your back. Or leave town. You did mention SHTF?

Pre-SHTF, a Marlin 357 lever rifle, maybe Mini-14 in 223, etc., if you are concerned about post-shooting litigation. Then shotgun and pistol.
    Last edited by SilverCity; 04-09-2010 at 11:00 PM.

5. Post #5

Gold Member+
    Thanks

if shtf, you could just rip out the carpets and live on concrete/wood if you had to. When dealing with a breakin, cleaning blood stains would be the least of my worries. After the deed is done, I'd worry first about whether to inform teh authorities or ditch the body in the woods.

6. Post #6

Gold Member
    Thanks

Shotgun for when intruder is trying to break in a door or window. The pieces of wood and or glass is enough to make mortal wounds. Outside cameras to let one know what is out there without getting in front of a window. Always wanted a tunnel that went outside so could sneak out and be able to watch from a vantage point. They never expect one to be attacking from rear, the most vulnerable point.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pay dirt For This Useful Post:

SilverCity (04-09-2010)

8. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelless View Post
    Hystckndle, can you post pictures of the "decorative" fences without compromising your security measures?
    Hello Nickelless, well, it is pretty easy to "envision",
    I'll give you a wordy description and maybe a photo tomorrow when it is light out. ( OK ?) and it is totally 100% blue collar and very boring.
    In front of the 50's block bungalow I live in I have about 60 lft or so of those pressure treated ( still not stained as wife and I are still arguing about the color..heh ) 1/2 high picket fences from the Homo Depot or Lowes in a 1/2 moon kinda shape around the front of the house corner to corner.
    Not very decorative to some people, but I used that term.
    I drill srewed all the slats because they are only stapled from the store.
    And fortified the back with 2X4 as they are as you know some 1X 3 or whatever it is standard.
    They have 4X4 posts at 6 lft O.C. set in concrete for upright support.
    In FRONT of that I have a 3 lft planter with all sorts of extra stuff from the back yard.
    I use a metal trellis with a home made gate with a heavy duty gate hasp for access into the front "courtyard".
    The back is just 6 foot 6" board stockade with all screws ( at least 6 each slat ) on slats all stick built and concrete set posts.
    All 2X4 runners and 3 of those, top, middle and bottom.
    I have an outer perimeter and then an inner perimeter around the back patio. There are only two doors, front and back for the house.
    I have in the back numerous signage posted.
    A sheriff friend told me a few years back that definitive signage is a key thing if you get into a confrontation as far as local jurisdiction goes.
    I need to get a new front door plan going, that is on the list.
    I have numerous ways to fortify and block the gates and alleys back and front, and have practiced during the hurricanes that cut power here in Florida a few years ago.
    I also have numerous floodlights with motion sensors and some of those "fake" security cameras for now with the LED red lights blinking.
    Further, and seriously, I went to WallyWorld and I bought two of the
    biggest plastic dog bowls I could find and wrote with magic marker,
    " BUTCH" on one and " SPIKE " on the other.
    True story, I have been called by the telephone guy AND the cable TV guys both to make an appointment to get into my back yard.
    ( we currently have a Cahooahoooa...hah )
    I also have some of those " Protected by " XYZ " company stuck on the windows...
    My real idea in all of this was to
    A: get a prospective interloper to look / go elsewhere.
    B: if he was intent on coming in, it would be no question that he was NOT just looking to borrow some sugar to ask to use the telephone...i.e the M.O. was to break and enter.
    Anyways....just a few comments...
    Ohh...also I forgot...I bought some bamboo about 10- 15 years ago...
    Man is it a good hedge and fencing addition to the whole idea of not looking inviting.
    Regards Nickeless

9. Post #8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pay dirt View Post
    Shotgun for when intruder is trying to break in a door or window. The pieces of wood and or glass is enough to make mortal wounds. Outside cameras to let one know what is out there without getting in front of a window. Always wanted a tunnel that went outside so could sneak out and be able to watch from a vantage point. They never expect one to be attacking from rear, the most vulnerable point.
    I have been thinking about that tunnel idea for years...

10. Post #9

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

This is the first post I've seen in which the author worries about how messy the carnage would be after a SHTF situation or home defense shooting. If you're serious I would suggest buying a gun that 1) You can handle well 2) A gun that will be nearby when actually needed 3) A gun that will quickly and reliably stop an attacker in a defensive scenario. As for those 3 points...you are probably the best judge of what gun to buy. I would not buy too small of a caliber because of cleanup worries.

11. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,027 Posts

Mess caused by a shotgun at close range inside your home: Unbelievably terrible.

