1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

70's silver art bars

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by GoldWampum, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

The 1974 white house bar (ham-395) has a mintage of 10,000 with another 5,000 gold plated (ham-395G) and is one of 50 in the set.
    Same goes for the Alexander Hamilton (ham-598) and Charles Lindbergh (ham-589) Theodore Roosevelt (ham-593) Babe Ruth (ham-611) bars.

Silver Art likes this.
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Thanks for the information. I went to a coin shop I have not been to before today looking for others, needless to say I will not be going back. He treated my wife, my self and my father like trash. Which is good for the two local shops I frequent. Hope to find more 70's art bars. And even better news my wife have giving the on my new hobby.

3. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

Some people in business have no people skills.
    Here is a place that you can kill somemore time at :D
    http://www.silverartcollector.com/index.php

Exonumia and Silver Art like this.
  4. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I usually hang out at the silver art bar forum online but it has been a while since I posted on this thread but to be honest with you, I have not had much to say on this topic since I have not bought many silver art bars during the last 6 weeks or so. The last silver art bar that I bought was not a '70's silver art bar at all but still a good catch IMO for $23 at a coin show 2 weeks ago. It was a 1984 PAMP Suisse "Nude Honycomb with Bees" silver art bar. This year, so far, has been my worst year as a silver art bar collector but it was expected that it was not going to be a good year for me since silver art bars, especially the one that were minted in the 1970's, are much harder to find.

The local shops are bone dry. The shows for me so far have been disappointing. Out of the 7 coin shows that I attended so far this year, 4 of them I came up empty-handed in terms of finding any silver art bars. With that said, my best coin show of this year so far for me as a silver art bar collector was on February 27 when I attended the 2014 ANA National Money Show which was held in Atlanta, GA. So far, my best silver art bar purchase of this year was a 1973 Colonial Mint "Marilyn" bar that I bought for $23.00 (usually retails for $70-$100 on ebay) at the ANA show in Atlanta. I never get tired of buying another Marilyn Monroe bar especially when it is a nude pose. That NEVER gets old IMO. :)

Even though 2014 is not even half over, this is, by far, my most challenging year for me, I am very persistent and I will keep trying. I like this challenge and I feel that I will succeed. It just means that I have to try harder.

EO 11110 likes this.
  5. Exonumia

Exonumia New Member

Thanks for the link. I haven't been able to get to this forum for a while.

The tokencatalog.com site now has a section for silver art bars & rounds. But they need more pictures, IMHO. They also need more historical info. It is still a free site, open to the public, and anyone can contribute (if you know how to work the camera & picture thingee, something I still have not mastered).

http://tokencatalog.com/display_rec...try=All+Countries&td_state=&td_city=&view=Art Bars/Rounds&SubmitFilter=SearchClear

Recently I did find a number of interesting art bars, including a great house with Jesus staring up into a beam of light, and a gold plated Hawaii bar from the America the Beautiful series ---- Hamilton Mint stuff I believe. I did buy a Secretariate (horsehead) bar from Idaho. I don't have them with me, I will have to get the descriptions together.

There were a bunch of interesting bars at the last coin show I was able to get to. But the bars were treated rather badly. The dealer probably threw them all into a bank bag, shook them up vigorously, then kicked the bag across the parking lot a few times for exercise. (deep sigh). He wouldn't treat a bag of Morgan dollars like that, but art bars, anything goes.

Silver Art likes this.
  6. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

you sure you're not a coin show admission ticket collector posing as an art bar collector? :cool:

Silver Art likes this.
  7. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Nope. I do not make a good admission ticket collector and I do not attempt to play one on tv. :) However, it appears to me that I might have to go to more coin shows to have a chance of finding '70's silver art bars for .999 generic prices. The reason that I say this because I found it last week that my main LCS that I have been buying silver art bars from went out of business and has closed down. There were also 3 other LCS that were closed down. That is a crippling blow to me in terms of fining silver art bars for .999 generic silver premiums. There are still some LCS's in my area that I can still go to but it will be much different. Oh well..............

8. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The Greathouse "Jesus" bar that you are referring to is a an excellent find IMO. A 1981 Greathouse Productions "Wise Men Still Seek Him". Mintage of 100 according to the 2007 5th edition silver art bar guidebook. The Secretariate bar sounds like it is a 1973 United States Silver Corporation version.

