1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

70's silver art bars

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by GoldWampum, Aug 25, 2010.

1. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Been looking for this one for a spell as I do like my wildlife. It's a USSC bar.
    [​IMG]

Silver Art and EO 11110 like this.
  2. BigKCollector

BigKCollector New Member

Does anyone know about a 1000 grain bar stamped: Pioneer Mint 71. Cheshire Connecticut shaped like the state of Ct? Is this listed in any Silver Art Bar books? Thanks

3. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

Welcome and yes the 5th Edition Archie Kidd Guide book has it on page 209
    Listed as PME-5 (year 1971)
    Was to be a 50 piece set of state ingots (issued 5 at a time) until complete.

Silver Art likes this.
  4. BigKCollector

BigKCollector New Member

Thanks. I think this is a unknown bar image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Silver Art likes this.
  5. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

....I do not know how rare they are, I picked up hundreds in the original wrapper years ago ( about 5 bucks apiece, there was no interest in them) any info about them is scarce, I guess they are worth what ever you can get for them. I like them because they are in the original packaging.

Attached Files:

pitw and Chester-Copperpot like this.
  6. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Very cool bars.

7. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Here are a select few of the many '70's silver art bars that I bought throughout 2015 so far. From top to bottom.

1.) 1974 World Inc "Washington, George/Martha" - Part of the "President and First Lady" 37-bar set that was minted in 1974; Paid $21.00 for it from a flea market (spot was $17.07/oz at time of purchase) in May 2015.

2.) 1973 Switzerland "Drovers Country"; Paid $19.00 for it at a coin show in April 2015 (spot was $16.75/oz at time of purchase). A high rarity value bar on ebay

3.) 1973 Patrick Mint "Texas Rangers 150th Anniversary 1823- 1973"; Paid $18.50 for it at a LCS in June 2015 (spot was $16.13 at time of purchase). Fairly common bar found on ebay.

Attached Files:

gringott and 917601 like this.
  8. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Another '70's silver art bar purchase in 2015...........

1977 Coca-Cola - Birmingham (Ex-Jewelry): So far in 2015, this is the only Coca-Cola silver art bar that I bought. They are much harder to find now and the Birmingham Coca-Cola bar is one of the most common ones with a reported mintage of 12,000. The hole at the top of the bar was where it used to be a necklace. I normally would not buy this Coca-Cola bar in this condition but I could not turn it down at $18.00 so I paid $18 for it at a coin show on February 2015 (spot was $16.57 at time of purchase).

Attached Files:

9. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    2.) 1973 Madison Mint "Bar Mitzvah 1973-74": Just a common '70's silver art bar which does not mean much at this point since '70's silver art bars have been very hard to find. I bought this one at a coin show in Georgia in April 2015 and I paid $19.25 for it (spot was $16.23/oz at time of purchase).

Attached Files:

10. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    An enameled '70's silver art bar purchase in 2015..........

1975 Ceeco Mint "St Valentine's Day": I have always had a weakness for old '70's and '80's enameled bars especially when they are done right such as this 1975 Ceeco Mint one. Nice bright colors. A nice bar. I paid $17.50 for it at a local flea market late last month (spot was $15.74/oz at the time of purchase).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  11. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Besides the detailed artwork on this bar, I like the sayings used which seems to be very typical for USSC wildlife bars such as this one.

gringott and HistoryStudent like this.
  12. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I went to one of the local flea markets today early this morning to see what silver art bars I can find. There was a dealer there that had a couple of silver art bars. One was a special occasion bar that appeared to be minted by Silvertowne but I was not interested in it. The other was a Hank Aaron silver art bar (USSC-113V). These are usually numbered and have a mintage of 715 which represents the total number of home runs that Hank Aaron hit to break Babe Ruth's record of 714 on April 8, 1974. However, this one has a much lower mintage of 10 according to the 5th edition Archie Kidd guidebook. I paid $16.00 for it (spot closed at $14.79/oz last Friday 7-31-2015). This is, by far my best '70's silver art bar purchase of 2015 and that is saying a lot because this year as been a dismal year for me as a silver art bar collector since old bars are very hard to come by in my local area.