Being ALIVE to clean it up: Priceless.
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eat Beef For This Useful Post:

Hystckndle (04-10-2010), platinumdude (04-10-2010), Rusty Shackelford (04-10-2010), SilverCity (04-10-2010), Usury (07-07-2010)

13. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 774 Posts

I actually already have and shoot pistols and rifles of different calibers but not a shotgun yet. I think I will in a couple of weeks. Just thinking of which one I would grab. I guess really I should stock up in bleach and paint if it ever came to that and there were no stores open to go to.

14. Post #12

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 811 Posts

one should factor in weather your rounds could possibly make it through your walls and in to your neighbors home

15. Post #13

Twisted Avatar

I actually already have and shoot pistols and rifles of different calibers but not a shotgun yet. I think I will in a couple of weeks. Just thinking of which one I would grab. I guess really I should stock up in bleach and paint if it ever came to that and there were no stores open to go to.

Dont forget your "ziplock baggies"

Get em while their cheap.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/gi-st...bag-p-474.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted Avatar For This Useful Post:

platinumdude (04-10-2010)

17. Post #14

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dirt to oil View Post
    one should factor in weather your rounds could possibly make it through your walls and in to your neighbors home
    I can appreciate that concern. However, I would think that if you are looking for a home defense firearm that wont penetrate your wall and neighbors walls then in all likelyhood you have a gun (I am thinking pistol) that is just gonna hurt the baddie and not incapcitate him. Good 3in turkey loads will devestate a perp and not get into the neighbors.
    To all the alphabet soup guys and gals out there reading this post, HI!!!!

18. Post #15

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Toxa's Avatar
    Thanks

Look in to getting an AR or AK pistol. It's a lot of fire power in a small package. I built one around RR upper with a 10 inch barrel. Keep it loaded with a 20 round mag and my own reloads.
    Here is a picture of my AR pistol.

19. Post #16

Found a way in
    Thanks

A handgun held in a proper shooting stance with arms extended will be as long as a carbine or HD shotgun. As for "getting messy" what the hell is that supposed to even mean? You are talking about killing someone it will be messy no matter how it is done. If your primary concern is preventing stains on your carpeting, don't get a firearms and get a taser and hope the guy doesn't knock over any glassware when he falls down.

If you need to protect yourself and all of your weapons were equally accessible and loaded, the most logical thing would be to grab the most powerful weapon you can employ effectively (training is necessary to be effective). Whether you grab a handgun, shotgun, or plasma rifle should be decided by which one is going to make for the least mess to clean up.

20. Post #17

Found a silver nugget Prospector BUZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toxa View Post
    Look in to getting an AR or AK pistol. It's a lot of fire power in a small package. I built one around RR upper with a 10 inch barrel. Keep it loaded with a 20 round mag and my own reloads.
    Here is a picture of my AR pistol.
    Looks like you just removed the collapsible stock.

21. Post #18

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUZ View Post
    Looks like you just removed the collapsible stock.
    What do you think it should look like?

22. Post #19

Silver Member
    Thanks

A long gun would work if you are going to barricade yourself in one room and defend the entrance.

If you will need to "clear" the house you need a handgun. It is just to dangerous to try and go from room to room with a long gun. Either the barrel is up or down, making it worthless or the barrel is way out in front of you making it an easy target for the perp to grab and wrench it away from you.

A handgun can be held in the right hand close to your side while using the left hand/arm to hold off a perp while putting holes in him with the handgun.

I hope I explained this clearly.

23. Post #20

Thanks

Something like this with a tac light would be useful for clearing the house:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 742.jpg  

24. Post #21

Found a way in
    Thanks

Your best bet is o get some training. When you have had an opportunity to employ the various weapons in simulated scenarios, you will then have an understanding of the pros and cons of each platform.

25. Post #22

Thanks

I am aware of the of the pros and cons of each one. M4 carbines and short barreled-shotguns are still standard tools-of-the-trade of most LE and military professionals engaged in tactical house-clearing scenarios.
    Last edited by SilverCity; 04-11-2010 at 10:51 PM.

26. Post #23

Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 922 Posts

Tossin in my 2cts worth

#1 Shotgun all the way ..easy to shoot -hard to miss..all purpose

#2 forget about the mess ...any mess is to much mess so why worry about the mess...the mess will be the least of your worries

#3 shooting them in the yard requires the ability to prove they had malicious intent to do you harm and werent just censius workers it is much easier to prove intent if they are in your house or their body is hanging through the window etc, someone subjested sneeking around and attacking them from behind (shooting someone in the back can get you tossed in jail even if they were breaking in your house)

27. Post #24

Getting Acclimated Prospector Mouse's Avatar
    Thanks

The mess inside the house is nothing compared to the mess in the wood shop that occurs afterwards.

