1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Are FoodSaver bags ok for long-term storage?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Merlin, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I got a free 5-pound bag of white rice today and decided to reuse some FoodSaver bags that have become so small they're difficult to use. With the white rice, though, those reused bags worked perfectly. I wound up with half a dozen FoodSaver bags stuffed with rice and hard as a brick, nearly all the air having been sucked out :) -- as well as a pint jar that I can work out of now.

Question is, how long will the FoodSaver bags last? This was not their intended purpose, after all. Do I need to freeze the rice now, LOL?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    TAEZZAR likes this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Freezing the rice will kill any bugs & eggs in the rice (all rice has them). Freeze hard, for 3 days, then thaw & store in a cool dry place. The rice should be good for a min. of 5 years.
    Next time use some oxygen eater packets to remove any residual oxygen. Doing this should double the expected shelf life.

Merlin and Cigarlover like this.
  3. #48Fan

#48Fan Silver Member Silver Miner

I prefer to use mylar bags for long term storage. Definitely use the anti oxygen packets.

Aurumag, Merlin and TAEZZAR like this.
  4. phoneman

phoneman Silver Member Silver Miner

Can be dry canned in the oven. I have done this for beans and rice. Supposed to last for 20yrs or more. Heat from oven kills the bugs and eggs. Put caps on the jars while hot and they will seal same as being canned. Got the information off the net from a doctors wife.Her video is about 27mins long. Also heard from several sources about freezing for 3 days to kill bugs and eggs. Then vacuum sealing the rice.

TAEZZAR and Merlin like this.
  5. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    If you use the Foodsaver sealer (just the seal not the vacuum) with a Mylar bag and O2 absorbers, you get a vacuum effect. I also use the freezing technique for flour, whole wheat flour, cereal grains like oatmeal, rice, brown rice etc before packaging. I was given a bunch of free old fashioned oatmeal when Hubby was working on the prototype line for gluten free General Mills cereals and they have lasted 3 years now packaged that way.

TAEZZAR and Merlin like this.
  6. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    Another tip for Foodsaver bags...buy nuts in large packages when on sale (usually after harvest season of the particular nut and right after Christmas). I repackage in 3 oz bags, vacuum seal and freeze them. I have walnuts and almonds from three years ago that taste completely fresh. We ate all the pecans and pistachios within two years so I need to look for a really good sale.

TAEZZAR, phoneman and Merlin like this.