1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by JayDubya, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor

The Frederick also had a 2+ month head start on the Ozark. If the Ozark is really done at 20,000, I would wait to see in 2 more months from today if the Ozark will see the same kind of premium (or higher) like Frederick is currently demanding from the main online dealers.

I have to agree that the Ozark is the best puck design of 2017. No question in my mind about that.

The 2012 pucks as a whole will be very tough to beat in terms of both mintage and design. Even if the 2017 finished with mintages of 35,000, 20,000, 20,000, 20,000, 20,000, the total mintage for the 2017 bullion pucks would be 115,000 which would still be higher than the 2012 combined 5-puck mintage of 113,800.

Even the 2012 Acada bullion puck at 25,400 (highest mintage of all 2012 bullion pucks), it is on sale at Apmex for over $300 and will fetch prices as high as of between $250 - $280 range on ebay. However, that design is probably the 2nd best design behind Volcanoes design.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

Have the numbers on the Moultrie stopped?

3. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I am not sure of the Moultrie mintages have stopped and if these are final mintage numbers but I checked USMint.gov and the mintage is still at 35,000. Maybe they found all of the spare ones that they had stashed in the breakroom.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Mr Paradise likes this.
  4. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

A quick check on Ebay shows that the Ozark is indeed creeping up in price. The two should reach parity shortly I would guess.

Silver Art likes this.
  5. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    It would not surprise me to see Ozark surpass the Frederick in price if the 20,000 mintage on the Ozark is indeed the final mintage (I think that it is the final mintage). With the mintage for each at 20,000, The Ozark would win over Frederick because of Ozark's better design over Frederick and I suspect that the Ozark premium will eventually show that meaning that the price for the Ozark will surpass that of the Frederick. Just pure speculation on my part.

6. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

JM Bullion has raised prices for both...Ozark is now $148...Fred is $180
    APMEX $140 Ozark...Fred $167
    SD Bullion..both OOS
    Provident $130/$158
    MCM ,,Ozark $125..Fred OOS
    BayPM...Ozark $133..Fred $171 (2 left)

Silver Art likes this.
  7. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I will take back what I said in the 1st sentence of post # 4803 about waiting 2 more months for the Ozark puck. The premiums are rising (and rising fast) now. Very interesting indeed. It will also be interesting to see what Ellis Island bullion puck will do once mintage numbers start coming out. I am in a speculative mood but then again I am a degenerate speculator.

In my opinion, in order for a person that wishes to flip a Frederick or Ozark to make a short term profit right now and missed the 1st day (or 1st few days) of the pre-sale when it was at its lowest premium, one would have to "bottom fish" to find one at a LCS or at a coin show (better bottom-fishing chances at a coin show IMO) for a price of $100 - $105 (or lower) to flip one on ebay at current collector premiums for a decent net profit (after ebay/pp fees and USPS shipping costs).

8. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

Just ordered 2 Ellis Island pucks from APMEX, making my year-to-date list of pucks to be 10 Effigy Mounds, 5 Frederick Douglass, 1 Ozark Riverways, and 2 Ellis Island.

If the Frederick and Ozark pucks indeed end the year with high premiums, I think I am doing fine. The dead weight comes from the 10 Effigy Mounds I bought a few months ago when silver was at 18.54 (unfortunately, the hype of the ATB low mintage came at a time when silver peaked...). But I cannot blame myself for buying when silver was high, as the news of this year's low mintage as well as Provident's "special sale" was too good for me to turn down.

Maybe there is still another opportunity for a good PM purchase this year, where I can use my remaining dry powder for the year (perhaps the 2017 gold unc eagle, I am thinking...).

9. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Right... makes a fella want to load up on Freddie and the Ozarks.

Is this impulse being used against us for the Ellis Island pre sale?

Decisions, decisions...

10. 90%RealMoney

Yeah, I'm thinking Ellis Island suddenly has a max mintage the way things are going.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  11. Mr Paradise

I agree, Ellis could very well be the trap puck and finish with a 45,000+ mintage. You'll have two months for speculators to place orders before we even see the first sales numbers released from the mint.

I think I'm going to purchase just 2 of the Ellis puck and see what happens.

12. goldfanbrad

goldfanbrad New Member Seeker

Dangit, ModernCoinMart made me buy another Frederick Douglas. They auctioned off a couple of First Strike DMPL69 mercanti auto Douglas's last night. Couldn't pass one up at $158.

13. Foxwoods Man

Nice price....I don't have that many that are graded but the PCGS slabs are MUCH better than the huge NGC ones and if you can get a protected one for the same price I say go for it

14. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

So I didn't over pay at $122 a piece for the Ozark beauties? I love my LCS.....

15. 90%RealMoney

Cheapest I've seen lately. Why the Ozarks are going for less than the Douglass, is beyond me.

16. shallow_explorer

shallow_explorer Silver Member Silver Miner

Oil Digger
  17. Foxwoods Man

I bought my tube of Ozarks (pre-sale) for right around $100 or a tad less but silver was around 50 cents/oz higher then.

Initial price should be an indicator of the future BUT, with that said, the Mint is due for a biggie mintage to make up for the two recent numbers.

