1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

80% bone loss in gums. Anyway to fix this?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Cigarlover, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

The dentist wants to yank all my teeth and give me dentures. I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it..
    Crazy thing is before I moved to this state my teeth were very good. In 8 years they went from very good to litterally 80% bone loss??? Has to be something in the water.. Before I moved here I was on well water my entire life.. I knew as soon as I turned the faucet on the water was horrible here. Not even crazy about showering in it because of all the chlorine...

Anyway, seems to me bones heal in other parts of the body so why not the gums and bone that holds our teeth?

2. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Have you gotten a second opinion?

Could it be the cigars?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    GOLDZILLA likes this.
  3. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

It wouldn't hurt to get a second or third opinion. My experience with dentists is that most do not operate under the best set of ethics.

bb

Mujahideen, arminius, Silver and 5 others like this.
  4. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Can I ask how 80% bone loss was diagnosed?
    What does that even mean?
    Do you have osteoporosis?

TAEZZAR and JayDubya like this.
  5. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

If it is safe to wait, I would wait 6 months or longer before getting another opinion. In the meantime, you may want to try some of these suggestions, but DYODD:

1) Stop drinking any tap water. Buy a few jugs of distilled water for now. I prefer to make my own distilled water so I am sure that it is clean and pure. I use the distiller at the link below to make up to 4 gallons per day for a few days, and then clean the distiller and let it dry for a day to prevent any bacterial buildup. If you decide to get a water distiller (any brand), read the comments in the link below for good advice on how to use it best.
    https://www.amazon.com/Megahome-Countertop-Water-Distiller-Collection/dp/B00026F9F8/

2) Ramp up your vitamins D3 and calcium. I take 5,000 iu of D3 daily, and more (or increased exposure to sunshine) would probably not cause a problem. Citracal sounds like a good way to increase calcium. I also take a multi vitamin daily to replace any minerals that could be removed when passing distilled water.

3) I use a water jet irrigator daily before brushing to better remove food from my teeth.

Good luck with your dental problems.

6. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Kind of the same thing happened to me, except for me it was 6 months and I went from no dental problems to rapid gum recession etc to the point it almost killed me, twice. All in less than a year.

I have had a type of laser treatment to help the problem but I feel they have diagnosed it incorrectly. Therefore the treatments didn't help much. You may notice that the people in the dental field, much like all of the medical field, don't want input from the patient.
    Traditionally the problem is poor dental hygiene. Like your case, mine happened quick and there was no change in my dental hygiene that would cause such a rapid problem.

I drink only distilled water now. Also for cooking. I used to buy distilled water but I make it myself now and am happy with the process. Amazing what gets left behind in the distiller. It smells bad too. Glad I don't drink it.

As far as my teeth go, now they are fracturing [molars] and I am slowly replacing them with implants. I spoke to my dentist about this [fractures], and he was making me laugh, he said I have an extremely strong bite like an alligator and this has caused problems for my molars. I told him it was because I am a Neanderthal.

I wish you good luck with your teeth. I would for sure get another opinion if at all possible. Personally, I refuse to get dentures, I have two implants so far, and am looking at two more this year if possible. Yeah, expensive, but I am not going to have removable teeth.

7. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Add K2 in order to metabolize the D3

8. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    Do what I did.
    Invest in a good set of dentures.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

If you must get replacement, get implants instead. Also install a good whole house carbon filter and water softener. I am on city water, but the shower is luxuriously silky with no chlorine and bottled water quality out of every faucet. Cost is $1k and maintenance is minimal once dialed in.

http://apluswater.org/Carbon Filters.html

10. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

Tons of americans are traveling to Los Algodones, Mexico also known as Molar City (molarcity.com) for dental care at a fraction of the cost in the states, check it out. Never been there myself so can't make a judgement .

11. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

80% bone loss !!! Yikes, how are your teeth even staying in your mouth ??
    I think, with a statement like that, I would see another dentist for a second opinion.

When I lived in So. Cal., many moons ago, I went to Mexico for my dental work. It was 1/4 the price & I could not see a difference in quality. In fact, I had trouble with state side work & never any trouble with south of the border work.
    My son has been going south for his dental work lately, too.

12. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

At least put a good filter on the faucet you get your drinking water.
    I got some of the diluted Hydrogen Peroxide (3% +/-) and swished every other day.
    On my opposite days I swished and held in my mouth Electrically Isolated Silver / Colloidal Silver
    for about 2-3 minutes and then swallowed.

Cleared up my gum issues. Jus' Sayin'

Best Wishes

13. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I believe CL lives In So Ohio, would be a ways to travel to go to Mexico, just saying, not that it wouldn't make for a nice vacation, well except for the dental part. I live in So Ohio, but I'm on a well. I use a filter for my drinking water, all the same, but wife can not drink our well water because of the minerals in the water. Even run through my water filter or through one of those reverse osmosis filters. There is sulfur (turns to hydrogen-sulfide), in it that does not filter or really soften out completely that causes the issues for her, but doesn't bother anyone else in the family. The water filter I use, does seem to take out the odor of the H-S, but does not take out the actual minerals.

As for the dental work, if it were me, I'd get another opinion, but since about half of my teeth are gone and replaced by the VA by a bridge and partial any bone loss has been over several years of not having had routine dental upkeep and fillings when needed... I do have that one gold tooth (crown) I'm kinda attached to.

Cigarlover likes this.
  14. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    Kind of too late for a water filter. It's like closing the barn door after the horse got out.
    80% bone loss = 100% tooth loss.
    Dentures over implants is the way to go.
    Let that next s.o.b. pay for a water filter.

15. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Just saying this as a PSA.....most people “brush teeth” with the wrong idea in their mind.....you are not really brushing teeth and cleaning them....you are actually supposed to be brushing your gums in order to remove the nasties that lie their and between your gums and teeth....if you only focus on getting bristle to the crown of your tooth you will suffer periodontal disease which is largely irreversible....manageable but irreversible

16. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

And the roof of your mouth & your tongue !!! Kill the bacteria, it lives in the dirtiest orifice in your body ! Really !!!

Goldhedge likes this.
  17. Cigarlover

Thanks for all the replies...
    Yea one minute my teeth were ok and the next they are shit.. This is a 2nd opinion. The first opinion I got 3 years ago and they said that I should do it immediately.. They wanted 40k so I said no.

Now I went to affordable dentures and they say the same thing.. Cant do implants because I smoke and they want me to quit smoking and let my gums heal.. Not sure if that would be the case in mexico as well or not..
    In Mx the same 40k implants are only 10k.. Yea there's that much profit built into the plan here..
    What I am hoping was for someone to tell me the bone can regrow itself.. Do we just look at dental in a different way than we do the rest of the body?
    If I do go with the removable dentures can I still do implants in the future in Mx down the road?

18. TAEZZAR

Cigarlover, I am suffering from a new & completely different problem, hip & knee replacement. I went to the internet looking for info & did well. Getting old is the shits BUT it beats the alternative. For now !!! LOLOLOL
    Have you tried that yet?

Cigarlover and gringott like this.
  19. nickndfl

If you are locked into dentures, then I would go for the ones Jaws wore. Just think of all of the stories you could tell to your grandchildren and how you saved the empire.

Attached Files:

Cigarlover likes this.
  20. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Rus is so right. I believe that is what caused my mother to lose all her teeth eventually. She'd brush after every meal, before she went to bed, and when she woke up in the morning. Yet still lost all her teeth.

This was also my problem for the first 40 some years of my life with gingivitis issues.
    Finally one visit to my dentist I had a Dental Intern ( working on her DDM) clean my teeth for my regular dentist to do his exam. She told me " I see your brushing your teeth your crowns and grinding surfaces look good, but your gums are a mess. Do Not brush your teeth. You need to be brushing your gums, just a light tickle of the gums at the bottom of your teeth inside and out. That motion will get the rest of your tooth surfaces good while you brush".

