1. Stocks continue up, all is aok. Metals flat to weaker.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold is down 0.8 to 1260 while Silver is down 5 to 1714. Crude is down 49 to 5064. The USD is down 10 to 9677.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here cycle regularly on a MTB or hybrid?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Boating, HIking, Trapping' started by tom baxter, Jan 31, 2017.

1. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    I do 2 rides a week on a Giant hybrid roadie for fitness and have a MTB I will get into as soon as I can find some suitable terrain (and some spare time)

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  2. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

When I was young we had this neighborhood girl who was older than the rest of us, she 18 us around 12 or so. Her and 2 younger neighborhood boys came down to see if my bro and I could ride with them on the highway, making a 6 mile square they had rode for the first time the day before.

Momma said no fecking way were bro and i going along, so we rode with them until the end of the half mile of dust and watched in envy as they peddled off on the blacktop.

Fifteen minutes later we hear sirens of every sort echoing through the woods beside our place.
    As they turned right on 319 they were riding due west into a low hanging and blinding sun. No doubt that Anthony, my young bros best friend and pastors son, was enjoying his first taste of freedom.

An elderly woman driving west and surly peering into the same hot August sun ran off the road and killed all three of them. It didn't seem real until the funerals, it was tough on our whole community.

Tom, Anthony's father, who let him go, will never get over it. Me neither as it forever spoiled bicycles for me.

I cringe every time I see someone riding one on the highway.

Mountain bikes I could do.

Goldhedge, D-FENZ and Zed like this.
  3. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Sorry to hear than man. That sucks.

I get pissed every time I come upon some cycler riding slow as f**k in some back country road, twisty and curvy. They do not get how freakin dangerous it is for them. Plus it'd ruin not only their own life if they got injured/died, but also their family and the driver and drivers family. Then they inconsiderately just keep cycling in the middle of the damn lane around curves where no car can safely pass. How about you move over off the road for 10 secs asshat and let the other drivers by. Noooo...that'd be too considerate. Or better yet, stick to bike parks and off-road trails where you belong.

/rant off.

TAEZZAR, stonedywankanobe and D-FENZ like this.
  4. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

While I do understand your frustration, I have a bit of insight to the type of situation you describe here that might help you to understand why it happens.

In the situation you describe, the safest place for the cyclist is in the middle of the lane. This is for at least two good reasons. First, most lanes are not wide enough to safely accommodate both a bike and a car within the lane. Many vehicles are over 6' wide and you need to leave at least 3' between your car and the bike. Bike needs about a 3' foot strip at the edge of the road, and when you add it all up, it puts the left edge of your vehicle into on-coming traffic on a blind curve.

Do you really want to do that? Ask the cyclist to hug the curb so you can squeeze by, potentially causing a head on collision or possibly side-swiping the cyclist as you try to squeeze through without getting over a safe distance?

By riding in the middle of the lane in such a situation, it instantly lets the driver know there is not room to safely pass at that point unless a normal passing maneuver can be performed. Once you get past the curve, then they can ride about 2'-3' off the curb allowing the car to move over a half lane width to pass.

The second reason is that if you hold a DL in your State, that means you agreed to abide by your States traffic code and every State that I know of permits cyclists on most roads. Ie: they have a Right to be there that, at the least equals your Right to be there.
    ...and to infringe on the Rights of others is to ask that our own be infringed by others.

What we all have to realize is that sometimes other people exercise their Rights in ways we may not always agree with and at some point in life, we all get to be someone else's "other guy" that's doing the something they don't like.

5. tom baxter

Retired now
    I ride twice a week, once on Sunday morning around 6AM, my long ride, and there are no cars anywhere but I keep off the main roads. The oter ride is all backstreet on a circuit after 8:30 pm, It's easy to get yourself killed in traffic so the secret is don't ride in traffic. As for riding on the highway, that's just insane and asking for trouble but so many do it.

TAEZZAR, stonedywankanobe and D-FENZ like this.
  6. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

i hate cyclists and pedestrians when i'm driving a car. i hate cyclists and drivers when i'm walking. but i hate EVERYONE when i'm on a bike - especially cyclists.
    Thought it was funny when i heard it.
    I got a 25 year old specialized mountain bike that i ride. Strictly recreational and on back streets or off road. And i don't wear a helmet. Crazy as fvck i know

7. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    ... and mine is only 20 years old! You uld phart! I ride it every second day... but I hate those damn packs of road hogging arrogant shit head cyclists we get around these parts.

