1. Thurs am and USD regains some lost ground, now over 101
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! To start we have Gold down 9 to 1202, while Silver is down 31 to 1695. We have Crude up on supply info after a big downswing, +31 to 5221. The USD is back above 101 at 101.12.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by JayDubya, Jun 20, 2010.

1. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Gold Member Gold Chaser

When your Lady asks what you want for your birthday, just say "I wanna Puck"!

Foxwoods Man, andial and Silver Art like this.
  2. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Gold Chaser

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Bombay Hook puck price range update (as of 8:15 PM Oct. 7):

APMEX: $115.40 to 127.82

JMbullion: $110.25 to $119.86

Gainsville Coins: $102.75 (lowest price among the major online dealers listed) to $106.04

Provident: "Out of Stock"

BGASC: $115.10 to $121.93

Silver.com: $110.15 to $116.64

NOTE: The lower end of the price ranges listed above are for bulk purchases that are paid by wire or check.

NOTE2: Oct. 7 is still in the presale period.

NOTE3: The prices listed above does not include possible shipping and other costs.

Gainesville seems to be the best place to get the Bombay Hook bullion puck if you buy just one and you pay by wire.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  3. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Hmmmmm....................If I ever get a girlfriend, then I might ask that. If she says no, then I will have to break up with her and take out some 5-oz silver pucks to look at and to fondle. A win-win for me either way. :)

90%RealMoney likes this.
  4. 90%RealMoney

Just make sure if and when that time comes, you never show her your Puck collection. Women like to eliminate ALL competition!

5. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I have no worries because the silver pucks would be out-of-site since I would never show her my pucks. I have to keep some secrets and '70's silver art bars and ATB 5oz pucks are just two of the secrets that I intend to keep. However, since I do not have a girlfriend, it is not a concern for me at the moment.

90%RealMoney likes this.
  6. 90%RealMoney

I don't know why, but the "Married With Children" episode, where Peggy sells Al's Playboy magazine collection came to mind! With all of those pucks, and silver art bars, you may need some sort of secret hidden wall, like James Bond, or like Mr. Bishop and his weapons in "The Mechanic".

Silver Art likes this.
  7. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Good point. That is probably why i am hesitant to get a girlfriend. However, If I wait until 2021 (year that the last ATB puck to be relesed) to get a girlfriend, then that will be an even bigger problem for me. Mo' (real) money Mo' problems. SIGH!!!!!!! Now if I do not get a gf, then that means that my pucks are safe from the female "competition".

On a serious note, I am not concerned about getting a gf. I am a lot more concerned about filling as many holes in my ATB bullion collection than about getting a gf. :) However, if the unfortunate happens and I end up with a gf, then.........Bummer. I would hope that the ATB silver puck "gods" would have mercy on me and on my puck collection.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  8. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    From what I read, the Saratoga bullion puck is supposed to come out on Nov. 30. Of course that could change but it makes sense since they come out about every two months.

9. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter

Shemitah imbecile premium seems to have lessened on some ATB's, anyone following the best deals available?

10. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Gainsville has the Bombay bullion puck for $94. Decent, but not as low as what you can get five ASEs for right now.

Good to see ya 'dial!

andial likes this.
  11. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

12. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

What is with that Iowa?

13. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Best to wait for Saratoga and buy them on presale.

andial likes this.
  14. pay dirt

pay dirt Gold Member Gold Chaser

A guess is the Ozark one has the turtle is going to be next years winner.

15. pay dirt

They were horded because they could not offload them to collectors for the 100,000 each minted. Too bad because 2011 had some decent designs. They are probably sitting on top of a 1921 Morgan pile, waiting to be discovered. If a person can snag them (pucks) near spot they are some of the most secure silver bullion ever minted.

andial and Mr Paradise like this.
  16. howellzin

howellzin Silver Member Silver Miner

A***X has pre-order pricing for Saratoga up now . . . order fast if you want some before the price goes up.

Saratoga.png

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Dude, Silver Art and andial like this.
  17. ctrl-z

ctrl-z Seeker Seeker

I saw that, had a mint tube in the cart, came here then back. My cart was empty! Out of stock, so I set an alert and when I was done with that they were back in stock. So I got one mint tube ordered.

