Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Let's Talk Scrap Metal!

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 571 Posts

Default Let's Talk Scrap Metal!

Do you cut off the copper wire from your old Mr Coffee before you put it in the trash, then toss the cord in a bucket full of copper insulated wire you are saving?
    Do you hit the brakes on garbage day when you see an old lawn mower on the curb.
    Do you have a craigslist add saying "will haul your scrap car for free"?
    Do you have enough scrap metal laying around that you are watching world events trying to time your sale to make the most of these base metals?
    Let's talk scrap.....

Scrap Links:
    Rockaway Recycling (online price quotes paid for scrap a New Jersey yard)
    http://rockawayrecycling.com/newaspx...materials.aspx
    Last edited by glockngold; 08-22-2010 at 01:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to glockngold For This Useful Post:

Lt Dan (08-12-2010)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 885 Posts

Default Re: Let's Talk Scrap Metal!

I separate scrap and save it up. I do not take it very serious, but rather just figure one of these days, I'll get around to load it up and haul it to the scrap yard. I don't haul it in from other peoples garbage, but I will take things off their hand if they don't see the value in it and just want to get rid of it. I'm kind of over due to make a haul as of right now, but it may not happen for some time yet. I need to strip off the copper wire and separate that into #1 and #2 bins. I don't bother separating long iron and short iron, but I do separate cast iron out by itself.

Back when the landfill was opened I hauled a bunch of trash out there and as I was pitching it out noticed a whole bunch of old small engine blocks laying there. Didn't take me long to empty my truck of the trash and fill it up with those small engine blocks. I stripped them out and separated them into the different metals and got over $100 for my trouble. That was years ago now and $100 was a weeks wages for me. Good deal for me as I was laid off from my job at the time.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

4. Post #3

Thanks

I had my first time hauling cars on a borrowed trailer to the scrap yard last week.

Back 2 years ago when steel scrap was paying about $12. per hundred I had parked 2 pickups in the back lot of my property to get around to getting rid of someday. Then the economy tanked & scrap steel fell to $5. or lower.

Since no neighbors have to look at my junk, & the trucks "weren't eating nothing", I just let them sit hoping for a rise in steel price.

A month ago my neighbor mentioned that steel was up to $11. & that got me interested in cleaning up. Problem is I don't own a trailer or tow dolly. Turns out I was able to borrow one from the farmer that rents my tillable land. It was a little "Sanford & Son", I had to use a come along to ratchet the trucks up on the trailer, and I didn't have very good tie downs. But I rigged it up & was off to the races.

By the time I got there, steel was back down to $9.50 My 1980 Chevy paid $379. The 84 Ranger paid $230.

I handed the farmer $50. to say thanks for the trailer, & handed the rest of the money to the coin shop later that day.

5. Post #4

Thanks

I don't bother separating long iron and short iron, but I do separate cast iron out by itself
    Lt Dan,
    I am always curious as to how different yards buy scrap. I am unfamiliar with what long & short iron means.
    Since shredders have come on the scene most places just say "shred" dump it over there. Time was, I know cast iron engine blocks were worth a lot more than light steel, or tin as it was referred to.

6. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

My son & his freind helped his friend father renovate an old Bar. They were throwing out all this stuff old
    pots, kettles, chairs. Luckily I stopped by and said see if it sticks to a magnet, if it doesn't stick put it in your explorer and take it to the junk yard. I thought the aluminum was worth the most money. But the stainless that didn't stick to magnet was worth more than the aluminum. He was ready to pay for it to be hauled away, instead the kids made an exxtra
    $320 for hauling it away to the junkyard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tomexxtra For This Useful Post:

glockngold (08-06-2010)

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 471 Posts

last month I stopped at a barn sale where they were just interested in emptying the barn to make room for horses.
    Leaning against one side of the barn wall was a BIG unbundled spool of insulated cable, so I asked the woman how much for the wire??, she responded :"$5.00"
    I handed her the money and thought I had some nice aluminum entrance cable but when I grabbed onto the roll I could barely lift it!
    I literally struggled to get it to my Jeep because it was VERY heavy and the spool was unwinding making it hard to grab hold of.
    the cable was 1/2" thick copper bundled strands on the inside.
    I Weighed it when I got home,= 130 lb!
    I stripped the insulation from a bit more than half of the spool then added some scrap copper pipe I had laying around filling 4 small boxes in total weighing 127 lb.
    I took it to the scrap yard and got $2.80 lb for the bright copper and $2.40 lb for the #2 copper totaling around $345.00 for this small pile of scrap!
    I probably have a few hundred pounds more of copper hanging around but will sit on it for the time being because I think inflation is still on the way.
    Always call around for the best price before selling to a scrap metal dealer, some were paying considerably less so it pays to call them all.

9. Post #7

Thanks

I Weighed it when I got home,= 130 lb!
    Now that was a well spent 5 bucks!

