1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

70's silver art bars

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by GoldWampum, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Re: Ivan Rash of the Rainbow Mint

1.) He might have done one bar that was originally his and I think that it was a Rainbow Mint 30th Anniversary bar (with the help of CMG Mint and Silvertowne for production????) but I am not completely sure on this.

2.) I think that he did that Rainbow Mint 30th Anniversary bar (1984-2014) in 2013 even though the 30th Anniversary year is 2014.

3.) The Kidd book (5th edition) does list some of his earlier enameled silver art bars

4.) I do not plan to post them here but since I am on SAC, I did take pictures of 2 other Rainbow Mint enameled silver art bars that I currently have and they are on SAC and can be found on the following links:.

http://www.silverartcollector.com/productdetail.php?id=248

http://www.silverartcollector.com/productdetail.php?id=147

As I mentioned in my previous post, my favorite Rainbow Mint bar is the "Twinkies" enameled silver art bar that I did in 2012 (see second link). I will also admit that I am not completely knowledgeable about Rainbow Mint other than what I have seen and what he told me but it is an interesting piece of enameled work that has its own following since Ivan Rash is well known among silver art bar collectors.

EDIT: Solo, on the SAC forum, there is a poster there that goes by the screen name of "Tommy" that will know more about Rainbow Mint and the related enameled silver art bars than I do and you can reach out to him (via PM or posting on the SAC forum) there if you had any questions. He is highly knowledgeable about silver art bars and he can tell more about Rainbow Mint.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Solo likes this.
  2. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

I have not seen any Rainbow Mint bars anywhere (except on ebay). Based on my past experience, it is a very rare occurrence that you will see a Rainbow Mint enameled art bar at a coin show or at a LCS because nearly all of them are in the hands of private collectors. 99.9999% of the time. RM bars will be on ebay and the main reason for is because some silver art bar sellers might have bought some directly from Ivan Rash a few years ago to resale on ebay. From what I have seen, Ivan Rash also puts all of his art work on ebay and they sell fairly well since he is well known for his artwork that he has been doing for 30 years.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    southfork likes this.
  3. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain more SA. On some level I shouldn't be so dismissive as the guy is a part of art bar history. However the majority of his work is so sloppy (IMO) that I'm surprised people care/pay up for his stuff regardless of how long he's been around. Either way thanks for the info :).

Silver Art likes this.
  4. Solo

Here's a lovely ebay score that just came in. I paid roughly one dollar over melt per bar for 70's bars that are still in their original package. Unfortunately they are the gold plated version of the Hamilton Mint's presidential series (they're actually rarer, but most prefer the more common silver version), but I'm not about to complain about picking up mint condition vintage art bars in original packaging for junk bin pricing :yes:! Hell if anyone has a hundred of these things for a buck over drop me a line ;)!

:thrasher::23_30_104::565::elefant::bulride:

hamiltonMintGPpresidents.jpg

Silver Art likes this.
  5. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

Ynot :D
    Use testers enamel model paint, a good thin brush and a large magnifying glass. :thumbs_up:

Solo likes this.
  6. rte

Nice score
    test the waters on the bay,you might find a collector.

Solo likes this.
  7. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Too bad they wrecked them bars with pictures of guys I never met. Great pick up. You'd think gold plated would be worth more but what the [L] do I know.

Solo likes this.
  8. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    No problem. You are entitled to your opinion and when it comes to any type of "art", beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

9. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    That is a very good price that you paid on ebay for a silver art bar IMO. Congrats. :)

10. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Thief.

Solo likes this.
  11. southfork

Just happened to see this bar of his on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIRCUS-1-oz...pt=US_Bullion_Bars_Rounds&hash=item3f37e60fd0

12. pitw

Got another using a $20 coupon from ebay. Makes it the cheapest yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SWRichmond, Silver Art and Solo like this.
  13. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I have been lurking on ebay but I did not bid on anything because 1.) Did not see anything that I wanted or 2.) I saw what I wanted but I did not want to pay "retail" for it. I did not get a $20 coupon but I have not bought a silver art bar (or anything else for that matter) on ebay in a loooooong time. Great snag Pitw. :) As usual, the LCS's did not have any silver art bars at all and it might be a long while until I go to another coin show since I might be working some long hours during the Summer (Between 11 to 13 hours/day during most of the upcoming Summer). Bummer for me. :(

As for the bar pictured, snagging some Foreign silver art bars can add something very different to your collection.

