1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Any pianists/ keyboardists here ? Checkout this keyboard

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by HardTruth, Aug 30, 2017.

1. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

For the money { under $700} I'm not aware of any keyboard/ portable digital piano that sounds this good , has 40 watts of power thru 6 built in speakers , 88 weighted and graded keys and such great piano/instrument sounds. The touch screen makes it very intuitive and theres no need to spend hours reading a 200 page instruction manual if you wanna do things like layering/ splitting the keyboard, changing effects, etc .

Casio used to be considered more of a toy keyboard company, but they really kicked it into high gear over the years.

glockngold, Merlin, Goldhedge and 2 others like this.
  2. engineear

engineear Seeker Seeker

Medical field
    He works for Korg too. If that's under $700 it's a great buy, if you like the feel.
    I own a Korg Kronos2 61 with synth action and have owned 5 pricey keyboards and for small venues or at home use this Casio looks/sounds good.

3. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

I had purchased the brand new DEXIBELL P7 keyboard, which boasts all new technology for 2017. The sample loop for the sounds are 15 seconds, which is unheard of . 88 Keys are also fully weighted/ graded.

These are very new and not even available at places like guitar center yet. I think they are made in Italy. I ordered one online for $1500 shipped . When I got it and hooked it up to my studio monitors, I was not impressed and I thought it wasn't very user friendly .

I sent it back and got a refund and decided to check out some of casios offering. I bought this CGP700 and am blown away by its sound, ease of use , 40 watt- 6 way speaker system , and the intuitive touch screen display. I paid $685 and feel as though it is the best deal on a digital piano/keyboard ever offered { and Ive also owned many keyboard, from rolands, to yamahas to a original KORG M1 } . The feel of the keys is also incredible . I have no idea how in the hell casio can make a profit on a keyboard like this and sell it for only $685 . It only weighs around 28 lbs, which isn't bad for a full size unit, with built in speakers.

FWIW, casio also makes a very portable and lightweight synth/ keyboard called the XW-P1. It can even run on batteries. You can find these for around $ 450 new in box and the synth sounds { and even piano sounds} are impressive. The only negative for me is it is 61 unweighted keys, and the user manual is awful. This keyboard can make so many damn sounds { for its low price} , it boggles the mind. It uses a technology called
    " hex layering " to create the thickest , coolest sounds around. I think for synth sounds , it is the best deal around in a portable package.

Goldhedge likes this.
  4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

5. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

spent about 1 hour today playing this casio CGP 700 . The touch screen is so easy to use to create sounds, alter effects, etc. Was able to layer a nice grand piano with a flanged synth string section and get nearly the exact sound for that 10c.c song IM NOT IN LOVE .

6. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Wow.
    That is impressive.
    Back in the late 70's in my road dog days, I carried a Yamaha cp70 electric baby grand that had to be tuned every 1000 miles or so.
    Along with arp string ensemble, arp odyssey (wow 2 note polyphony plus pitch bend pads), Mini Moog, Fender Rhodes, WLM organ w/ 147 Leslie.
    My most valuable piece of gear was the hot plate for the hotel room, since I didn't have any money left to eat at restaurants.
    drummer used to bitch at the cost of sticks.......
    fuckn drummers

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pages/YamahaCP70B.htm
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/string.php
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_Odyssey
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimoog
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes_piano

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Ensoniq likes this.
  7. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    I'm not a keyboardist. The CGP-700's piano (sampled) sounds good (on my crappy speakers). The Fender Rhodes patch sounded decent.

Some of the the synth sounds are really cheesy, though. imo. The nylon guitar? BIG. FAT. FAIL. Strings? A low-end Roland from the 1980's sounded at least that good.

I imagine the split keyboard feature could be useful if the bass player is a no-show.

8. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

Its always hard to anaylize sounds thru computer speakers. Ive been a songwriter/ musician for over 30 years and owned keyboards that were 3-4 x the price of this casio, and I can tell you NONE of them comes close as far as having all the positives of great sounds, very easy to use, portable ,feel of the weighted keys , etc. Ive got mine running thru my Yamaha studio monitors and these piano , , orchestra samples are astounding . The flutes sound so real, it is amazing. I haven't had time to go deep into the synth sounds yet , and it is possible they are slightly lacking when compared to the acoustic samples, but overall, this keyboard is mind blowing for under $700 . I'm so impressed, I'm gonna write a lengthy compliment about it, and email it to Casio Corporation. A keyboard this great and inexpensive, deserves to be applauded and the manufacturer needs to be thanked for it.

The touch screen needs to be implemented on all keyboards, because it is so easy to use and I did not even have to read a 200 page manual, to learn how to choose sounds, layer sounds, split the keyboard, add effects , make my own sound patches, etc.

9. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Non-Black Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    Nice set up. I had an odyssey and a farfisa then later an Ensoniq

I forget which Leslie but it was a 2piece five footer

I used to get into it with the sax guy who never wanted to,help rodie

glockngold likes this.
  10. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

I am NOT a pianist however, I have a couple of synths (Alesis and Korg). I keep them around to play and record parts for various projects. They are quite user friendly and are great for students and hobbyists.

Honestly I've never been impressed by Casio products. They are always "almost there" but continue to lack the necessary features for pro sound and pro performance. A gret place to start would be to make stereo outputs as 1/4" phone jacks or balanced xlr outs. Providing a solid output level of -10dbv or better would also be beneficial to provide enough level to a PA system or recorder. Onboard speaker/amp is great for the avg consumer and totally useless in a band situation.

As far as how they can make a profit selling these, easy, they totally replaceable and disposable. The cost is too high to repair them. This is way of most inexpensive electronic devices today from little audio converters to amplifiers speakers and mixing consoles. A little secret here... musical equipment that is returned to dealers is generally just put on a pallet to be sold or recycled. This stuff does not even go back to the manufacturer. If the customer wants an item repaired they are usually just sent another of the same model. The time and labor required to open a unit, diagnose, repair and re-assemble often costs as much or more than it does to build a new one. It's simply much more cost-effective to ship a new one to the customer. Of course the more expensive professional equipment from Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, etc. is repairable and it is more cost-effective to repair these units. $1,000 seems to be the current retail point/dividing line between what's repairable and what's not... at least for keyboards. Other electronic devices have different division points. Also, this is common practice among all consumer electronics manufacturers including tools, vacuum cleaners, coffeemakers, etc., etc..

On the other side is that quality control has, in general, improved immensely. There will ALWAYS be a bad unit, crap designs and poorly implemented quality checks and programs. When making thousands or even millions of units the bad one will get through now and again, even from the most reputable companies. Perfection will ever and always be beyond the grasp of humans. The best companies have learned to deal effectively with these errors by making the customer whole with either a new product to replace the failed unit or a rapid refund. All in all a business practice that has proved to be quite successful for both customers and companies.

So, in the end, Casio products can and do fill a need and do a a good job of it. Definitely not pro level gear but a fine step on the road to the pro level.