Here is what this bar looks like:

Attached Files:

smooth, EO 11110 and pitw like this.
  13. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    A '70's silver art bar purchase from a LCS earlier today. I paid $17.00 for it (spot currently at $14.81). It was minted in 1973 by Bar Mint (struck by World Wide Mint) and it has a Greathouse Reverse which is a rare reverse type that is not seen very often. Here is what it looks like..............

Attached Files:

gold4278 and pitw like this.
  14. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The following '70's silver art bar is one of the ones that I bought during 1st day (Yesterday) of the 56th Blue Ridge Numismatic Association coin show. It is a 1974 Crabtree Mint silver art bar. I paid $17.00 for it (spot at $15.35/oz). Here is what it looks like:

Attached Files:

15. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    This is not my latest silver art bar acquisition but I purchased the following 2 silver art bars last month from a coin show in Chattanooga, TN. These are two 1-oz Coca Cola 75th Anniversary silver art bars. The one on the left is the "Orangeburg, SC 1904 - 1979" and the one on the right is the "Middlesboro, KY - 1904 - 1979". These were both minted by World Wide Mint. The weight and purity are stamped on one edge of the bar and a serial number is located on the other edge of the bars. The mintage for each one is 1200 according to Tom Mocks 2nd Edition Coca-Cola silver art bar guidebook. I paid $54.50 for each bar for a total of $109.00 (spot silver was $14.28/oz on the day of purchase). These two Coca-Cola bars are hard to find given the low mintage and, most recently, I have seen similar bars like the ones that I bought sell for between $80 to $125 for the Middlesboro Coke bar and between $125 to $150 for the Orangeburg Coke bar based on prices that I have observed on ebay. These were on my silver art bar wish list and I am glad that I was able to find them and pay a relative decent price for them.

Here are what they look like:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  16. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    2015 '70's silver art bar Year in Review:

I know that there is still one week left in 2015 but I decided to write up my year-end review since one more week is not going to make a difference IMO. If I had to sum up all of 2015 regarding '70's silver art bars then it is this: A terrible year overall with a few "home runs". In other words, 2015, as a '70's silver art bar collector, has been a worse year than 2014 but there some bright spots that kept me going. I had a few are finds throughout this year. The two 1970's Coca-Cola 1-oz silver art bars that I bought in early November 2015 (see post # 935 of this thread) are a couple of bright spots and considering that I love collecting Coke bars, this made my day when I found them at a local coin show. A 1974 USSC "Hank Aaron" sample silver art bar (see post # 932 of this thread) is another great find. The 1973 Switzerland "Drovers Country" silver art bar is a solid high value find that I paid only $19.00 for it (see post # 927 of this thread). Also , the 1974 World Wide Mint "Ryman Auditorium" silver art bar (see post #919 of this thread) is also a great find to start off 2015 when I bought it in January 2015.

Out of all of the '70's silver art bars that I bought in 2015, I will say that the 1974 USSC "Hank Aaron" silver art bar that I bought in August 2015 for $16.00 is my 2015 "'70's silver art bar Find of The Year". The reason why this is my find of the year because it is very rare sample bar in that there were only 10 of that type of bar minted. I feel very happy to own 1 of the 10 Hank Aaron Sample silver art bars known in existence. I have never seen a sample Hank Aaron bar sell on ebay but I have seen regular ones sell for between $60 - $100 on ebay. If I had to guestimate the value of this bar. I would say it would fetch between $160 - $210 on ebay because it is a very rare sample.

Looking into 2016, I expect more of the same in terms of finding '70's silver art bar in that it will be another difficult year since spot is getting lower and old vintage '70's silver art bars are getting much harder to find now at coin shows and local coin shops. However, I will not give up because I never know what I will find and the thrill of the '70's silver art bar hunt makes it very interesting and challenging.

17. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anyone heard from Arty? Newmisty comes to mind also.

Silver Art likes this.
  18. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I hope they aren't on that fishing trip with Gold Duck!

19. stonedywankanobe

Both are fairly young guys. I know that misty sold to buy a new place a good while back but I didn't figure he was finished.
    Artsy has the fever and is probably fondling his nudy art bars as we speak but hasn't posted anywhere since last December.
    Been a little worried about those boys.

