1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

$540,701,000,000: U.S. Property Taxes Hit Record in 2016

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by BarnacleBob, Mar 28, 2017.

1. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

If families were getting a return for their public educational investment via property taxes, then the argument would not be up for debate. There are many good schools, but lots of average to bad.

When I was bussed to public high school class of 83', some kids would openly crush and snort Quaaludes on their desks and snort them with a straw during class in full view of the teacher. I went to Catholic school grades 2-8 and none of that went on.

2. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Stop the whining and fix the problem
    • By PETER R. WAITZE
    • Aug 8, 2017 Updated 9 hrs ago

In every community, budget time for school boards is hand-wringing time. No one running for office openly vows to raise taxes, but raising taxes is always on the table. Raising taxes is often approved, and the explanation the school boards give is always the same. With tears in their eyes and sadness on their faces, they unanimously proclaim: “It ain’t our fault.” The local school board claims it is not responsible for the problem.

Well, someone is. As is often reported, we are told the problem is always beyond their local control because the people causing it are from Harrisburg.

In my view, it is a local problem. And it is time the locals did something to fix it.

The reality is, they have been complicit in its existence because it has always been within their power to permanently fix it.

Let’s get to the nitty-gritty. Their hand wringing and whining and doing nothing does not solve problems. For example, as reported in the June 14 edition of the Courier Times: “(Bensalem Superintendent) Lee has said repeatedly throughout the budget process that Bensalem and other public school districts across the state are put in untenable financial positions by state- required expenses that the state mostly doesn’t help pay for.” He went on to cite over $42 million in local obligations “… with the state pitching in only $4.3 million of that amount.”

Board member Lewis stated Harrisburg “… put Bensalem and other districts in very hard situations.”

Oh my, oh my. What can we do? Assuming all of the allegations are accurate, and I am sure they are, then Harrisburg is indeed remiss, but the do-nothing school boards are remiss too, and they have been remiss for as long as this financial problem has existed.

I can almost hear school board members and superintendents thinking: What to do? What to do? Gee, if only we had a friend in Harrisburg we could contact, someone we could talk to, then maybe we could get the problem solved.

Ta-dah! Some school board members might be surprised to learn that we have a representative form of government so we do have a friend in Harrisburg we can talk to. No, wait, we have two of our own neighborhood friends in Harrisburg. We have a state representative and we have a state senator, and every other community in Pennsylvania with the same problems as we have has the same Harrisburg two-member representative arrangement. The path to a solution is therefore really, really obvious.

On every school board there is a legal advisor, a paid lawyer. Let’s put all of these paid lawyers to work. In other words, since there are lots of these word wizards with legal expertise already available, we can instruct them to band together to draft whatever legislative solution they feel will absolutely and positively solve the money problem. Let’s stop the whining and let’s fix it.

What I propose is fail-proof, and this is the best part. The school boards, working together, can craft the solution and then each one can simultaneously contact its two Harrisburg representatives with a fait accompli, and insist that they all co-sign this draft legislation and immediately introduce it to solve the local school budget money problem.

Once the school boards get together and this process gets started, possibly even before the school boards’ version of a fix is complete, our representatives will surely hear of it and many of them will likely start to craft their own viable solution too. With so many people working on it, with near total unanimity, a bill will be drafted and will quickly pass, and the governor will sign it. The annual local school budget financial problem that has plagued us and every community and caused so much anguish will no longer exist.

Now is the time to get started. Now is time to stop whining. Now is the time to stop thinking we are helpless. Now is the time to stop blaming others. It is time to stop wringing our hands while taxing ourselves into poverty. It is time to use the inherent power we have to fix this longstanding problem, so let’s stop the waiting and get busy doing it.

Enjoying our content? Become a Bucks County Courier Times subscriber to support stories like these. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 44 cents a day.

Peter R. Waitze, Bensalem, is a retired businessman and former chairman of the Bensalem Democratic Party. He served six years on active duty in the U.S. Air Force, with highest rank being a captain.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_c9e7f73a-9578-52ff-82dc-7f69dfac7fc2.html

3. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Lions share of taxes go for schools, I have no problems with that, need to educate kids, my biggest gripe is that large apartment complexes that have large amounts of kids living there dont pay their fair share to the overall rate, if it were a 100 unit condo complex it would pay say 100x$1000 each unit for school taxes, I would bet each apartment is not on the tax rolls for half that amount.

4. searcher

5. searcher