1. Stocks try to regain their footing, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is up 5.5 to 1252, while Silver is up 16 to 16.75. Crude is down 16 to 4408. The USD is down .09 to 9600
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Are physical 100 dollar bills trackable?

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Silvergun, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Silvergun

Silvergun Silver Member Silver Miner

Land Surveyor
    I recently was surfing the web and noticed a couple commenters advise not to have a large stack of the new 100 dollar bills because the special strip on these bills are trackable. They specifically advised not to have large stacks of 100s because they could be detected from the street and possibly make you a target. Tin foil hat? Paranoia? Bs? Any truth to this?

I did some searches online and everything I found declares the blue strip is a counterfeit prevention method. Lots of fact websites including the liberally slanted snopes saying the tracking theory is bogus and it is indeed solely intended as counterfeit prevention measure.

So what say you guys? Do you think large amounts of 100 dollar bills can be tracked? Is it bogus? Should you not have the new 100s as a cash stash?

I thought it was an interesting topic that we could discuss. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I would worry more about that cell phone you have than the $100 bills in your mattress. The strip looks like a plasticy film attached to the paper, I don't see any wires that could be used to induce a current that would power a transmitter. So I cut about 1/8" off the edge and burned it, there was no metal or wires left, just ashes.

3. Buffalo

Buffalo New Member

I have microwaved a $20 bill and it burns out Andy's eye like there is metal in there

bh02 and gringott like this.
  4. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I'm laughing, thinking about all the GIMMERs who rushed to microwave their twenties just now

Nickelless, Rcpb2000, Usc96 and 7 others like this.
  5. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Trade them in for coins. Lessee a 100 dollar coin would be about 18 inches across? LOL

Molon Labe

SC

6. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    Buy a faraday cage bag

Mujahideen and Aurumag like this.
  7. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

8. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

It only seems that way because the cops have become so efficient at extracting large stacks of 100s from those who carry them. Usually it is accomplished with some sort of deception on the part of the highwaymen, and in most cases without so much as a search warrant. The practice always has the blessing of the courts because any confiscated loot is divied up between the thieves and the juristictions that pay the judges. It is then up to the victim to try to recover the stolen money in the court that would benefit.

Many of the victims have obtained the money nefariously but many do not. Those in on the theft racket don't care. Many police departments obtain most of their funding through this thievery. The amount of money involved is absolutely astounding.

If you are carrying any amount of money for god's sake observe the traffic laws and make sure that your equipment is functioning properly. Use a dash-cam. And above all, know and assert your rights. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

Po'boy, stoli, Rollie Free and 2 others like this.
  9. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

As I live on the SE "drug highway" I was told by a LEO when I was still employed by DOS, they have a hand held "gun" that can be used to detect large amounts of cash in a passing vehicle. I do not know the range nor was I able to see the device. BS? I do not know, but with the huge amount of "civil forfeitures" occurring on the highways, it would be wise to believe so.

Silvergun and Krag like this.
  10. D-FENZ

Only they call it a service weapon, likely a 9mm or a 45. Similar to the ones that are used to rob convienience stores or banks. As with any larceny, a little firepower and the threat of pain or death goes a long way.

Seriously, a device that detects a stack of paper through metal doors? At highway speeds? Pfft.

Nickelless likes this.
  11. Krag

The state troopers would have to have probably cause for pulling a vehicle over, if their high tech devices fingered a car with abnormal signals, and many of the cops are equipped with devices designed to interdict those with stacks of cash or nukes, you get pulled over and ask what their probable cause is? If the case gets to court with an unreasonable search, surely there would be legal recourse with a good lawyer.

12. D-FENZ

Nukes can be detected most of the time. Paper- never.

Even machines that are fed bills designed to validate them at the point of sale in stores are not always accurate. But the idea of a detector for paper money from outside a moving or even stationary vehicle is pure fantasy.

Of course dogs can be trained to indicate false positives for just about anything, including drug residue that is supposedly present on most money- but that is another matter.

13. blueice

blueice Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Aggun, just keep the new bills in a metal box.

14. D-FENZ

The bills are already in a metal box. It's called a car. I really hate to belabor this point but the remote detection just can't be done within or without a metal box.

In 2003, C-130 cargo planes delivered 363 TONS- 12 BILLION DOLLARS in $100 bills, shrink-wrapped onto pallets into the middle of an army that has the most advanced technology in the world. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/feb/08/usa.iraq1 Without even clicking the link, you know what happened. It VANISHED. That kind of cash should be detectable from space with the naked eye, but no one knows where it went.

