1. Potus out of town, all is pretty quiet for now
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Mon Morning! Gold catches a bid +2.7 to 1256, while Silver is +16 to 1696. Crude still moving up 48 to 5115. The USD is down 6 and breaks 97, 9696.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Apmex Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Mar 30, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

19 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. ** Two Star

7 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. *** Three Star

21 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. **** Four Star

63 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. ***** Five Star

145 vote(s)
    56.9%
  1. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Re: Don't Trust APMEX web page stock status

I got uncooked kernels, guess I didnt spend enough.

2. MoMoney

MoMoney Seeker Seeker

Re: Don't Trust APMEX web page stock status

Agree w/you on this Oldmansmith! I think it unfair to solely blame A***x on the ATB coin pricing debacle. At least A***X was first to offer it to their regular customers (a good thing) but the US Mint had placed an ambiguous pricing policy on the vendors!

3. silverblood

silverblood Gold Member Gold Chaser

APMEX has generally reasonable prices, an extraordinary selection of products, an excellent web site, smart, friendly, and efficient people, top notch packing and shipping, and they are a dead nut honest and reliable vendor. I buy from several sources, but APMEX has gotten the lion's share of my business, and they will continue to get my business in the future as long as they continue to do such a great job. Five star.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. southfork

Iv'e bought from them in the past, have only got good service but this deal with the 5 ounce bullion coins leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 95% of my buys are at brick and mortar stores and coin shows. That being said if they have something I especially want I would buy again but will look for alternative dealers now.

5. winslo

winslo Seeker Seeker

I ordered two 14K Gold Plain Front Coin Bezel. They were suppose to fit a 1/10 GAE but they were two small. Lady at APMEX said to send them back for a refund which I did. Finally got an e-mail saying they had been recieved and they would send my refund in a week. Three weeks later I placed a phone call to check on the holdup. Left my number on an answering machine. Two days later sent an e-mail because of no reply to my phone call. Got a reply back "so sorry will send check out right away." Got the check today and they nicked me for origional shipping and handling charge. APMEX goes to the bottom of my list.

6. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    It will be interesting to see if APMEX management that frequent GIM contacts you via PM to make this right (hint, hint).

7. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

If memory serves me correctly, APMEX hired a new C*O. I can't remember what the "*" stands for. The new man(if I recall correctly) served with Collectors Universe. Collectors Universe, again JMHO, publishes wild "High Side" retail prices for the "Sucker" market. Caveat Emptor?

8. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Yeah, A*M*X is taking it on the chin lately and rightfully so. Their premiums are no longer palatable and competitive now. These jokers think they are the Walmart of PM's. With a new CEO and building previously owned by the fed, something definately changed for the worse. Bye bye A*P*X, you will no longer be getting business from me unless something changes for the better real soon.

9. Spike

Spike Gold Member Gold Chaser

Apmex has gone down the road of Gieco Ins and many others...overload amount of advertising..who pays...you do.

RIP Apmex

10. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

APMEX, MONEX, Is there a difference? Just curious.

11. Spike

Spike Gold Member Gold Chaser

"Just curious"

off topic...

ya catch any baja fish?

12. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Coupla nice reds! Still gunna git ya to guide me to sum trout! ;)

Spike likes this.
  13. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I used to send $20-30k per year to APMEX, but last year it was only $5k and I still didn't get any popcorn! lol
    Anyway, My main gripe is the premiums these APMEX people are charging is insane! I can do much better on my local dealer and so APMEX lost out on $25-30k in sales last year and will probably lose that much or more this year, the boss is making noise about record profit sharing this year!
    C'mon Apmex, if you like being 3rd or 4th on the speed-dial then just ignore us. But I wish you hadn't fired Scott!

Have a great y2k11

14. Cornelius

Cornelius Gold Member Gold Chaser

Was Scott the person that used to write emails in this forum? Why was he fired?

15. j-son

j-son Seeker Seeker

optometrist
  16. silverblood

silverblood Gold Member Gold Chaser

APMEX premiums are very high, and I've started buying from other less expensive sources as a result. But APMEX still carries just about the best selection of items you could hope to find under one roof. They have that going for them.

17. AuNuggets

AuNuggets New Member

Scott is still Chairman of the Board and Founder of APMEX

18. SNICKLE 1980

SNICKLE 1980 Seeker Seeker

after moving to a location without a great local dealer, i've been using apmex for about a year. with purchases under 4 figures, the CC fee with shipping is a bit much...but over the past five years, this board has rated apmex among the top in regards to speed and reliability. recently i got my goods within a within a few weeks during a blizzard. not bad. if i can find another reliable company with years of good ratings, speed of delivery and a lower price, i'll naturally switch dealers. in the meantime, the service is good and i'm willing to pay the price so i cant complain!