Changing up my brushing technique and eventually adding a 45 sec. - 1 min swish with H2O2, spit and water rinse 2-3 times a week caused my gingivitis issues to go away.
    Later I added the EIS/CS to help kill / reduce the potential bacteria growth while the other days the H2O2 would chemically scrub any potential plaque build up away.

I go for a check-up Wednesday. I'll report back.
    This is coming from a guy who lost 8 teeth by ignoring his Wisdom Teeth which eventually pushed the e molar in front of each out of their sockets.
    Lesson learned, I had my kids get theirs' Wisdoms removed in their high school years, as soon as Doc. said it's time.

Cigarlover and TAEZZAR like this.
  21. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    OK,

Definitely not an expert on teeth, but I do know a bit about chemical elements.

1. Chlorine is deadly in so many ways, as is fluoride, and both are added to municipal water supplies.

2. CS - Colloidal Silver will counter-act and flush both chlorine and fluoride poisoning.

3. The best source of assimilable Calcium is black sesame seeds; exponentially better than pills or dairy.

4. The best source for vitamin D is sun exposure

5. The best way to assimilate vitamin D from the sun is to consume vitamin A.

6. The best sources for vitamin A are spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, Kale, broccoli and even liver.

7. The best methods for expelling heavy metal toxicity are Cilantro consumption and foot baths in warm RO or distilled water.

Finally, bone loss is exacerbated by physical inactivity, so get outside in the fresh air and exercise.

If you absolutely MUST smoke, then puff the magic dragon instead of tobacco. Seriously better for your health.

22. TAEZZAR

YUP

23. gringott

N/A
    Lots of good information here.
    I looked into getting implants in Poland, the problem is it is not a one step process, they check you out, then they do the post, then it has to heal before they put on the fake tooth. Much time. It would mean I would have to hang around Poland to complete the process, or fly twice, which kills the savings.

I don't understand how the Mexico thing works. Unless you are hanging around there, it would mean two trips I would think. My implant guy here would not do too many teeth at once, and he certainly can't do the entire process at once.

I also think about "if something goes wrong" where are you at? You got the job done in another country, something goes wrong, now you either fly back there muy rapido or you try to get someone here to treat you. As a person who almost died, twice, over bad dental care, well, I weigh the risks and I will just pay the rate here. I know where they live and I also trust them for follow up etc.

I am not joking when I say I almost died twice. The infection was heading to my heart. I was in intensive care for about 10 days. The oral surgeon was extremely pissed off at the dentists that allowed my situation to get so bad. My niece is a dentist in Chicago, at the time she had been out of school for about 2 years, when I spoke to her from the hospital she said that it sounded like I got dental care from the stone age.

Anyway, that is why I am extremely cautious about this process. I have my teeth cleaned and inspected 4 times a year, at my regular dentist, next at the Periodontist, next back at the dentist, then again at the Periodontist. Progress or lack of it is tracked and they communicate with each other. Deterioration has been stopped, but recovery is slow. There has been improvement. But my dang teeth keep breaking!

Cigarlover likes this.
  24. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    Teeth and infections are no joke....that is why prior to most dental procedures you will likely get a round of antibiotics....even a minor infection you are unaware of can be deadly once they cut into your mouth

25. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    If eyes are the window to the soul.....then teeth are the door way to good health....do you know of anyone with bad teeth that does not have some kind of health issue??

26. nickndfl

Somebody should invent mouthwash with colloidal silver.

Cigarlover, TAEZZAR and gringott like this.
  27. gringott

N/A
    A guy I worked with had horrible teeth, green, etc. He was about 58 or so at the time. He had a serious heart attack.
    They saved him but the doctors demanded he get his teeth fixed. It seems there is a direct relationship with dental health and possible heart problems.

28. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Aurumag said vaping is better. I agree 100%, it is far better for your lungs and circulatory health. Not so much for the dental aspect. The polypropylene glycol is a drying agent. A dry mouth isn't healthy. Had to give up vaping recently due to bleeding gums and they did cease to bleed when I gave up the vape. It took several years of vaping for this to become problematic for me but, considering the problems you are already facing the effect might be immediate.