Also...I ordered my pre-sale Ellis tube from BGASC at $93.75/ea a couple of weeks ago

18. 90%RealMoney

Yeah, I agree. If any issue is going to get the big numbers, one would think Ellis Island would be the one. Design wise, I think Ozark is a more attractive coin. US Mint web page has the 2018 designs shown. Looks like 5 decent looking coins for a change! https://www.usmint.gov/

19. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    2018 ATB pucks: The year of the bird. Yikes!!! Too many birds for me on these pucks IMO. I do not even know if I am going to even buy a 2018 puck.

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I do agree that the Ozark is the best design of 2017 and it is better then Ellis IMO but Ellis is not a bad design. Ellis is probably better deisgn than Frederick but I like the Frederick puck too. I still think that if the Ozark mintage of 20,000 holds, then I feel that the premium on the Ozark will surpass the premium on the Frederick. We will see.

21. Mr Paradise

Floating in Whitefish Bay while listening to loons sing to each other is about as close to heaven as I've gotten Art.

Those 2018's are great!

savvydon and birddog like this.
  22. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think the ATB series is brilliant in conception, and so far has been pretty stellar in execution. I grant you that not every design is inspired, but having these motifs splattered across three inch silver planchets is often nothing shy of breathtaking.

23. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I will admit that a bird-dominated themed ATB puck is not really my thing and that was why I posted what I did in post # 4821 of this thread. With that said, the only "bird dominated" themed puck that I currently have is the Bombay "P" puck. My apologies to any bird enthusiast for sounding "anti-bird" in that post.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  24. 90%RealMoney

The first two coins of the 5, I like the most. I don't like the canoeist though. Somehow most coins with humans depicted, I do not like. Just show the National Park. No need to show visitors. Yeah, couple of those big bird coins remind you of the Everglades coin, and Bombay Hook, both which are almost identical.

Mr Paradise, birddog and Silver Art like this.
  25. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The Ozark is a great example IMO of a design of what a 5-oz puck of a national park scene should be.

Mr Paradise, birddog and savvydon like this.
  26. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

To each his own - no need to explain. :beer:

As an animal person, I would much rather see wildlife than people. I like the birds......

Mr Paradise and Silver Art like this.
  27. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Speaking of Ozark, the mintage is still holding at 20,000. Maybe just maybe that will be the final mintage. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

28. 90%RealMoney

I would guess it's over for Ozark and Douglass. How could they let this much time elapse, without minting more? I know, it IS the US Mint. Ellis is just around the corner. I'm guessing max mintage on Ellis Bullion pucks, and quick sellout of the "P" version. Might as well make the WAG's, eh?

Silver Art likes this.
  29. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Making WAG'a on ATB bullion pucks is fun.

I will have to agree with you this since we just entered the month of August and the pre-sale of Ellis Island bullion pucks is already underway and we are about 5 weeks away from the Ellis bullion pucks to be shipped by the authorized bullion dealers.

30. Mr Paradise

I'm not a people on my puck person either so Wisconsin is my least favorite of the 2018's.

If you count all pucks released to date (all 2017's) There are 11 pucks with people including statues and hands and only 4 pucks with a bird as the main focus. I didnt count Shawnee, Chicasaw, Effigy or Smoky.

I've been waiting 8 years for the Michigan puck and even though I like the design very much I would say it's my 4th favorite of the 18's beating out only Wisconsin.

31. Mr Paradise

I think you guys are right about 20,000 Fred and Ozark. I'm guessing at this point that the Ft Moultrie increases were some type of brain fart/clerical error at the mint and not the norm.

I thought the 2018 designs were so nice that the mintages would be through the roof but I remembered how popular the Maine puck design was and the mint went with low numbers on it.

Silver Art likes this.
  32. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The 2012 Acadia 5-oz bullion puck with a final mintage of 25,400 (Highest mintage of all 2012 ATB bullion pucks). I remember that puck. That was the last 5-oz ATB bullion puck that I sold on ebay. I made a large net profit on that particular bullion puck when I sold it on ebay recently.

33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of today (August 12, 2017), the Ozark and Frederick ATB bullion pucks are still holding at 20,000 each. I am starting to believe that these will be the final mintages for these two bullion pucks. Since we are in the Ellis bullion pre-sale, I suspect that the USMint is done with making any more of the Frederick and Ozark bullion pucks. A year from now will confirm those mintages in my opinion. That should give the USMint plenty of time to find any that were stashed away in the break room. Just more useless speculation on my part. Carry on...........

savvydon and Mr Paradise like this.
  34. Mr Paradise

Speculation is what makes this series so fun Art. After getting disappointed with the Effigy puck gamble I never would have thought the mint would give us back to back low mintage pucks to make me feel better. Still have two pucks to go for 17 so no telling what kind of twists and turns the mint has left on this years ride.

savvydon likes this.
  35. Foxwoods Man

Three week price update: (Ozark/Fred)
    JM...$151/173
    Apmex..$143/170
    SDBull..$138..out
    Provident..$out/166
    MCM..$136/169 (SP69)
    BAYPM..out/out

savvydon likes this.
  36. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Mr Paradise likes this.
  37. Mr Paradise

Damn, I was hoping the Georgia puck would get the turtle design instead of the bird. I can kind of sympathize with you a little bit Art on the bird dominated designs now. The guy in the canoe turns me off on the Wisconsin, but I knew he was coming so no surprise.

A tube each of Michigan and Minnesota for me.

Silver Art likes this.
  38. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

39. 90%RealMoney

Excellent Lou, Danka!

louky likes this.
  40. 90%RealMoney

Some of these designs are starting to look like those cheesy collector's plates.