EDIT: I usually do not find any Greathouse bars at coin shows but I did pick up a 1973 Greathouse "Dove of Peace" that was minted by United States Silver Corporation for $23 at a coin show that I went to in Georgia last month. Generally speaking the Greathouse bars that were minted by USSC are "lower end" Greathouse bars that do not have the usual high collector premium like the regular Greathouse bars do. The 1981 Greathouse Productions "Wise Men Still Seek Him" will get between $80 - $110 on ebay based on what I have seen in the past.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  9. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

I have purchased hundreds and viewed thousands of art bars over the last few years, but to date I have yet to find a Greathouse bar, Coke bar, or anything worth more than 2x melt. I have a few that I could probably sell for $50 on eBay right now, but considering how many I've seen at this point I've essentially given up on ever finding the cool old stuff. Hell, one LCS down the street from me started looking up art bars on ebay since I would buy them every trip. I went in one time and the guy was pumped to show me a common bar he just bought that was listed for crazy money on eBay. He quoted me a ridiculous price on it (not that it mattered as I already had two) and from that day forward I have never purchased another bar from him (I haven't even stopped in months). I did learn an important lesson though and that is to never show a preference for anything and when asking about art bars be as generic as possible.

Meh if I find cool bars great, but with spot around $20 I'm happy to find any non-holiday bar I don't have (which is most) priced at/near spot. I missed the boat by finding the art bar hobby too late (just a few years ago), but I have a plan to offer southfork a ridiculous amount of money for his best bars one day so hopefully that works out ;):p:cool:...

southfork and Silver Art like this.
  10. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    With 4 LCS's closing down recently, it will make it much harder to find silver art bars locally for .999 generic premiums. So far it has been a tough year for me and that was before 4 LCS's closing down. Luckily I know enough dealers locally to be able to still hunt down some silver art bars. It will be very interesting to see how the rest of this year goes for me as a collector.

EDIT: In several ways, I feel very lucky to have found the silver art bars that I did and was lucky enough to pay only .999 generic silver premiums for many of them.

EDIT2: Yeah when I showed a preference for '70's silver art bars, my main local dealer did not start selling them for ebay prices except for Coca-Cola and the occasional nude bars. I think what saved me was that I came in with more knowledge on rare silver art bars than what the dealers had and I knew what I was looking for and could spot it before the dealer had any clue of what it was since he originally saw it as "just an oz of silver". I guess that the dealer just saw me as an eccentric collector that had weird tastes on buying silver but always took my cash and had decent premiums on silver art bars since he treated most of them like .999 generic silver.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  11. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I hope that works out too.

12. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

why the price limit so tight.... only paying near spot? do you see limited upside over the long term? the designs are much more interesting and collectable than buying different dates of gov bullion (imo)

the supply at spot is drying up. could that not be the beginning of a general rise in prices for the things?

just amateur questions.....as I know nothing

13. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    If I can continue to find certain '70's silver art bars for .999 generic silver premiums, then I will go for those first. However, I did pay huge premiums on ebay for certain ones that were on my silver art bar wish list and that I wanted very badly. I do not regret that at all. I like going to the coin shows and LCS's to search for silver art bars and it makes it challenging and fulfilling for me. I aim to buy what I like and what is rare and hard-to-find. As for what collector premiums will do in the future, that is nearly impossible for me to predict because it is demand-driven on ebay and the supply is limited because of low mintages on several of them. I have seen collector premiums on certain silver art bars fall 50% while I have seen collector premiums on other ones double or more. Some collector premiums will stay where they are.

I agree with you in that the artwork and different designs are very interesting and that is the big reason that I like collecting them. There are several silver art bars that I like so much that I buy duplicate bars of a certain one if I can get it for .999 generic silver premiums. In my earlier years of collecting silver art bars, I would not buy duplicate bars of the ones that I already had but I started seeing the same certain rare and other bars at the LCS and coin shows that are usually hard to find that are selling for only .999 generic premiums and decided that pick up some of those bars even though I already had them. At this point I have a lot of duplicate bars of several types that I have.

