1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever taste a fresh paw-paw right off the tree ?

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by HardTruth, Sep 2, 2017.

1. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

I put a few paw paw trees in 5-6 years ago. Today was the 1st time I ever got to pick 2 of them and taste them. The flavor is unbelievable...very complex, very exotic , tropical , very delicious. Truly a hidden gem. These are much different then a papaya , but some people think the 2 are the same fruit.

2. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    A friend has them, they taste awesome! I have a couple planted but they are slow to grow and haven't started producing. No pests, but too soft to ship so no modern commercial market. George Washington's favorite dessert!

GOLDBRIX and Lt Dan like this.
  3. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Got a few growing here on the place.

Cigarlover and Oldmansmith like this.
  4. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Man I haven't had a Paw-Paw since my teenage years. This thread got my test buds tingling and great memories just reading it.

"Pick up Paw-Paws put 'em in your pocket..( repeat)." ( I forgot the rest)

5. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

I bought 4 trees, about 5 years ago. They were only 18 inchs tall..and about 2 years old. Two of them died . The other 2 grew and are about 5-6 ft tall , but never produced any fruit , until this year. One of the trees produced 4 or 5 pawpaws...but I damaged 3 of them, by touching them a few weeks ago { they fell off the tree, because I was inspecting them } . I picked the other 2 yesterday . I knew they were ripe because they smelled great and were kinda soft if you pressed them .

My wife and me got 1 each and it is 1 of those flavors, that knocks your socks off . Truly amazing. I got about 12 seeds from them and cleaned them and put them in organic peat moss, with some purified water then put em in a bag in the fridge for stratification. Hope to plant them in a few months and maybe they will grow.

If you ever get a chance to taste a ripe one, please try it.

Howdy likes this.
  6. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

are they producing fruit yet ?

7. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

A friend of mine up in Columbus said they grow all over the place in the parks. No one knows much about them so they mostly just fall off the trees. Going up this week to see if I can gather a few.

Lt Dan likes this.
  8. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

It has a taste that is truly unique and exotic. I have always thought a ripe peach, was 1 of the best tasting fruits, but the paw paw has now taken the #1 spot. Make sure the ones you eat are slightly soft when you press on it with your fingers. If they are unripe or over ripe, then the flavor is spoiled. Let us know what you think of the taste. I know it sounds silly, but tasting 1 of these for the 1st time, is something I will never forget.
    Don't eat the skin or the seeds ..just the pulp . They are a bit messy, but damn they are good.

9. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Yes, but daughter-in-law and granddaughters get 'em before I get around to get any. DIL does know where and when to find them in the wild, she usually brings some home and shares.

They do take a while to produce and do better in some areas than other. If you find some in the wild, others probably know about them too and so you will have to be very quick to get any.

Anyone interested can find plenty of information online for caring and growing them.

Cigarlover likes this.
  10. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    had pawpaws a lot when i was younger....we have been planting about 25 a year along our stream the last 3-4 years not producing yet .....just planting them in the wild like we do we lose probably 60% due to attrition....i was hopeing this year but none produced yet...

FWIW....the state of missouri sells seedlings extremely cheap once a year....this year the sale started SEP 1st.....out of staters can buy its just a little more costly but prices are unbeatable here is a link if anyone is intrested...be warned these sell out very fast...prices are shockingly cheap...they ship in a week you designate in the spring to your door

https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/tree-seedlings

birddog, Lt Dan and Cigarlover like this.
  11. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

wow..thanks for that link .

how tall are the seedling for paw paw ? They claim the price is only 80 cents per seedling with a minimum order of 10 . That is a great price.
    I paid $29.99 for each of mine..but they were about 18 inchs tall

12. ttazzman

if you notice the price per each drops in half if you order 25 instead of 10 so its basicly the same total price just twice the trees...each tree species comes a different height i think they are harvested based on age and obviously some grow faster ......