Silver Art, andial and oldgaranddad like this.
  20. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Just speculating Will but Art was a kind hearted guy maybe all the hate over the election made him tune out for awhile.
    Guilty myself of being hateful over this election also. (Cliton's fault)

21. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I just realized that it was been since December 31, 2015 that I have posted on GIM2 but I am still collecting '70's silver art bars. However, I am now also a silver art bar reseller on ebay as I have a an ebay sideline hobby business selling silver art bars. I have mainly been selling some duplicate bars on ebay and have been making a very good profit on all of them (net price after ebay/paypal fees and shipping per oz is between $24 - $79 per oz as much as $110 per oz on certain old bars). The last 1-oz '70's silver art bar that I sold on ebay I sold for $70 (I paid $30 for it earlier this year). I am deep into this '70's silver art bar hobby and my ebay hobby side business is my "second income".

22. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I bought a bunch of old '70's silver art bars last year and this year up to this point here here are a couple of '70's silver art bars that I bought during my "break" from GIM........

The 1st one is a cancelled die version of a 1973 Mother Lode Mint 1-oz "Coin Press" silver art bar. I paid $30 for it. I actually bought 2 of these for $30 each from an out-of-town coin shop. I sold one on ebay for $70. The one that I posted on this thread I plan to keep for myself.

The 2nd one is a 1978 World Wide Mint Anniston Federal Savings & Loan 1-oz silver art bar that I paid ~$18.30. I bought several of these for ~$18.30 each during one of my trips to Alabama earlier this year. I sold one on ebay for $50.00 recently. I have another one listed right now on ebay and I hope to get between $40-$50 for it. We will see. The one that I posted on this thread is the one that I plan to keep in my collection.

I plan to post more tomorrow since I have to go to work in a few minutes.

Attached Files:

23. stonedywankanobe

Artimus, really good to see your ok and still collecting art bars. Cool that your making loot off the dog!

andial, Silver Art and spinalcracker like this.
  24. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

If he's anything in real life like he is online, that's an understatement to the nth degree.
    ...and fixed yer post for ya. I hope you don't mind. lol

Glad to hear you're doing alright Art. Always liked your posts.

JayDubya, andial and Silver Art like this.
  25. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Welcome back Silver Art, you were missed! Nice to read about your success on fleabay with the art bars.

Silver Art likes this.
  26. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Yep. I am ok. I needed a break and I am happy that I am making money from selling some '70's silver art bars on ebay.

27. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I ended up selling these two bars last year. I got just over $120 for the Middlesboro Coca Cola bar and $110 for the Orangeburg Coca-Cola bar.

28. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Here are a few more of the many 1-oz '70's silver art bars that I bought in 2016/early 2017....................

DSCI1364.JPG DSCI1365.JPG DSCI1366.JPG DSCI1367.JPG DSCI1368.JPG DSCI1369.JPG

The 1st bar is a 10 Commandments silver art bar that was minted in 1973 by Great Lakes Mint. I paid $18.37 for it in December 2016 from a LCS.

The 2nd bar is an Easter 1976 silver art bar minted by United States Silver Corporation. I paid $18.00 for this bar in January 2016 at an out-of-town coin shop. I usually do not buy many holiday-themed bars but this one has a very low mintage of only 300 and has a high resale value online for a holiday-themed bar. I do not plan to sell this one. However, if I find a second one (not likely given the low mintage), then that 2nd one is fair game on ebay.

The 3rd bar is a Drovers Country silver art bar that was minted in Switzerland in 1973. I paid $19.21 for this bar last month at a LCS. This bar has somewhat of a decent resale value (between $30 - $50 on ebay) but the 1974 version of this bar has a higher resale value than this 1973 version does based on past ebay auctions and past sold BIN listings.

29. andial

Moar.

Silver Art likes this.
  30. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Your wish is my command..............................

I wanted to go ahead and post some more recent finds from last month at the LCS's. I have bought so many vintage silver art bars so far this year and a bunch last year, that I spent a while deciding what I was planning which ones to post here.

Here are some finds from a LCS from last month.....

1. 1973 Mother Lode Mint "Reno, Nev."

