1. Potus out of town, all is pretty quiet for now
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Mon Morning! Gold catches a bid +2.7 to 1256, while Silver is +16 to 1696. Crude still moving up 48 to 5115. The USD is down 6 and breaks 97, 9696.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

A new 40-year-old Mountain House taste test.

Discussion in 'S & P Products Ratings/Reviews' started by mayhem, May 2, 2017.

1. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Joel, a hermit living in the high desert of AZ does a review of some Mountain House.
    http://joelsgulch.com/a-new-40-year-old-mountain-house-taste-test/

Mesdames, Messieurs, bonsoir! Our entrée for today is…

[​IMG]
    Now, I’ll be totally honest with you – I don’t even know what Shrimp Creole is. So I looked it up…

Shrimp creole is a dish of Louisiana Creole origin, consisting of cooked shrimp in a mixture of whole or diced tomatoes, the Holy trinity of onion, celery and bell pepper, spiced with hot pepper sauce and/or cayenne-based seasoning, and served over steamed or boiled white rice

Okay, so this stuff is eaten with rice. Makes sense, anybody interested in storing long-term food will certainly have a sack of rice or ten.

The can was very sparsely flecked with rust and – like both its predecessors, clearly inflated with some internal pressure. That’s just as it should be, it says right on the can that it’s packed in nitrogen. Cut open the top…

[​IMG]
    And we see that things have ossified into chunks, just like the spaghetti and the stew did. It just wants some manual breaking up of the chunks before you measure it out.

During which process you learn that Mountain House Shrimp Creole really does contain tiny mummified shrimp, and not just a few.

[​IMG]
    …which is kind of off-putting under the circumstances. I don’t mind trying 40-year-old freeze-dried beef. But seafood? Hm.

This is already-cooked and freeze-dried quicky food, so the “recipe” is simple: One cup hot water to 1.25 cups dry mix. The result is soupy at first…

[​IMG]
    Between five and ten minutes later…

[​IMG]
    And we dig in. Rather gingerly at first.

Honestly, this stuff is delicious! Once I grow to trust its effect on my digestion – and the jury’s still out on that – I might go so far as delightful. As with the vegetable stew, whatever process they used for preservation left the flavor in the mix. I don’t know how vivid the tastes would have been if the cans were only, say, a decade old but it’s quite acceptable as it is. I really can see eating this over rice, though you might want to spice it up a bit.

I only ate about 3/4 of a bowl and gave the rest to LB, because even though there was no “off” taste or immediate bad result and I’m only being excessively cautious, I still don’t entirely trust the shrimp. But once I’ve settled my mind about that, Shrimp Creole is going to be a favorite while it lasts. It’s better than the vegetable stew (which suffers from all that corn starch really not aging all that gracefully) and way better than the spaghetti.

LB gives it two paws up. (LB is Joels dog)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    birddog and Ebie like this.