1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

70's silver art bars

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by GoldWampum, Aug 25, 2010.

1. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Have that one myself, if memory serves I paid around 12 bucks for it, many moons ago.

Silver Art likes this.
  2. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    This is my only silver art bar purchase today on the 2nd day of the TSNS Spring Chattanooga Coin show:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1975 World Wide Mint "Coca-Cola - Atlanta" silver art bar. I paid $35 for it today (spot silver finished yesterday at $28.56/oz). Relatively speaking, this is a decent deal IMO. Mintage-wise, it is the most common Coca-Cola silver art bars that was minted by the World Wide Mint (mintage = 50,000). IMO this purchase today is my best silver art bar purchase out of the 3 total bars that I bought at this coin show.

3. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

How much do you know about the companies that produced the 1970's art bars? Info on the firms that produced them is very difficult to find. For example, was there more than one Washington Mint? Was it located in D.C., or the state of Washington? Or was it located in Minnesota?

Forty years from now some collectors will be scratching their heads, and wondering how many were made, what company produced them. The more info that is out there, the better.

4. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    You are right in that information on many of those private mints are nearly impossible to find. I am going to make a guess by saying that the Washington Mint was located in D.C. but I could be wrong on this since I have not found an information that states where it was located. I pretty much gave up on finding information about the private mints that that made those art bars in the '70's because it is nearly impossible to find. The only way that you get obtain that type of information is to either 1.) Find the owner of that private mint (assuming that owner is still alive) or 2.) Find someone who had contact with the owner of some of those private mints who could give you that information.

If you find any information on some of the private mints that existed in the 1970's, then feel free to share with us here. I am always interested in knowing something about the private mints that made many of those '70's silver art bars.

5. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Silver Art:
    That is possibly the most unique and beautiful bar I've ever seen with all the coin replicas on it, and I'm not an art bar person. Congrats on the score!
    :beer1:

Silver Art likes this.
  6. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

LOL Collectors probably know more about the Brasher Doubloon, or Lesher Referendum Dollars, than they know about the private fly-by-night mints that made the art bars from the 1970's.

The Lesher Referndum dollars and the Brasher Doubloom were privately minted too. So it isn't that much of a stretch comparing them to the 'Washington Mint", Hamilton Mint, or the Franklin Mint, etc.

Does anyone's Art Bar Book mention this silver bar I picked up? It may have been made for an S & L in San Diego, California. But no one knows for sure.

Equality Savings & Loan Association......1984 celebrating our 100th year 1884 - 1984.

Thanks

7. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Based on this description alone, it sounds like it is a commercial silver bar. Most of the commercial silver bars were minted in the 1980's (and early 1990's). So far, I do not see a bar that fits that description in the "Commercial and Miscellaneous" section of neither the 5th nor the 6th edition guidebook. I will try again at a later on by looking through the whole 5th and 6th edition books instead of just the "Commercial and Miscellaneous" section.

Exonumia likes this.
  8. southfork

Got these at around 16 bucks, cringed at paying a buck over on them back then.

Attached Files:

Silver Art likes this.
  9. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    In my opinion, the 1973 United States Silver Corporation "Women's Liberation 1973" is by far the best bar in that group of pictures that you posted because of a couple of reasons and they are 1.) Nude bars are always cool to have and 2.) That particular bar had past winning bids that ranged between $55 to as much as $70 on ebay.

southfork likes this.
  10. southfork

The world trade center bars have been brining some good preiums also along with the gun bars.

11. southfork

Have you even seen the 4 bar chess set, thats a nice one.

12. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I have seen those "chess set" silver art bars on ebay and locally. If I remember correctly, those were minted by the Madison Mint. However, I like the Madison Mint silver art bars that resemble "playing cards". I like those more than I do the "chess" bars. Out of those "playing cards" bars, I like the "Joker Card" silver art bar the best.

13. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Hey SF! Bring that killer Florida bar to the next show and I'll hand you $40 for it (or spot plus $10) ;):cool:. I've seen the Panama City refiners bar a few times, and have the Bank of Tampa bar with the boat on it, but I have never seen that awesome ANA Florida bar. If anyone here has bars relating to Florida and would like to turn them into cash or ASE's, send me a PM :).

14. southfork

\

Actually SA posted that ana bar, I do think theres a few at the bottom of the lake though.

15. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

A coin dealer is telling me that a small vest pocket type dealer came in with a bad silver bar. I haven't seen it. Supposedly he purchased it off Ebay, it had the U.S. Flag on one side, and the usual 1 oz .999 silver on the other side. However, he said the bar is not made of silver. I haven't seen the bar, but have no reason to doubt the story. Maybe it was one of those "German Silver art bars" (there is no silver in "German Silver").

Another silver bar that I did see was part of a nicely packaged set with a worn Morgan & Peace Dollar, and an old paper silver certificate. This looked like something a telemarketer might have sold. The bar was at the bottom. At first I thought it was one of those old Fraser silver art bars from Washington state that said "silver eagle", and it had an eagle in flight to the viewer's right. But when I turned the set over, the bar said "Royal Mint" at the top. Wish I had gotten a better description. The really scary part was printed beneath the S.A.B. on the packaging, it said "15 grains .999 silver" in the verbage. There are what 420 grains to a Troy ounce? The bar was all packaged up, and couldn't be weighed, though it looked like the regular 24x50mm size rectangular art bar.

Anyone else seen these silver art bars?

16. jcz1

jcz1 Silver Member Silver Miner

15 grains typically means silver-plated.

17. southfork

That is a bar that had been put out in the 70s as a art deco type bar, it plainly states it's 15 grains it was not designed to be a fraud.

18. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Hmmmm........It seems that the last few silver art bar pics that I posted in the last 3 weeks on this thread have "vanished". Oh well. I posted them on the "Silver Art Collector" site so all is not lost. :)

Speaking of silver art bars, I have not bought any '70's silver art bars today given the big drop in silver today but I did buy a 1991 Duane Spellman The Mint enameled sport-themed silver art bar on ebay yesterday using my 10% coupon and ebay bucks.

19. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I picked this bar up for spot + $2.00. Was buying mostly rounds, but this bar looked kinda neat, so picked it up.
    P.S Too lazy to fish it out the pond for pics. Same bar, not mine.
    image.jpg

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    A 1973 Switzerland "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute" silver art bar. A mintage of 5000 according to the 2007 version of the 5th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook. That is a very good price for this bar IMO. Congrats. :)

21. Chester-Copperpot

Thanks for the info. This coin shop doesn't check his art bars at all. Always sells at $2.00 over. The last time I blindly bought the 3 Drovers Art bars, and sold them for $100 each. Had one guy PM here asking to trade, which I was happy to do, but never heard back from him. Kept it aside for a few weeks, but sold it eventually.
    I just buy to stack as much as I can, but always happy to help a collector out that's looking for a bar.

southfork and Silver Art like this.
  22. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I am guessing that the 3 Drovers art bars that you bought were the 1974 mint year version since those sell for higher premiums than the 1973 mint year version does. This goes to show you that you never know what silver art bars you will find at the LCS.

Chester-Copperpot likes this.
  23. Chester-Copperpot

Yes they were the 1974 bars. Posted them here a while back, but they may have gone MIA. You gain knowledge by reading these threads, and other little pieces. I know not to bother with certain mints, and will pick up most bars made in Switzerland. Can't lose when your only paying a couple bucks over.

Silver Art likes this.
  24. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    IMO that was a very good move by getting them for .999 generic silver prices and selling them for $100 each. When a person can buy certain rare silver art bars that cheap and turn around and flip them on ebay or else where for a "collector's premium", then you are doing very well. Congrats.