Silver art bars are drying up at the local LCS level and it is more difficult to get them at generic premiums and that will only get worse from this point on in my opinion and that is when the LCS have plenty of other regular .999 silver. Also, some dealers are realizing the collector value of certain silver art bars and they are starting to sell them on ebay instead of locally in their .999 generic silver bin. Coca-Cola silver art bars are a prime example of this. However, there are still LCS's that will treat (i.e. price) silver art bars as .999 generic silver but there will be fewer and fewer of them as more dealers become aware of what they can bring in collector premium on ebay.

EO 11110 likes this.
  14. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Got a 1973 Christmas art bar and basically bought it because of the weight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silver Art likes this.
  15. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The "JB" symbols on the reverse side of the bar stand for James Bond and this bar was struck by Washington Mint for James Bond in 1973. FWIW the bar is slightly underweight in that it is supposedly supposed to weigh around 20-grams (0.64 troy oz) but that does not surprise me very much because I find that '70's silver art bars from certain private mints back then were slightly underweight. I am guessing that the quality control back in the '70's was not that good. However, it is a nice find IMO. Thanks for sharing. :)

pitw likes this.
  16. pitw

Thanks SA. I can now market it as a James Bond bar and not lie. Wonder who would be dumb enough to buy into my thinking?

17. pitw

The weight seems to have been a judged thing[or my scale is really a piece of junk:vollkommenauf:] as this Madison Mint bar I picked up[cause I got married on Valentines day to save the wife from having to be mad twice a year:cheerful:].
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the shadow of the heart on the back of the bar.
    [​IMG]

18. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The weight on a Madison Mint bar like that is not very surprising to me. I have Madison Mint bars that weighed between 30.6 - 31.4 grams. The weight variance on 1-oz '70's bars from Madison, Colonial and Ceeco Mint seem to vary more than usual. There were also some USSC bars that I had that were slightly under weight (30.9 grams). I also currently have a Greathouse bar that is underweight with it weighing at 30.9 grams. I equate that to poor quality control on the accuracy of the weight of the bars. Not all '70's silver art bars are under weight but certain ones from certain private mints back then.

As for the "shadow" on the reverse side of the bar, I have some World Wide Mint Chattanooga Coca-Cola bars where the "shadow" of the Coca-Cola bottle is on the reverse side of the bar. I am not sure if that was done on purpose or if that was a mint flaw when the bar was minted. If it was done on purpose, I do not know why they did it that way.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    pitw likes this.
  19. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I bought this 1973 USSC "Women's Liberation" 1-oz silver art bar from a dealer at a flea market today. I paid $20.00 for it (spot silver = $18.81/oz).......

Attached Files:

gringott likes this.
  20. southfork

Awesome score.

Silver Art likes this.
  21. astrodiver

astrodiver New Member

I really like reading (and looking at) your posts silver Art! I have lots n lots of USSC rounds mostly of this type but not one bar. I need to amend that.
    I know this is the Silver "Art" bar forum but I have several of these "New Hope Gold & Silver bars that I can't seem to find much info about (except a 10 oz. bar I saw on EB)

Anyone know any thing about these besides that they look like they were trimmed with a circular saw?

DSC_0283.jpg

Silver Art likes this.
  22. astrodiver

astrodiver New Member

23. southfork

If memory serves it's from New Hope Pa, it was a small refinery when I lived in Jersey and I think they are now defunct.

astrodiver and Silver Art like this.
  24. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I did see some some 10-oz USSC bars that were poured silver bars and I think those 10-oz poured bars were minted in the '70's but I am not sure. As for the New Hope silver bars in the pic, I honestly do not know anything about them because this is the first time that I have seen those type of bars. I have seen some USSC silver rounds like that one in the picture before. There are also some 1973 and 1974 mint year USSC rounds that have the "old style" world picture on the front and has a bird format on the reverse that is almost like one that you would see on the reverse of a Morgan silver dollar. I do not have any USSC silver art rounds. Just the 1-oz 1970's USSC silver art bars.

United State Silver Corporation (USSC) minted a lot of 1-oz 1970's silver art bars with lots of different themes on them. USSC minted lots of them for different private companies including minting 3 different ones in 1973 and 1974 for Greathouse Productions (Bluebird of Happiness, Lovebirds of Nature, Dove of Peace).

