1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

70's silver art bars

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by GoldWampum, Aug 25, 2010.

1. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Silver Art likes this.
  2. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
  3. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

When silver dipped under $20 the art bars coming into the LCS up my way dried up completely. :afraid:

Silver Art likes this.
  4. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Without seeing a picture I would take a venture and say the Fleetwood Mint.

Does it look like this one on eBay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTLE-OF-L...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

5. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

At the fun show, www.funtopics.com art bars are scared, CPT stole some nice ones before I got here, I dont see 50 70s bars at the whole fricking show. The ones there most going for 23/25 bucks for nothing special.

Solo and newmisty like this.
  6. ~BS

~BS Gold Member Gold Chaser

So I got a couple interesting rounds in a purchase I made. Pics are kind of bad, but was too lazy to use a better setup. Any help in identifying the one with the girl's butt showing? There's no maker mark on it.

2ex4pkg.jpg

ht7hnr.jpg

hsqdna.jpg

7. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Bars were certainly scarce, but then again silver itself wasn't as readily available compared to prior shows. I'm thankful that I was able to grab a dozen or so common bars even though I paid a $2 to $3 premium per bar. I would imagine that any rare bars were snagged by Jim or dealers during the set-up on Wednesday, but its impossible to comment on what may or may not have been available:p. I didn't nab any rare or valuable bars, but they were all bars I did not have so I didn't mind the premium. After all beggars can't be choosers :thumbs_up:

Silver Art and southfork like this.
  8. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I asked Jim if he scarfed everything up and he said he didn't find any goodies either, only thing he bought was a set of enameled Disney bars another dealer brought for him and he paid a hefty premium for them.

Silver Art and Solo like this.
  9. ~BS

anyone have an idea on the nudie bar?

10. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

11. Silver Buck

Silver Buck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Gin Bottler
    Outside of a PM forum, this question takes on a completely different meaning.

Exonumia likes this.
  12. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

Thanks. But each of my three bars have a different back to it. They have a written commentary of the battle. The side that pictures the battle is probably the same one (a little hard to tell from the picture on Ebay). The Fleetwood Bars all have the same back.

I suspect the dies that picture the battles may have been "recycled" for different bars?

13. ~BS

My earlier pictures were rushed and pretty bad. These ones are better.

2nsow9j.jpg

300vd3o.jpg

2wp5ovp.jpg

n39fo4.jpg

One interesting note, the stevcoknit round is actually made by engelhard in 1978, and commands decent premiums on ebay of around $60. Seems like there's a collector's market for these rounds. Also interesting that the round is .999 silver, but the inscrption says "fabrics of sterling quality".

Silver Art, RxGold74 and newmisty like this.
  14. ~BS

those are columbia mint bars, mintage between 5000 - 10000. the series is "greatest events of the revolution" 50 bars in total.

15. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

Thank you.

Thank you. :cool05::cool05::cool05:

I had no idea who made the bars, or how many were in the set (I got 3 of 'em) . The dealer threw out the original holders, and with them any of the info that might have been included.

Once I had a mint name, I found this some addition info (my bars are numbered).

http://blog.silverartbars.com/

Columbia Mint – Greatest Events of the American Revolution

Posted on November 15, 2012 by silver1

Each bar has an individual reverse with historic information concerning
    the place or event depicted on the reverse. There are 50 bars in the set,
    each bar has been minted in plain .999 silver and .999 silver gold plated.
    Visit
    SilverArtBars.com Blue Book to learn more about these art bars at
    http://research.silverartbars.com/ad-category/puream/colu/

16. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

ooooh aaaaah,,,, I want that dead round.

17. ~BS

bit late. someone bought it for $75. It originally comes with a box & COA. I've seen it go for over $100 :bear_blink:

18. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

Got some fractionals, bars and rounds today at $1 over spot. The eagles were $3 over spot. I like the Yosemite bar and the Civil War rounds, even though they are toned. Sorry for the poor pics!

Attached Files:

19. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The '70's Engelhard Stevcowoven's, Naked lady, and Grateful Dead silver art rounds are the best buys IMO. Congrats on your purchases. :)

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yeah that seemed to be (and still is to some extent) the case with me with the LCS's in my local area. It has been hard to find some silver art bars when it fell to the $18-$19 range but I did manage to buy a few at .999 generic silver premium when spot was $18-$19 range. During some of the coin shows that I went to during May and June, I came up empty-handed which does not happen very often. Even to this day, it is still hard to find silver art bars in my local area but when some trickle in and it is one that I really wanted, then I will buy it. When spot is this low after it was in the $30's earlier this year, it can test a silver art bar collector's patience in finding silver art bars.

With all of that said, Overall between May and August, I did manage to pick up some silver art bars that were on my wish list for .999 generic silver premiums during the time that silver went under $26 despite dealers not getting much in. Patience is the key here IMO. Silver art bars were hard to find even before spot fell from $30 to $18. Good luck to you in your hunt for the ones that you want.

21. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I have a bunch of those Currier and Ives art bars b_ cahill that i have added to my Art bar collection. Over two ounces each. I will post a picture soon.

b_cahill likes this.
  22. andial

Well that ended up being a real pain in the rear taking the photos, then cropping and sizing them then rotating them, trying to make them look good but instead making them look like crap etc.:vollkommenauf:

Attached Files:

• h.jpg
      h.jpg
      File size:
      32.6 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
    • d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg
      e.jpg
      File size:
      91.1 KB
      Views:
    • f.jpg
      f.jpg
      File size:
      92.5 KB
      Views:
    b_cahill, smooth and Silver Art like this.
  23. Shiny

Shiny Silver Member Silver Miner

I use a scanner instead of taking a photo - keeps the sizing and squaring operation to a minimum.

FRM-15r1_TheCheckerGame.jpg

smooth, andial and Silver Art like this.
  24. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    King 'Dial and Shiny,

Nice bars and the pictures are not that bad to me. I think that those are Currier and Ives Franklin Mint bars are made out of .999 fine silver (2.78 oz each). I will, however, have to say that most of the Franklin Mint silver art bars that were produced were out of sterling silver.

I think that the Norman Rockwell bars are sterling silver. The oddball weight and the familiar stamping on the edges are also indicators that these are Franklin Mint silver art bars. I also will mention that Hamilton Mint also came out with Norman Rockwell series of silver are that were minted in the 1970's but the weight of those bars are 1-oz of .999 silver each. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: I was initially not sure since I thought that all Franklin Mint silver art bars were made out of sterling silver but I wanted to be sure so I checked an ebay auction and those were actually .999 silver but an oddball weight of 2.78 troy oz each.

Here are a couple examples of the Franklin Mint Norman Rockwell set of sterling silver art bars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norman-rock...128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c72b85948

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norman-Rock...pt=US_Bullion_Bars_Rounds&hash=item2eca8c4d7b

Here is an example of Currier and Ives Franklin Mint bars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-CURRIE...pt=US_Bullion_Bars_Rounds&hash=item1c36ad4098

That should clear up what I posted.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    andial likes this.
  25. andial

That guy is advertising his Currier and Ives as 3 troy ounces. You are correct it is 2 3/4 ounces .999 fine silver Art.:thumbs_up:

Edit:plus he is asking 150 bucks. That ought to show the "it all melts the same " crowd.

Silver Art likes this.
  26. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

Probably nothing special here, but I got them close to spot so I'm happy.

Attached Files:

27. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Generally speaking, silver art bars that were minted in the '70's by Madison Mint, Hamilton Mint and Patrick Mint are very common with mintages ranging from 5000 to 15,000 (and higher).

The 1976 Doyle's Coin Palace "United States of America - U.S. Bicentennial" silver art bar has different reverse types. The one pictured in the upper right is the common reverse type. There is another 1976 Doyle's Coin Palace "United States of America - U.S. Bicentennial" silver art bar with a much rarer reverse type. That reverse type has a "frosted" reverse type which is the same reverse type that are found on some of the late '70's/early '80's Greathouse silver art bars. That version of the bar with the "Greathouse reverse" lists a mintage of 50 according to the Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook.

The "200 Years of American Independence" silver art with the blank reverse type was minted by Green Duck Mint.

b_cahill likes this.
  28. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Look up in the sky. It's a Bird! No, it's a plane! No! It's.......................................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1974 Mount Everest Mint "Superman" silver art bar that is part of a 6-bar set called "Heroes of the Comics". I paid $25.36 for it at a LCS. This particular silver art bar also got my attention because 1.) it was on my silver art bar wish list and 2.) when I was much younger, I used to read comic books and I used to have some Batman comics.

29. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I sent out a Bat Signal to the LCS and found this................................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a "Batman and Robin" silver art bar that was minted in 1974 by the Mount Everest Mint. This bar is part of a 6-bar set called "Heroes of the Comics". I paid $25.36 for it at the LCS. Like the "Superman" silver art bar in my previous post, this one was on my silver art bar wish list.

30. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    My most recent silver art bar purchase that I bought yesterday........................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1-oz "Ten Dollar Gold" silver art bar. It was minted in 1973 by Mother Lode Mint. Even though it is titled "Ten Dollar Gold" in the 5th edition Archie Kidd guidebook, the front of the bar appears to look almost like that of a Morgan Silver Dollar except for the "Ten Dol.". I am not sure why it was listed "Ten Dollar Gold" in the guidebook. That is something that I have to look at further. Most Mother Lode Mint bars are fairly common but this particular one I do not see much. The guidebook does not list a mintage but I suspect that the mintage for this "Ten Dollar Gold" bar is lower than the average '70's Mother Lode Mint silver art bar. This is just a guess on my part. I bought this yesterday from a local flea market and I paid $21.00 for it (spot silver was $19.54 at that time).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    charlie1023 and stonedywankanobe like this.
  31. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Even though I already have this bar in my collection, I could not pass up the opportunity to buy another one. I bought a 1976 Doyle's Coin Palace "U.S. Bicentennial" silver art bar with the Greathouse Reverse from a local coin shop yesterday. Only 50 of this type of bar was minted. I paid $23.20 for it (spot silver = 19.68/oz). These can go for as much as $75+ on ebay. Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is toning on this bar but I plan to keep it the way it is. It is a decent find for me yesterday at the LCS.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    andial likes this.
  32. sherlockbullion

sherlockbullion New Member

some of these bars look real nice but some i am seeing on ebay i just dont know how to trust.

all this 100mills is just plated i think. sorry i am new to this. good time to start as prices seem way too low imo

33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Sherlockbullion,

First and foremost, welcome to GIM. :) I buy most of my silver art bars from the LCS and at coin shows. Unfortunately, you are right in that there are a lot of 100 mills (and equivalent) stuff selling on ebay. Every time I do a search on silver art bars, this kind of junk comes up. With that said, I will occasionally buy a silver art bar on ebay. I stick to the older silver art bars (usually ones from the 70's). Even though I do not bid very often on ebay, I am on there on a daily basis observing prices of certain silver art bars that I either have (in order to get an idea of how much they are worth) or that I want to get (in order to get the lowest price possible). The key here is to DYODD and do the research on what you are planning to buy on ebay. Ebay is a pool of sharks waiting to eat you up but if you DYODD and get an idea of what you are looking for and what price that you are willing to pay, then you will not get eaten by the sharks (i.e. scammers, price gougers, etc.) on ebay. The same thing also applies to finding silver art bars at a flea market but the only difference here is that you can see the product for yourself before buying it.

I understand that you are new to this and I also understand not being able to know what places to trust when buying silver art bars or any other PM's for that matter. There was a point in time that I was new to silver art bar collecting but I learned as I went along and made some mistakes along the way but I learned from most of those mistakes. My recommendation is 1.) find out what you are interested in. That can involve finding a local dealer(s) in your area and looking around and see what is out there. You do not have to buy anything. Do some "window shopping" and see what gets your attention. Do not feel obligated or pressured to buy anything.

34. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    2013: My Year in Review as a silver art bar collector

This year ended up being a very good year for me as a silver bar collector. I felt very fortunate to find a lot of silver art bars at various places throughout 2013. I always love it when I am able to find the ones that I want and pay only .999 generic silver premiums for them. 2013 got off to a great start when I went to a coin show that was located about 60 miles south of Atlanta, GA. It was a big show and I felt very fortunate to find 5 silver art bars at that show. During the rest of the Winter months (February and March), those were also good months for me for finding what I was looking for and April was also a good month for me as a collector.

May, June and July 2013 were my worst months in terms of finding silver art bars at the coin shows. I went to 3 coin shows in that period of time and came up empty-handed in two of them and bought only one at the other coin show during that period.

The August coin show that I went to in Dalton, GA was a very good show for like it has always been in terms of finding silver art bars that I was looking for for a low premium. I have to thank Silvertowne for that since they always seem to have some interesting silver art bars in their melt buckets. The coin shows that I attended in the months of September, October and November were also good and I had fun there. I did not go to any coin shows in December. Overall, I ended up attending 20 coin shows in 4 states (TN, GA, AL, SC).

This year, I also had better luck finding some rare and semi-rare silver art bars at the LCS and at the flea markets. I seemed to have had better luck at the LCS this year than last year. The key to buying some of them at the LCS was being very patient and making a lot of phone calls to the local dealers in a regular basis. It paid off for me and I am happy with the results. I also feel fortunate to have up to 8 LCS's in the Southeast TN/North Georgia area to go to and that always helps when I have different places to go to when I am hunting for silver art bars.

This year also marked a turning point for me as a collector in a couple of ways. One turning point for me this year was finding and buying silver art bar "memorabilia" on ebay. This includes stuff like 1.) old newspaper articles advertising silver art bars to collectors, 2.) Certificate of Authenticity that went into great detail about a particular bar and its theme and 3.) Trial strikes of certain bars that were made. I like collecting the silver art bar history just as much as I like collecting the silver art bars. I feel good about that. The 2nd turning point for me as a collector was joining a Website/Forum called Silver Art Collector (SAC) as one of the administrators. SAC is a website/forum that was created by Tony Crouch in April 2013 with the objective of it being a place on the Internet where collectors and people interested in the silver art bar/round hobby can come together and discuss silver art bar/round-related topics as well as a place where collectors can get information on certain silver art bars/rounds. I am very proud of Tony and what he has done with SAC and I feel very honored to play a small part in making it happen. I plan to continue my administrative duties there as well as post on their forum.