Besides the 1974 Drovers art bars, some other Switzerland silver art bars that could do well on ebay (or elsewhere) would be "Cook Convention Center" and maybe the "Robie House" bar if sold as a BIN for $30-$40 over spot silver. With spot in the $25 range, the "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute bar could probably sell for between anywhere between $35 to $45 on ebay depending on current demand for that particular bar. In a falling spot silver market, certain old '70's silver art bars tend to hold their premium very well based on what I have observed on ebay.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  25. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Much to my surprise given the huge smack down that silver had yesterday, I did find a silver art bar that I liked. I went to a local flea market earlier this morning and bought a silver art bar there. Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a "non-error" version of a 1972 Madison Mint "The General Train" silver art bar. I paid $28.00 for it (spot silver = $25.85/oz). It is a common-minted bar but given the difficulty that I had of finding old silver art bars, I am glad that I found this.

26. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    These are the two silver art bars that I bought today on the 1st day of the 49th Annual Georgia Numismatic Association Coin & Currency show:

The 1st bar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1973 Colonial Mint "John Mitchell Exit" silver art bar. I paid $25.00 for it (4-19-2013 spot silver close = $23.29/oz). There is a serial number on the top edge of this bar. Serial # 2764.

The 2nd bar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is an "Ann Arbor, Michigan" silver art bar. It was minted in Switzerland (Valcambi SA) in 1974. I paid $27.00 for it (4-19-2013 spot silver close = $23.29/oz).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    andial likes this.
  27. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Here are two bars that I found today on the 2nd day of the 49th Annual Georgia Numismatic Association Coin & Currency show:

Bar #1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bar #2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bar #1 is a "John F. Kennedy Half" sterling (.925 pure) silver art bar and bar #2 is a "Carson City Dollar" sterling silver art bar. Both of those bars were minted by Mini Mint. There is no mint year listed for those two bars but based on the mint years that are listed for the other Mini Mint bars in the 2007 5th edition Archie Kidd guidebook, it is either a 1973 or 1974 mint year for each of the two bars. Bar #1 weighs 0.30 troy oz and bar # 2 weighs 0.31 troy oz. I paid a total amount of $7.00 for those two bars (average cost per bar = $3.50 per bar).

28. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

That "John Mitchell Exit" silver art bar is hilarious.:thumbs_up: I have some Watergate type bars like that myself, i'll have to find them one day.

Silver Art likes this.
  29. southfork

Gainesville coins is now selling 60/70s art bars as numis, they have a special section for art bars and rounds from days gone by.

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/category/641/silver-art-bars-and-rounds.aspx

2013 1 oz Silver Canadian Wood Bison (Wildlife Series)

1 oz Silver Round .999 Pure Silver Buffalo Design New

2013 1 oz American Silver Eagle (Roll of 20 Coins) Brilliant...

2013 1 oz American Silver Eagle Coins: Brilliant Uncirculate...

Silver Art Bars & Rounds

Animal

Corporate Promotional Art Bars

Fictional Characters

Gaming Tokens

Historical Events

Holidays and Celebrations

Lunar/Zodiac

Military

People

Places

Sports

Transportation

US Presidents

Miscellaneous

Silver Art Bars & Rounds

The U.S ceased minting silver coins in 1964, due to the rising cost of raw silver. This led to accelerated hoarding and melting of the silver coinage in circulation, and left citizens with no ready way to collect silver as an inflation hedge. Private companies entered the market by making collectible art bars and “rounds.” (Rounds look like coins, but are make by private parties and are not legal tender.)

Led by the Foster Company in 1969, many private mints began marketing collectible silver art bars, art rounds, and medals depicting every conceivable subject to the public. Many of these collectibles went into the melting pot when silver prices spiked in 1979, leaving a limited number for present day collectors. Silver art bars and rounds are a thriving market today as people look to them not only for accumulating bullion, but for their aesthetic value as well.

