Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Assay Cards?

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner DM1975's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Assay Cards?

Is it smarter to get PM's with Assay cards? I see non carded gold bars with cheap premiums and was wondering if it would be worth it or should I only get ones with Assay cards?

Also, I hear people talk about generic rounds and bars. What exactly is that?

2. Post #2

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,659 Times in 4,236 Posts

Default Re: Assay Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by DM1975 View Post
    Is it smarter to get PM's with Assay cards? I see non carded gold bars with cheap premiums and was wondering if it would be worth it or should I only get ones with Assay cards?

The only assay that counts is a settlement assay when you sell. Be there for the melt and a sample split. If the numbers aren't within splitting limits, go to umpire.

3. Post #3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    The only assay that counts is a settlement assay when you sell. Be there for the melt and a sample split. If the numbers aren't within splitting limits, go to umpire.
    Please forgive my ignorance here, but... what?

4. Post #4

Banned
    Thanks

Please forgive my ignorance here, but... what?
    The cards don't mean squat.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

andial (09-19-2010), DM1975 (09-19-2010), MISRy (09-19-2010)

6. Post #5

Thanks

Oh, ok. Thanks. I am still trying to learn this stuff. I dont know what an umpire is except in baseball, or splitting limits and whatnot.

7. Post #6

Banned
    Thanks

Oh, ok. Thanks. I am still trying to learn this stuff. I dont know what an umpire is except in baseball, or splitting limits and whatnot.
    Didn't mean to confuse you. It's all refinery lingo. I'll pm you with a run down later.

Take Care,
    'cubed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

DM1975 (09-19-2010)

9. Post #7

Thanks

Thanks, I do appreciate it. I guess for now I am going to start buying loose bars and rounds instead of slabbed with Assay cards. Do I just need to make sure they have a content stamp and weight stamp on them? I am only planning on buying Pamp Suisse, Credit Suisse, and APMEX for now till I learn more.

I also have been looking at silver and it seems their are a lot of different companies or refineries. Any of them I should avoid?

10. Post #8

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks, I do appreciate it. I guess for now I am going to start buying loose bars and rounds instead of slabbed with Assay cards. Do I just need to make sure they have a content stamp and weight stamp on them? I am only planning on buying Pamp Suisse, Credit Suisse, and APMEX for now till I learn more.

I also have been looking at silver and it seems their are a lot of different companies or refineries. Any of them I should avoid?
    Stick with "good delivery" hallmarks. I'll explain that in the pm too. Gotta run 4 now.

'cubed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

DM1975 (09-19-2010)

12. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 832 Posts

Didn't mean to confuse you. It's all refinery lingo. I'll pm you with a run down later.

Take Care,
    'cubed
    Damn GCubed, you must be getting old or something. I think that's the nicest thing I've seen you do since I started lurking on this forum. I dont know if I can get used to a kinder, gentler Gcubed. Now be sure to tell me to F off or something so the planets reallign and everything becomes right in the cosmos once again.

13. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 795 Posts

Stick with "good delivery" hallmarks. I'll explain that in the pm too. Gotta run 4 now.

'cubed
    why not share your insight in this thread gcubed. I think that is something that will be valuable to know in the future as I think more people will be lining up at the few refineries left and very few have knowledge of terms or transactions w/ refineries.
    The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. -President James Garfield

We have a giverment/takerment, we deserve a government for the people - AgAuGal 2010

14. Post #11

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Damn GCubed, you must be getting old or something. I think that's the nicest thing I've seen you do since I started lurking on this forum. I dont know if I can get used to a kinder, gentler Gcubed. Now be sure to tell me to F off or something so the planets reallign and everything becomes right in the cosmos once again.
    OK, F off. Happy now?

15. Post #12

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AgAuGal View Post
    why not share your insight in this thread gcubed. I think that is something that will be valuable to know in the future as I think more people will be lining up at the few refineries left and very few have knowledge of terms or transactions w/ refineries.
    I tried that(sharing in mass) in the past. It was met with childish rhetoric.

16. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 795 Posts

So the majority wlll again suffer because of a handful of childish responses in the past. The children are just more vocal around here and we play wack a mole as much as our energies and the rules allow, I think the place has matured, of course there will always be someone to prove me wrong. Cubed you have been around long enough to know that. If that truely is your reasoning then your your tongue is thicker than your skin which I kind of doubt cuase I know you have travelled the long road and anyone who has travelled it has learned to ignore the imature pups nippoing at their anckles (well most of the time, sometimes ya just want to smack the crap out of them). I f you find it acceptable I will post the info in the GIM learning thread but I would rather you have the credit for sharing your knowledge with what have to be a large majority who do not respond in childish ways.
    The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. -President James Garfield

We have a giverment/takerment, we deserve a government for the people - AgAuGal 2010

17. Post #14

Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 832 Posts

I recall that, but I think it's a different crowd in here now. I think there's a lot of us that could learn a boat load from you (you old codger). I for one would like to hear what you have to say - not just on this subject but several others as well. And by the way, thanks for putting the world back on its axis.

