1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gold and Silver finish the week down
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/29/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- DOWN 20.80 Silver $17.19-- down 61 Oil $49.33-- down 0.29 USD $98.89 -- down 0.99

Any Trappers Here?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Boating, HIking, Trapping' started by coopersmith, Jan 24, 2016.

1. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    I have never seen a live racoon up here[I've seen a few dead ones people shot that supposedly jumped off a train]. I've trapped many hundreds of skunks and never been sprayed but I about pissed myself when Ed phoned all mad as he is the wifes friend and not mine. My 15 year old knows to move slow as you describe but Ed not soooooooo much.

coopersmith, searcher and Lt Dan like this.
  2. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for you guys who done in so many coyotes, Good work! I've only killed one so far. Sometimes I set a cage trap out with sardines to find out what's prowling my place at night and get a skunk. I always shoot them in the lungs with a .22 and they can't spray then.

coopersmith and pitw like this.
  3. pitw

Never judge a fellows numbers on things like coyotes until you know where he lives and how many acres with coyotes he has. I went down to KY to see why guys I spent a lot of time on a predator hunting forum I frequent shot so few. I learned in a hurry that the reason was access to coyotes not their hunting skills. I have a million acres I can access and so many coyotes some guys say I gotta shoo them away so I can sit down to call.
    Sardines are my favorite skunk bait.

4. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

Every skunk I ever shot but a few have spayed. I use a kill pole now, they go down easy. No yellow cloud.

I have been sprayed a bunch of times. It isnt really that bad, after about 5 minutes you cant smell a thing.

best regards
    coopersmith

5. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I prefer a .22 rifle and some distance when I have to put a skunk down. I aim for the heart area. With a revolver, I'm a good shot, but, not from any distance I want to be from a skunk in case I miss the heart/lung area. I did actually walk up on a trapped skunk once and hit it with a steel handle trapping tool. Killed it dead with one strike, broke its neck, can't remember if it sprayed or not, but I picked it up by one of its front paws, took two weeks for the scent to wear off, tried everything we knew of at the time to get rid of the odor, didn't bother me, but wife was not happy about it.

On a side note, I've caught skunks, in live traps, in the heat of summer and after a couple hours they would be dead from the heat. They don't tolerate heat very well.

searcher likes this.
  6. pitw

One of the lad shooting a skunk in trap.
    [​IMG]

One that got me in a bit of pooh mit the wife unit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GOLDBRIX, searcher and Lt Dan like this.
  7. Bushpilot

Bushpilot Silver Member Silver Miner

Remember to always dispatch a skunk with a body/heart shot, that way you don't atomized the brain which may contain rabies. The skunk is the only animal rabies doesn't kill.
    BP

GOLDBRIX and Goldhedge like this.
  8. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Well i-D-Clare...I have spotted my first live coon in a tree in the daylight.

Yep, was talking with the neighbor and he mentioned a couple of birds and pointed to a nest. I told him that wernt no nest it's a coon. Damm dint think I could see that good any more. I'd take a pik but at 60 feet up it'd look like a spot. Yeah, cheep camera phone.

Oh and the birds he was referring to are a nesting pair of vultures....I told him he better get his permits and move soon so he could lose them.

searcher and pitw like this.
  9. coopersmith

How goes it guys. Been working my town job, fertilizing the corn ground, messing round with the cows, been fairly busy. Did get our turkey tags filled as well.

I found a few coyote dens last week, figure ill shoot the parents.

I am seeing alot of blue scale quail, its been raining fuck its splendid. Green as ive ever seen it, the turned out calves here will be huge come fall, the buffalo grass is nuts. I am looking forward to it, I need to pick some replacement heifers.

Lots of rabbits and rodents. The bobcats, yotes and raptors have plenty of grub. my uneducated mind would say big litters.

We always appreciate a wet spring here. Its not usual. Its been a long time coming.

10. Silvertoothtiger

Silvertoothtiger Seeker Seeker

What is the best all round trap for everything small no lrge?