Silver Art likes this.
  30. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I took a look at some of the common-minted silver art bars being sold at gainesville coins and noticed that some of them are priced fairly and the rest of them are priced too high (i.e. $10 over spot or more) in my opinion. Since Gainesville coins is selling them as "numismatics", then it is not too surprising that they are priced higher than the regular silver bullion. Overall, I am also not very surprised that some dealers (online and local) are starting to sell silver art bars at higher premiums now. As more and more dealers become aware and educate themselves about silver art bars, then you will start to see more dealers price them as numismatics instead of pricing them as .999 generic silver bullion. With that said, I am still able to find and buy silver art bars at .999 generic silver premiums but it is getting harder to do so.

31. Hi Ho Silver

Hi Ho Silver Seeker Seeker

I run my mouth
    YOU OWN ALMOST ALL OF EM SA!!! :bowdown:

:s1::s1:

Silver Art likes this.
  32. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Hahahahaha!!!!!!! Nope. I am not even close to owning all of them. My silver art bar collection is very small since I am very picky on what silver art bars that I will buy. Needless to say, I will not corner the '70's silver art bar market in my lifetime. :)

33. southfork

Picked these up today at favorite lcs. 24.50 each

Attached Files:

917601 likes this.
  34. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Hey brother 'Fork, Since there is a lot of LCS buffoonery going on in the Southeast Tennessee/North Georgia area, I might move down to Florida with you and brother 'Solo and buy up some of those silver art bars for spot. :)
    :36_11_6:

just kidding...............................:36_2_36:

For the most part, my area has pretty much dried up of those old '70's silver art bars. I got lucky last Thursday (April 25) when a small mom-and-pop LCS in North Georgia had some old '70's silver art bars that he was selling. I bought a couple of those silver art bars from that LCS for a decent premium. I bought a 25-gram 1970 Kennedy Mint silver art bar for $20.00 (based on Thursday's close of $24.40/oz) and a 1-oz 1975 World Wide Mint Coca-Cola (Chattanooga) silver art bar for $28.00 which is a very low premium for a Coca-Cola bar.

35. southfork

Been pretty dry here too, I did get a raggedy ann and andy bar yesterday, was glad to snag these engelhards at .50 over, this lcs still saves me his art bars as he knows I save them.

Silver Art likes this.
  36. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    That 1974 International Silver Ingot Company "Raggedy Ann and Andy" silver art bar is a good purchase IMO. The LCS that I went to last Thursday (April 25) to buy those two silver art bars that I mentioned also keeps any unusual bars for me since I tend to call once every 1-2 weeks and I have done past business with him. Unfortunately, he usually does not get many silver art bars but I keep trying every 1 or 2 weeks to see what he has. With the other LCS's in my area charging $8+ over spot silver .999 generic silver, this LCS will be the main LCS that I go to from now on. I still will go to those other LCS's to see what silver art bars they have but I will not buy any silver art bars from them for $8 over spot silver unless it is a very rare bar (such as Greathouse Productions, Green Country Mint, Coca-Cola, The Mint, etc.) that is on my silver art bar wish list that I can justify to myself paying $8 over spot for it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  37. southfork

Picked this gem up with some rounds at the last fun show.

Attached Files:

Sport and newmisty like this.
  38. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

My LCS took in a series of numbered silver bars, I am wondering if anyone knows which private mint issued them?

British Leave Boston, March 17, 1776.

Battle of Long Island August 27-30, 1776.

Britain Declares War November 20, 1775.

An envelope for one of the bars indicates they were mailed individually (probably one a month?) from the CM Mint (there is a hallmark, which I read as CM). But might be something different.

The one still in the envelope was mailed from Brooklyn, N.Y. But I am curious as to what private mint issued this series of silver bars? They were apparently issued by some group celebrating the Bicentennial back in 1975 & 1976. The series was numbered on the edges. Mine was 000610.

Any ideas what the CM Mint was?

Thanks.

39. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    No idea when this was made or anything else about it.
    Do you?
    [​IMG]

40. southfork

Have you a picture of the back of the bar?