18. ctrl-z

ctrl-z Seeker Seeker

Well, I just got my alert that they are back in stock................ for $1.96/oz. More than when I made my order. Feeling even better now!

:36_3_16:

19. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I had to thank this post because I saw it at the right time during the day today to get 2 of them at a decent price.

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I have done something that I have not done in 7-years and that is buy something from APMEX. I guess that puck fever can do that to a person.

EDIT: I was lucky enough to see Howellzin's thread at the right time while I was at work and I was able to take advantage of locking in a low (low to me) price on 2 Saratoga ATB bullion pucks. I managed to lock in a price of $91.31 per puck. I bought 2 Saratoga pucks for a total of $182.62. I feel good about my purchase too considering that APMEX raised the price by $16.33 after I locked in my purchase during this presale.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    ctrl-z and howellzin like this.
  21. Chester-Copperpot

Great price guys, you can't lose in the long term with these.

Silver Art likes this.
  22. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Damn it. I've been so ticked off at the high price of $5 for ATB premiums that when I saw eagles drop to $2.49 over spot, I got sucked in and had to buy a few rolls.
    I also got sucked into getting some zombucks last week with a free copper roll.
    Now, I guess I'm OK with that because I've caught some great deals on eBay, the big dealers, and the mint.
    This was the first time here on GIM that I am sadly dismayed to have missed a deal as good as this ATB. You can't find this price on eBay on any of them!
    NEW IDEA!!!
    Should someone set up a thread with explicit instructions to posters here to only post "great" deals and then have a sister thread for discussion?
    My thought is to subscribe to the great deals thread so an email hits my cell phone....sister thread is so you don't get notifications associated with the discussion.
    If it does not work for you, then drop your subscription.
    Kudos for the old member that rarely posts.

ctrl-z and Silver Art like this.
  23. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

I was able to buy one Saratoga coin before the price jump at APMEX, though I used a credit card to make the purchase (I added a Perth Kangaroo so that I could get the free shipping).

I agree that buyers in the mainstream have now recognized this coin series as worthy of a premium. It took this many years for public awareness and acceptance to reach the mainstream.

The catch is that the demand doesn't apply equally to all coins in the series. It depends on different variables, such as mintage, coin name, and design... But one can make an educated guess on how a coin will be received. Perry's Victory, for example, sells low compared to other coins with similar mintage.

24. Foxwoods Man

Just did a quick check of a few dealers....(spot was at 14.24) ..prices are for single coins in a quantity of 10 and check payment

Apmex...101.20
    SD Bullion ..99.00
    JD Bullion ..94.15 All include shipping...

Even the lowest still has a premium of $4.59/oz and that is in a quantity of 10 and with a check.

I think the days of pre-sale bargains are gone or at least those lasting more than a day

25. Mr Paradise

I'm thinking the Saratoga will be the high mintage puck for 2015.

26. Starter

You might want to check again after Provident begins their sale of the new coin.

I prefer APMEX for low quantities because of the free coin capsule (Provident uses an envelope). For 10-coin orders, though, I believe Provident uses the original mint tubes.

I have a feeling you are right, but this coin has two pluses for the buyer:

1) The name of the coin has good name recognition.

2) The spot price of the metal is currently low.

Several months ago, the premium for the Great Smoky Mountains coin was well behind the previous coin, Mount Rushmore. Right now, they are about neck-and-neck. My regret for buying a roll of GSM instead of MR has now vanished.

Yet both of these coins have higher mintage than Perry's Victory, whose premium still remains at the bottom of the pile. Saratoga, unlike Perry's Victory, is a well-known name, and one of the few coins in the series that commemorates the Revolutionary War.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  27. 90%RealMoney

While pondering the popularity of this series, I had somewhat of a brain fart. With all of those TV coins sellers, "Coin Vault", etc., I noticed that more often than not, they seem to be pushing Silver Eagles. Now, Eagles are the most popular collector coin, along with Morgans. I don't know if they push them because of their popularity, or if they remain that popular because these guys are always pushing them. I do know however, that I have never seen ATB pucks for sale on one of those programs. I'm thinking maybe if and when these guys decide to start pushing ATB's, we may see a popularity jump of sorts. Those TV shows are all overpriced jokes, but apparently enough people are too lazy to do a little research, or even go to the Mint website and purchase coins for a fraction of what they are sold for on those shows. I would definitely welcome seeing Pucks for sale on those programs though.