11. pitw

A mouse won't set off a bear trap and a mouse trap won't hold a bear.:ponder:

So I guess a pit trap with geased sides would maybe be the best for all sizes as man made traps just won't get them all in one.

searcher likes this.
  12. coopersmith

If I had to pick a starter set of traps to run, id start with good quality cage traps and a coyote rifle. I have managed to catch every furbearer in my area in cage traps, except coyotes. If I had the time id run cages exclusively, along with coyote calling.

If I lived in pitw's area id run snares.

best regards,
    coopersmith

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    searcher and Lt Dan like this.
  13. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    That would be like asking, what gun to use for everything. While there might be one all round best trap type for catching all legal furbearers, one size does not usually work for all, just like one type of set doesn't always work for all animals. Location, as in travel range, has more to do with success than bait or no bait set types.

With cage type traps, I have almost always needed to use bait. While with foot hold or killer traps, blind sets have worked well for me - although with fox or coyote, a bit of urine or scent to get them to investigate the set would help.

So you are really asking, is there one type or size that fits all? And my answer would be, not usually one size, but possibly close to one type would work for most and that one type, if legal, would probably be snares. You would however need to change size of the loop and cable size for what critter you are after. Here is the kicker, you can also say the same thing about just about any other type of trap as well, choices could include, leg or foot hold, killer type, cage/box and snares and lets not forget the old dead fall and pit traps that are no longer legal at least not for most of us.

There may even be other types I have not touched on here, but one type over the other is more dependent on the situation and the skill of the person doing the trapping, also what target animal he/she is trying to catch.

pitw, coopersmith and searcher like this.
  14. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Nothing special. Just a little bump.

How To Build A Arapuca Bird Trap -Mantis Outdoors
    William Myers MantisOutdoors

Published on Jun 30, 2016
    Birds aren't going to just trap themselves. So grab some sticks and some cordage and knock one of these bad boys out.

15. coopersmith

searcher likes this.
  16. coopersmith

searcher likes this.
  17. coopersmith

pitw and searcher like this.
  18. pitw

I dang near needed a translator.LOL It may work for cats as I know not how smell sensitive they is or if open sets even work. No cats here.

19. coopersmith

Cats have a dead nose, thats you house cat, bobcat and lion. All the winter cat lure I use is full of skunk quill, so the cats notice it.

They are also real picky about where they put their feet. They like to walk on dry ground, w no moisture, even when its snowed. this limits them to particular areas during winter. That pan cover is the 'cats ass'.

20. searcher

Thought this would be a good bump.................

The Last Trapper (Le Dernier Trappeur)
    Carlos Porto

Published on May 26, 2013
    The art of living in harmony with nature.

For over 20 years, Nicolas Vanier, an untiring voyager in the coldest of climes, a veritable Jack London of modern times, has criss-crossed the wildest regions of the far northern lands. His travels include major expeditions in Siberia, Lapland, Alaska and of course Canada, where he recently undertook an incredible White Odyssey: 8600 kilometres covered with a team of sledge dogs, from Alaska all the way to Quebec. It was during that crossing, on the floor of a sumptuous and inaccessible valley in the Rocky Mountains, that Nicolas met the man who inspired him to make this film, a film that has lived within the man...

He's a 50-year-old trapper named Norman Winter, and he lives with a Nahanni woman, Nebaska. Norman has always been a trapper, with no need of the things that civilisation has to offer. He and his dogs live simply on what they produce from hunting and fishing. Norman made his sledge, snowshoes, cabin and canoe with wood and leather that he took from the forest and that Nebaska tanned, in the traditional style, just like the Sekani did in early times, using the tannin in animal brains, then by smoking the skin. To move around, Norman uses his dogs. They're quiet, and with them he's ready for action at the slightest sign of life, but all the while attentive to the majestic grandeur of the territories he passes through. That's why Norman Winter is a trapper. The Great North is inside him and Nebaska carries it within her, in her blood, for the taiga is the mother of its people...