Advantages to vaping if you go for broke and do it 100%
    You'll soon learn to hate the smell of smoke and never want to go back.
    Overall health improves quickly.
    You no longer stink
    Even if you do go back to smoking you will see how fast your health declines and make a healthier choice.
    No vice taxes paid and $50 worth of juice should easily last a month

Disadvantages
    Still a stigma surrounding the use of a "douche flute".
    Dries the mouth
    Still paying for a stupid addiction, just far less
    Purchase a quality rig or the sticky juice gets all over the place.

When I had my neck fused I basically signed a contract promising to give up nicotine. The reason being that the use of tobacco greatly reduces the chance of success during the healing phase which includes bone growing between the vertebra. I continued to vape through the entire process against all good common sense. In the end the doctor was quite satisfied with the amount of time it took for the bone to start growing back, he never knew I continued to vape. I'm pretty sure that if I were still using traditional tobacco products the doctor would have been less than impressed.

Cigarlover and gringott like this.
  29. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

Doctors and dentists opinions are fairly uniform, they all go to the same indoctrination camps and learn that the only cures are pills and surgery. The only difference between them is personal integrity. But even integrity is worth little when one is brainwashed with falsehoods.
    Nutrition and habits.

30. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    No sense in just throwing dr and dentists under the bus....most all of humanity lacks personal integrity and will try to get over on you for a buck at the drop of a hat.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  31. hoarder

Read my post again. I wouldn't throw any profession under the bus because many or most lack integrity. I throw Doctors/Dentists under the bus because their training is wrong. Most Dentists still implant mercury and palladium in their patients mouths, tell them fluoride is good and do root canals which lead to worse problems because that's what they have been brainwashed with. Going to another Dentist who has had the same training is not going to yield a better opinion.

Lt Dan and Cigarlover like this.
  32. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    This tooth was bothering me for about a year.
    I finally got the bugger out.
    Rinse with warm salt water and peroxide and I think I will buy a piece of gold with the money I saved...

1230171840.jpg

Cigarlover likes this.
  33. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    All of the dentists I have seen in the last decade have never used Hg or Pd fillings...all ceramic...In fact the one Hg filling I had put in 15 years ago was removed by a more recent dentist 5 years ago because his worries about Hg fillings.

I am always amazed at the advice given about how bad Drs and Dentists are and that the Monday morning QBs have alternative answers that basically upend the dental and medical profession, yet they never market this magically knowledge in our capitalist society that would surely make them rich beyond their wildest dreams if in fact their sage wisdom was a cure all panacea.

34. GOLDBRIX

They can not because the FDA and EPA consider CS a pesticide.

You can make your own:
    BUY Retail CS - Sovereign Silver or MesoSilver or any number of retail products. If it were me I'd put an ounce of CS into a bottle of mouthwash you like and shake it up. FYI - Us DIYers make a whole lot of EIS/CS very cheaply ( pennies per ounce) than retail productions ( Dollars Per ounce).

Personally I think the more effective method would be an ounce or less of CS in your mouth (after using mouthwash) and hold it there swishing around for a minute or two ( making sure you get alot under your tongue - sublingual absorption).
    Then swallow the rest.

This is what I'd do. I am NOT telling you medical advice as "I R KNOT 1". :-0

gringott, Cigarlover and Weatherman like this.
  35. TAEZZAR

My best friend's daughter almost died 30 years ago , at 16 years old, from a dental procedure where it became infected & travelled to her heart. She had to have a valve replaced. This was about the time they were "discovering" the connection between teeth & heart !

hoarder, Cigarlover and gringott like this.
  36. hoarder

We don't have a Capitalist society and those who have the marketing capacity are on the side of big pharma (mass media, Hollywood, academia. IOW all the same entities who never tell the secrets of the Federal Reserve.). Besides, how do you patent nutrition and the avoidance of heavy metals?

gringott likes this.
  37. Cigarlover

I dont think inactivity is my problem. Just finished cutting and splitting and moving and stacking 2 cord of wood in the last couple weeks. I have gardens in the summer and 150 fig trees in containers that get moved out in the spring and into storage in the fall. Lots of work and lots of time spent outdoors with plenty of sun exposure. Probably more than 90% of the population in the US.

