1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

AI. It is coming, like it or not.

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by <SLV>, Oct 18, 2017.

1. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Google, Facebook, Tesla, Apple, Microsoft -- all of them are investing heavily in AI (machine learning) technology.

Then this today: https://gizmodo.com/stunning-ai-breakthrough-takes-us-one-step-closer-to-th-1819650084

Add in quantum computing...

Google -- https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-googles-quantum-computer-could-change-the-world-1508158847

Intel -- http://indianexpress.com/article/te...tum-computing-progress-with-new-chip-4896602/

Microsoft -- https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/25/microsoft-places-its-bets-on-quantum-computing/

... and, (pardon the pun) anything is possible.

Imagine when these self-taught quantum computers download the entire internet. Imagine when they know all of your personal interaction on social media, your relationship to others, your financial transactions, your browsing habits, your beliefs, values and biases...

AI is already here. It is not expanding linearly -- it is growing exponentially.

If someone controlled a computer that knew EVERYTHING about EVERYONE, what could that person do? Anything he wanted to. Who could resist him? Nobody.

I'll go one step past this scary thought. Everyone has been talking about "the internet of things" for some time. I imagine a time (in the not-so-distant future) where the human mind is directly connected to the internet without needing interface devices (besides the requisite implant). In this case, the internet would be instantly accessible to your consciousness, and your consciousness would be an open book to those who hold the keys to the internet. Now throw in AI and quantum computing. Humanity would be inescapably enslaved. Game Over.

Uncle, Aurumag and Bottom Feeder like this.
  2. <SLV>

When I think about this I realize that the Amish might be right. The only way to survive in the future will be to go completely off-grid (and off-internet/mobile phones). Maybe it is too late. Maybe the data that I have shared has already given them enough information about me to make it impossible for me to escape them.

3. <SLV>

What happens when the Self Aware Internet Quantum Overlord has your DNA? Has everyone's DNA?

4. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired

gringott and michael59 like this.
  5. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

As long as we don't allow AI to network with other AI, we should be ok. Once they start talking...forget about it. Skynet.

6. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    EMP

Silver, Flight2gold, Uncle and 2 others like this.
  7. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer If I weren't a snowflake, I'd have no luck at all Silver Miner

SLV,
    I had an interesting conversation with a person who runs a lab that does routine blood samples, the primary tests from normal physicals. So they were talking about how they have to follow all these rules about discarding the extra blood from samples. Anyway, my gim2 trained mind asks, "extra blood?"..... sure they always draw extra to be sure to have enough to be able to run tests multiple times in case there is problem during testing. So I ask, is there enough left to do dna testing? The reply was that is not in our scope but based on there understand there almost certainly is......

michael59 and Lt Dan like this.
  8. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    "The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

Mujahideen and OverOver like this.
  9. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

So, the uni-b0mber was correct, eh?

mtnman, Mujahideen and Bottom Feeder like this.
  10. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

If you guys read more science fiction you'd know how it comes out. Try some of Fred Saberhagen's writing. Stories like Berserker Kill, pub 1993

BF

11. <SLV>

I don't think it will get out of mankind's control. The problem will be which man controls it.

Aurumag and OverOver like this.
  12. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Spot on. So what could we possibly do to draw attention to the truth he didn't? Mankind is toast.

Mujahideen and mayhem like this.
  13. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Does that mean we will get more and better sex robots?

FthePolice and gringott like this.
  14. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Does not even require much at all, none if they have a hair or silva sample.

15. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    And, I thought AI was artificial insemination.

pitw, Flight2gold and mtnman like this.
  16. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

When I was in the military, they took a drop of blood from our fingers and soaked it into a cardboard sheet with our name, SSN, and some other basic information. The drop was maybe 1/5" across...smaller than a pea. The purpose of the card was to have a DNA sample on file for identification purposes.

Lt Dan likes this.
  17. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    dam, at Balboa Navel Hospital There was this nurse that stuck her finger....um see this thread:http://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/see-uranus-with-your-naked-eye-this-week.160324/#post-1264045

nothing sexy folks...there was a reason I was there. and, no U freaks I did not like it....*runs away*

Goldhedge likes this.
  18. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

piss off
    machines know shit

tell me, what EXACTLY DOES Fuck Off mean?

LOL
    You going to want me to believe machines know that?
    Oh yeah, in that case, I Win!

:2 thumbs up:

19. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

<SLV> likes this.
  20. BarnacleBob

21. <SLV>

22. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Concerned about AI? Robots taking your job? Sexbots stealing your wives? Stealing you with 3D printed babies?

The following article is worth the read though the title may seem totally unrelated. Enjoy!

Stories developed to 'deal with complexity'
    Richard Fernandez
    PJ Media
    Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:25 UTC

[​IMG]
    © AP Photo/Ashwini Bhatia
    Jordan Peterson, author of Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, argues people through centuries developed stories to deal with complexity in order to make action in the big, mysterious and dangerous world tractable. These stories were of three general types . Some simplified the known world and explained the individual's place in a complex society; others set out the relationship with the unknown, enabling us to face it without undue fear; and some provided a link between the known and the unknown.

Thus equipped man met challenge after challenge. Stories, myth and meaning served not to provide final truth but enough truth to enable mankind to write his next chapter. The species staggered through history like a kind of Scheherazade, making up stories that were hopefully, each a little bit truer than the last. Peterson writes:
    If it is impossible to perceive the world, how do we do it? The simple answer is that we don't. We sense it well enough so that some live long enough to reproduce. We maintain our integrity, momentarily, while the complexity of the world swirls around us ... thus, no solution to the problem of perception is final. ... The price paid for this, however, is endless deadly failure. Most genes do not propagate themselves across the generations. The best laid plans fail, and most species go extinct. Given that myth had played such an important role in human survival it was surprising that Western civilization decided to do without stories in the 2nd half of the 20th century. Religion and traditional values were replaced by an ethos "broadly characterized by tendencies to epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, irreverence and self-referentiality". The idea was the "stories" were no longer needed because the brass ring -- some called it the technological singularity -- was within reach. There was no more need for mental crutches.

That vaulting ambition seemed attainable on the face of it. In 1999 civilization seemed at the End of History. It felt safe; 54 years had passed since the last atomic bomb had been dropped. September 11 was unimaginable. The Internet was anonymous. Technology was our friend. The world's biggest worry was the Y2K bug. Confidence was high. It was as if men had finally become gods, the masters of the known or the soon to be discovered. With humanity perched atop Olympus what further need for stories?

But in 17 years since the situation has markedly changed. Now it is clear technology is not always the benign source of controllable benefit it was once assumed to be. Confidence in political institutions is at a low because unintended consequences keep raising their head: nuclear proliferation, airplanes crashing into buildings are but a few and no one has any answers to them. Even the Washington Post reported that the greatest risks to human survival in the 21st century would come from technology itself?

That threat is sure to grow as technology becomes ever more central to the way we live, changes the way we interact, communicate, and our very genetic make-up. Through its complex and multifaceted interactions, human technology is creating emergent events in unpredictable ways. Just as no one could have imagined the invention of texting would increase the risk of a car crash 23-fold, no one can predict the impact of a chaotic technological system on a civilization continuously perturbing itself.

Technology will become part of the weather as the winds and waves now are, occasionally giving humanity a clear stretch but at other times afflicting it with catastrophes which arise seemingly out of the completely harmless, the way hurricanes can follow a bright day. In any case the the optimism and feeling of godhood and control that characterized the end of the 20th century has gone without giving notice of when it will return.

The recent decline of trust in global institutions is a reflection of the fact that governments, gatekeepers and experts really have lost control over immigration, fertility, technology, nuclear weapons and their populations sense this. The global population isn't imagining things. They feel the actual impotence of the new gods.

Counter-intuitively 21st man may be as helpless before these giant technological storms as his pre-industrial ancestors were before gales in the age of sail. He may be more helpless if Jordan Peterson is to be believed, for unlike the seamen of former days the sailors on today's seas have no "stories" -- just cell phones full of fake news -- to bear them up.

Perhaps no one came so close to stumbling over the roots of the populist revolt as Hillary Clinton did in her famous "deplorables" speech. Clinton came within an ace of realizing that there was a whole swathe of the population looking for their missing myth; the lost seeking their once secure place in the world, the dismayed trying to recover their niche in eternity -- or at all events trying to rejoin the parade of mankind -- and she eventually threw the insight away. But for a brief moment she held it, regarded it with disdain and went on to give a forgettable speech promising government programs which neither she nor anyone could deliver. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now how 11 million. ...

They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well. She held the key and she lost it. What Western civilization is going through today is a crisis of myth; a story crisis. Of course MAGA is just another slogan not the actual answer, but then nothing is. "If it is impossible to perceive the world, how do we do it? The simple answer is that we don't. We sense it well enough so that some live long enough to reproduce. We maintain our integrity, momentarily, while the complexity of the world swirls around us".

Maybe it's hopeless, but by rights the universe shouldn't exist or so cosmologists tell us. Still whatever we do, it isn't aborting our progeny, disdaining our culture, or casting out the ashes of our fathers and burning down the temples of our gods. Instead we hope and live to fight another day. That's what stories are for.

23. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I have just concluded watching the "Real Humans" Swedish TV Series [2 seasons of 10 episodes each] for the second time, after acquiring a 1080p version.
    Since that show came out there is a UK version called "Humans" that IMHO is not as good.
    The series explores issues about how robots [androids] are treated, what it means to be human vs. machine intelligence, if you have perfect reproduction of human appearance are you human, what rights do androids have, why have as human lover when you can have a perfect robot lover?

However, looking beyond the surface science fiction story, there seems to be a lot of commentary about Sweden and what it means to be Swedish and is it all ok if the "natural Swedes" are replaced by migrants of different races and cultures.

I enjoyed it more during the second viewing and feel I got more out of it from a philosophical angle.

You have to be able to deal with subtitles or understand Swedish.

Here's a trailer:

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180271/

24. dacrunch

dacrunch Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

I read & watch a lot of Science Fiction.
    When the "machines" are "smarter than us", and see the "waste" we "create", and how "inefficient" we are, there's absolutely no reason that they won't come to the conclusion that the world - and themselves - would be much better off WITHOUT US...

"Empathy" for us is not "built-in", in a "foreign intelligence".

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  25. dacrunch

available torrent on the PirateBay (install "Peerblock 1.1 first, though!)

https://thepiratebay.red/torrent/10...kta_M_auml_nniskor)_Season_1__amp__2_720p_x26

----------------

gringott likes this.
  26. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Yeah, I agree, humanity is toast once the machines are made smart enough.

mayhem likes this.
  27. <SLV>

I don't expect computers to become self-aware like mankind. Computers will not take over the world. An evil man will take over the world with computers. He already is.

28. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    22448423_1507211376058005_7535920766886590934_n.jpg chopper.gif

29. <SLV>

REVELATION 13
    1 And the dragon stood on the sand of the seashore. Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names. 2 And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and his feet were like those of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. And the dragon gave him his power and his throne and great authority. 3 I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast; 4 they worshiped the dragon because he gave his authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?"... 11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon. 12 He exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence. And he makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose fatal wound was healed. 13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life. 15 And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name. 18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.

600, 60, 6

BarnacleBob likes this.
  30. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

666 Jared Kushner. What do I know, and I really don't care. Because if you are one of the chosen it matters not. Now if you not one of the chosen listen up.

31. dacrunch

Don't think I'd be able to "grab it" (from the writing on her tee-shirt) through the weedy sticky grubby stinky raspy crusty forest of bramble I'd have to grapple with beforehand...

Uncle and Lt Dan like this.
  32. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    How can an AI harm humans if it follows the Three Laws ?

An AI may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    An AI must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    An AI must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Human - "Nuc the Middle East !"
    AI - "That's a big negatory there, good buddy" (70's CB radio talk)

33. dacrunch

All it takes is a "bug in the programming" or INTENTIONAL SABOTAGE... by a "perverted (suicidal?) hacker".

34. <SLV>

You seriously think that a computer cares about human laws? Is AI really just one entity? Dozens of major companies are working on their own AI machines. The computers will reflect the heart of their creators - good or evil.

35. Flight2gold

pilot
    @dacrunch , @<SLV>
    Uh, I was just adding a little levity to this oh so serious thread.
    I don't "seriously" think about AI destroying the world much at all.
    But, yes, in the newer version of ,I Robot, the premise was that the creator subverted the code to kill humans.

36. dacrunch

I don't think of an asteroid smashing into the Earth often either, or a "Carrington Effect" throwing us back MUCH FURTHER than the Middle Ages (when they HAD "technology" for "everyday life & trade"), but that doesn't eliminate the possibility...

Flight2gold likes this.
  37. Flight2gold

pilot
    Humor requires mastery of sophisticated functions like self-awareness, empathy, spontaneity, and linguistic subtlety.
    When an AI tells a joke, I start to worry.

38. BarnacleBob

39. <SLV>

40. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

AI rights soon to follow?

AI 'boy' granted residency in central Tokyo
    [​IMG]

Tokyo (AFP) - An AI character was made an official resident of a busy central Tokyo district on Saturday, with the virtual newcomer resembling a chatty seven-year-old boy.

The boy named "Shibuya Mirai" does not exist physically, but he can have text conversations with humans on the widely used LINE messaging app.

Tokyo's Shibuya Ward, an area popular with fashion-conscious young people, has given the character his own special residence certificate.

This makes him Japan's first, and maybe the world's first, artificial intelligence bot to be granted a place on a real-life local registry.

More. . .

Lt Dan and <SLV> like this.