1. Stocks take a break, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tuesday Morning! We have Gold up 5.4 to 1251 while Silver is up 7 to 16.64. Crude is also up 44 to 43.82. The USD is down 52 to 96.59
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

ATB 'P' Mint Mark Coin Thread

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by chief, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The current mintage of the Blue Ridge "P" coin stands at 16,936 as of August 9, 2015. I do not plan to buy the "P" version of this coin but I plan to watch it (and the bullion version) very closely since I consider this puck to be the best one for 2015 IMO.

2. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    When I last checked the US Mint website, that Blue Ridge "P" coin is still available on their site. I also noticed that the various major online dealers that have them in stock are now selling the Blue Ridge bullion version puck for anywhere between $120 and $147 depending on how many a person buys and how they pay for them. I do expect the "P" version to continue to increase in premium as a result of the bullion version increasing in premium. I know that it is still early and the Bombay Hook and Saratoga pucks have not been released but I am still going to call it right now by saying the following.......Even though the mintage is relatively high at 45,000, I still hold on to my belief that the Blue Ridge Parkway is the best design and most popular puck for 2015 by a longshot. I am sticking to that and the premium from this point on will reflect that.

3. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

One thing to ponder, if they are having issues with obtaining blanks for the Silver Eagles, would they not have the same issue with Pucks? The remaining 2 coins for 2015 could be low mintages as a result, who knows? Question for you guys, how much more are you willing to pay, for a slabbed Puck? Seems most Pucks are in the MS69 range, unless they have major scratches. If you are buying a coin sight unseen, how much more is it worth, for a slabbed coin where you already have a stated grade?

4. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

One thing to ponder, if they are having issues with obtaining blanks for the Silver Eagles, would they not have the same issue with Pucks?

INVHO YES, of course... MAY be raw supply problems who KNOWS?

The remaining 2 coins for 2015 could be low mintages as a result, who knows?

IMVHO That's l@@king ahead with two eyes...

Question for you guys, how much more are you willing to pay, for a slabbed Puck?

IMVHO More than raw depending upon the mintage and the coin...

Seems most Pucks are in the MS69 range, unless they have major scratches.

IMVHO TRUE almost always...

If you are buying a coin sight unseen, how much more is it worth, for a slabbed coin where you already have a stated grade?

IMRVHO For later; when you have to part with them they are easier to part with slabbed than doing it much later yourself - and inflation
    will increase the slabbing service prices. NGC or PCGS is OK. Check the prices for slabbing and add that in when figuring what
    "YOU" want to pay for "WHAT" YOU want...

Hope that helps - HS

Hang in there come October we might see something...

90%RealMoney likes this.
  5. 90%RealMoney

Thanks HS. I meant to post these questions on the Bullion thread actually. But yeah, I paid 10 bucks more for a NGC slabbed Bullion coin, over a raw MS-69 looking coin. Trouble is, the big sellers just show you generic pictures, not the actual coin you will be getting, so it's a crap shoot. I would guess $10.00 is reasonable for a slab. Haven't done any slabbing myself, but it's got to cost more than that to get it done, unless your having a large quantity done at one time.

Silver Art and HistoryStudent like this.
  6. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

It is minimum $15-20 over at NGC, even when done in bulk, plus whatever you have to pay both ways with shipping.

7. HistoryStudent

AND they charge extra for the EXTRA SIZE slab. Plus all the hassle of shipping to and fro... >>>>> & <<<<<<

I figured a few years ago back in 2008 (before the slab rate rises) - that NGC would charge me around $40 for the entire process from door to door and then back to door. PCGS about the same; but for many reasons I prefer not to ship PCGS as a small fry collector. Period.

ABOUT $40 for EACH ONE - but that's me in the ballpark frame of mind... Okay?

90%RealMoney and Silver Art like this.
  8. HistoryStudent

Silver Art and 90%RealMoney like this.
  9. CLSPORTS

CLSPORTS New Member

Everglades 5oz P has sold out from the Mint. I was waiting until today to grab one with my C&C order, but alas I procrastinated too long. I believe around 22,700 was the final mintage. Maybe I will grab a BRP instead . . .