8. tom baxter

Retired now
    LOL. I hate cyclicts too because they run stop signs, like me on the bike (or motorcycle) When I'm on the bike I don't really hate anyone, too friggin busy ether planning a nice corner, looking out for cops or just keeping out of harms way. One day I might take a bicycle out for pure fun and recreation but ever since I began it has been all about exercise, pushing the boundaries, trying to get a little fitter without overdoing it. luckily I smoke a pack a day and that helps regulate my cycling. I'm no old woose though, 37km @ an average of 19.3 km/h over undulating terrain, real stats, not internet stats.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  9. Joe King

Lotta truth in that. Too many cyclists think none of the traffic laws apply to them and too many drivers (cagers) think that cyclists have no Right at all to be there. Combine the two and you're bound to see some hot heads.

To add to my previous post, all cyclists as well as drivers should always obey the traffic code. Just like there's no excuse for aggressive diving around peds and cyclists, there's no excuse for cyclists blowin' through stop signs and traffic lights.
    ...and the biggest reason it's important to ride in a wholly legal manner is because if you do ever get hit, I guarantee you that if the you can be shown to have been riding in any manner contrary to the traffic code, there is a strong likelihood that fault will be assigned to you the cyclist, regardless of anything the driver may have done wrong.

TAEZZAR and Zed like this.
  10. tom baxter

Retired now
    No, there is no excuse, but there is a compelling reason from my perspective, and that is it allows you to keep up the momentum of cycling. Most serious cyclists now use clipin style pedals and stopping, or more specifically, getting going again, is an inconvenience we like to avoid as much as possible. But, as you say, no excuse.

Most cyclists we see are on racers, what they like to call "roadies" but I ride a hybrid road bike which has much wider tires and allows me to easily ride up onto footpaths and even over moderate traffic islands. After reading your post and others I'm going to employ this technique more and bypass the 2 traffic lights I usually run through. It's quite legal to go up onto the footpath, skirt a traffic light and go down again and both of the ones in question are corners I turn at so it's not like I have to cross a road.

11. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I ride a MTB on the road BECAUSE it is harder and slower.... these roadies are too light, too easy. Heavy bike in high gear is much better exercise, speed and distance mean little, its about effort, resistance over aerobic exercise.

D-FENZ and historyrepete like this.
  12. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

These damned fools are too arrogant to understand what they are potentially causing on narrow roads. They act like the road is only for them. They ride side-by-side, when there is not enough room to safety pass by them.
    My only 3 ways to the coast entail narrow, twisting roads.
    I drive a 36 ft. motorhome with a boat behind it, 70 ft. total length & 50,000 lbs. & these hemorrhoids try to push me into the on coming traffic.
    Most of them are tree huggers & snowflakes !!!

13. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Couple years ago was getting a new bike for the wife. The salesman insisted that i needed to upgrade to the newer lighter frame and smoother components. He couldn't fathom my refusal as it was for exercise not leisure.

D-FENZ and Zed like this.
  14. tom baxter

Retired now
    Yes they are idiots, they aren't born idiots but they get into these cycling groups and there is always a lead idiot who convinces them it's wiser to take up the full lane and impress upon drivers that cyclists have rights on the road to. Well you might have government inferred Rights, but you don't have any natural Rights, and those are the only ones that count as far as your safety goes. I have heard first hand from people of 3 cyclists who have died in my city in the past year. I can't remember the last time I heard first hand about someone getting killed driving a car.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  15. Joe King

The reality is just the opposite. In America at least.

Here we have a thing called the Constitution that recognizes our inherent natural human Right to travel. Driving a motor vehicle, on the other hand and rightly or wrongly, has been reduced to a highly regulated and licensable privilege of the State. The exercising of a Right seems to me to be greater than the exercise of a mere privilege.
    ...and as I already noted in my previous post, the reason cyclists will "take the lane" as you describe it, is because oftentimes the lane is not wide enough to accommodate both a car and bike side by side, and if one has to get over to pass anyways, what difference does it make where in the lane the bike is? If the lane is greater than 14' wide, then yes, there is room to safely operate a bike over to the right leaving room within the lane for cars to pass. Problem is, around where I live the lanes are mostly 10' or 12' wide which is too narrow to safely share the lane.

