1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Are Platinum Philharmonics undesirable?

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Gstack, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Gstack

Gstack New Member Seeker

I just ordered a couple platinum coins from Provident, and I noticed something odd. The number of coins they have in stock varies drastically from one coin to the next, with at least 10,000 Philharmonics in stock, but only 40 of the 2017 Eagles, just 5 of the random date Eagles, 100 of the 2017 Maples Leafs, and only 6 random date Maple Leafs. Also, they show a buy-back price for other coins, but not for the Philharmonics. Don't they want those? Are they generally undesirable somehow?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    im guessing the 10,000 pt phils is a inventory error.....i own a lot of PT and its always been a pretty strange bird pricewise....US people do seem to prefer Eagles but maples..phils...aussie coins all seem to trade fine by my experience

i pretty much buy lowest premiums possible because its very hard to get those premiums back when you sell PT

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    gringott likes this.
  3. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

After having gained some familiarity with eBay and US Mint transactions, I would now venture to say that special issue US Mint coins are the way to go for platinum stacking (and palladium, once the palladium eagle is released).

There are more than a few people in this forum who have done well buying the limited issue platinum eagles from the Mint in recent years. I just hope that I will catch the window to buy the next platinum and/or palladium special issue coin from the Mint.

The part where eBay matters is being the means by which you can harvest the premium you won by successfully buying your special issue coins at a lower premium than you can potentially sell on eBay.

4. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

If you want a bullion play, but uncirculated platinum eagles, or maples, philharmonics, or platypus.

If you want to collect with platinum buy the proof Eagles. They have a different reverse every year.

5. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Yes everybody hates them. If you have any that you need to dispose of I will take those burdens off your hand and I will only charge a small re-homing fee of 5$ each.

gringott likes this.
  6. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I like the Australian plat a lot. Nice 3dish design.

7. Gstack

Gstack New Member Seeker

Do you have any idea as to why Provident doesn't even list a buy back price? They show it for other platinum coins, except for the Eagles where they say you need to call for a quote. For the Philharmonics, they don't even say that. It makes it sound like they don't want to buy them from people. That's part of why I got the idea that they were somehow undesirable.

8. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
  9. Gstack

Gstack New Member Seeker

It appears Apmex isn't interested in buying them either. In fact, they don't have any platinum products listed on that page.

10. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    i would imagine as with most companies.......with limited capital and a low volume product no need to buy what you allready have plenty of stock of.........as with any PM coin you can always sell to a refiner for spot minus costs .....

11. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

What he said. They will buy them when they are short on stock. Platinum looks very attractive these days at these ratios... just saying' - 2c