1. Stocks down 9 out of 10 sessions and weaker this am. Metals also weaker
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! Gold is -4 to 1249, while Silver is down 9 to 1815. Crude is off 10 to 4941 after recent reversal. The USD is up 8 to 9992.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

2017 Boys Town Centennial Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Starter, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

The Boys Town coins will be available at the Mint starting Thursday this week.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/boys-tow...lad-half-dollar-17CF.html?cgid=commemoratives

https://catalog.usmint.gov/boys-tow...d-silver-dollar-17CD.html?cgid=commemoratives

I did not post a link to the gold coin, as I do not like the design. Still, I think the designs for the silver and clad coins are good, especially the clad.

This theme is not popular at all, but the mintage numbers might end very low for this reason. There will be an introductory discount of $5 for each coin.

2. Starter

At the moment, the clad unc looks like the best bargain of the group at the introductory price, due to the discount taking off a greater proportion of the regular price. And the clad design is the best of the 3, in my opinion.

On top of that, the 2016 National Park clad unc coin was able to set a new mintage low in its series, even though it was the only clad commemorative coin sold in 2016 (unlike the silver and gold coins, which achieved low mintages partly due to the Mark Twain coins)--suggesting that low mintage is an ongoing trend especially for the clad unc commemorative coins.

3. Starter

4. Starter

5. Starter

First week sales numbers are out for the Boys Town coins...
    Here are the corresponding NPS coin sales from last year, on their first week...
    Though it is too early to say, the Boys Town gold unc actually has a chance of setting the new mintage record, selling lower than the NPS gold unc (the new record holder) in its first week. But I fear that the poor design of the Boys Town gold unc may be the reason for the low sales, putting a damper on any hopes for a big rise in aftermarket prices.

My sights are still focused on the Boys Town clad unc, but I won't be ready to buy until I have seen the next two sales reports and are happy with them. Looking at the first week of sales, though, it is doing just fine. The high sales are simply a reflection of the great design of the coin and its interest to collectors, which will help prices in the aftermarket.

On the other hand, the Boys Town silver unc may prove to be the dark horse winner in the end, striking a good balance between low mintage and good design.

6. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I agree the clad coin has the best design. I'm still trying to figure out how a coin depicting "Boys" Town has a girl on it as the main character. I'm sure it's been discussed ad-infinitum elsewhere, but it's confusing to me. Meh, to the gold coin.

7. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I know why the theme is unpopular. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    I guess the pedophile connections needs financial support. ( Boys Town REGIONAL Office in Washington D.C. ???)

"...Nebraska Republican Senator Loran Schmit, worked with Stitt and investigators to build the case and soon they had five solid victims whose testimony would work in court to bring the various suspects to justice.

Little did he know, that powers to be in this seemingly corrupt Midwest state, would block every move to bring the case forward and that even the media would serve as a partner in the crime of coverup. As it turns out one of the suspects worked in the upper echelon of a daily newspaper that served as a tool for discrediting victim testimony.

Victims who came forward were persecuted; one key witness would testify in mid stride that he made up his allegations. A female victim who stuck to her story of years of rape and sex abuse at the hands of top officials in Lincoln, Nebraska, was convicted of perjury and sentenced to 15 years in prison."...

http://thoughtcrimeradio.net/2015/0...ld-sex-scandal-boys-town-in-lincoln-nebraska/

birddog likes this.
  8. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

With pictures from the "Franklin cover-up"? Yikes!

9. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

More from Bix...

anywoundedduck and GOLDBRIX like this.
  10. Starter

Here is some good background on Boys Town:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_Town_(organization)

From the article:

11. Starter

I offer a few explanations:

1) The child on the obverse of the coin may actually be a boy, not a girl (my neighbor has a 4-year old son who is often mistaken for a girl, due to his long hair).

2) The key word on the coin is "child", which agrees fully with the name "Boys Town" and the picture of the child (most likely a girl), creating a sense of inclusion for both genders of children.

3) Regardless of the apparent contradictory artwork and inscriptions, the silver dollar is quite original in that it starts a sentence on the obverse and finishes it on the reverse. This element of originality, to me, is a strong point in the coin's design that complements the natural strength of the design in the artwork.