Put another way- If it were possible to detect cash through the side of a moving metal car, it should be child's play to detect say, a bank robber, or drug dealer's loot in a wooden house by simply cruising down the street with one of those detectors. Yet that has never been done nor can it be done.

Show me a patent or a company that makes one of those. Surely there is a court case someone can reference that introduced a device like that as evidence. Anything and I will humbly eat the crow AND the ass of a menstruating skunk.

Nickelless and blueice like this.
  15. Silvergun

Land Surveyor
    In theory they need probable cause, but do you think they really care? Not to mention the countless laws on the books now its not difficult to conjure up some type of violation. Goodluck fighting them in court under their "system"

16. Krag

Boston T. Party in his books goes into the law on probable cause. If the cops can see something in the car that is PC; also a geiger counter going off the charts would be PC.

17. Silvergun

Land Surveyor
    Thanks for posting this. This is more or less what I read on a different forum that sparked my curiosity and lead me to creating this thread. I do not hoard large stacks of $100s nor do I recommend doing so. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to see if people believe this technology exists. If said technollogy does exist I would think it would be secret and that efforts would be put fourth to deny the existence of it.

18. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Silvergun, I remember people claiming that even $20 bills had a RFID chip in them and that if you placed them in the microwave that the RFID chip would explode. I never tried it. If you are concerned about the $100 bills (or any denominations), take a few samples of each denomination and try it in your microwave? As long as the bank can still read the serial number on the FRN, you can still exchange it in for an undamaged one.

[​IMG]

blueice and Silvergun like this.
  19. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I thought that a faraday cage had to be grounded? Now rubber tires (insulators) would make your vehicle not a faraday cage. I have seen some cars dragging ground straps on the road but I hardly think that is a good ground 100% of the time. Also if your car was truly a faraday cage your cell phone would not work while you were in it.

Now imagine if those bills are just slightly radioactive or if the strips inside them vibrate at a certain frequency when hit with a signal.... There are other ways I can think of too but do not want to give them any ideas if they are not already in practice...

20. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    I
    No ground required.

I have a farady cage iPhone case so it's cant be tracked unless I take it out to use it. Kind of inconvenient for incoming calls but come to think if it, I like having the control

also have one for the iPad.

I've tested by trying the track my iPhone and also by trying to call it

21. Alex Lemas

Alex Lemas Seeker Seeker

retired
    What works real good is one of those coffee bags you get your ground coffee in. Metal lined perhaps aluminum.

22. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Microwave it, it will kill any chip on the bill.

23. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    n' da germs as well !

searcher and blueice like this.
  24. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I'm just thinking maybe they make them slightly radioactive and when you put a bunch of them together its like a beacon calling out to them. Does anyone here have a Geiger counter to check this out ?

25. honu5050

nunya
    well they probably do have a trace element etc or had tried a trick or two cause I seen a ditty on the news were a women had bout a million under her garage floor which was cement n' they found it . now whether that was via a traceable mean's such as a strip in the bills or another means I dont know . but looking at the burnt microwaved bills in this thread would tend to think that they can . hell the atom was split so long ago, n' science has progressed to the point we have to second guess bout everything n' then that falls under psy war trickery leading to blindness if you think too deep. personally I'd have to say yea its feasible.. IF its not costly ! cause one thing 100% is they are cheep sob's. :Mornin:

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  26. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    That settles it,

The stash goes into a faraday cage and the faraday goes into a lead lined trunk, deep enough the metal detectors and ground penetrating radar can't see it ;)

27. blueice

blueice Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

D-FENZ, you are more than like right..Besides, I would never think
    of putting you through the trauma of a close encounter with a skunk even if I could. :laugh_m:

28. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Any currency bill is able to be tracked just by its serial number and optical character recognition (OCR) technology. No RFID strip required.

29. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Sure at point of purchase or at bank. I think this discussion is a bit more than that.

30. honu5050

nunya
    looks like the cia pentagon cash made it to market after all ! xxx1 :haha:

31. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

All currency eventually winds up back at a "legitimate" retail location or a bank eventually. TPTB don't need to track each bill in detail they can extrapolate from the movements of such bills from money center to money center and the average time those bills take to "resurface" again.

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  32. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Exactly.
    Years ago, there were people who tried to say the same thing about the small mylar strip inside the paper when it first was used, too. That it could be tracked, somehow. Supposedly police could detect it, airports had scanners for it, etc etc etc. Same ol' same ol'.