28. Post #25

Thanks

I say,
    If I may intrude. My two bits. Living in Kenya we face a hell of a lot more intrusions. Usually the louder the noise the better so having a shot gun is a must. Secondly in most houses the distance between you and intruder is usually less than 10 meters. In such cases who draws first and shoots usually is the winner. Never run out of bullets. So sensibly indoors I would prefer 9mm more rounds in the mag so can shoot more. I am not intending to kill the guy but if it does happen thats great. However the idea is defense so maximum number but with enough fire power to put the intruder down.

One of a good way of defending your house is to have a grill door outside this is pad locked. It can be put together very artistically with wrought iron stuff and made to look really wonderful
    to keep the lady of the house satisfied. The second is the door itself which is the inner door. Several companies make a steel door that looks like an ordinary door but its actually a steel reinforced door that has 8 way internal bolts and has to be put up on reinforced surroundings. Grills on the inside of the windows rather than outside. This requires glass breakage before cutting can take place, so more noise. I do not know if this is legal in the states but your biggest problem is fences or rather the lack of them. Several ways to do this. First the outside perimeter. Grow a fence with thorns, add cactus if necessary or even add poison ivy. Find extremely thorny bushes which can make the outside perimeter. Bougainvillea with support helps.

next add razor wire just behind in coils so that it is engulfed into the fence. Beyond that add a secondary fence that can attain a height of at least 6 to 8 feet. Lastly beyound this use corrugated sheets and place them with supports against the fence. Make this a kind of wall that goes around the perimeter. Finally add rose bushes on the inside, or before that purchase an electric fence unit. I think its called Elefence. These units pulse out 10000 volts DC every half second on one second and it throws the intruder off. Further to that add an alarm system to the house. This includes infrared detectors, vibrators on the window grills. As a further addition add small close circuit cameras one on the outside of the front gate as well as another on the outside of the main grill door. This can be connected to your PC or lap top some systems can be connected to your system so that it informs you through your telephone or via the internet. Lastly ensure that your front gate is as equally high as the fence and that an electric fence is connected over this gate too. Lights are important and a good deterrence so detector lights in strategic position such as in trees on the fence and high on the house positioned well is a great detriment. I hope this helps.

Regds
    SAGI

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAGI For This Useful Post:

Hystckndle (05-02-2010), Lt Dan (05-02-2010)

30. Post #26

Gold Member
    Thanks

SAGI, dont forget one of these on the roof in case the intruders have a lot of friends.

The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

31. Post #27

Found a silver nugget Prospector BUZ's Avatar
    Thanks

What do you think it should look like?

I have quite a few short barrels ar's, if I just took the stock off I would not call/consider it a pistol. That's just me.

32. Post #28

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
    I am aware of the of the pros and cons of each one. M4 carbines and short barreled-shotguns are still standard tools-of-the-trade of most LE and military professionals engaged in tactical house-clearing scenarios.
    And like most of the times a long gun will serve you better than a handgun. When you get to that hard corner and you can't get enough room you can then transition to your handgun.
    "For one, I prefer dangerous liberty to peaceful slavery."

Thomas Jefferson

URL's, with or without links, are not allowed in signatures.....

33. Post #29

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner livtocruz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Avatar View Post
    Dont forget your "ziplock baggies"

Get em while their cheap.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/gi-st...bag-p-474.html
    Don't forget your zip-lock baggies. That's rich.
    Sea Ya,

M

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are." unknown

34. Post #30

Thanks

gun in that picture is incomplete and it will not work! You have to have a buffer and spring. My pistol that I built has a rra pistol buffer tube.
    If you put a butstock on a upper that has a barrel shorter then 16 inch you have to have a tax stamp and some other crap from batf.

35. Post #31

Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 885 Posts

For inside the home, I would prefer something in the 9mm class or larger for a handgun. Outside, forget it unless you are under some kind of siege by zombies. There are things to do outside that discourages intruders. Several have mentioned fences, gates, special built in structural modifications and signage. Location is also a consideration, where you may have some control. I live about 300 yards off the township road back a dead end lane, (private drive), I have a sign that says, "NO TRESPASSING" I have a detector on the drive to warn me someone is driving in. Deer, dogs, cats etc., have never set it off. I was visiting an uncle who has an eye detector on his drive, every time his dog walked around it went off, don't get that kind, mostly he said they ignored it. My neighbors are all watchful. There are actually two home on my property, my son and his family live in the other home. There is rarely a time when one of is not home. We have outdoor security lighting.

