Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Gasoline: Regular vs E10 vs e85

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,179 Posts

Default Gasoline: Regular vs E10 vs e85

Was at the pump filling up yesterday at a station that sold E85. My truck is not flex fuel so I was getting regular (or so I thought). The 87 octane regular was selling for $2.79 while the E85 was selling for $2.30. Then I noticed that I was actually getting a 10% blend (E10). No big deal. Well I got gas for the wife latter in the evening at a station that is straight gas (no E10 blend). It was selling for the same $2.79.

Now looking at the comodities page today Ethanol was trading at $1.69 and gas was at $2.07. No biggie really but it got me thinking why does E10 sell the same as regular gas considering that 10% of its content is a lower priced material. By my calculations it should sell for about 5 or 6 cents less then regular 87 octane gas.

Any explanation?
    To all the alphabet soup guys and gals out there reading this post, HI!!!!

2. Post #2

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Someone_else's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Gasoline: Regular vs E10 vs e85

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    No biggie really but it got me thinking why does E10 sell the same as regular gas considering that 10% of its content is a lower priced material.
    Maybe it's extra taxes on the ethanol to help pay for the ethanol subsidies. You know how governments work...

3. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 505 Posts

Maybe it's just the pricing war that goes on with the gas station signs knowing that people are looking for the cheapest price. Every gas station in town always seems to have the same price, give or take a penny. If they were significantly higher, they'd get clobbered. The stations with the 10% ethanol are probably just making a little more profit, which is very small from what I understand on gas. It SHOULD be cheaper, but anyway to make a few more cents on the gallon would be my hunch.

I doubt the masses know (or care) what's in their fuel as long as it burns and turns the wheels.

I never see straight gas anymore, but I'm in the Midwest corn country which probably explains why.

4. Post #4

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Was at the pump filling up yesterday at a station that sold E85. My truck is not flex fuel so I was getting regular (or so I thought). The 87 octane regular was selling for $2.79 while the E85 was selling for $2.30. Then I noticed that I was actually getting a 10% blend (E10). No big deal. Well I got gas for the wife latter in the evening at a station that is straight gas (no E10 blend). It was selling for the same $2.79.

Now looking at the comodities page today Ethanol was trading at $1.69 and gas was at $2.07. No biggie really but it got me thinking why does E10 sell the same as regular gas considering that 10% of its content is a lower priced material. By my calculations it should sell for about 5 or 6 cents less then regular 87 octane gas.

Any explanation?
    Yeah ethanol is a little cheaper BUT, it takes a little more effort to blend it with gasoline. More machines and more time, hence the same price as regular gas.

I drive a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I use a 50/50 mix....sometimes i use a 75 eth/25 gas mix. My Jeep is not a flex fuel vehicle.
    I cant wait to get the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and use it with straight e85!!! No loss of power or mpg.

5. Post #5

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 754 Posts

Do not use ethanol (any percentage) in your two cycle engines (motorcycle, lawn mower, etc.).

I live near an ethanol plant and worked there at one time. I started to use ethanol (10%) in the late 1980's and still do. Really no problem with any of the vehicles that I used it in. I do avoid using it in 1960's era vehicles or tractors though.

6. Post #6

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

We are in the gasoline business. Today E10 87 octane costs me 2.1166 without tax. Conventional costs me 2.1845 Plus the stations that sell the E10 get a subsidy from the Feds for about 4 cents per gallon. Do the math, that explains why the stations sell E10. It is a farm subsidy.
    "For one, I prefer dangerous liberty to peaceful slavery."

Thomas Jefferson

URL's, with or without links, are not allowed in signatures.....

7. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ONG View Post
    We are in the gasoline business. Today E10 87 octane costs me 2.1166 without tax. Conventional costs me 2.1845 Plus the stations that sell the E10 get a subsidy from the Feds for about 4 cents per gallon. Do the math, that explains why the stations sell E10. It is a farm subsidy.
    So in reality the folks selling E10 at regular gas prices "are price gouging" the consumer.

With this info I will no longer buy gas of E10 quality.
    To all the alphabet soup guys and gals out there reading this post, HI!!!!

8. Post #8

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

So in reality the folks selling E10 at regular gas prices "are price gouging" the consumer.

With this info I will no longer buy gas of E10 quality.
    Most people find that they experience better performance with conventional gasoline. I'll tell you though that the retail market is really a wild ride anymore. Costs can swing 7-10 cents in a day. There are times when stations are selling less than cost to stay with the competition. They seldom can make any margin on gasoline & hope to get you inside where they can really mark items up.

Fortunately we are the evil middle man and no longer in the retail business. We sell to farmers, construction, commercial customers.
    "For one, I prefer dangerous liberty to peaceful slavery."

Thomas Jefferson

URL's, with or without links, are not allowed in signatures.....