Norman and Nebaska know that a land only lives through its intimate links with the animals, plants, rivers, winds and even colours. Their wisdom comes from the deep and special relationship they enjoy with nature. When Norman Winter follows an animal's trail, he studies it for a long time, to understand the animal's exact perception of its environment. He knows how to free himself from the immobile image that a land evokes, then to "enter" it by comprehending what it is. To understand that is to sense the unmistakable breathing of the earth, it's to understand why Norman Winter is the last trapper and why he turned his back on modern life, that he compares to a slope we slip down blindly. Norman is a sort of philosopher convinced that the notion of sharing and exchange with nature is essential to the equilibrium of that odd animal at the top of the food chain: Man.

That's what this film, made over 12 months, will present, overlaying treks on horseback during the Indian summer and by sledge in the depths of winter, a canoe ride down a raging river at the bottom of a majestic canyon and attacks by grizzly bears and wolves...

Goldhedge likes this.
  21. coopersmith

We are trapping skinning and stretching hides now. The market is looking fairly bad, with some notable exceptions. Heavy - clear colored coyotes will be in high demand. Demand for semi heavys will be determined by the number of heavy offerings. Any lower grades no demand.

Coons put up well, except for 4x and above, no demand.

Bobcat in our area, xl (46"+) fully prime, clear belly 75 to 100 frn.

If fur was any indicator, were in a depression.

FWIW, our friend pit will still get 125 usd for his good stretched pale hides.........:dancing guy

I expect hes got a plan to stetch a hundred.

What say you pit? Hows the dogs looking up your way?

Also thanks searcher for keeping this thread going......right on man!

stonedywankanobe and searcher like this.
  22. pitw

I sold 2 coyotes in the October NAFA auction that I found last spring under the snow outside the shop as it melted. Skinned them and sent them off only to get 80 USD each for them. If I drive 50 miles South the coyotes are much better than right around home here. Big game hunting season has just ended here so now the coyotes who are well educated to run and gun will settle down to dieing. Trapping now just plain sucks with freezing being a problem. Snaring will be good if we actually get some snow.
    The coyotes I saw dead down at the LBL made me shake my head in disbelief that these things actually went to market. Ours had more fur in summer than them did in winter.LOL
    I had a couple fellows over from Iceland hunting WT's and coyotes the beginning of November for a week. They each got a deer and 4 coyotes each too. The coyotes were all young of the year but 2 and not worth the effort of skinning so I showed told them what I would do with them and this was the result of one.
    [​IMG]

I also told them that the taste test was the best way to tell where to find them.:ponder:
    [​IMG]

Becky[cause I couldn't no how pronounce or spell his name] got this one while calling on a our pasture 1/4 over West.
    [​IMG]

This pic shows one Icelander telling the other how things went down and I never understood a damb thing.:hunt:
    [​IMG]

Just shortly before the last pic the one who did the shooting said a word I understood as he discovered his whizzy toy caera hadn't been turned on so that he had no video evidence of his hunt that he loves to share. He didn't appreciate how much I enjoyed this part of the excursion.:rotf:

Every two years I can take a foreigner hunting with a hunter host license which makes for a reasonable hunting trip as their licenses cost about $275Can and they just live with us so no added expense. Some day I or my sons will see Iceland in a way no tourist can.:thumbs up 2:

We have muskrats I ain't seen since the 70's with huts every where.

searcher and stonedywankanobe like this.
  23. Bushpilot

:hunt:Pits I'll put my name in the hat for that hunt!!!

coopersmith and pitw like this.
  24. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  25. coopersmith

Pit that yote you threw in the weeds will beat my top lot coyote every year. We dont get em that pale here. If I had to guess id say ill avg $30 per hide this yr. The market is fooked.