19. southfork

He wasn't fired, he is among the missing since they tried to rob everone on the ATB 5 ounce coins. I guess they wont be carrying any GIM rounds in the future.

20. ~BS

~BS Gold Member Gold Chaser

He's probably referring to the crackdown on advertising that I think occurred late in GIM1's existence or early in GIM2.

21. ~BS

They want you to pay with cashiers check. Check takes a while to process. They get charged a fee for credit card transactions, hence the extra fee, not to mention the chance of chargebacks. Most PM dealers will take cashier check, MO, or bank wire only.
    ----------------------------------------------

So APMEX screwed up one of my orders. I sold items to them items that they received a month ago, however they have not yet sent payment.

To make up for it, they voluntarily decided to give me current prices on the sale. There's probably a 20% difference between the price now and the price from a month ago.

22. inorganic

inorganic New Member

scientist, engineer, inventor, product developer
    I've purchased from 3 different places, and APMEX was far and away the best. No need for me to look further.

Goldhedge likes this.
  23. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

24. southfork

Just noticed their buy price on the 2010 ATB set is 1100 bucks, flea bayers are paying 1400 and up.

25. ccjoe

ccjoe Gold Member Gold Chaser

commodities investing
    So they gave you 20% less as the price is less NOW???
    Don't understand?

26. ~BS

"Now" was in march, I believe. Originally I locked in february or something. Forget what the spot prices were at, but it amounted to several hundred dollars more than what I locked in on the PO since the prices were on an upswing earlier this year..

27. RunningScared

RunningScared Seeker Seeker

I've only purchased from 2 dealers and APMEX is BY FAR the better of the two.

The one thing that pisses me off though is how every single box they ship to you has "APMEX" "APMEX" "APMEX" "APMEX" printed all over inside.

As if I want my neighbor, the garbage man, and the rest of the world to know (when recycling the cardboard) that I am buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of PMs. Even though they are stored elsewhere, I don't want anyone getting ideas. Why advertise that you might have a lot of valuables in your house?

So I have to painstakingly cut away the panels with "APMEX" on them and recycle those in an alternate location (like sneak it in the recycling bin at work).

It's a real pain in the ass.

28. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

LOL! So I'm not the only one. I peel off the layer that has the APMEX printing on it and run it through my shredder.

grooveboi likes this.
  29. collector

collector New Member

glasswork, semi-retired
    they used to be OK 4-5 yrs ago when they sold all kinds of coins. opened an account with them 2yrs ago but have never ordered because I can ALWAYS find bullion cheaper elsewhere. fancy website and lots of advertising mean nothing to me. several other dealers have great service and lower prices and shipping costs.

30. Snow

Snow Seeker Seeker

I like APMEX. If you order enough from them you get a special preferred customer status ( like VIP), and only pay 10 bucks for shipping each time you order, irrespective of the amount.. So they look out after their customers who keep coming back and ordering. From a business perspective, shipping one or two bars is as expensive as shipping a monster box, if you look at the insurance bit. The preferred status and paying by wire or check, is cheaper than most other dealers when you add the insurance costs and etc. Tulving has a similar status with their minimum to order rules. They weed out a lot of the one or two bar ordering guys. It's a market, so certain fees and minimums forces you to save and order more product, thus you get more bang for your buck, or you have to choose a dealer who is cheaper for the little guy. I don't think they deserve to be bashed. They have also listened to their customers about pricing, and have offered some amazing deals recently. No one ever talks about that, and the 99 cent over spot flash sales. Pretty awesome, Hard to beat those cool flash deals!I like these guys! Selection is second to none. My only complaint is I wished they carried monster boxes of Chinese Pandas! two thumbs up!

SongSungAU likes this.
  31. goldandcountry

goldandcountry New Member

Ordered some gold fractionals recently as I thought I would give them another chance after some quality issues last year plus the crazy pricing they were asking. Recently, I have noted their premiums have been much more reasonable at least on some items. Anyway, when I received product, many of the pieces were badly spotted despite description stating no spotting unless specifically noted. I complained and asked for replacement or substitute. Instead they offered credit towards future order if I returned the pieces However, at this time they do not have any similar size gold fractionals in stock with same or similar premium so they effectively want me pay more for their mistake. While I do appreciate the new $10 shipping rate for good customers, they are the only dealer who still holds my checks for 10 days even after I have placed dozens of orders over the past few years. So what is with Scott not being able to post here any more yet there a big APMEX ad at the top of this page? I thought this site was non-commercial? Has something happened?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  32. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Nice to have another choice like them.

Always first class.

