1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

$10,000 Burried Cash Found In Kansas

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by searcher, Jul 18, 2013.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

$10,000 Burried Cash Found in Kansas July 17, 2013

[​IMG]Recently a customer came it to rent a metal detector from us. Typically we ask them what type of target they are looking for. This helps us quickly teach them which signals they will need to listen to in order to locate the target quickly and avoid finding a bunch of garbage in the process (apparently everyone doesn’t like digging up trash like us [​IMG] . This particular customer’s response was not too direct. They didn’t give a clear answer but they said it was something the size of a metal coffee can. Not wanting to intrude, I left it alone. Besides, it is their business. As long as I get the metal detector back in good condition and paid for the use of the machine, I have completed my job.

The person came in later in the day to pick up a Garrett Ace 350. We did a quick lesson and they were on their way. No more than an hour after they left, they called back and said they were done with it. Curiously we asked if they had found what they were looking for. This time around the clients were much more forthcoming with their answers. ”Yes!” they exclaimed very excitedly. Then she proceeded to tell us why they needed to use the metal detector.

About 15 years ago the mother, who was still living, had buried some cash out in the barn. Not just a little cash $10K! It was placed in a metal coffee can and hidden. I am assuming it was intended as emergency funds or perhaps for safe keeping. I am not sure if the mother was in ill health and wanted to reveal this before passing or if they had finally decided to trust the banks and remove the money from the ground. Either way, the family decided to come together and have a little treasure hunting party.

The mom knew where she buried it…kind of. She knew it was in a horse stall in the barn, she knew which stall, and she knew about where in the stall it was buried. At first they just started digging in the approximate location where the lady thought it was buried. I am not sure if you have ever cleaned out a horse stall, but I have. The compaction that takes place from a 2,000 pound animal walking and stomping on a 12′ x 12′ area day-after-day is amazing. It takes the right tools and a nice young back to do it effectively. After digging a rather large hole of a couple feet deep and a few feet in diameter, they decided it was time to get a metal detector, speed the process up, and avoid any unnecessary blisters. So, with a little help from Google, they found High Plains Prospectors (that’s us).

Once they got their lesson and took the metal detector home, they metal detected less than 10 minutes before they found the can full of cash! Elated they called to say thanks and tell us they found their target!

This story shows us that the technique of burying cash to hide it works. It has been used for ages effectively and is still being used today by many folks who are skeptical of our monetary system or preparing for Armageddon. It is actually recommended by experts to keep a certain amount of cash around in the event there is some sort of disaster. Survivalist Prepping which says of itself, “We are an active community and forum made up of thousands of individuals and organizations, each with knowledge on how to loosen the ties that bind us to an increasingly unreliable mainstream supply line,” recommends keeping at least $1,000 in small bills on hand in the event of a disaster.

If you choose to bury cash money then it is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you use an air/water tight container. This family learned that the hard way. When they unearthed the can they came to find out that the can had rusted through exposing the cash to all kinds of elements (including the ones that come from the back side of a horse!) After recovering the can the money was in such bad shape they had to send it to a U.S. Mint to have it replaced with spendable cash. For this reason it is highly recommended you don’t use something metal as it can corrode away leaving the money exposed to the elements. Also, you may want to consider vacuum packing the cash before placing it inside a hard container to provide an extra level of protection.

Burying cash would come in handy in the event of a short lived disaster such as a hurricane, tornado, or riot. However in the event of a much more serious disaster such as a financial crash, meteorite impact, or full scale worldwide riots stemming from shortages of living essentials, cash money and even the worthless clad used today could quite possibly be worth nothing. Some experts recommend hoarding precious metals such as silver, gold, platinum and even copper. All of which have real value in this world regardless of what happens to the dollar.

No, this picture is not the real jar…this is just for effect [​IMG]

http://highplainsprospectors.com/blog/?p=1160&gih=7gw4a8

Kkernell, Solo, Merkin and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

Not enough good luck stories much anymore these days, thanks for sharing.:beer:

"No, this picture is not the real jar…this is just for effect"

That mason jar in the photo would be a much better choice than a can, especially AFTER dipping the sealed top of it in melted wax a couple times.:grin10:

R.

3. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Cool story but it sounds like an advertisement made up by high plains prospectors. :cheerful:

4. Rcpb2000

Rcpb2000 Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Better in a lake than under a pile of hsit!:bear_blink:

5. phideaux

phideaux Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

These people should STFU. Ya know the IRS will be after them for taxes on the loot.

6. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Since this is the Mom's money, and the MD only located to exhume Mom's money, presuming Mom got the money back in her possession: Where is the Taxable Event ?

Even if Mom wants to give the money out to her kids and grandkids the dispersal of $10k would be an insignificant financial event.

Only financial gifts OVER 10k to each recipient need to be reported.

DYODD,