26. searcher

SCOUTING FOR BEAVER..
    Working Class Woodsman

Published on Dec 11, 2016
    My friend Brian and I checked out a new spot where beavers are threatening to flood a road.

coopersmith likes this.
  27. coopersmith

I bought 4 yotes today, grand total in the hide freezer will be 47 when these 4 are added. I have been up to the ass cheek with farm tax paperwork for the past 2 weeks, need to get out and start fleshing washing then stretching to dry. I Need to get these dogs boarded and ought of the way. There are 2 calling contests with in 200 miles in the next week, and ive got one bought for sure, ought to be another 35-50 dogs in that lot.

I havent even thought about getting my cat lines out yet, probably wont get on it aside from some scouting until after xmas. That is ok, cats prime real late. Our best cats here tend to be jan/feb hides.

regards, coopersmith

28. pitw

Your hide freezer must be a biggun. I bought coyotes from a hunting contest once and I never used so much thread in my life as them puppy's were shot to [L]. Never ever caught a cat but would sure try if I got the chance. Luck on your lines.

searcher and coopersmith like this.
  29. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

What use is for the coyotes? My favorite dish is pink beaver with a side of hairless cheeba.

30. pitw

Coyote fur is used for full length coats, mitt's, leggings and a whole whack of trim by people who like to be warm. It is pretty amazing to me that folks want to like non fur products for heat when they can see that it has worked for animals for about as long as there has been animals.
    I'd be awfully afraid of the pink beaver if I was you as them suckers can get right mean.

searcher and coopersmith like this.
  31. coopersmith

i have an 18 sq ft freezer I bought at a local auction, its plenty big enough. I bought 6 cotes this evening, will skin them tomorrow. Not looking forward to it, have joints rolled in preparation. I am going to be mighty tired when the dust settles. Im off to bed at 7:52.......lol

We sew with dental floss and a glovers needle (curved).

32. Bushpilot

Pits

Them freshly shorn beavers are outright ornery sometimes!

pitw likes this.
  33. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

Haven't trapped since high school, quit hunting 15 yrs ago, really don't miss it...don't allow hunting or trapping on my land...have no qualms with anybody that enjoys it, just not for me any more.

34. pitw

Everyone is allowed a choice.
    Mine is to keep one bullet for the time I can no longer go out and enjoy the out of doors.

35. coopersmith

Got em skint, I smell like shit.

:)

36. nickndfl

I grew up in South Florida where you don't see many fur coats. I used to hunt deer and birds in Michigan when I was married to my first wife, now I do the local hog hunt.

37. searcher

38. searcher

VLOG #273- Cooking a Cajun Squirrel Stew Recipe
    Yak Motley

Published on Dec 19, 2016
    In this VLOG, we are cooking a Cajun Squirrel Stew recipe. The recipe is excellent for just a few Squirrels. The recipe very closely resembles a Chicken Gumbo. We served it over rice and it was really good!

Please SUBSCRIBE and check out my other VLOGs as well. I am a life ADVENTURE VLOGGER. I do my best to post a video everyday. I make videos on what ever is going on at that time. Follow me on my daily video posts and adventures!

Follow me on Social Media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/YakMotley/
    Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/yakmotley/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/JackMotleyLive

Check out my website, gear and Apparel at : http://yakmotley.com

39. nickndfl

Come to think of it, your trapping is like our fishing or local lobster season.

pitw likes this.
  40. searcher

No trapping in this. Just thought it would be a nice bump for the thread.

No Hands, No Feet, Wild Hog Hunt!!! Deer Meat For Dinner
    deermeatfordinner

Published on Dec 14, 2016
    You'll never actually understand how determined or talented, Dayton Webber, is unless you spend a few days with him in the woods!!! what a special young man! I count it a blessing to spend time with him and many of the other youngsters I get to hunt with!
    That grilled backstrap was awesome with the Everglades original and cactus dust!!!
    https://www.evergladesseasoning.com/

Bama Country - Country by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...)
    Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-...
    Artist: http://incompetech.com/

Dirt Road Traveler by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...)
    Artist: http://audionautix.com/

{GRAPHIC!!!} How to Gut a Wild Hog!

Wild Pig Backstrap and with hand cut Cracklins! Deer Meat For Dinner!!