Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Crazy places people hide money

1. Post #1

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,607 Posts

Default Crazy places people hide money

Crazy places people hide money

WalletPop Staff
    Sep 9th 2010 at 6:00AM
    Text SizeAAA
    Filed under: Family Money, Saving Money
    If you're looking to stash some cash at home, you don't want to hide it somewhere obvious -- like under a mattress or in your dresser drawer. You want to put it some place that no sticky-fingered person would think to look.

No matter what it's meant for -- emergencies, a vacation fund, fun money -- we asked our readers where they squirrel away their secret cash. Some of the responses were quite clever. Here are 16 creative places people hide their money from the likes of prowlers, partners, children and even themselves.

In the Tampon Box
    "My sister-in-law used to hide money from her husband in the tampon box."
    -- Elizarden5547

In a Bra
    "I hide some of my money (to save) inside my bra. I took out the pad and put the money inside that slit."
    -- Pmilton89

In a Toilet Paper Roll
    "Yes, I used to hide my money inside a toilet paper roll. I put a can in the linen closet and wrapped it up so it looked almost exactly like a toilet paper roll."
    -- Lolagirl118

In a Fake Drain
    "My father, a plumber, would make fake drains in the garage. They looked just like real drains but held a pipe fill with money. The downside -- after he passed we had to look at every drain."
    -- BL1NK9

In the Hamper
    "The best place to hide money is in the dirty clothes hamper. I've been doing that for quite some time now."
    -- The nite

In a Purse
    "I have a ton of purses. All shapes and sizes. I stash my cash in a wristlet purse and hide it in one of my old purses on a shelf in the closet."
    -- stphybtsy

In a Fake Plant
    "Artificial plant -- who's gonna look in a vase with fake flowers? Just place it under the foam keeping the stems in place and you're good. I don't swap the plants out of the vase, so it just remains there, looking good on a shelf."
    -- drcoester

In a Can
    "I take a can and take the top off, discard or eat the contents of the can, put money inside it and put it back with the canned goods. The secret is the type of can opener you use. There is a type that cuts from the side so when you put the top back on it looks unopened."
    -- JoeJy676

In Your Tax Files
    "I put some money in a green envelope marked 1099's, punch a hole in one end of the envelope (BEFORE inserting the $), put it into the oldest income tax folder, which is usually about 2 inches thick, and in a file box in the attic."
    -- JVOLCKMANN

Inside a Picture Frame
    "I have kept several big bills paper-clipped together and hidden in an inconspicuous place. Using a picture frame that hangs on the wall and is big enough to display three or four family photos, I tuck the bills between the cardboard layer and the chipboard backing. Your pictures of family and friends aren't worth too much to a crook!" -- Talkin321

In a Vacuum
    "I hide my money in the vacuum. I just unzip the cover that holds the replaceable bags and stash whatever it is I want hidden. I have been given as a present a newer vacuum, but I refuse to get rid of the old one. No one understands why i wont part with it ... I just say I still use it when I need it!!"
    -- toshamarie5

In Between Cement Bags
    "It's not unusual to have cement or mortar mix bags in the cellar, so place two bags with a space between them where you hide some stuff, then place a couple of bags on top. It's also fireproof!"
    -- Hoxsie454

In an Old Winter Coat
    "My ex-boyfriend had a bad habit of going through my purses looking for money to buy beer. I started hiding money inside my winter coat. I cut a very small hole in the armpit area of the inner layer, and stuffed the bills into the coat (no coins). I'd managed to put away almost $20 in a few months."
    -- Pearl729

Under the Litter Box
    "Under the litter box, well ... one of the five: I figure that by the time the thief gets close, he/she will succumb to the aroma before they get what little I have." -- dawnofthedanes

Inside a Wooden Door
    "Do you have solid wood doors in your home? Chisel out a niche in the top of the door. You can actually go close to the entire length of the door and run it about 2 to 3 inches deep if you're careful. Even documents rolled tightly can fit there. Great place if you have kids who pilfer cash from you, no one has ever found it yet." -- Babybooboo100

Inside Curtain Rods
    "Tuck away bills in curtain rods. Just fold them up and slide them inside the rod."
    -- HOTSTANGPAT

Do you have a clever place to hide money? Share your best hiding place in the comments section below or post it on our message board.

See full article from WalletPop: http://srph.it/9cjBhJ

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...le-hide-money/
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLDZILLA For This Useful Post:

Son of Gloin (09-12-2010)

3. Post #2

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner JEKYLL-7's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Crazy places people hide money

If your kids are stealing money from you, it might be an idea to work on your parenting skills, not spend time creating secret compartments in the tops of your doors.

The bank is still the craziest place to keep your money (somebody was bound to say it).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEKYLL-7 For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (09-12-2010), shades (09-11-2010)

5. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Years ago I pulled down some sheetrock and did some AV wiring. As a bonus, I have a very small slit in the wall, just beneath an outlet, that hides a coffee can resting on the slab. 100s and Krugs get dropped in there regularly. When I need to exit, that sheet rock is off the wall pronto, and the can and I are gone... As a bonus, the effort to retrieve such cash and its equivalent, makes such resistant easy to suppress.

6. Post #4

Thanks

The best bit is hiding money, and forgetting where you hid it, or even forgetting its existence.
    Last edited by shades; 09-12-2010 at 05:39 AM.
    "I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind." - Albert Einstein (German born American Physicist who developed the special and general theories of relativity. Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921. 1879-1955)

Stay Frosty Gentlemen!
    --------------------------------------

7. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner JEKYLL-7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WasUP View Post
    Years ago I pulled down some sheetrock and did some AV wiring. As a bonus, I have a very small slit in the wall, just beneath an outlet, that hides a coffee can resting on the slab. 100s and Krugs get dropped in there regularly. When I need to exit, that sheet rock is off the wall pronto, and the can and I are gone... As a bonus, the effort to retrieve such cash and its equivalent, makes such resistant easy to suppress.
    Great idea, and a solution to the problem that some of us may have from time to time (at least I do) - the frequently cleaned out "easy to get to" stash.

8. Post #6

Dave Thomas

Yeah this was like slits in the drywall in the olden days for used razor blades. Anyone else hear of this practice?

9. Post #7

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

My wife and I lived in an apartment in New Orleans that had one of those razor blade slots in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom.

10. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 3,849 Times in 1,819 Posts

The craziest place people hide money is the bank.

11. Post #9

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 592 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmansmith View Post
    The craziest place people hide money is the bank.
    Beat me to it.

12. Post #10

Thanks

In my flat I've found the perfect, most ingenious place to hide cash and PMs.

And that's exactly why I won't be announcing it to the world over the internet...
    "Every people, like every person, . . . has a right to be itself."

-Mikhail Bakunin

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russkie For This Useful Post:

curmudgeonista (09-12-2010), shades (09-12-2010)

14. Post #11

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 837 Posts

Some of the old timers in my area used to hide their treasure in certain places:

1. Buried in the ground along a fence line.
    2. In the well.
    3. In the wood pile.

Most of these old timers did not trust banks, since they and their families lost their small fortune, during the Crash of 1929.

There is still some land around here, that is known to have silver dollars buried somewhere in it.

Now you know why my name is Treasure Searcher! Its a thrill to search (and hopefully find) some hidden treasure.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treasure Searcher For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (09-12-2010), shades (09-13-2010)

16. Post #12

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thomas View Post
    Yeah this was like slits in the drywall in the olden days for used razor blades. Anyone else hear of this practice?

One time a friend and I were working under his house and found a huge pile of razor blades. They were just falling through the wall onto the ground under the house.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.