1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Any recommendations on 100 gal gas tanks.

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by puller738, Sep 11, 2010.

1. puller738

puller738 Seeker Seeker

Looking to start prepping in the gas area. I would like a 100 gal portable fuel tank. Any recommendations. :ridinghorse:

2. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

Good luck finding the exact configuration you need. I'm looking too. I check craigslist daily in the farm and garden section. So far I can't even find steel 55 gallon drums without the large removable tops with bands. Plastic ones might be OK for diesel but I wouldn't put gasoline in anything but steel for long term storage, unless it's a plastic specifically formulated for gasoline.

3. techguy2

techguy2 Meh Gold Chaser

I bought 2 55gal closed head drums that had carried hydraulic fluid from a local salvage/resale shop for 15 each. They were essentially in perfect condition, no rust.

Didn't even have to clean them out.

Check with any auto shops that do a lot of oil changes, they generally get the oil in 55 or 30 gal closed head drums.

4. TnAndy

TnAndy retired guy Platinum Bling

I get 55 gal drums from a local sawmill. They go thru a lot of lube oil and hydraulic oil. The oil company that delivers to them doesn't want the drums back, so they always have some to get rid of. I put another coat of Rustoleum paint on them, since the original paint is pretty thin and cheap.

5. Herban_Guerilla

Herban_Guerilla New Member

Stayin' alive
    I bought an all aluminum, 152 US gallon, diesel fuel tank with all the mounting brackets, from an 18 wheeler for $100, delivered.

If tromping through the local truck salvage yard isn't your thing, put a 'wanted' ad on CraigsList. My CL ad was replied within one day.

Good luck.

6. Skid

Skid New Member

Just get a 100 gallon slip tank for the back of your pick up. Purchase a 12 volt electric or a manual pump and you are good to go. They are designed to transport gas or diesel, and are the safest method...

7. hoarder

That's the $500 solution, worthwhile if you have dozers and excavators. Now if I could find a setup like that at a garage sale for 1/4 price...

8. Skid

Skid New Member

The OP wanted a portable gas tank. There's nothing better than a slip tank which is designed to be portable. Barrels are portable too, but not as easy to handle or as safe.

Also, that's new at $500. Check Craigslist or similar. I see them going used for around $200 bucks all the time. Lot's of farmers also sell tanks on stands for similar prices...

9. Skid

Skid New Member

Also, one has to be careful with barrels as they are not vented. They must be kept full at all times if you live where there are large swings in temperature. Otherwise they will crumple like an aluminum can. Maybe not tightening the bung plug all the way might prevent this.

10. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

most 55 gallon oil drums hold 58-62 gallons, put just 50 gal in them to allow for expansion and replace the small plug with a piece of 3/4 pipe threaded on both ends, screw one end in the barrel and put a 90 degree elbow on the other end or put can over it to keep water out, if they aren't kept full moisture will collect on the inside so you will need a filter from tractor supply that will block any water from going into a vehicle(I use 2 filters). I get them from the local railroad. these have now been replaced with a 300 gal tank. gas makes steel drums rust to easy from the inside when empty
    [​IMG]

11. hoarder

12. keepitlow

keepitlow Seeker Seeker

trail maint.
  13. techguy2

techguy2 Meh Gold Chaser

Haven't noticed any expansion problems with diesel stored in the garage. If you are storing gas, then a proper drum vent would be in order...

[​IMG]

14. MetalsMan

MetalsMan New Member

Can these truck bed "Transfer Tanks" be used for GASOLINE?

I've been looking for one, but usually there's a restriction in the product details like:

Not for use with gasoline.
    Not for transferring gasoline to OTHER vehicles.

I just want one for when I go out to the desert and ride motorcycles for a week OR SHTF.

15. hoarder

Selling diesel tanks is a relatively lawsuit free endeavor, selling gasoline tanks isn't. The only time it makes a difference is on fuel transfer pumps, as some of the ones for diesel only need diesel for lubrication.

16. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Some are only made for diesel and not gas so be carefull there, www.northertool.com has some

17. hoarder

The best way to find fuel tanks is in the "Farm and Garden" section of Craigslist. Usually they're 200 gallons or larger but they're usually priced at a dollar a gallon or less with a stand.

18. MetalsMan

MetalsMan New Member

This makes a lot of sense.

I'd be OK with a hand pump.

I hear it's smart to only fill about 80% since GAS EXPANDS on warmer days.

:thumbs_up:

How about this one for GASOLINE? [With a hand pump]

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306753_200306753

[​IMG]

19. Dutch

Dutch New Member

Check your nearest "farm supply" store.... i.e., "Big R", "Tractor Supply", etc.. Expect to pay $200 to $300 for a 100 gallon, welded tank.

Install a manual pump with filters, add the necessary anti-gels and lubricity (diesel) and you're in like Flint.

20. elroy

elroy Silver Member Silver Miner

I keep a 55 gallon barrel inside the shed.

I drilled a small hole in the large plug and screwed in a 1/4 inch elbow that had threads on the outside of both ends.

I stuffed some foam rubber type material in the end of the fitting and screwed on another fitting to keep the foam inside.

This allows a small amount of venting while keeping out bugs, dirt etc.

I installed a spigot in the small bung hole.