Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: 1976 Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar value?

1. Post #1

Getting Acclimated Prospector Jimmie's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 1976 Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar value?

Hey everyone, I know that this forum is mostly about PM's and such but I was curious if anyone knew the value of the 1976 Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar. I have over $100 face value and really wish they were silver but yeah... lol

My plan is to basically get some cash out of these so I can then spend it on more bullion. I've looked everywhere but there are so many different answers to this seemingly simple question but I guess the old saying is right, a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen them go for $2.99 each on eBay and that seems like a pipe dream to me. I'd be stoked to get even more than face for them. lol

For the skim readers... Yes, I know this coin is NOT Silver and is pretty common and is otherwise only worth it's face value but here's to hoping I can get more. :P
    "So you think that money is the root of all evil?" - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged

2. Post #2

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

Default Re: 1976 Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar value?

.50 cents each....MILLIONS of them circulating right now...

3. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

They are very very common. People would be a fool to pay more than $.50 for em.

4. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner charlie1023's Avatar
    Thanks

As a 90% silver prospector, I can tell you that searching thru boxes of halves from the banks, I get about 1 in 5 or 6 that are bicentennial halves. These are extremely common as already noted on this thread unless you have proofs which would get you above face value if in pristine condition. Advice for your halves? Change them in the bank for some FRN's and use them to pick up some real metal at your favorite dealer or coin shop.

5. Post #5

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

The bicentennial halves and quarters were made in very huge quantities, as they were minted in both '75 and '76, and thus will never have numismatic value.

6. Post #6

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1023 View Post
    As a 90% silver prospector, I can tell you that searching thru boxes of halves from the banks, I get about 1 in 5 or 6 that are bicentennial halves. These are extremely common as already noted on this thread unless you have proofs which would get you above face value if in pristine condition. Advice for your halves? Change them in the bank for some FRN's and use them to pick up some real metal at your favorite dealer or coin shop.
    I agree with this whole heartedly.

7. Post #7

Thanks

My ex-father-in-law collected bicentennial coins and I tried to tell him pretty much what is being said here. That lead to my pronouncing Krugerrands minted in 1976 had more intrinsic value that a bicentennial quarter could ever hope to have. Since then whenever I have a chance to refer to bicentennial Krugers I give myself a little chuckle.
    "To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory."

Buffoon #5

8. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 6,491 Times in 3,146 Posts

I agree with the above poster. Cash them in and put your $100 into .999
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

9. Post #9

Getting Acclimated Prospector Jimmie's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, you all pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Thanks! I'll go ahead and take the FRN's and buy some Ag!
    "So you think that money is the root of all evil?" - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged