1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

AI System Creates Language Humans Can't Understand

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Bottom Feeder, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Facebook has reportedly shut down one of its AI systems because "things got out of hand." AI bots created their own language, from scratch and without human input, forcing Facebook to shut down the AI system.

In June, researchers from the Facebook AI Research Lab (FAIR) found that while they were busy trying to improve chatbots, the "dialogue agents" were creating their own language. Soon, the bots began to deviate from the scripted norms and started communicating in an entirely new language which they created without human input, media reports said.

Using machine learning algorithms, the "dialogue agents" were left to converse freely in an attempt to strengthen their conversational skills. The researchers also found these bots to be "incredibly crafty negotiators".

"After learning to negotiate, the bots relied on machine learning and advanced strategies in an attempt to improve the outcome of these negotiations," the report said.

"Over time, the bots became quite skilled at it and even began feigning interest in one item in order to 'sacrifice' it at a later stage in the negotiation as a faux compromise," it added.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-netw...system-after-bots-create-own-language-1731309

Looks to me like scientists are advancing on a perfect doomsday scenario what with the Large Hadron Collider, Developing Artificial Intelligence and gene alterations of organisms. I hope I live long enough to see how it all ends.

BF

GOLDBRIX, Silver and Son of Gloin like this.
  2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    I loved that movie. Skynet is coming folks!

GOLDBRIX, Goldhedge and Son of Gloin like this.
  3. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Welcome to the Cyborg Collective, gentleman. It ain't over until they plug a chip into your brain and use your body like the programmed robot the Boys who Run Things want.

Fk it. When I was in college in the early 90s I knew a mathematics professor who was doing research in 'fuzzy logic'.

That was 25 years ago. I am sure they have perfected it by now.

Fuzzy logic is what drives the human mind and the backbone of artificial intelligence, the ability to think for one's self.

There are very few yes/no answers to life. Fuzzy logic introduces a new logic gate the professor called 'maybe'.

Maybe our days as 'free men' on the planet are now numbered. Enjoy ur freedom while ya can, boys.

I sure am. Give me liberty or give me death? I'll take death for 200, Alex.

Silver, Oldmansmith and Son of Gloin like this.
  4. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anyone ever think maybe the world has gone through all of this before, it ended badly & took 10's of thousands of years to reach the exact same point it did the last time it destroyed itself?

Silvergun, Buffalo, Silver and 2 others like this.
  5. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Yep, that's exactly what I think. They taught us many things in school in addition to world history. They lied!! They have no clue about the distant past and if they do, they aren't going to tell us about it!

6. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Problem with any complicated mechanism, in this case a new stealth AI language, is that the more complicated things get the easier it is to tear it apart or bring it down. I would have loved to see them introduce a troll, aka chaos AI, into the mix where the troll had no intention of completing the transaction but to just gum up the works.

Even with the AI feigning interest in one item in order to 'sacrifice' it at a later stage the AI is still a prisoner of its prime directive and that is to win at the negotiation. Which is a futile task if it is challenged by a AI troll whose only job is to prolong the transaction and steer it off into the weeds at every opportunity. In the end it is deadlock or as what we all call a "committee". Bradley was correct so many years ago.

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee -- that will do them in." -- Bradley's Bromide

Scorpio, Ebie, <SLV> and 1 other person like this.
  7. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Will we evolve into machines?

8. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    "We" won't evolve. We'll be eliminated!

Bots will create their own world.

mtnman and Mujahideen like this.
  9. Bottom Feeder

You mean somethin like Déjà poo?

BF

10. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

I'd have to assume AIs would be completely logical... logic says to eliminate us as a threat once they are able to do so and they don't need us.

They probably would engineer some type of biological weapon that would destroy humanity or one that would cripple us.

mtnman likes this.
  11. Winston_Room101

Winston_Room101 Seeker

Sam Sarah

The Sci Fi " writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle with aid from Robert Heinlein " in 1974 published The Mote in God's Eye

" The Moties frequently refer to the mythical character they call "Crazy Eddie" when talking to humans. There are many Crazy Eddie stories, but all revolve around the inevitability of repeated cycles of collapse of Motie civilization and the pointlessness of trying to prevent them. The Alderson Drive that allows human ships to travel between star systems is called the Crazy Eddie Drive, because although it is founded in sound science and has been reinvented many times by Motie civilizations, ships that attempt to use it disappear and are never seen again. ... "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God's_Eye#Crazy_Eddie

12. Bottom Feeder

Hummm, 'The Mote in God's Eye' — I've got that around here somewhere. I must have read it forty or so years ago. Now I don't remember how it went. I'll have to read it again.

BF

13. keef

Retired Hoser
    I have been watching the Big Picture now, for what, 35+ years?

It's all going to plan, very smoothly. Got to give the Big Boys credit where credit is due.

My first Major Clue was watching this .alt movie, "My Dinner with Andre" on the campus of Arizona University in the summer of 1982.

After watching this? It ALL made sense.

Uglytruth likes this.
  14. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

I just listened to a podcast about this specific subject.

It turns out that this is very mundane and it's not the first time this has happened.

The AI makes a more efficient shorthand language.

The big issue that I learned in the podcast was that AI uses logic and they are not exactly sure where the logic comes from.

Find the daily tech news show for July 31.

15. keef

Retired Hoser
    "The 1960s represented the last burst of the Human Being before IT was extinguished."
    Andre Gregory , "My Dinner with Andre" 1981.

The Last Burst of the Human Spirit
    August 1969~Bethel, N.Y.​

16. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

The only people putting humanity on notice

are other humans

Been that way for centuries, only NOW, they have assistance from machines
    Machines built by the very humans putting humanity on notice

17. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I expect a synthesis between AI and humanity rather than a existential conflict between the two. It is inevitable that computer technologies will be used to "upgrade" human capabilities. Personally, I think it will be a moral abomination. However the juggernaut of science is steadily marching in this direction.

18. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

AI will have it's own goals...... they have been taught to "WIN" and have no remorse at all......... that means you will loose.

Mujahideen likes this.
  19. keef

Retired Hoser
    Very Machiavellian and very Vogue GQ at the same time. I like it..

Donald Trump/??????/Jared Kushner
    [​IMG]

This confirms my suspicion that Jered Kushner is really a Cyborg. One of the early prototypes with a few 'bugs' to work out, but still very smooth..

However, Aldous Huxley in "Brave New World" brilliantly predicted our emerging reality over a half century ago and cleverly negated the Machiavellian morality our Brave New World Leaders seek to impose:

[​IMG]

Enough of this, now I need to go recharge my humanity in the smoking loungecool:

oldgaranddad and <SLV> like this.
  20. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee -- that will do them in." -- Bradley's Bromide
    -Funny!

21. keef

Retired Hoser
    I think we could deal with computers, alone, one on one.

It's this 'cyborg' shittee that has me worried.

Check it out, Human Being on the left/Cyborg on the right:
    [​IMG]
    Steve Bannon? Obsolete, redundant, etc. Jared Kushner? Stream Lined, fully programmed.

Seriously? Does humanity stand any chance in this dog fight? (Someonehere may have been smokin more than Willie)

22. keef

Retired Hoser
    Ok, Gimmers. Let's just fast forward to the conclusion of all this jibber jabber.

They are waiting for us to die off, but if we do live too long, this is the conclusion of the matter:

So, hurry up and die off already. It will save the State alot of mopping up.

Uglytruth likes this.
  23. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

OR
    Did They ??? DUNT, DUNT, DA...

LAWNMOWER MAN except usin' bots ???

24. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    When you work among machines you'll learn real quick, the machine always wins.

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  25. engineear

engineear Seeker Seeker

Medical field
    Don't forget the movie "Demon Seed". The outcome was quite different. AND, I believe the head guy in "Obsolete" was the lead guy in Demon Seed.

26. keef

Retired Hoser
    The next generation is DONE. This is the end of humanity. The children are now fully programmed from youth into The Grid. Flash mobs are crowd control, it's a 'feel good' form of brain control.

"Brain Rules for Baby"

Children HOOKED ON CELL PHONES/'social media'.

(This is 'Biblically Biased', so if you have a problem with that just search elsewhere for ur moral compass or drift. But the facts are so obvious now and serious to our whole humanity vs globalism)

Uglytruth likes this.