33. ccjoe

ccjoe Gold Member Gold Chaser

commodities investing
    Sorry BS I'm brain dead as I should have noticed the date. Getting old here on the cape:(

34. goldandcountry

goldandcountry New Member

To follow up on my problem with APMEX, they did finally do the right thing and replace the spotted gold with equal items although I did have to return them at my expense as they never mentioned reimbursement (and I did not push it) for the return cost. I am satisfied.

35. Espada

Espada Seeker Seeker

Oil & Gas
    Last week ordered some silver Libertads, when the spot was high Thirties, using the credit card I always have used with them.

Today got an e-mail saying "disapproved," because they couldn't verify the address on the card, which is the same as it has been for years. Rechecked my order to insure I hadn't made a typo; had not. Explained that. Sorry, still "disapproved because of unverifiable address."

OK, whatever, I'll use a different card. Sure, you can put your order in today ( @ about 9 % higher than I ordered initially). Explained that, and that it was not right, as I'd placed a bona fide order at the old price.

Tough toenail, can't help you. The order was cancelled, and so is my relationship with APMEX.

36. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Was recently sent a non silver round in a generic silver purchase. Simple phone call and had a return slip sent right too me and received the replacements soon after no ?'s asked.

37. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

When I had to have a proof double Sovereign they were the only place that had them, shipped fast and secure.

The $49 over spot is forgotten now as the coin is worth $160 more than I paid for it a couple months ago.

I prefer buying locally but it's great to have a solid company to deal with that has a vast selection.~:ok:

38. RunningScared

After many, many, many purchases with APMEX I'm becoming dissatisfied.

My last order was quite blemished, IMO. Maybe that is their fault, maybe not -- but I don't think they should have let some of the things I ordered out the door. Regardless, I don't have time to do an exchange, so I just kept what I received -- kind of a bummer with you drop over $10K in hard earned money, but as long as it sells like any other bullion, I guess that's all that counts and it is not the end of the world.

The LAME thing, however, is that I did a review of the coins I ordered, on their site, and they are NOT posting my review. It appears that they only post 4 or 5 star reviews (pretty much 5 stars is all you'll find). Dude, that is MEGA lame. What the hell good are reviews if you only post the favorable ones???!?!?!?! GRRRR!

Also, their mark up is getting INSANE.

So today I tried someone new. I ordered a significant amount of stuff from a local dealer who is very, very attentive. It's a bit more of a hassle because you have to phone in your order, and they are extremely busy (and talk crazy-fast on the phone like they just drank 5 Red Bulls), but they seem very dedicated to making sure their customers (and potential customers) are happy.

And the best part is their prices are way less than APMEX. Like on silver bullion today, I saved $1.27 per oz (over APMEX)!! PER OZ!

Oh, and free shipping too. And I didn't have to spend 40-50K before FINALLY earning free shipping, like at APMEX either!

They also have a referral program, a newsletter, etc. Once I get my order and see how the whole process turned out I'll post a review of these guys.

Not to bash on APMEX too much though....

I mean, they are very trustworthy -- YOU WILL GET YOUR PMS when you order through APMEX. Admittedly, peace of mind is worth a lot, especially when you are just starting out. And the shipping times are decent (unlike NWTM). The webiste is top notch. And you can place an order on their site at any time, without having to call on the phone. And they do small orders, so dollar-cost-averaging is possible every month -- not all sites do small orders. So, there are still many good things to be said for sure. And of course, once you spend enough you get free or reduced shipping too.

39. ~BS

^

Great review. Care to elaborate what was blemished with the order?

To me, govt minted bullion, whether gold or silver should be AU/BU. If it's not, then you should raise an issue. I know they have separate categories for impaired govt. gold. Impaired silver, I believe they just treat it as generic. When you try and sell back impaired items, you'll likely only get spot at best.

Aside from that, bullion is bullion, at least IMO. I know there was a big issue on the old gim because some bullion bars weren't as pretty as portrayed on the website. I've made the mistake of paying extra for bullion with cool designs. But in the end, unless they're comex brands (JM, Engelhard, CS, PS, etc), it's all going to sell the same.

40. RunningScared

Here's the thread I posted a couple weeks ago.
    http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthr...Should-I-exchange-for-different-coins-bullion

The Maples were banged up, poorly minted, and full of milk spots -- OK fine -- not APMEX's fault. APMEX probably never even opened the tubes so they wouldn't have known. Poorest quality bullion I've ever received, but oh well.

I was a lot more disappointed that they passed on some poor quality PAMP SUISSE bars to me. I bought many before, but all the three in that order had some significant blemishes. I think APMEX should have sent them back to PAMP, or who ever their supplier is, not passed rejects onto customers.

That's just me.

I guess as long as I don't have a problem selling them... who cares. Still... the freaking price you pay... you would expect some decent stuff, not an entire order of significantly blemished products.