Not brushing my gums is a definite possibility. That and a shitty diet and never going to the dentist.

Bushpilot, gringott and Lt Dan like this.
  38. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    The surprising link between periodontal disease and heart health: What dental professionals need to know
    January 30, 2017
    By Robert H. Gregg II, DDS

Researchers have found that people with periodontal disease are almost twice as likely to have heart disease, and that risk may be even greater than for those with high cholesterol. Find out what you can do in your practice to help educate patients about the oral-systemic connection and ultimately help save lives.

Can your mouth tell if you’re at risk for heart disease? It just may! Researchers have found that people with periodontal disease are almost twice as likely to have heart disease. (1) A recent analysis shows that the potential heart disease risk for patients with periodontal disease may be even greater than for those with high cholesterol. (2) For too many Americans, this reality hits close to home in that more than 85 million Americans have some form of cardiovascular disease (CVD) (3), while more than 200 million American adults have some form of periodontal disease. (4)

February is both Heart Health Month and Gum Disease Awareness Month
    Given the link between these two systemic diseases, the dental profession can be considered a key assessor of not just oral health, but also heart health. Can we help save the 800,000 Americans who die from CVD annually? (1) Or can we help the 795,000 people who have a stroke in the United States annually? (5) The first step is helping the general population understand how these chronic diseases may be related.

READ MORE | Periodontitis and its association with type 2 diabetes

Understanding the link between periodontal disease and heart disease: The suspected role of bacteria and inflammation

Scientists suspect the link between the two diseases is due to the same bacteria. In this scenario, bacteria found in infected gum tissue around teeth break down the barrier between the gums and the underlying connective tissue, causing inflammation. During normal chewing or brushing, bacteria can enter the bloodstream and move to other parts of the circulatory system, contributing to the formation of cardiovascular disease.

Inflammation, or swelling, is the body’s natural response to infection. It is possible that as oral bacteria travel through the body it triggers a similar response, which then leads to the formation of arterial plaque. (6) Oral bacteria have been found in the fatty deposits of people with atherosclerosis. (7) These deposits can narrow arteries or break loose and clog them entirely, leading to heart attack or stroke.

While scientists are still researching whether inflammation is at the root of the problem, one thing is for sure: It is firmly established that a link exists between periodontal disease and heart disease.

[​IMG]

Treating periodontal disease: Helping patients’ total health
    Given the link between periodontal disease and heart health—not to mention tooth loss and the multitude of other systemic diseases linked to periodontitis—it is important for patients to accept effective treatment. Treatment itself is not enough; treatment must be successful to have an impact. (8)

The first step in effective treatment is diagnosis. Is your hygiene team actively looking for the disease? Do you have a proper probing protocol in place? Patients often don’t understand, or simply ignore, the warning markers of periodontal disease, so it is imperative that your office has the tools in place to inform patients. Initial symptoms of periodontal disease are often silent—i.e., symptoms do not actually appear until later stages.

The American Academy of Periodontology lists the signs of periodontal disease as the following: (9)
    • Red, swollen, or tender gums or other pain in the mouth
    • Bleeding while brushing, flossing, or eating hard food
    • Gums that are receding or pulling away from the teeth, causing the teeth to look longer than before
    • Loose or separating teeth
    • Pus between the gums and teeth
    • Sores in the mouth
    • Persistent bad breath
    • A change in the way the teeth fit together when one bites down
    • A change in the fit of partial dentures
    A patient-friendly, less-invasive treatment for periodontal disease
    Even with a prompt diagnosis, patients often refuse surgical treatment—including flap surgery, soft-tissue grafts, bone grafting, guided tissue regeneration, and the application of enamel matrix derivative—out of fear or misunderstanding. (10) The way to repair damage caused by periodontal disease is to get rid of the infection and close up the pockets. Until recently that meant painful scraping and scalpel-and-suture surgery. How can we reach past inherent fear and help patients understand the importance of treatment that is imperative to total health? Today, many general dentists and periodontists offer a patient-friendly, less-invasive laser procedure—the LANAP protocol—as another option for effective treatment that helps alleviate patient fear.

