Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Commemorative Silver Uncirculated vs Proof Silver with twice the mintage

1. Post #1

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Default Commemorative Silver Uncirculated vs Proof Silver with twice the mintage

I have been reviewing mintage results of Commemorative Silver coins in both uncirculated and proof. It appears that the silver proof coins sell twice the number of coins vs the Silver BU coins.
    Therefore the BU coins are rarer than the Proof coins, and sold originally for just a few dollars less.

Once a series in "finalized", how come the rarer uncirculated silver coins don't command a higher price?

The fact that there are twice the number of silver proof coins vs the uncirculated silver coins does not off set the cosmetic attractiveness of the proof silver, so it's price remains at a premium over the uncirculated coin. I always thought that the lower the mintage the higher the price in the secondary market. Not true if its the same coin in Unc. vs Proof. Why?

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,821 Times in 1,805 Posts

Default Re: Commemorative Silver Uncirculated vs Proof Silver with twice the mintage

Because the proof is a nicer-looking coin. Mintages aside, which one would YOU want to have? The non-spouse proofs sell for more despite the lower UNC mintages. I'm keeping one of each, but if I had to sell one or the other I would sell the UNC's.

3. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default Re: Commemorative Silver Uncirculated vs Proof Silver with twice the mintage

Oldmans expanation is probably the biggest factor.

Another factor that may play a part with graded coins is the percentage difference that make the MS70 vs PF70 grade. In some cases even if the Proof mintage is double the Unc there can be 1/2 as many coins that make the PF70 grade vs MS70. So you may have a larger group (proof collectors) competing for a smaller number of perfect PF70 coins than the Unc collectors.

A pretty good example of this is the $50 2008 W Gold Eagles.

PCGS MS70 $50 W) Mintage=11,908, #graded by PCGS=1154, MS70s=621
    vs
    PCGS PF70 $50 W) Mintage=30,337, #graded by PCGS=1175, PF70s=277

The PCGS price guide puts the MS70 at $600 less than the PF70. Of course this price guide is often inaccurate.

I've only recently started studying the PCGS and NGC population reports and all the price guides in relation to mintage numbers. In hindsight I wish I had bought NGC / PCGS memberships earlier on.

4. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 321AU View Post
    Oldmans expanation is probably the biggest factor.

Another factor that may play a part with graded coins is the percentage difference that make the MS70 vs PF70 grade. In some cases even if the Proof mintage is double the Unc there can be 1/2 as many coins that make the PF70 grade vs MS70. So you may have a larger group (proof collectors) competing for a smaller number of perfect PF70 coins than the Unc collectors.

A pretty good example of this is the $50 2008 W Gold Eagles.

PCGS MS70 $50 W) Mintage=11,908, #graded by PCGS=1154, MS70s=621
    vs
    PCGS PF70 $50 W) Mintage=30,337, #graded by PCGS=1175, PF70s=277

The PCGS price guide puts the MS70 at $600 less than the PF70. Of course this price guide is often inaccurate.

I've only recently started studying the PCGS and NGC population reports and all the price guides in relation to mintage numbers. In hindsight I wish I had bought NGC / PCGS memberships earlier on.
    I study my old PCGS books & keep NGC membership current - but KNOW one HUGE fact POPULATIONS can go up to match the mintages - and the second fact is they always go UP!

I wrote NGC today on my 1909 D/D $20 Saint - to see if they would grade it like ANACS did already. They have graded 4 of them and MINE is tied for NUMBERO UNO!
    Be careful out there; IT is a jungle.

5. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryStudent View Post
    I study my old PCGS books & keep NGC membership current - but KNOW one HUGE fact POPULATIONS can go up to match the mintages - and the second fact is they always go UP!

I wrote NGC today on my 1909 D/D $20 Saint - to see if they would grade it like ANACS did already. They have graded 4 of them and MINE is tied for NUMBERO UNO!
    Congrats on the 1909 D! I think you have at least one of everything.