14. pitw

They are damn near all foreign to me.:hmmmm2:

Silver Art likes this.
  15. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Good point. I guess that my being a U.S.-based silver art bar collector, I see them as "foreign silver art bars" meaning not minted in the U.S. I have to remind myself that not every silver art bar collector is based in the U.S. Thanks for reminding me of that. :) The bar pictured is still a great snag with the $20 ebay coupon. It is hard to snag a silver art bar for close to melt on ebay. :) I probably will not lurk on ebay for silver art bars for a while since I plan on taking a break from posting on forums and taking a break from silver art bar collecting for a while in order for me to "recharge my batteries". Silver art bar "hoors" need a break every once in a while.

16. southfork

Just picked this up at the gun show yesterday.

Attached Files:

17. pitw

Nice bar, what do you do? Make werewolf bullets?

18. southfork

Not with this one its for resale, I use generic for my werewolf bullets.

19. Solo

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me, thanks! :bear_grin:

Make sure you put that uber low serial number in the ebay auction listing title! The W prefix is less common on those bars as well so I bet you do quite well with it:cheers:.

*PM me the auction when you list it as I want to see how well it does. Oh, and stop listing 80's bullion in the 70's art bar thread:mad:;)!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  20. southfork

ROTFLMAO

21. rte

Nice bar
    Market it to someone for their 25th anniversary.

PFD :rolleyes: (now that's a good one)

22. southfork

Don't look like its making it to ebay, an online dealer that's bought from me before just offered me 675 for it. Paid 300 at the show so I cant squawk about a 375 profit

Solo likes this.
  23. Solo

While it might fetch more on the bay I can't blame you one bit for taking the money and running[​IMG]

Had a nice small snag this past week (paid about a buck over including shipping), but thanks to Friday's surge I'm already up on them :p:

atb_fiveBarsInMailerRev.jpg

Attached Files:

southfork likes this.
  24. pitw

Quit that.

Not really.

25. southfork

Yahh could have gotten more on the bay maybe, but then 10% in fees is out there, have a set of those bars myself picked up years back. Good snag,

26. Solo

Picked up a group of 20 gram bars yesterday for melt, and the other lot of 1oz generics for $23.50 which isn't the best price, but I'll take bars like these at $2over all day long. The rounds I bought simply because they were too cool to pass up. One fits my Florida collection, the other is one of those early 80's San Fran assay peices, and the other was too cool to leave behind :cool:.

Oh, and yes I realize the one bar is from the Chinese seller. I'm going to cut into later today for thorough testing, but it feels right in hand.

Attached Files:

pitw and EO 11110 like this.
  27. pitw

I'm aware this bar wasn't built in the 70's but it deserves to be in this thread anyway. I bought it cause it made me think of GIMers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Solo likes this.
  28. HaroldS

HaroldS Seeker Seeker

img518.jpg

OK You got me hooked. Stopped at my LCS today, even tho they are charging $22.88 per oz. Found two 70's bars so took the dive. Kinda tarnished tho. (Altho not as bad as the pictures look, that's how them came out of the scanner.)
    First one is First Silver Bar Issue of Mt Everest Mint, struck in 1973

img520.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    pitw and Solo like this.
  29. HaroldS

HaroldS Seeker Seeker

Second one is Boston Tea Party Bicentenial 1773 - 1973 also by MEM - I hope you can see the error EELONG
    View attachment 63018
    img517.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Solo likes this.
  30. rte

The Boston Tea Party Bicentenial 1773 - 1973 is a nice one
    If your looking to clean up the little tarnish?
    I use E-Z-EST Coin Cleaner Dip

31. pitw

Do you feel like a fish?