According to the Archie Kidd 5th edition guidebook, the 1973 USSC "Women's Liberation", bar was minted for Danny Crabb. I also looked in that guidebook to see how many were minted but the mintage is unknown. Based on my observation, this bar currently "retails" at around $50 on ebay. Even though this has been the toughest year overall for me in finding silver art bars that I really like, I am having very good luck with the "Women's Liberation" bar. The one that I posted the picture of earlier today (see post #819 of this thread) is the 3rd "Women's Liberation" bar that I bought this year. The other two "Women's Liberation" bars I bought earlier this year I also paid only .999 generic silver premiums each for them. I have to be honest with you in that I love adult-themed (nudity) silver art bars and if I have a chance to buy one for only .999 generic silver premiums, then I will jump on it. In my opinion, you can never have too many adult-themed bars.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    astrodiver likes this.
  25. astrodiver

astrodiver New Member

Thanks southfork. I kinda knew they were out of business but I didn't know New Hope was located in Pennsylvania.

Silver Art, I have both types of USSC rounds that you mentioned. If you want to trade a few (i don't care as long as it's a USSC bar) Bars for rounds
    please send a PM.

I agree you can never have enough bars, even adult themed! :)

26. Solo

Went to a decent sized show in Jacksonville today. It was the first time I've been to this show and given the distance it will probably be the last, but since I was due for a trip to Jax to visit family anyway I figured this weekend would be a great time to do so :cool:. Unfortunately Jim Best (silvertips on eBay...aka the art bar vacuum cleaner:p) was there all weekend so naturally there were almost no melt based bars there to buy, but I did find a few things to make the trip worthwhile. I had also asked Jim beforehand to bring any Florida themed bars/rounds with him since I started a Florida themed collection a while back and always pick up new pieces as long as they're reasonably close to melt. He had brought a stack of rounds, but I only bought two at $23ea as the others were just too much. Still, I was quite pleased to add a couple of cool Florida rounds to the pile as they truly are above average rounds IMO (I'll have to snap a better pic later).

The show itself was a medium sized show (roughly the size of the Lakeland show southfork) and well worth attending if you're withing a few hours and have some money to spend. I went looking for art bars and was quite disappointed, but I already knew Jim would be there and since I couldn't open the show on Friday I knew the pickings would be slim and boy were they. There were a number of dealers there, but aside from Jim no one had a hoard of art bars. In fact, I think I only saw 1oz art bars at 3 tables total (out of 100 or more). One guy was asking $25 for a common late 80s Silvertowne bar (no thanks), and the other had an awesome 3oz bar I had never seen before but was asking moon money ($300). Thankfully a dealer set up right across from Jim had a half dozen bars of which three were non-holiday so I bought all three at $21ea. They're 70's bars (Queen of Watergate), but I'm sure they don't trade for a premium since they're ugly as hell :p. Regardless I didn't have one yet so picking them up was a win (especially considering they were the only melt based bars at the entire show). I think this is the first decent sized show I've been to where I didn't see even *one* run of the mill Franklin or Hamilton mint bars (Wonders of America, America the Beautiful, etc.) :(.

I also picked up a couple of Franklin Mint sterling rounds for melt. Normally I pass those things up as dealers will try and pay waaaaay under melt for odd weight sterling rounds if you ever need to sell, but any vintage space themed round for melt is a must buy in my book and I didn't have these already so I was happy with the pair. Hopefully the next show will be better though.

Attached Files:

Silver Art, EO 11110 and southfork like this.
  27. southfork

Right on Solo, dam Jim sucks up all the cheapies at small shows, best shot is the summer and winter fun shows, his pockets aren't deep enough there. Jim has some fine bars but his prices show how proud he is of them, he wanted 27 for some libertads at 19sh silver last time I saw him. Watergate bars are nice though.

Silver Art likes this.
  28. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I have bought silver art bars that were on my wish list from Jim in the past and he is good to deal with. I usually look for any silver art bars for .999 generic silver premiums first and then buy from Jim if I have any FRN's left over. Jim is one of the top silver art bar people in the U.S. with 40 years of knowledge and experience and I respect him a lot and I have learned from him over the years. Jim (and his wife) do travel outside of Florida to go to major coin shows in Georgia and Tennessee. I see Jim when I go to major coin shows in Georgia and Tennessee.