HistoryStudent likes this.
  10. HistoryStudent

After 15,000 silver mintage the mint MIGHT pull the plug.

After 6,000 gold mintage the mint might pull the plug.

Your job if you decide to take this mission impossible - is to get the skills to see it before it happens.

So buy early on gold and around 14,000 on silver.

11. CLSPORTS

CLSPORTS New Member

I don't think we will see another 14K mintage on the P pucks going forward . . .

HistoryStudent likes this.
  12. HistoryStudent

Yeah, and I never thought I'd see

$38.20 oil & $2.27 copper again - but, BOY was I right until today -

NOW that's the NEW low.... or LOW'S

Depressions wipe out the buyers...

13. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yeah I broke down and bought a Blue Ridge "P" puck yesterday from a LCS. I paid $147 for it. There was no box or coa but it was in the original capsule. I will admit that it was an impulse purchase but I do not regret it. This purchase makes it my 5th "P" puck purchase since I began collecting the ATB pucks.

14. 90%RealMoney

Anybody got a 2012 Hawaii "P" Puck they'd like to sell?

15. 90%RealMoney

Got one off Ebay today. 4X E-Bucks, so I couldn't pass it up!

savvydon likes this.
  16. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

What are they going for nowadays?

17. 90%RealMoney

Unslabbed "P" coins in the original Mint box, etc. are $600.00 and up. People are selling the empty boxes with COA for $100.00! Slabbed SP-69 coins are $800.00+ to over $1000.00. Slabbed SP-70 prices are all over the place, ranging from $1300.00 to over $2500.00. Crazy! The empty boxes with the COA's for the "P" coins are worth money. If you get coins slabbed, don't even think about tossing them!

Chester-Copperpot likes this.
  18. Chester-Copperpot

I think I have ten Hawaii boxes with COA, just no capsules. Might go have to look those out now.

90%RealMoney likes this.
  19. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

So I take it the same people who are buying the original mint boxes for $100 must be buying the cheapest slabbed 69's they can find and setting them free?

20. 90%RealMoney

Alot of people are slabbing the coins, and selling them without the original Gov. box and coa. Some people like having both I assume, so there's the market. There's people on Ebay with hundreds of different boxes for sale. Almost like parting out a car, versus selling it in one piece.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  21. savvydon

I have lotsa capsules.

22. Chester-Copperpot

Was just going over my set of "P" Mint ATB's and started to ponder selling the set. Here's my logic and just thought I'd put this out there. This is purely from an investment point of view. I think conservatory you could fetch $200 on average per coin. Some will be more, some less. My question is what do you think would perform better going forward? The ATB set or 12 ounces of generic per ATB. 363 ounces of generics or 150 ounces in ATB's? If my math is a little off its 2:00 am. Something to ponder though.

23. 90%RealMoney

I've pondered the same. I think the high dollar Pucks, ie Hawaii, Denali, etc. will perform well. Not sure about the others. I see prices all over the place on Ebay.

24. 1stimer

1stimer New Member

This has been a nice resource on the ATB series. Thanks guys. I'm new here, but started collecting the ATB P coins in 2012. Spent TOO much on the 2010's, but was able to get the 2012's just in time. Hawaii is actually starting to come down in price from a high of ~$800. It's been hard to keep up with the series the last couple of years with spot so low (15) and the premiums so high, but I really do enjoy the pucks!

McBlzr likes this.
  25. savvydon

Welcome aboard first timer. The ATBs are a ground breaking series that, imo, have a lot of upside potential. Let us know what you find as you make the rounds.

26. 1stimer

1stimer New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

About time for Blue Ridge to ship isn't it?

What are your guys thoughts on getting my collection slabbed and graded? I personally like the OGP packaging, but some of these 70's bring some pretty good fiat.

Here's a challenge for you guys....find an SP70 that isn't a first strike or early release.