But even with all the good points of the silver dollar design, the clad half dollar design wins on the sheer technical achievement of the artist.

12. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

no "likes" or "comments" - so for those who've never heard about it (out of the loop, or too young) =

GOLDBRIX and birddog like this.
  13. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Wow...some built up aggression has f'd up this thread. Guess that's what happens when there is no moderator

14. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    From the US Mint.
    The front of the coin shows a young girl sitting alone and gazing upward into the branches of an oak tree looking for help. The empty space around the girl is deliberate and meant to illustrate the child’s sense of loneliness, isolation, and helplessness. The back of the coin features an oak tree offering shelter and a sense of belonging to the family holding hands below it, which includes the girl from the front.

It's a girl!

So still confusing, at least for me.

Nah, this place is usually quiet. It's just a few rabble rousers passing through. :)

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Guys, please keep this thread related to the coin,

and by all means start another on the 'history' of those involved in so many ways,

Gracias'

as for there not being mods around, yeah we are around,
    we just don't go heavy handed or read every thread across all forums,

16. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Dang Scorp. I was just getting ready to launch another tirade.

On Topic: I will NEVER buy one of those coins or sets.

birddog likes this.
  17. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Heh, dad always threatened to send us to Boys Town. We all ended up with math and engineering degrees, lol. To stay on point, my opinion to perhaps buy the coin would make me remember the threats but realize the next step in the progression after the threat would be a belt to the butt. 3 boys were a handful for my mom.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  18. Starter

Sales numbers for this week:

And National Park sales from one year ago:

Although the Boys Town gold unc has a big margin under the NPS coin at this point, I have a feeling that they will even out as the year goes on, due to lack of other choices in the gold commemorative space. The extra competition from the 2016 Mark Twain and half/quarter/tenth-oz Centennial gold coins really kept the NPS gold mintage down throughout last year--but the Boys Town gold unc won't have that competition to keep its mintage down...

These sales numbers are starting to look very good for the Boys Town unc silver dollar. Reason number one is that it's selling very low compared to the NPS unc silver from last year, at -43% sales. Reason number two is that it will likely sustain this margin due to competition with the Lions Club silver dollar. And reason number three--the reason to choose the silver dollar over the gold half eagle--is the good design of the coin.

If the Boys Town clad unc drops below the NPS compared to last year (it now stands at +3.8% sales), it would be a good reason to prefer the half dollar over the silver dollar, but at this point I am leaning toward the Boys Town unc silver dollar now.

19. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Regarding the $5 gold, it is highly, highly unusual if not unprecedented for PR sales to be below unc. To me that speaks to collector rejection of this coin. The unc sales, low as they are, in this case are going to speculators mostly. PR sales are a better guage of collector interest. The 3 coin set is only 1/3 of last years sales.

savvydon and Starter like this.
  20. Starter

I fully agree.

The poor design of the Boys Town gold unc will be its downfall.

In the event it breaks the mintage record set by the NPS coin last year, it still may sell above issue price, but I doubt as high as the NPS coin in the secondary market.

21. Starter

Here are the Boys Town numbers:

And the National Park numbers from last year:

So it looks like the Boys Town clad unc is still above last year's coin in sales. As the most desired coin in the series this year, it will probably not break the mintage record set by last year's coin, but the great design should be able to ensure strong prices in the secondary market.

The Boys Town silver unc is still at about -43% sales compared to last year's National Park silver unc, just like last week, further improving hopes of ending with a low mintage.

My opinion of the 3 coins in this series has not changed since last week, other than lowering the amount of uncertainty regarding the prospect of these 3 coins.

I will probably go with 6 each of the Boys Town silver unc and clad unc coins.

savvydon likes this.
  22. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    I am still trying to figure out why we have clad pennies?

23. Starter

Actually, we have copper-plated pennies, which were introduced in 1982.

Clad coins are made of a sandwich of 3 layers, with copper-nickel in the outer layers and pure copper in the inner layer. They were introduced in 1965.

It's all about saving costs. Zinc is cheaper than copper for pennies, but copper is cheaper than silver for dimes and quarters.

To stay on topic, though, clad half dollars have been a mainstay of commemorative coins since the Statue of Liberty clad half dollar was minted in 1986.