If you live where it isn't legal to have a handgun or where self-defense is not allowed, I'd move if possible. People get too attached to their location. Location is more important for self/home defense than people place on it.

Handgun first, next shotgun, but the thing I have against shotguns is the noise factor inside and the physical length of them. They are devastating weapons none the less. My first experiences with a shotgun ended up with some totally blown up small game. If you want to totally destroy something at close range, go with a shotgun.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

36. Post #32

Getting Acclimated Prospector NHMoldPro's Avatar
    Thanks

That AR pistol was awesome, though I prefer a stock on em myself....my dad had a CAR -15 that was full auto, but he had a permit for it til he got a DUI....he had a FFL too so we got shit super cheap...I like the Sig p225 through p230 series, the glock 27 mini glock 40 cal is awesome...Heckler & Koch is probably the best guns on the market, the sp 89 and mp5k were two favorites my dad liked and the Calico liberty 650 was 100rds of 9mm or .22 depending on the model........shotguns with double odd buck or heavy birdshot works in close encounters too....but I would want several shots in one if going that route, like a street sweeper...

Hopefully Obamma doesn't sign that treaty banning all guns, but I find it ironic that gun sales have gone through the roof since Obamma came into office.

37. Post #33

Getting Acclimated Prospector NHMoldPro's Avatar
    Thanks

Be sure whatever you buy feels good in your hand and not uncomfortable of too heavy because you will be most effective once it becomes an extension of yourself...the walther PPKS is nice, 7+1, it's a .380 and small and comfortable....that was the 1st pistol I fell in love with....

38. Post #34

Found a way in
    Thanks

When you come to the corner just shoot through the wall! Awareness of where you family is is key, of course.

If bad guys are inside your house, the LAST thing you should be worried about is damage and/or a mess you have to deal with. If is comes to it I plan to shoot the crap out of my whole house until I am positive we are safe!

I have shotguns and AR's in various places throughout my house, under furniture and in closets. With most of them I have heavy washers on a black string, the washers are wrapped in sports tape. These can be thrown through doors and retrieved and/or bumped into stuff to provide a distraction, then you can move and or shoot while he is looking away.

Just my $0.02.

Dog

39. Post #35

Thanks

Wink Re: Guns and SHTF for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by pay dirt View Post
    SAGI, dont forget one of these on the roof in case the intruders have a lot of friends.

Oh I love this. I know you guys think we guys in Africa go over board, and honestly it really does shit to the aesthetics of the property, but believe me you can make security beautiful too. My preference is the SMG and ping the guy at 300meters. Hell anything lower than 90 meters and I would get the SOAB with my compound bow. Silent and a hell of a lot more painful. LOL can hear the &^^%%$ screaming away as he runs down the hill with one of my serrated tips in his back end buried to the bone.
    SAGI

40. Post #36

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

gun in that picture is incomplete and it will not work! You have to have a buffer and spring. My pistol that I built has a rra pistol buffer tube.
    If you put a butstock on a upper that has a barrel shorter then 16 inch you have to have a tax stamp and some other crap from batf.
    What you're looking at, Toxa, is the Olympic Arms OA-93 AR-15 pistol. And yes, it looks just like that ... no bolt carrier buffer and return spring.

Check it out.

Unique to Olympic Arms is the OA Operations System which incorporates the recoil system into a flat top upper receiver eliminating the need for a buttstock. The OA-93 was the FIRST AR-15 pistol. $1,202.50 MSRP

AR-15 Specifications
    Receiver Material 7075 T6 Aluminum Forged Receivers Machined By Olympic Arms
    Receiver Finish Black Matte Anodized Receivers, Pakerized Steel Parts
    Action Gas Operated Semi-automatic Action
    Upper Type OA Operations flat top
    Front Sight None
    Handguard Free floating aluminum tube w/ knurled surface
    Barrel 6.5", button rifled, 416 stainless steel
    Chambering 5.56 NATO
    Bore Long-life non-chromed bore
    Twist Rate 1x7
    Muzzle Phantom flash suppressor
    Stock None
    Length 17"
    Weight 4.46 lbs

Unique to Olympic Arms is the OA Operations System which incorporates the recoil system into a flat top upper receiver eliminating the need for a buttstock. The OA-93 was the FIRST AR-15 pistol.

The OA-93 also includes:

* Flat top with picatinny rails.
    * Free floating handguard with knurled surface.
    * Phantom flash suppressor.
    And verily YES, it would make a dandy home defense weapon.
    just ask Harvey

41. Post #37

Thanks

Nevermind.
    Last edited by MISRy; 07-07-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Much better reply above.
    "To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory."

Buffoon #5