10. Post #8

A Different Perspective Metal Miner
    Thanks

I do save copper, what fool wouldn't? I also scrounge angle iron, rebar and other fabricating steel only because I have a couple of welders and can weld pretty fair.

Just another craft for survival.

11. Post #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glockngold View Post
    Lt Dan,
    I am always curious as to how different yards buy scrap. I am unfamiliar with what long & short iron means.
    Don't know what ever did make a difference, but anything over about a foot long was considered long iron. I don't thing it makes a difference anymore. At least not to me, cause I don't separate it. I do separate cast from steel, as there used to be a price difference on that.

12. Post #10

Thanks

I cleaned up in front of the barn today. (going to have to be able to snow plow there soon ha!)
    I had about 6 tubs of light steel: nuts bolts & screws various junk tin that I always toss in the tubs rather than discard in the trash as I go through the auction lots I bring home.
    I had some other more sweet stuff that I loaded up to make the trip worthwhile.
    Prices paid:
    Light Steel: .09/lb
    Clean Copper Alum Rads (air conditioners) .90/lb
    #2 copper 2.40/lb
    Electric Motors .10/lb
    Irony aluminum .10/lb
    Total take home was $100.

I've decided it's not worth it to separate those electric motors & irony aluminum anymore for the extra penny a pound. (I'm a genius) That will just get tossed in with the shred.

This particular yard has been growing in popularity is very busy & has added a new gizmo for payout.
    The person that weighs your stuff, works with a touch screen computer as you put it on the scale.
    After you are done, you receive from her a sales receipt (just like the grocery store) with a bar code on the bottom.
    You walk to the office, & scan your bar code into a machine & it spits cash out.
    The mark of the beast has arrived at the scrap yard.

13. Post #11

Thanks

I pick up trash in a few small towns and save every oz of metal I find in the garbage. Its been months since my cab was not full at the end of the day. The sorting line for recyceling saves me all the cell phones, jewelry, computer components, and glasses that come through. Today there was a bag full of watches, but only one was gold filled.

At the end of each day, I thorow each metal into its own 55 gallon drum. Best hall was early this year found over 1/2 oz of 10/14k jewery. Some kids were cleaning out their parents estate and everything went. Also have found everything from gold filled glasses to sterling silverware and thats just the beginning of the good stuff. It is really sad how much good stuff goes into the land fill.
    Last edited by davycoppitt; 08-11-2010 at 07:23 PM.

14. Post #12

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 592 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davycoppitt View Post
    It is really sad how much good stuff goes into the land fill.
    Landfills will be the motherlode mines of tomorrow.

Where else has such high concentrations of energy (oil from plastic), copper, aluminum, (machinery, motors, kitchen gadgets) gold, silver, and rare earth metals (electronics)????

15. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,020 Posts

They're only paying 7/100 for scrap here, and they still do short/long. The place I usually use has no shredder, they have to haul it off to Houston, so it's easier to get 50k pounds into a rolloff if it's small pieces of steel rather than long ones.

I once hauled in the frame of a burned trailer house. I cut it into 4 pieces, about 40'x 8'. They told me they couldn't take it. Now mind you, this is on top of a Sanford and Son load of 4500 pounds of scrap. I begged them to let me unload, then reload the frame, and they said OK. Turns out the yard manager called the office manager and let me leave it anyway, he said he could bend it up enough to get it into the container. You'd be surprised how flimsy trailer house frames are.

I have a big pile of copper waiting for the time to be right. My best copper score was a long section of 128 pair telephone wire that the guys left in the pasture when they were finished. It was there over a decade before I got around to hauling it. I had to load it by hand, all 945 pounds of it, but when I hauled it in (I took that one to Houston) it paid over 1300.
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eat Beef For This Useful Post:

davycoppitt (08-12-2010), Lt Dan (08-12-2010)

17. Post #14

Thanks

I pick up trash in a few small towns and save every oz of metal I find in the garbage. Its been months since my cab was not full at the end of the day.
    Now that's a job with fringe benefits!

I first became hooked on saving scrap metal back in 1974 working my second out of high school job. It was a prefab housing site, where 2 house halves were stuck on top of cement block foundations. The houses were covered with aluminum siding. A hale storm came through & a bunch of the houses had to be redone & they threw the damaged siding in the burn pile (this is pre EPA Nazi era).
    I got permission to collect the siding at the end of the day & loaded up my VW hippie bus.
    I can't remember how much I got at the yard, but it was at least twice what I made for a days work at the time. (think I earned about $3.25 / hour)
    I wonder if in all the touchie feelie recycle your plastic bottle stuff in today's education, If anyone ever mentions to the kids that the metal that gets thrown away is actually worth money if they would just save it in a bucket.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glockngold For This Useful Post:

davycoppitt (08-12-2010), Lt Dan (08-12-2010)

19. Post #15

Thanks

Does anybody here scrap electronics and or appliances? I would be interested in information about that. All of our appliances go to the land fill where they charge 12 dollars to get rid of and all the electronics go into the fill.