As for what my most favorite purchase of 2013. This is a very tough one because I have a lot of favorite purchases that I made in 2013 and I had to think about this. My favorite silver art bar purchase is this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a "Hang in There Baby" silver art bar that was minted in 1975 by International Silver Ingot Corporation. I bought this in May 2013 and I paid $29.96 for at a LCS (spot silver was $23.96/oz at that time). This is also my silver art bar pocket piece that I take with me when I go out. I like have a silver art bar in my wallet. That is just me. The reason that this SAB is my most favorite purchase of 2013 because I love the theme of this bar. When I have a bad day at work or just in life, I like looking at this to remind myself of what I enjoy and what helps keep me happy. The artwork is "ok" but it is the theme that got my attention. This bar is officially my favorite silver art bar purchase of 2013.

Overall, I put 2013 as a better year than 2012 was but not as good as 2011 was for me as a collector. It will be hard for me to match the 2011 year. That year will continue to be my best year ever as a silver art bar collector.
    As for what I think as a silver art bar collector of what might be (or not be) in 2014, here are some of my thought as 2014 starts tomorrow:

1.) 2014 for me will be a very challenging year for me as a collector - Overall, 2014 could end up being a tough year for me. I am saying this because I see spot silver going down further this year (to as low as $8.00) and that might make it difficult for me to find any silver art bars especially '70's bars. 2008 might play out again in 2014 in terms of what SAb's I can find and at what premium if spot goes back to $8/oz.

2.) More local dealers are pricing silver art bars (not just Coca-Cola) at higher premiums - I have started noticing this throughout part of this year and it is not just Coca-Cola bars. It might be bars with original packing or COA. It depends. It makes sense because the silver art bar market is very strong and some of them and fetch a lot of money depending on what it is. With that said, Most dealers still see most of them as just plain bullion and nothing else.

3.) Ebay premiums for silver art bars are dropping - This makes sense to me since spot silver dropped from $31 to $19. Most of the premium drop occurred in common minted silver art bars (such as Mother Lode Mint, Madison, Hamilton Mint) which track the spot price of silver. Some of the semi-rare bar premiums (such as certain USSC, certain Mount Everest Mint) have either dropped or stayed the same depending the current demand. The rare silver art bars (Greathouse, The Mint, Green Country, certain Coca-Cola) premiums have gone up on some of them and some did go down but when you are dealing with rare bars, it is strictly on current demand and has nothing to do with what spot silver is doing.

4.) More silver art bar collectors showing up online - I have really noticed that at the Silver Art Collector (SAC) website and that will probably continue since there is a strong demand for them despite the falling spot silver price.

5.) Planning on going to less coin shows in 2014 than I did this year - I am not sure how many coin shows I will attend in 2014 but it will be less than the 20 coin shows that I attended in 2013. I will concentrate on the bigger coin shows and I do not plan to go to as many of the small coin shows. I will probably go to at least 4 coin shows at the bare minimum. I am still in the planning stage of which coin shows I will go to in 2014.

6.) Ebay purchases - I did not buy many silver art bars on ebay this year and next year will be more of the same. I usually will try to look for BIN prices on certain silver art bars that are priced too low relative to what they usually go for on ebay. It does not happen very often but when it does, it is usually good for me.

7.) IASAC article - I hope to have time to write an article for the IASAC Bugle (IASAC Newsletter) but that will depend on how much time I will give myself to do this. I will have to see how 2014 goes before I decide to do this.

I do have some other observations and notes and plans but the 7 that I mentioned above are the main ones. I hope that 2014 will be another good year for me as a silver art bar collector but I am cautiously optimistic at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Rubiconomy and EO 11110 like this.
  35. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    Nice year in review. Good luck hunting in the new year.......

36. pitw

Well if I go with what I paid for an old saw this one cost 1/3 of spot. If I go with what I allowed the fellow in trade for the saw at my price it was 1.68x spot. Think I'll go with the first option as I like it better that way.

[​IMG]

As near as I can find it was built for one year by Foster mint. Been wrong so often it won't surprise me to be again.

Silver Art likes this.
  37. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Forgive me, but I am very new to art bars and have never bought silver art bars for the art, but for the silver. I picked these up yesterday for 22 bucks a piece which was about 1.82 over spot at time of sale. Should I up any aside or throw them in with the rest of my silver?

Attached Files:

Silver Art likes this.
  38. pitw

The englehards are selling for a fair premium over what you paid on ebay. The others I don't know but would definitely keep for the looks.:s1:

39. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Thanks.
    The others are Hamilton mint "our gratest Americans " and wonders of America

40. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014