28. ctrl-z

ctrl-z Seeker Seeker

Good or not, these are my first 10 pucks. I doubt that I will try for a full set or anything like that, but it seemed like a good deal.

I got in at $87.15 btw

Silver Art likes this.
  29. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    That $87.15 price is great IMO. You did better than I did. I got in at $91.31 which is the lowest price that I paid for a 5-oz ATB puck since I started collecting them in February 2015. I will try to collect the entire bullion set but I am still catching up since I came in late to the ATB puck party.

ctrl-z likes this.
  30. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    More than likely that will be the case given that the other 2015 ATB bullion mintages are high (but not nearly has high as the 2011 pucks). I will make a WAG that the mintage for the Saratoga puck will be between 50,000 - 60,000 (up from the 45,000 mintage of the Bombay Hook bullion puck). The lowest mintage among the 2015 ATB bullion is the Homestead puck at 35,000. I am also make a WAG that when the Saratoga "P" puck gets released next month, then it will probably end up with a sub-20,000 mintage (like the Blue Ridge "P") given that the price is probably going to stay the same at $149 + shipping.

andial and Mr Paradise like this.
  31. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    It appears that the APMEX premium for the ATB Saratoga bullion puck has leveled off during this presale period...............For now.

andial likes this.
  32. Foxwoods Man

Down $10 from yesterday (111.10 to 101.25...looking at quantity of 10/check price) BUT still carries a premium of $6/ounce which is a tad up there for a product that is supposed to be a bullion play.

33. pay dirt

Straight bullion bars like JM and Engelhard have a premium of 6 to 8 bucks an ounce. They do not make them anymore, they have now collector value. The slightly higher premium is because it has a collector value.

34. Foxwoods Man

Yes, but straight bullion bars that ARE being made have a premium of around $1.70-ish....apples to apples

(and Englehard 100 oz bars are available around $2/oz premium if you want a bigger product of that brand)

35. Foxwoods Man

MCM is now in the mix. Usually just deals with graded stuff but I just got a pre-sale Saratoga roll for $95.45 each shipped (pay by check)

Starter likes this.
  36. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Wire is now $94.96. Is that the same as check price? The march downward is amazing to me. At least I didn't pay horrendous premiums over the last month. I guess the big boys knew and just dropped down the premium to clear out some inventory, knowing they could replace it at less cost?

andial likes this.
  37. Starter

I need to try this vendor.

This year, ATB premiums have risen above the pack, unlike the previous two years. We need the extra competition in order to hope seeing normal prices again.

38. Mr Paradise

Silver entertained the 13's once again this evening.

39. Chester-Copperpot

I love the ATB series, but can't bring myself to pay $4-$5 over when spot is $14. Long term I think bullion bought sub $15 will do much better.

40. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Yep. Silver made a new low (intra-day low) for 2015 at $13.84 this morning (11-23-2015 Kitco intra-day quote).

As for the ATB series, I do not have a problem paying $4-$5 over spot for them at current spot silver levels. I am used to paying that for '70's silver art bars at the LCS (when they have them). I like what I collect so I do not mind paying that premium, however, based on spot silver being weak and continuing to go down after it failed to break $16 resistance, I do expect premiums for upcoming ATB bullion pucks to increase starting with Shawnee (1st ATB puck for 2016). I am going ahead and make a WAG here stating that silver will probably be in the mid to high $12 range and stay there until APMEX presale for Shawnee. I am also making a WAG that the APMEX Shawnee presale price point will start at near where it was for the Saratoga presale for the "early birds that catch the worms" (high $80's - low $90's price point range depending on how many you buy and payment method). I am guessing that APMEX "presale" for Shawnee will start sometime between January 15 to January 23.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015