Here is where I take apart metals. Old steel desks are perfect for this.

These are some scrap eye glasses that were found in a dumpster when the eye doctor was cleaning out. All of them are either 1/10 or 1/20. Look very closely when looking at old glasses out of all them I found two that had 10k bridges and one that was 14k. Anybody know what the best thing to do with Gold Filled is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41300_683307834100_63903855_38685077_7947784_n.jpg   38589_683307923920_63903855_38685079_128508_n.jpg  

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davycoppitt For This Useful Post:

Lt Dan (08-12-2010), newmisty (08-12-2010)

21. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,020 Posts

Dude, you need to slow down on the icecream!
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

22. Post #17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Beef View Post
    Dude, you need to slow down on the icecream!
    That was a good catch, but I think he said earlier that he picks up trash, so why not icecream buckets? Got to have something to separate stuff in. I use dry wall mud buckets salvaged from construction sites.

23. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,138 Posts

I became interested in saving for the crap yard when I had completed a job where I had some old metal gutters to dispose of. At the same time I had found n old rusty piece of iron pipe in the woods so I tossed it in with the rest and got a handful of dollars for it all instead of paying the landfill/transfer station to take it.

Lately I've been saving scrap from my house that I am renovating. Nails, screws, corner bead, broken garbage disposal parts, etc. Also have a small pile of insulated copper wiring from various finds over the past couple years. It won't amount to much, but it's fun and every bit coming in helps.

I had never thought about old glasses before. Thanks for sharing!
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

24. Post #19

Thanks

Look very closely when looking at old glasses out of all them I found two that had 10k bridges and one that was 14k.
    Hey davy,
    That was a lot of glass frames to sort through.
    How did you find the k gold? Were they marked? What do you do with the rest, light steel?

All of them are either 1/10 or 1/20
    Not sure what you mean by 1/10 1/20? can you explain?

Are those sterling spoons on the desk?

As far as electronics, our county started a program where you can drop off free one day a month most items that are not shredable.
    I will take the time to pull apart computer towers for the copper wire & the gold contacts (memory & motherboards) I save to sell as #1 circuit boards.
    For me the recycle program is good because they will take TVs, even huge projection types, old large monitors (after I cut off the copper cable) DVD players etc.
    I believe the reason the county does this, is because by law all county trash goes to a local trash to electricity incinerator, & they don't want to put all that lead solder into the air.

25. Post #20

Thanks
    Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,821 Posts

Scrap has been very very good to me...........................................
    One Shot At Glory
    Driving hard and seeing red
    Destiny calls me
    One night of fire
    One Shot At Glory

26. Post #21

Thanks

1/10 1/20 just means it is gold filled. so a tenth of the weight content would be 12k gold so about .05% of them are pure gold and that is without wear.

The 10k and 14k bridges were both marked and all made by B&L. They are very small.

No those are not sterling spoons.

Origional by Eat beaf

''Dude you need to slow down on the ice cream.''

I do eat more than a bucket a week.

Here are the bridges. The two small ones are marked 10k and the larger one is marked 14k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 39240_683344700220_63903855_38686459_6708495_n.jpg  
    Last edited by davycoppitt; 08-12-2010 at 05:44 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to davycoppitt For This Useful Post:

newmisty (08-13-2010)

28. Post #22

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davycoppitt View Post
    Dude, you need to slow down on the ice cream!

I do eat more than a bucket a weak.
    Ha! And I defended ya!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Lt Dan For This Useful Post:

davycoppitt (08-12-2010)

30. Post #23

Thanks

Post any links you may have that will be helpful to the subject of scrap and I will copy them to the top of this thread.

For instance:
    Rockaway Recycling (in NJ)
    http://rockawayrecycling.com/newaspx...materials.aspx

This site gives at an idea of what the market is paying for scrap. Of course the only way to know for sure is a phone call to the yard you are going to travel to.

I was thinking about taking a 5 gallon bucket of #2 copper I have accumulated to sell before heading to the coin shop Monday, but now I think I'll just let that bucket sit.

31. Post #24

Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 894 Posts

This reminds me I need to take that tub of scrap pipe and convert it into paper, then hit the coin dealer for a few SAE's ...

I don't think he knows I'm trading copper for his silver ...

32. Post #25

Thanks

""These are some scrap eye glasses that were found in a dumpster when the eye doctor was cleaning out. All of them are either 1/10 or 1/20. Look very closely when looking at old glasses out of all them I found two that had 10k bridges and one that was 14k. Anybody know what the best thing to do with Gold Filled is? ""

Refiners take gold filled as well as rolled gold. You do have to leave it to get it melted and assayed.
    Gold filled is bringing about the same as sterling around $15 an ounce, depending if it's 1/20th of 12K GF or 1/10 of 10K GF. But still well worth the smelt. I just did 880 dwt. [44 oz.] and it returned over $700.00