Sometimes I will have success finding silver art bars that he might have missed but most of the time, he usually nearly all of the good ones since he is a dealer and takes advantage of the "dealers only" day that is typical at major coin shows. The only time that I remember besting Jim at finding rare '70's silver art bars at a coin show was at a coin show in Dalton, GA in August 2011 when I came across some very 3 rare '70's Death Valley Mint/USSC adult-themed at a coin show in Dalton, GA. Since I had some cash left over at that time, I also ended up buying a rare 1978 Duane Spellman "The Mint" sport-themed bar from Jim at that same Dalton, GA coin show in August 2011.

I do not mind competing with Jim (and other silver art bar collectors) in the silver art bar hunt because I have enough experience and knowledge myself as well as a small network of dealers that I do business with to help me in my hunt for '70's silver art bars.

EDIT: @Solo: The 1973 Colonial Mint Queen of Watergate is a fairly common silver art bar that will usually sell for $5-$7 over spot on ebay at best (before ebay/paypal fees). Still better than nothing since old silver art bars are much harder to find now than ever before.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  29. Solo

Have any of you guys watched error art bars on ebay or elsewhere before? I have a fascination with errors on coins (I have a few off center strikes, blank planchets, etc.) and have never really sought out art bar errors as I only pay close to melt for art bars 99% of the time, but while researching bars tonight I stumbled upon a closed auction for a wicked cool error. It was priced at $180 and didn't sell on ebay. Has anyone here seen art bar errors of any type and if so do you remember the premiums involved?

Here is the seller's description:
    On a related note the bar in question has three different versions according to this page (I have one of the plain back varieties) so it was cool to find out that I had a nudie bar in my collection that I didn't know about :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

• $_12.JPG
      $_12.JPG
      File size:
      43.2 KB
      Views:
  30. pitw

The fellow who has that bar is one of the most knowledgeable silver bars guys I've had the pleasure of chatting with. I hope to get him up for a fishing trip and find out what else he knows. Many error bars/rounds out there and the premiums I have seen is what the buyer will pay. I sold one of the copper marked, silver zombuck rounds for $200.

Solo likes this.
  31. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Solo,

I have seen a few silver art bar errors before but not many. I have seen a strike error version of a 1974 Frontier Mint "Cheyenne Deadwood Stage" silver art bar at a coin show a few years ago but that was it. I think that I saw a silver art bar error bar displayed at a coin show in August 2012 while I was attending the 2012 IASAC Convention.

As for the 1973 Belfor & Causey "Pipedreamer" silver art bar, I have to say that it is a pleasant surprise to find a piece of nudity on a silver art bar. I do not have that particular bar but I have a 1973 Great Lakes Mint "Silvertowne Grandpa" silver art bar that has some nudity on it that appears to be "hidden", such as the Pipedreamer bar, but one has to look very carefully to find it. When I get a chance and I am not too busy, then I might decide to post a picture of that bar here on this thread. If I do not get around to posting it here, then there is a picture of the 1973 Great Lakes Mint "Silvertowne Grandpa" bar on the Silver Art Collector website.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  32. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I know who you are talking about. I have done business with him in the past. I bought a Duane Spellman The Mint 1981 World Series silver art bar from him a few years ago. He is highly knowledgeable and has a lot of silver art bar collecting experience. I respect him very much and I have learned several things about certain silver art bars from him.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    A couple of '70's silver art bars that I bought last Saturday and earlier today from a couple of coin shops. The 1st one is a 1973 Great Lakes Mint "High Wheeler" and the 2nd one is a 1973 "1st Wisconsin Center" that was minted in Switzerland by Valcombi SA. I paid $25.00 for the "High Wheeler" bar (spot was at $19.01 at the time) from a coin shop while I was out of town last Saturday. I paid $21.72 for the "1st Wisconsin Center" bar (spot was $19.19 at the time) from a local dealer that I visited today while I was lunch break from work. These are not rare '70's bars but ones but it was better than nothing and considering my dismal year-to-date of 2014 of buying silver art bars, I am just happy to find something that I am slightly interested in adding to my collection. Here are the pics:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    EO 11110 and Solo like this.
  34. AgBar

AgBar Commodore Gold Chaser

Physicist
    The Great Lakes Mint forgot about Lake Ontario! :signs8:

Still, nice scores, S.A. :coolbeer:

Solo and Silver Art like this.
  35. pitw

The wheeler is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine silver.