32. rte

Not so 70ies but rather 1997
    So I happen into this shop today and what do I see.....Silver art bars :D
    some generic at +$3
    and some interesting ones (fast fords) and some (Ford Authorized bars)
    neither set complete
    fast fords.jpg
    Question is do I really need to rescue them from the display at +$4 over spot?

EO 11110, Solo and pitw like this.
  33. Solo

You should have offered $2 over spot for all the car bars for sure ;). The Fast Fords series mintage isn't known, but Ken Potter has stated before he believes the mintage is around 1000 (he is one of the most knowledgeable collectors/dealers in the silver art hobby who has been collecting for decades now). The Remanufactured series has a mintage of 850 and is definitely a buy at a few bucks over. If it were me I would have offered a couple bucks over for all of the bars and see if he bites. The common bars at the top aren't worth much, but they're still a cool 1oz pieces of vintage silver so buying them to secure the others would have been worth it to me. The Ford bars don't sell routinely for significantly more than melt, but the better bars like that Shelby GT will sometimes sell for $50+ to someone on ebay who bought from a seller fishing for a high price via a BuyItNow.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  34. rte

I wonder if they will deal? (cant hurt to ask)
    Its and AZ gold and silver buying place & you know they didnt pay anywhere near spot.
    I was delivering a job and one person after another came in to sell off gold or silver bits for cheap :rolleyes: One guy even said IS that IT,left and came back in 2 minutes to sell what he had.

I think they are at $25ea now
    I was in there on a work related stuff so I only ended up with 2 little 5 gram JM bars at $4.50ea :D and a few pictures to reference later.
    There is only 7 FA bars maybe 8 depending on the reverse one showing but Ken Potter has 3 that are missing on his site for $38.99ea
    Still trying to pay off the silver I picked up last month :rolleyes:

35. HaroldS

HaroldS Seeker Seeker

OK I've become hooked (see above). Is there anywhere a list of "good," or "hard-to-find" bars to look for? I understand the Marilyn Monroes, and "Nudes." Which Coca Colas? Everything dated in the 70's? Thanks!

36. Solo

At this point ANY bar that is clearly from the mid 90's and earlier is a must buy at spot plus a buck or so. There are hundreds (or possibly thousands) of 'common' bars out there that don't command much of a premium over melt at the moment (most holiday, Hamilton mint, Franklin mint, and other bars), but finding even the common stuff these days for melt based pricing is a challenge.

Nudies are certainly desirable as well as the others you mentioned, but there are far too many better bars out there to try and begin to describe them all. In a nutshell though, any vintage bar that has a cool theme (sports, politically satirical, oddball/cheesy/tacky, etc.) will probably go for more than spot on ebay. The best place to start learning is by joining a few of us here over on the silverartcollector.com. On the main page you'll see a link for "Browse" at the top and that will allow you to view thousands of bars that have been added to the database. Here's a link to view all of the United States Silver Corp bars (one of my favorite mints) http://www.silverartcollector.com/itemsbymint.php?id=145 for example. Also, there is a forum there and although it isn't very busy, it's worth popping in from time to time. Lastly, if you follow the link to the site, you'll see a link to put you in touch with someone selling the Archie Kidd books. They are essentially considered the bible of the hobby and they're well worth owning as they will answer most any question that you have about a bar (value, mintage, etc.).

Of course you should feel free to ask questions here as well as there are a few of us here with the sickness ;) :p

Shiny and HaroldS like this.
  37. pitw

You really don't want nudies as your wife may beat you when she finds out you been calling them coyote calls.:realmad:
    Any art bar is a decent investment if you like it. Unlike a casino gaming machine you will at least have something when you run outta FRN's.

38. HaroldS

HaroldS Seeker Seeker

Thanks so much for the information Solo. I've been to that site and just now beginning to go there in depth. It is a huge source of information.

39. HaroldS

HaroldS Seeker Seeker

LOL pitw. I'm almost 79 - what's a coyote call again? My wife would just laugh at me.

But I do like the idea of silver bars vs a slot machine.

40. southfork