1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Boys Town Centennial Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Starter, Mar 7, 2017.

1. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    ^^ Not quoting that.

I guess you have to be a commemorative collector for this to make sense. What's the difference between an ugly low mintage comm. coin and an ugly low mintage spouse?

Not quite sure I agree with the "propel their market price upward" statement, as you need collectors who want this coin. And at a time when they can easily buy it, so far there seems to be only 1946 of them out there.

And a tip-of the-hat, to you. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tip_of_the_hat

2. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

All one needs to do is look at the 5 ounce ATB series. Low Mintage isn't everything. The coin must be desirable as well. 2012 was the perfect storm for that series. Great designs, AND low mintages. 2014 is a good example. Sand Dunes and Arches have the same mintage in the bullion issue. Arches has 5,000 more "P" coins than Sand Dunes, yet Arches commands a higher price than Sand Dunes, in both issues. It's a better looking design. Right now Douglass is priced higher than Ozark, which makes no sense at all to me. I think the Ozarks will surpass the Douglass in price, which makes the Ozark a good buy right now. I've been himming and hawwing about the Boys Town Silver $! Commem. Nice low mintage, but poor design, and little interest. Gonna be years before that coin gets any respect.

3. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

I don't think the ugliness of Boys Town is too much of an issue. Jackie R. is ugly and once commanded almost $5K. It being a potential deep key is the important thing. The problem for the $5 gold series is coins like the burnished plats and spouses re-defined what low mintage means. Jackie was the low mintage modern King and now it's like 75th place or something. Also the modern numi coin market currently sucks in general. A new gold bull is required, which should breed a new numi bull and then we'll see what happens next.

4. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Yeah, rising tide tends to make everyone happy. I noticed even the Buffalo Commemorative Silver coin can be bought for less than it went for 10 years ago.