Silver Art likes this.
  36. Solo

Ivan Rash of the Rainbow Mint

I've got a question for you Josey. Who is "Ivan Rash" at the Rainbow Mint? I've seen a number of vintage silver bars where he "enamels" them in the worst possible way and then hand stamps the back with a serial number. I would be embarrassed to attach my name to the atrocities below so I'm wondering if anyone else has more info about him?

Attached Files:

37. southfork

Re: Ivan Rash of the Rainbow Mint

Maybe I should start enamling my old bars and putting them on flea bay.

Solo likes this.
  38. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Ivan Rash is the owner of Rainbow Mint and his specialty is enameling silver art bars and he does that by hand-painting them himself. He has been doing that since the 1980's. My opinion of him is that I like that he enamels certain silver art bars. There are certain Rainbow Mint enameled bars that I do not like and will not buy but there are quite a few Rainbow Mint bars that I love very much and I have several of his enameled art bars. I have never met him in person but I communicated with him on the internet when I used to have a Facebook account and I have bought some of his enameled RM art bars directly from him (via ebay). There are some silver art bars that I have that I might get him to enamel because I like his "style" of enameling.

As I mentioned, there are some Rainbow Mint silver art bars that I like but there are also some that I do not like. However, the Rainbow mint ones that I do not like does not have anything to do with his paintwork enamel but with the underlying bar itself. In other words, if that same bar was a regular un-enameled silver art bar, I still would not buy it because either 1.) Not interested in the theme or 2.) It is a common silver art bar that I was not interested in buying in the first place. For example, if I saw a 1974 Madison Mint "Happy Valentines Day" silver art bar selling for melt at a LCS, I would not buy it because I am not interested in holiday-themed silver art bars. If, hypothetically, I saw an Ivan Rash Rainbow Mint hand-painted version of that same 1974 Madison Mint Happy Valentines Day silver art bar, I still would not buy it because I was never interested in the underlying silver art bar. The same goes for the bars pictured in this post because I am not interested in the underlying silver art bars.

With all of that said, it has been about 6 months since I bought an Ivan Rash Rainbow Mint silver art bar but I am on ebay to see what he has for sale. If I find something that I truly like and is within my budget, then I will get it and pay the "retail" price for it. It just depends and my taste in enameled silver art bars is...............................well.............eccentric to say the least. :)

Of all of the Rainbow Mint bars that I currently have in my collection, my favorite one is the hand-painted enameled 2012 "Twinkies" theme which depicts Hostess filing for Bankruptcy in 2012 (the underlying bar is a blank Silvetowne bar). I liked that "Twinkies" bar that he did because of the colors that he used for the Twinkies and way that he did it. My second favorite RM bar is the hand-painted enameled 1973 Justice Mint "Great Dane" because he painted the dog white. That enameled Great Dane bar was the one that I posted a SAC link on in the "Silver is a dog" thread.

Solo, I know that you have your opinion on his artwork and you are entitled to that opinion but I will have to respectfully disagree on this because I do like several of his artwork and several of them look very nice to me. It is one of those things that we have to agree to disagree since this is very subjective and opinions will vary. Beauty is on the eye of the beholder.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    pitw and Solo like this.
  39. Solo

You better not sell, enamel, or dump any of your art bars on eBay before we work out a deal where I trade you ASE's plus cash for some/all of your art bars (seriously) :cool:.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I knew you would know so I figured this was the best place to ask. As for your comments above I don't think we necessarily disagree as I'm sure he has produced some decent work. However I have yet to see a single nicely painted example of his work that I would be proud to own so I don't really have the best opinion on his work from what I've seen thus far. To be fair I haven't really sought out his work or researched him further, but the bars above are so bad (IMO) that I have no interest in spending much time googling him. If you have examples of his work where the painting doesn't look like total slop I'd love to see a pic or two (sorry, but your pic in the silver is a dog thread is uber low res:p).

I have a few more questions on him while we're on the subject:

1) Did he ever actually produce anything himself? I've seen a half dozen to a dozen examples where enamels bars from other mints, but I have yet to see an original design.
    2) When were these done?
    3) Do the Kidd books mention him?
    4) When are you going to post pics of his better work ;):cool:?

40. southfork

Ive never seen any of his bars and Ive been to a few shows in my time.