By the time you add the safe passing distance to the width a bike needs, and then add in the width of a average vehicle, it puts you left of center. Why not just perform a passing maneuver when it's safe to do so? You know, same as anyone does when encountering a car moving slower than they want to go. Look to make sure it's safe, put the blinker on, merge over and pass. Then merge back into the lane.
    ....and don't think nothing of it, but put someone on a bike in that same spot and it becomes Oh.My.God!!!! The World is gonna end!!!!!!! lol.

Perhaps down under your version of Rights do not work the same as they do here. I dunno, never been there. Though I've heard the weather's nice.

16. Zed

Nuclear Technician
  17. Joe King

Yea, I agree, those kind of riders are idiots. We have group rides here called "critical mass" rides where it's a big free for all and they go out and ride like they are 5 years old. Ie: all over the damn place and going out of their way to violate traffic code. All they do is end up giving cyclists a bad name.

Zed likes this.
  18. tom baxter

Retired now
    Yes the weather is nice down here, and we have something akin to your constitution, but who wrote these documents? Who approved them? they are a government paper actually, and from what I have read about the US it's not law, it's easily put aside by those in power. You have certain guns banned/ we have certain guns banned. You had conscription for wars/ we have had conscription for wars. These are 2 basic human rights, the right to protect yourself by any means and the right to personal freedom. being forced to go to war in an asian jungle is not my idea of freedom.

But to clarify what I said earlier when I spoke of natural rights, I was referring to the right of a Grizzly bear to cross a stream and eat a few dozen migrating salmon as it does. The salmon on the other hand might be protected by some environmental law but they get eaten all the same. Power, size, aggression, these are the basis of the natural laws protecting us. On a road a car or truck is like a grizzly bear to a salmon and as the salmon hopes the bear doesn't see it, the cyclist hopes the truck driver does.

There are many salmon migrating up our roads

19. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    Below is a picture of one of my bikes, the other is a hybrid. I've got more than 15,000 miles on the road bike, mostly on bike trails or lightly traveled county roads in farming territory but, by occasional necessity, on two-lane highways too. The only highway that I will ride on is a few miles max on a low traffic two lane with a 6' paved shoulder outside of the white line. And then I pay a lot of attention to what's going on around me.

The best riding is on places like the Silver Comet Trail that runs from the west Atlanta burbs to the Alabama line, then name changes to the Chief Ladiga trail and runs into Alabama, a total pushing 90 miles.

[​IMG]Bianchi at Sunset by Tom, on Flickr

[​IMG]Chief Ladiga Trail by Tom, on Flickr

[​IMG]Chief Ladiga Trail by Tom, on Flickr

20. Joe King

In our case, the People did. In most other cases it's a matter of the gov writing docs that tend to keep itself in power.

It's not been set aside for cyclists. Drivers need permission from gov to do what they do. Cyclists, not so much.

There's a HUGE difference between here and there when it comes to guns. No comparison, actually.

You consider it a natural human Right to be conscripted?

I get what you're saying, but when you applied (asked) for permission to drive your car, you agreed to be bound by the local traffic code, not the rule of "mite makes right".

BTW, so none of what I posted about lane width limitations and requirements for safe spacing and passing distances make any sense to you at all, as to why you might encounter a cyclist in the lane ahead of you? I assume that you do care about the safety of the cyclists you encounter, and recognize that they too may have somewhere to be that they are simply trying to get to. Same as you.

21. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

My comments do not apply to ALL bicyclists, but it applies to way too many of them. Probably 75% of those that I encounter.

What you so obviously overlook is that a bicycle , up hill, is travelling 3 to 6 MPH, I come around a curve, uphill, at 35 MPH, both legal & safe, and encounter these hemorrhoids riding 3 feet into my lane, that is only 10 feet wide & I am 8 feet wide. I have fucking near hit them due to their arrogant stupidity !! It is NOT reasonable nor safe for me to slow down to 5 MPH at every curve in the road !! I think I will start a "safety" procedure of blowing my air horn when I approach an uphill curve on a tight road.
    Again, I am 70 ft. long & over 50,000 lbs. I nether stop fast nor maneuver fast, like a car.
    I am the same size as a cross country big rig.