As a profession, we can help educate patients about the oral-systemic connection by looking for early symptoms of periodontal disease and offering minimally invasive treatment options that patients will accept. Every 40 seconds an American adult has a stroke. (11) Could you help save a life today?

References
    1. Fehrenbach MJ, Herring SW. Illustrated Anatomy of the Head and Neck. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2012:127-151.
    2. Mathews MJ, Mathews EH, Mathews GE. Oral health and coronary heart disease. BMC Oral Health. 2016;16(1):122. Published online November 15, 2016. doi: 10.1186/s12903-016-0316-7.
    3. Writing group members, Mozaffarian D, Benjamin EJ et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2016 update: A report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016;133(4):e38-e360. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000350.
    4. Li Y, Lee S, Hujoel P et al. Prevalence and severity of gingivitis in American adults. Am J Dent. 2010;23(1):9-13.
    5. Stroke facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/stroke/facts.htm. Updated March 24, 2015. Accessed January 17, 2017.
    6. Freire MO, Van Dyke TE. The mechanisms behind oral-systemic interactions. In: Glick M, ed. The Oral-Systemic Health Connection: A Guide to Patient Care. Chicago, IL: Quintessence; 2014:Chapter 5, 103-119.
    7. Leishman SJ, Do HL, Ford PJ. Cardiovascular disease and the role of oral bacteria. J Oral Microbiol. 2010; 2. doi: 10.3402/jom.v2i0.5781.
    8. Jeffcoat M, Parry S, Sammel M, Clothier B, Catlin A, Macones G. Periodontal infection and preterm birth: successful periodontal therapy reduces the risk of preterm birth. BJOG. 2011;118(2):250-256. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2010.02713.x.
    9. Gum disease symptoms. American Academy of Periodontology. https://www.perio.org/consumer/gum-disease-symptoms.htm. Accessed January 17, 2017.
    10. Mayo Clinic staff. Diseases and conditions. Periodontitis. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/periodontitis/basics/definition/con-20021679. Published February 4, 2014. Accessed January 18, 2017.
    11. Impact of stroke (stroke statistics). American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. http://www.strokeassociation.org/ST...roke-Stroke-statistics_UCM_310728_Article.jsp. Updated June 6, 2016. Accessed January 17, 2017.

This article first appeared in the newsletter, DE's Breakthrough Clinical with Stacey Simmons, DDS

39. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    I know a guy who had open heart surgery.

Before he gets his teeth cleaned or worked on he has to take a load of anti-biotics.

Get yourself an ultrasonic toothbrush and brush your gums religiously - even if you're not...

Floss (even though the government studies say it does nothing) every meal.

gringott, hammerhead and GOLDBRIX like this.
  40. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Dentists have massive conflicts of interest that other medical professionals do not have. They may be taught the same things, that I agree with. But, most dentists start out they can have $100 - 200K+ of debt. Unlike other medical professionals, many of them start out with their own private practice which includes expensive machines and expensive overhead.

You can bet if someone comes in and they think there is even a tiny chance you could possibly need a procedure, they will push it, especially if they need the money to make the big debt payments.

My front tooth was chipped in an accident as a child. You can barely see it. If I mention it to people, they have to look a few times to see what I am talking about. My childhood dentist recommended filling it and did so, but it needed to be reapplied. Twice a year they would drill and fill until I complained that if they kept doing it I would have no tooth. Their answer was I could get a crown then.

On another dentist, he did X-Rays and found a little pin prick he said was a cavity. He wanted to drill of course. I asked how he even knew where to drill it was so small? I left that dentist and saw a few additional dentists later along with x-rays. That pinprick never showed up again. None of the subsequent dentists could find it.

My last dentist I stopped seeing because he required I have x-rays every 2 years. I wonder why? I told him I don't do radiation unless it is necessary. He told me that was required of his patients, so I said goodbye.

bb

edsl48 and hoarder like this.