2. 1972 Madison Mint "The General"

3. 1973 Mount Everest Mint "Boston Tea Party"

These are very common bars and I paid only .999 generic premiums for them.

DSCI1362.JPG

DSCI1363.JPG

I paid $18.67 for the Reno, Nev and $18.67 for the General bar which was 50 cents over spot at the time of purchase. I paid $19.21 for the MEM Boston Tea Party bar which was $1.00 over spot at the time of purchase.

The following bar is, by far one of the best purchases for 2017...............

DSCI1364.JPG

DSCI1365.JPG

This is a Great House Productions silver art bar that was struck by World Wide Mint in 1974. Greathouse Productions bars are very hard to find and they have very low mintages. At an official listed mintage of 635, this has a relatively high mintage compared to the usual low mintages of between 100-300 for most Greathouse Productions bars. I usually do not find any Greathouse bars for only .999 generic silver bullion premiums but I paid $19.21 for this bar last month from a LCS. That was only $1.00 over spot at the time of purchase. These usually "retail" for between $100 - $175 on ebay. This one is a keeper for me. However, if I find another bar just like this during my future travels to coin shows and coin shops and flea markets, then I will sell that second one and keep this one that is pictured.

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  31. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Hey SA how are you, are you still seeing Blythe? LOL

Silver Art likes this.
  32. andial

I love that good times bar Artbarthur mebe is for sale I don't have much money.

stonedywankanobe and Silver Art like this.
  33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    That particular bar is not for sale, however, if I come across another "remembering the good times" bar like that, then I might decide to sell it. Greathouse Productions bars are very hard to find.

andial likes this.
  34. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Nope. I had to dump Blythe because she turned into a psycho bitch. I had to go to a judge to get a restraining order against her because she was threatening me and my '70's silver art bar collection.

southfork and andial like this.
  35. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Yah i figured she was after you for your silver bars, dam bitch.

Silver Art likes this.
  36. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hey SA,
    Good to see you.
    Was at a show and saw some bars going for north of 100 and thought of you.
    Regards,

gringott and Silver Art like this.
  37. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Yeah and here I thought she loved me for me but the red flags kept popping up whenever she mentioned "smelter" and talking about how wonderful the early 1980's "Big Melt" was for ridding the world of "ugly silver". However, the final straw that broke our relationship was when she expressed her distain for '70's silver art bars. That was when I realized that I had to make a decision of choosing between either '70's silver art bars or Blythe. The '70's silver art bar easily won that one and a result, Blythe's ass is out in the cold while my collection is enjoying the warmth and comfort of a loving home. :)

stonedywankanobe, andial and gringott like this.
  38. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I am not surprised at seeing certain old bar going for $100. I sold a few on ebay and got $100+ for certain ones. The collector market is strong for vintage bars and I wanted to take advantage of it by starting a ebay sideline business selling old bars to other collectors that are looking to add to their collections.

The interesting part of all of this is that I made more FRN profit by selling vintage silver bars (and other "collectible silver") on ebay in 2016 when spot was between $15-$17 than I did in 2011 when I sold silver art bars in March/April 2011 to a local dealer when spot was between $40 - $47.

2016 ended up being the best year ever as a silver art bar collector as a buyer AND as a seller on ebay. 2016 for me was even better than 2011, despite silver being a fraction of where it was in 2011. That blew my mind and that is why I am doing this as a sideline hobby business. I started selling silver art bar on ebay in May 2016 because I wanted to apply my knowledge of '70's silver art bars to generate a second income to buy either more old silver art bars or gold. It also made sense to start a sideline business selling '70's silver art bars on ebay because I continuously found the same bars (for only .999 generic silver premiums) that I already had when I go to coin shows and coin shops and I knew how much they could fetch on ebay.

When I go looking for old silver art bars, I do it "American Pickers" style (based on the History Channel TV shows called "American Pickers"). I love this silver art bar hobby a lot and my desire of this hobby is much stronger now than it was when I started collecting them in August 2008.

39. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    My 1st episode of the '70's silver art bar show hosted by yours truly:

^updated^, hammerhead, smooth and 4 others like this.
  40. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    2nd episode of the '70's silver art bar show: