1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

AFTER THE INTERVIEW - what's appropriate?

Discussion in 'Job Listings-Requests-Discussions' started by JustPassinThru, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Gold Member Gold Chaser

Here's the backstory:

I had interviewed for a GREAT job with a company a thousand miles away. I'm fully qualified for the position; I have twenty years' experience in the biz. They were serious about their interest - they PAID my way over there, and put me up in a four-star hotel for two nights.

They also, after the interview, had me get a Company Physical and (required by law for this position) a drug screen. NO CHANCE I failed that.

I was told they couldn't give formal approval until the results of the drug screen came through. I was told to anticipate a call on Wednesday.

Wednesday came and went.

I sent them a thank-you email. No response - and it's the correct email addy; it's the one all correspondence has gone through.

The thing of it is, the timeframe is TIGHT. They want me in their city ready to start on March 17. So I have a LOT of work to do to get rolling. No going back and packing out for 180 days after I start.

At what point is a telephone call in order? I don't want to seem pushy or gauche but I can't waste time like this, either. So...in this day and age, is a phone call asking "What the fµck?" considered bad form?

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I wouldn't push it. Most of these managers are doing the jobs of two or three people and are just operating from behind all the time. Maybe the start date got pushed back to April 1st too.

3. WhyKnow

WhyKnow Thnk Tank Gold Chaser

If they want you, they'll get you.
    Or, you can find them on facebook, email, phone, mail, etc.
    Like nick said, they're timeline might have changed. Good luck!

4. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Not to burst your bubble, but flying prospects out for an interview is pretty common in some fields. My niece was flown 3,000 miles for an interview on their dime. It's just a job search expense, like an ad for them.

Good luck.

5. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

Don't email.
    Send a letter, or, fax saying you enjoyed the interview.
    No need to push, they will know what you want.

6. mph275

mph275 Seeker Seeker

It may be hung up with HR... the managers may have already decided. It wouldn't hurt to send their HR folk a friendly email inquiring about the status.

7. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

JustPassinThru, when you said Wednesday I assume that was yesterday? Maybe they haven't decided yet or maybe the person from HR that is suppose to contact you is out sick the past couple of days? Many reasons why they might not have contacted you yet. Still seems a little strange that they haven't responded to anything. If I was you, I would wait until Monday and give them a call. You seem to have done all the basics first. But it can be a fine line between being excited about the opportunity and seeming too needy. You want to let them know you want the job, but not come across as desperate. Only you can decide how much interest to show and how much attempted contact. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. :thumbs_up:

8. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Call and keep calling, badger the .... Out of them......some else is.

9. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

THIS...but do it in a nice way. Apply those Carnegie strategies. Remember:

1) The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also, if you are persistent, it will show that you are a go-getter.
    2) 90% of the time, it's not what you ask but how you ask it. I would do the call, let them you you know they are busy and are looking forward to the opportunity, but since you haven't heard back any definites yet, you are wondering about when you need to make plans to be there.

In my current position for 14 years Saturday. When I interviewed, it went well and I also had the impression I'd be hired. A week or so came and went and then I started badgering them for the job. They finally gave in and hired me. Believe it or not one of the owners was hesitant b/c she wasn't sure a man could do the job. LOL. My persistence paid off.

10. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

whatever you do, maintain good relations. some brother in law deal might have got the job -- and you could be next in line when a spot opens up

historyrepete and Usury like this.
  11. Usury

THIS too....which is why I said use the Carnegie skills. I remember once I was passed over for a job, but kept a positive attitude and thanked them for the opportunity. They called me back the next week to tell me they decided to hire 2 people and I was in.

WhyKnow likes this.
  12. JustPassinThru

It's not a brother-in-law deal. They're hiring many bodies.

This isn't a professional level - it's a skilled craft. I'm a locomotive engineer by trade; picked the wrong time (2008) to start job-hopping. Status-wise, it's along the lines of a specialized equipment operator. FRA certification is required; and a candidate that has it already has saved a lot of time and paperwork for the hiring railroad

Flying people about for interviews may be commonplace for front-office candidates, but it's unheard of in the transportation biz. In the past, you got your duff down to where they wanted, or you didn't want the job. Today, some carriers will interview with Skype.

This is a high-paying outfit; they do things differently. It's a major regional carrier and don't try to guess which one. I won't confirm it.

I've decided I'll wait out tomorrow and then start to smile and dial, jing-a-ling, on Monday morning.

13. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Call them. Be aggressive -- initiate the conversation. You are a "salesman" and you are selling yourself. You have to go for the close. Be pro-active, not reactive. And when you call them be pleasant, upbeat, and polite.

I've even called back on rejection letters (and in one case I backed the interviewer into a corner -- cordially, of course). Companies want leaders not wussies.

I know GIMmers are mostly introverts, but this is the time to be an extrovert.

There is a saying, "Timid salesmen have hungry kids."

14. Publico

Publico Banned

Do a Kramer and just start showing up for work.

It makes it harder for them to fire you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  15. JustPassinThru

A little too late, Publico - for better or worse, I'm in with them.

A move across country; a new job, new town, new state. New income and new bills.

Piggybank and gringott like this.
  16. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Here are a few observations:

HR and the whole HR culture is batscat crazy. It's ineffective and ineffecient, full of nonsensical theories.
    I hate 'we'll call you and let you know' because a majority of the time they are lying or too lazy to follow through.

If HR is designed to find the best candidate it is a collosal failure. We have a company in town who has a shadow policy of never hiring someone who shows up with a bowtie. How deep.

I look at the idiocy and rudeness of an HR department as a reflection of the company. They are under no obligation to hire me and I have no obligation to work for them but during this feeling out time if they lie to me, ignore me, or exhibit any other assinine and rude behavior then that is a company I don't want to work for.

Just my opinion but their failure to follow through is either a lack of follow through or some 'test' to see how you react. But don't for a minute think it reflects on you. You have to choose whether it's worth it to go through mind games and/or a disorganized, incompetent HR dept to get there.

17. Usury

You think HR is there to hire staff??? ROFLMAO.....that's rich. HR is there to keep the company out of court from lawsuits and/or regulatory fines. http://www.strategichrinc.com/hrlaw.htm Here's a short list of various HR laws and regulations that an HR manager has to navigate in addition to assisting with finding and hiring new staff, annual reviews, disciplinary action, terminations, training, insurance, taxes, advice and counseling.

Also, just my opinion, but I can't help but think that your attitude regarding the "interview" process reflects on your people skills...you might want to work on those. The world is what it is...so make sure you can make the most of it for YOU. That's my 2 cents.