1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

2015 Quarters, Truman $1s, Marshals Coins; Popular News

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by searcher, Feb 1, 2015.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. earplugs

earplugs Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Heard rhere was going to be areverse proof silver dime this year.

3. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

In the First Spouse thread, I made a post about one of the coins in the Marshals set (after mentioning an article by Louis Golino):

Well, I went back into the Coin News articles and found the multi-coin set figures for recent years since 2011. It turns out that these multi-coin sets, because they feature PF coins, often result in the MS coin having lower mintage. But for 2015, the difference between MS and PF mintage was even more than usual:

http://www.coinnews.net/2015/03/04/us-marshals-coin-sales-in-fourth-full-week/

And when the Marshals coins ended sales at the end of last year, we saw the final mintage here:

http://www.coinnews.net/2016/01/07/us-mint-sales-last-hurrah-products/

After I get the coin in the mail, I will be watching the price of this coin over the coming months, just to see whether paying the 41% premium over spot was a well-founded decision...

4. Starter

If the upward move in gold and silver continues, I will be closely watching coin prices on eBay, to see whether some sellers have not adjusted their prices upward.

I anticipate that many coins can be bought at discounted premiums when metal prices rise while coin prices remain the same.

5. Starter

The coin arrived today. Needless to say, at MS70 condition, it looks much more amazing than in the ad. I took some photos of it.

Looking back, I think it was a good purchase. Like I said earlier, the sales numbers show that it has a mintage of 6,743, which is very low for the $5 gold commemorative series.

In the few days following my purchase last Friday, the remaining 2 coins from the same seller were also bought by others at the same price. I believe this is because the eBay listing had many people watching it, and once they saw that I bought the coin, they realized it was reasonably priced.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,Starter,You are buying slugs not GOLD or SILVER!:thumbs down:

the DUCK :winks2:

7. Starter

After watching the price of this coin for the last few days, I found that the buy now price remains solid at 420 (with 2 other deals made at this price following mine), with the auction price ranging from 360 to 500.

I am only beginning to learn the eBay auction process, so I do not regret missing out on the deals that ended at 360. Rather, I feel fortunate that I was not one of the bidders who paid 500 for the coin.

The goal for this year is to be ready for the Mark Twain ms70 auctions shortly after the coin sells out. There seems to be a ramp-up period during which the coin shops are still clearing out their inventory, before the auction prices begin to solidly move upward.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  8. Starter

The same seller on eBay lowered the price from 420 to 410 in the last couple of days, but the 2 coins available were snapped up right away by one buyer. I guess it was underpriced at 410...

9. Starter

Last night I bid 345 on a PF70 version of the coin, but lost to the winning bid of 371, which is overpriced in my opinion (due to the much higher mintage of the proof coin).

Lesson learned--stay away from the PF auctions!

10. Starter

Lost auctions on eBay last night for 6 different MS70 $5 gold coins...losing on eBay is actually fun because it means you won't have to pay for the items!

By the way, one of the auction items was a 2015 marshals MS70 coin (just like the one I bought earlier), which had a winning bid of 415. My high bid was 375 (as I didn't want to pay as much for a 2nd one).

So it looks like over the past 6 sales of this coin on eBay, the price is solidifying within the 410 to 420 range.

As expected due to the first-year hype, the Mark Twain MS70 coins still look overpriced (within the 450 to 470 range), so I will stay away from those for now.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  11. Starter

Wow...I just won my first eBay auction, bidding for none other than my favorite MS70 2015 US Marshals $5 gold coin!

My winning bid was 405 (price 398 + 7 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222036347628?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now, you might say that this price exceeded my high bid for this coin from the last auction, 375, but I gave myself several reasons to go a little bit past this number:

1) The shipping-adjusted price of 405 still falls below the approximate price mark of 415 set on eBay over the last few weeks for NGC MS70 graded coins like this one (including auctions and normal orders)

2) The melt value of this coin increased by .242 * (1259 - 1222) = 8.95 since the last auction, making this purchase that much cheaper compared to before

3) This coin not only has an NGC grade of MS70 (like my first purchase), but also has the First Day of Issue designation on the slab, potentially adding some collector value (though I'm not sure if this is significant)

4) This auction was a chance to lower my average price for coins like this one, bringing my average price down from 420 to (405 + 420) / 2 = 412.50

5) This auction was also a chance for me to win my first eBay auction while getting a good deal (assuming I get the product as described)

Although I did not expect to win this auction (especially since the coin had the First Day of Issue designation), I am happy with the result (assuming that the deal is fulfilled without issue).

I now admit that my eBay addiction has gone overboard during the last two weeks, and that now it's time to put eBay on hold for a while, along with PM purchases in general (this means no 2016 Mark Twain coin this year!...although buying one next year is still within consideration)...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  12. Starter

This 2015-w Marshals $5 gold MS70 coin has been a laggard over the last year, especially in eBay auctions.

The coin is finally beginning to gain some traction in the secondary market, with prices on eBay now reaching above $450 from buyers using the "buy it now" option. Still, auction prices remain at around $400, and I was the winning bidder of one of 3 coins sold over the weekend, each at around $400 apiece with shipping.

Mintage numbers tell a different story, with this coin having lower mintage than the 2012-w Star Spangled Banner coin (selling at about $500) and even the 2001-w Capital Visitor coin (selling at about $700). There are still people who continue to dump this coin on eBay (as seen this last weekend), but I will happily pick up extras of this coin at bargain prices.

My winning bid last weekend marks my 4th specimen of this coin in MS70, and it brings my average price down a few dollars to $403 apiece.

I think the recent success of the 2016-w NPS gold coin has sparked some renewed interest in gold commems, and I also think the other 2015-16 coins stand to gain the most from this.