The real problem is when 30 to 100 of these fools go on a trek & take over the whole road. They must be suicidal !!!

Now let me be a bit selfish. Vehicle owners have paid for these roads with registrations fees & gas/fuel taxes. Bicycles or non-motorized vehicles have not paid a single sent toward roads and therefore should use them with respect for those that have provided the roads for them to use for free ! But I guess I am asking too much for anyone, today, to have respect for others, let alone safety for themselves!!!

ROAD TO COAST..jpg

D-FENZ and Usury like this.
  22. Joe King

I agree, too many cyclists think the rules of the road don't apply to them.

So what you are saying is that if they are there at all, you need to get over and pass same as you would for any other slower vehicle. If the lane is 10' wide and your vehicle 8' wide, anything you encounter needs to be passed in the other lane.
    Edited to add:...and at that point it matters not where the bike is within the lane. Hugging the curb or right down the middle, it's all the same. There's not enough room in the lane and passing vehicles need to merge into the other lane to perform a proper passing maneuver. With a 10' lane, no matter what you do, it requires most of your vehicle to go left of center to pass virtually anything you may encounter.

That's a really good idea. Kinda like making noise while walking in the woods in bear country.

On flat road at 35mph you should need approx 150' to come to a complete stop. Less if traveling uphill.
    ...and you're not having to come to a complete stop, either. So @35mph, is it really asking too much to always know what's 150' in front of your vehicle?

Also, I was taught to never drive at a speed that would require more stopping distance than how far I can see. To do so virtually guarantees an accident should anything get in the way, because by the time it is seen it will already be closer than the distance it will take to stop.

They ride like that due to the perceived "safety in numbers" effect.

People that own bikes pay taxes too. Most of them also own cars and pay the same taxes you pay on your car.

Also, the public easement we call roads, is just that, public. It's how we all get around. If you think the roads in your area are inadequate for the amount of traffic, perhaps you should write your local gov Representative(s) to lobby for more of the funds you pay to be used to widen some of your local roads? It sounds like you could use that, wider lanes/more lanes.
    Also, are there any signs periodically warning motorists to be aware of cyclists on the road? If there are really as many cyclists on those roads as you seem to imply there are, it would seem reasonable that they at least do that if not widen the lanes a bit. 10' seems particularly narrow.

Edited to further add: did you know that it was cyclists that originally lobbied gov to start improving and paving roads at all?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  23. tom baxter

Retired now
    I am a cyclist, I started this thread in case you didn't notice? So I know all about lane widths, spacing, etc, and I know how the theory works in practice. I started this discussion to stimulate talk on our personal experience cycling, if you have such experience, by all means share it, but I won't be drawn into a debate on road safety or the like, everyone has their own opinion on that.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  24. tom baxter

Retired now
    I couldn't see the pix (perhaps my adBlock filters them) but I know the bikes. I have a great rail trail up near my rural property that's fun to ride, nothing like big long straights with no hills to get the satisfaction of spinning going. Most of my cycling is city based though. Luckily I live on the outskirts but there are plenty of safe sunday morning routes that lead right into and out of the CBD. The closer you get to the center the more bikeways there are and the better their surfaces are.

I have fitted all my bikes with SPD pedals of various grades, don't know why I bothered with the XT set though, they look cool but I suspect they don't make any difference to my riding lol.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  25. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    SPD's on my bikes too, SPD XT on the road bike but I agree with you that the chief purpose of the XT upgrade is to get more money from you. I can't tell the difference, they feel identical, clipped in is clipped in. I like SPD compared to the more "advanced" pedals like the road racers wear because I can easily walk in my SPD shoes.

I don't wear spandex.

[​IMG]Nice thing about being a bike rider in Florida by Tom, on Flickr

TAEZZAR likes this.
  26. TAEZZAR

Just to keep the record straight. I am NOT anti-bike, I am anti stupid. I am an old bicyclist from the 60's. I used to ride from Costa Mesa to Laguna Beach on PCH. (Calif.)
    We kept to the edge of the road, if we wanted to live. We also went the other way to Long beach. We had limited bike paths back then &
    we stayed on them.

D-FENZ and TomD like this.
  27. tom baxter

Retired now
    Not sure what spandex is? I don't wear lycra though, just running shorts and a cotton tank top and now winter is here an old dananese yellow and black nylon (or something ) motorcyle jacket. It's really light and incredibly warm too but you can unzip it to allow the late morning air in to cool you. I'm sure I could buy a better dedicated jacket but it would make me look like a wannabee Olympic racer, like all those guys cycling in lycra. I did try lycra once, it's like wearing an elastic bandage.

My bikes are all MTB Giants, starting from the mid ninties up to a current model Toughroad-1 I use as a roadie and a Talon-1 I use on the rough trails. My favourite though is a 1999 Giant Yukon I converted to a roadie which is easy for that era. It is aluminum with a rigid chromolly fork and a modernized drivetrain and thinner 70 PSI tires. I did thousands of miles on that beast over the years then stripped it to the bare frame and rebuilt it with new components.

28. TAEZZAR

I think it's those tight, form fitting, shinny pants.
    You guys make me laugh.
    I think my bike was a Schwinn Continental, it was a yellow 10 speed with an aluminum rack on the back.
    We wore Levis , a white T-shirt & Van's tennis shoes !!
    This was all back in 1965/1967ish.
    Thanks for the memories.

29. tom baxter

Retired now
    Hey it's never too late to get back on board. I know a guy in his eighties that does 25 mile rides every other day. Great for fitness/quality of life. have you ever considered it since the early days?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  30. tom baxter

Retired now
  31. TAEZZAR

Yes, I live on a logging road & it is also the only road to 3 parks, about 8 miles up. Week days we have log trucks & weekends we have drunks. The photo is the road I live on.
    When I ride my old mountain bike, it is during the week, with the log trucks !
    When I hear one coming, I pull off the road, sometimes I have to go over to the other side of the road.
    I call it SURVIVAL !!!

ROAD HOME.jpg

historyrepete and tom baxter like this.
  32. tom baxter

Retired now
    That's a beautiful road taezzar, but no, not too bicycle friendly. I don't know if I would ride it myself, the way you described it? I suppose if I had no other choice... Going to the other side is wise, I do it occasionally myself on two small sections of busy road I dogleg. If I see a car coming toward me though I just go up on the verge.

I know plenty around here on their $5000 carbon composite racers wouldn't hesitate to ride your road but they get killed like flies around here. Speed on a motorcycle (power) is a bonus and makes the rider safer if they use it judicially I believe, but on a bicycle it has the opposite effect. All it does (speed without the power) is draw cyclists into unsafe environments. That's one reason I stick to flat bar bikes with upright riding positions and fat tires. They slow you down to the point where you don't need to traverse 100 miles of blacktop to get the exercise you want. Interestingly the modern fatter tires have proven to have an almost equal frictional contact drag as super slim ones if inflated to their max rating. It's all due to less sidewall flex in them.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  33. Joe King

What do you do when there is on-coming traffic too? Doesn't seem like it'd be too safe to go left of center then, and there's no shoulder shown in your pic and those lanes look to be no wider than 12'.
    Which gets back to the math problem of trying to fit >14' of stuff into 12' of space, and do so at 40mph. It's a recipe for disaster. Which is why the cyclists needs to be out in the lane.
    If in the pic you posted there were a cyclist trying to ride the white line in an attempt to accommodate drivers, it would appear to many drivers that there is room to get by without getting over to pass. Which is when the cyclist gets side swiped. Better to be out about 1/3rd of the lane width on a road such as shown in your pic.

34. TAEZZAR

It is NEVER safe to get left of center ......................
    Joking, you missed it completely. What happens when a logging truck comes around the corner, just as you are coming up behind a biker, at any speed? There are roads that bicycles do not belong on ! This has been my point all along. Don't be a danger to yourself & others, bike where it is safe & fun. BTW these are 11 ft. wide roads & no standard vehicle is 14 ft. wide. My motorhome & boat/trailer are 81/2 ft. wide (legal max. w/o a permit & NOT considering MIRRORS) & when I meet a log truck it is full tilt on the pucker string, while my rear dual's are touching the white line.!!!
    The photo does not do the boat justice. It is 8 1/2 wide, 25 ft. long & 10,000 lbs. The entire rig is 70 ft. long. This is a hand full at times, thankfully I grew up in 18 wheel transfer dump trucks, so I can handle it - many cannot & that is another problem.

We have a saying for ocean going fishermen:
    There are old fishermen and there are bold fishermen.
    But there are few old, bold fishermen.

Replace fishermen with bikers !

2010 SEP 01 THRU 11 &  NEW SKIPPY 017 (Medium).jpg

D-FENZ and historyrepete like this.
  35. Joe King

People are supposed to drive at a speed that they are able to stop within the distance the driver can see. If there's a blind curve coming up, it's time to go as slow as necessary to have time to stop should something suddenly appear in the way.

Well, that's a matter for your local gov to decide. Perhaps you should mention the idea to them? There are cases where on certain roads for specific safety reasons, cyclists are prohibited from riding on.
    ...but as it stands now, they have just as much Right to be there as you or anyone else does, and could just as easily suggest to their Rep that the speed limit be lowered in order to help keep them safe. That's another option,no? Make everyone drive slower?

I thought you said that you ride your bike on that road sometimes? That you'd rather mix with the logging trucks than the cars? I'll even admit that I probably wouldn't want to ride on the road in your pic either, but it would all depend upon actual traffic density as to whether I would or not.
    ...and as for fun, everyone should remember that not everyone seen on a bike is just out bee-bopping around. Some people actually use bikes for transportation. Ie: they may be trying to get somewhere just as badly as everyone in their cars are.

I never said that any vehicles are 14' wide, but rather that a 14' lane is the minimum lane width that it is safe to operate both a bike and motor vehicle side by side within the width of the lane. Anything less than that requires a passing maneuver on the part of the approaching driver, as it is fully their
    responsibility to make sure they don't rear end anyone.

7' average width of vehicle added to 3' of separation between right edge of vehicle and left edge of bike = 10' which then leaves 4' for the cyclist. (2' on either side of the bikes wheels, which still ain't much)

Which is why you sometimes encounter cyclists in the middle of your lane if it is only 11' wide. If they hug the edge, they risk being side swiped by every vehicle that doesn't want to wait for a safe place to pass.

36. TAEZZAR

Best you re-read your post above, it is at the very least, confusing. As is all of your pro-bike statements.
    Go ahead & play chicken with the cars, trucks.

I'm outa here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. tom baxter

Retired now
    Strange reply? I ride well away from traffic. Like I said, Sunday mornings early when there is none to speak of. I don't play chicken with cars or trucks. I go on the footpath to avoid them.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  38. Joe King

How is it confusing? It's simple math. Ie: an exact science.

7' for the car, 4' for the bike and 3' of separation distance adds up to 14'.

14' is the minimum width that a lane can be where a cyclist and car can operate side by side within the lane. Ie: without the car having to merge into the other lane to pass as they be required to do when passing any other slower vehicle.
    ...and if the car has to merge over to pass anyways, what difference does it make where in the lane the cyclist rides? Because there's not room for both vehicles.

How is that, in any way, hard to understand? Many drivers just don't want to understand it, all they can see is a cyclist in their way.

If your road only has lanes that are 11' wide, the only safe place for the cyclist is pretty much right down the center of the lane, which is what drivers are complaining about. So I tried to explain why it is important for the cyclist to be out in the lane on a road such as you described.
    ...but too many motorists simply do not understand or care why they ride where they do. Ie: they don't care about the Rights of other road users, only their own.

Also, I'm just trying to impress upon the drivers that get angry when they encounter a cyclist in the lane, that they are there for a reason other than to simply slow the cars down.
    That reason is the cyclists safety and that they have equal Right to be there in that spot.

39. mubert42

mubert42 New Member

I like mountain biking because of the freedom it gives. Another best part is the speed while enjoying the scenery.

40. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I don't ride anything unless it has a motor attached.

319687_2222529681529_607076834_n.jpg
    13118890_10209384944166101_6699327746795786777_n.jpg