18. Post #15

Thanks

I will take any advise you have to give into consideration, PM'd or open forum. I am eager to learn and thankful to those willing to teach.

19. Post #16

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,335 Times in 7,486 Posts

I recall that, but I think it's a different crowd in here now. I think there's a lot of us that could learn a boat load from you (you old codger). I for one would like to hear what you have to say - not just on this subject but several others as well. And by the way, thanks for putting the world back on its axis.
    Good Lord don't fluff him like that! Sheesh we'll never hear the end if it.

20. Post #17

Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,434 Posts

Yeah, it doesn't feel right to me either. Cubed can you please tell me to suck wind ( or something similar) just to make things right?

21. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,434 Posts

My favorite bar is the Ten ounce Silver bar, .999 pure. Cubed please tell DM my advice stinks to the high heavens or I will put you on ignore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 244406877_897a95fb5d.jpg  

22. Post #19

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,142 Times in 1,592 Posts

You could start a new thread titled "G-gubes refinery lingo and such", and then lock it so no one can comment in the thread.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLDZILLA For This Useful Post:

SongSungAU (09-20-2010)

24. Post #20

Silver Member
    Thanks

As an individual you will most likely not be selling to a refiner but....

Generic silver rounds marked .999 and one ounce will be accepted just about anywhere, no questions asked. Some places will pay slightly more for Engelhard stuff.

So far I have only purchased gold coins, no bars or rounds. A government minted gold coin usually speaks for itself.
    *Disclosure: long physical gold, silver and mining shares

25. Post #21

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Assay Cards?

A while back, I compared bars with assay cards and bars that did not have cards, the buyback price was the same for either type, so cheapest bar was the way to go.
    You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to latemetal For This Useful Post:

DM1975 (09-19-2010), Irons (09-19-2010)

27. Post #22

Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,865 Posts

BUY eagles, maples, and krugs... period in gold

BUY eagles, junk pre-1965 US coins, maples, or small branded junk silver coins like englehard or US assay 1981 coins... period in silver

when you get a tonne - 31,500 ounces then expand in the exotics....
    Be careful out there; IT is a jungle.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to HistoryStudent For This Useful Post:

DM1975 (09-20-2010)

29. Post #23

Thanks

It's just me... but I would prefer assay cards with bars I purchase. It's not a deal-breaker but a real nice bonus if you get it. It's simply a certificate of authenticity - like when you purchase a commemorative coin (which a lot of people want documentation). So if you sell with the assay card, it just looks like you have your act together.

30. Post #24

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GodspeedMetals View Post
    It's just me... but I would prefer assay cards with bars I purchase. It's not a deal-breaker but a real nice bonus if you get it. It's simply a certificate of authenticity - like when you purchase a commemorative coin (which a lot of people want documentation). So if you sell with the assay card, it just looks like you have your act together.
    If you have bars that don't have assay cards with them let me know, I'll print you some up for $10 each.

31. Post #25

Thanks

hold on there!!! Didn't say I'd pay more for the damn things!

32. Post #26

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GodspeedMetals View Post
    hold on there!!! Didn't say I'd pay more for the damn things!

33. Post #27

Thanks
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDZILLA View Post
    You could start a new thread titled "G-gubes refinery lingo and such", and then lock it so no one can comment in the thread.
    I would be very interested in reading such a thread.
    "I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul, Texas Straight Talk - February 16, 2008

34. Post #28

Thanks

I think anyone that criticizes someone giving helpful information is a bit shallow. I try to absorb as much information from those that know more than I do as I can. It is one of the best ways we can learn.

35. Post #29

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

Assay cards?

We don't need no stinkin' ASSAY CARDS!!!
    My web site is under construction:

36. Post #30

Gold Member
    Thanks

If the premiums are the same the assay cards are good to get. They are protected better in the plastic casing and harder to lose.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

37. Post #31

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pay dirt View Post
    If the premiums are the same the assay cards are good to get. They are protected better in the plastic casing and harder to lose.
    Some are just loose cards with the serial # and description. The 100 gram pamp suisse bars and the 20 gram credit suisse bars are 2 examples I know of. I prefer this variety when I can get it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CreditSuisseGoldBar.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	3828

38. Post #32

Thanks

Some piece of paper wants to be the authority as to what is gold? Sorry, one of the reasons for me to buy gold is that I don't believe in pieces of paper having any power. If I don't think it is gold I won't buy it, if you don't think it's gold get it from somebody else.
    "To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory."

Buffoon #5