the pawpaws i have recieved in the past come as bare root seedlings and range between 6" to 12" tall

sometimes they will sell multi year seedlings that might be much larger but it will state that in the order form. the selection can change year to year ...popular items will sell out in less than a month

and YES that is the correct prices....it is a STATE conservation dept run program so its very REAL ....only can buy once a year(so dont procrastinate)......us instate buyers actually get a discount off of that price if we have a conservation #(on hunting permits)....seems like outa staters pay tax and some additional shipping

in the checkout process you get to pick the month and week of delivery feb-may 2018

here is how my order confirmation read

Species Qty. Wanted Qty. Allocated Amount
    Hazelnut 25 25 10.00
    PawPaw 25 25 10.00
    Silver Maple 25 25 10.00
    Order Sales Total 30.00
    Sales Tax 1.56
    Handling 8.00
    Shipping Charge 0.00
    Discount 4.50
    Order Total 35.06
    Total Paid 35.06

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    birddog, Lt Dan and Cigarlover like this.
  13. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

damn..I wish I woulda seen that about ordering 25 for the same price as 10...cause I just placed a order for 10 of them ..came to $26 total to ship......I actually want to give a few to my neighbors....what a great gift , to give a tree that has the best tasting fruit on earth IMHO.

ttazzman and southfork like this.
  14. ttazzman

they will come wrapped in a paper (waterproofed) package with the roots packed in wet moss ...i assume the shipping is expensive due to time sensitivity..if you notice on my confirmation in state shipping was free

Lt Dan and Cigarlover like this.
  15. Cigarlover

Thanks for that link TT. I just ordered 125 trees for 80 bucks.

Lt Dan and ttazzman like this.
  16. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Thought images would add to the discussion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

goldhedge...that is a paypaya....not a paw paw.

paw paw is different. ...PAW PAW IS THE GREATEST @! :}

paw paw has BIG seeds, for the relative small size of the fruit.

mtnman and Cigarlover like this.
  18. Cigarlover

I have 20 acres of forest here and the neighbors say there are paw paws out there. I'm going for a walk. :) y'll are makin me hungry

Lt Dan and ttazzman like this.
  19. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    We had a Paw Paw patch on the farm when I was growing up. You are correct they are delicious. Kinda like banana but different. One problem, once the Raccoons find them you won't get any! Persimmons are another great wild fruit, just don't try to eat one before the first frost!

ttazzman, Lt Dan and Cigarlover like this.
  20. HardTruth

HardTruth Seeker Seeker

The taste is so strong and exotic, I would imagine the pulp could be used in many foods...cakes, pies...ice cream. Heck, you could probably
    take a tablespoon of the pulp, mix it with 16 ozs of cold water...and it would taste delicious.

This is truly a food, that deserves more attention.

Lt Dan, ttazzman and Cigarlover like this.
  21. Cigarlover

Damn, they had persimmons on that link too. I should have ordered them as well.

Lt Dan likes this.
  22. ttazzman

I was like that the first few years ...ordered about 300 a year....gets to be a job planting them all in our rocky soils...we have put in walnuts..pecans..persimmons..hazel nuts..pawpaw...wild cherry...dogwoods...white oak.......i wish they did fruit trees.....its become a spring tradition

Cigarlover and Lt Dan like this.
  23. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

If you are looking for obscure fruit trees check out https://www.starkbros.com/

They are a small family outfit that has been around for a long time and they have a neat variety. Not cheap although they do run some good sales from time to time.

Cigarlover, Lt Dan and ttazzman like this.
  24. Cigarlover

Do the hazelnuts need a pollinator? I have plenty of fruit trees and almost 150 fig trees in containers that I hand water almost every day. Next year I am doing an irrigation system I think.

Lt Dan likes this.
  25. ttazzman

its my understanding they are wind pollinators......you work way harder at it than i do...we catch a wet day in the spring poke a hole in the ground out in the wild water it in from a tank on the pickup then its on its own......we to mark different species with small pieces of different colored duct tape in neon colors so i can spot them when i brush hog and know what they are as they grow

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Lt Dan and Cigarlover like this.