I am hoping that they give some kind of special label/deal for an entire set being slabbed/graded at one time. I know it's a long way off, but do you think that is a possibility?

What about storage. Anyone found any good storage options?

27. Chester-Copperpot

If you want slabbed I'd skip buying from the mint and keep an eye on eBay. Some of the big players have them slabbed at very good prices.

28. savvydon

Blue Ridge has been out for a while. Bombay is up next week.

I typically do a group of 'P' ATBs slabbed at NGC. I usually sell out or nearly so pretty quickly but still have some left - PM if interested.

29. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Welcome to GIM2 1stimer. :)

FWIW, I caught puck fever in February 2015. There is nothing wrong with that. As a collector, I buy what I like but I try to pay the lowest premium possible. As for slabbed pucks, I prefer to buy them already slabbed from a coin show for about the same price as I would for a raw puck. As for pricing (based on my observation), the "P" pucks that are in OGP seem to fetch a higher price on ebay than the slabbed "P" pucks unless it is a 70 grade.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  30. 1stimer

1stimer New Member

Doh! Yes, of course Bombay not Blue Ridge. I haven't even opened my blue ridge from the mint, yet. Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure what you are offering. To purchase ATB slabbed pucks, or to group with you to get them slabbed? PM if you'd rather to explain.

31. 1stimer

1stimer New Member

I personally like the OGP P's and that is all I have collected. I would like to be a part of the community that breaks away from grading, but I do realize it is not going anywhere. It just seems silly for these P pucks. I usually cant tell a 69 from a 70 by looking at even up-close photos. I think many of the OGP buyers are paying for the "hope" that they receive a 70, but I agree with you, many 69's are cheaper than OGP. I do worry about spots or toning after time with these, and how will that affect future pricing.

32. savvydon

No need to PM. I have multiples of many of the last few years in SP70, also SP69, all NGC ER. One day I'll get off my lazy arse and post a proper price list in the buy/sell area.

I have to confess that much of what I personally collect stays in OGP. I agree that the difference between a 69 and a 70 can be trivial. I think the best collectors make a stand and collect in what they believe in. If their judgment and sensibilities are rational and accurate the market will often come around to them in the long run.

33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I mainly collect the bullion version ATB puck because of the lower premium, however, I will occasionally collect the "P" version puck if I really like them and I can buy it for a lower price than what the US Mint has charged (or currently is charging) for it.

34. 1stimer

1stimer New Member

This strategy might be the best in the long run, but I'm sure hoping its not. Some think that the P pucks will eventually get down to melt plus a small premium. I am not in that camp, but with fingers crossed.

35. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I suspect that certain "P" pucks will demand a high premium if there is a high demand for them and the mintage is relatively low. For example, the 2012 "P" pucks have high premiums on them because of the low mintages especially the Volcano "P" puck (currently fetching between $600 and $700 on ebay). Some of the future bullion versions of the ATB pucks could also fetch high premiums depending on the demand, mintages and "likeness of the design" as well as what spot silver will do in the next 5-10 years from now. The future value of the ATB "P" is hard to predict because there are too many variables that could change between now and, for example, 10 years from now. We will have to see what happens.

36. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
  37. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

The Bombay Hook bullion puck sold out to the AP's in 24 hours....

38. savvydon

There has been increasing buying pressure with each one in 2015. At this rate people will be lining up for Saratoga.

I can just about guarantee that mintage numbers will go up in 2016 as the mint starts to realize that this ain't 2011 anymore, and that demand for ATB bullion is on the rise.

39. HistoryStudent

Per COIN WORLD there was 45,000 of them - sold out in the above.

The people want silver and they can't find it.

Soon (PERHAPS?) the premiums will may double and triple.

These BOMBAY HOOK "P" 5 ouncers go on sale on the 8th Of October - I believe.

I wonder if they will be like the prior presidents in the COIN AND CHRONICLES?

Interesting as things get unwound.

40. savvydon

It's my understanding that the total mintage limit is still 65,000 for the combined bullion and P version. This limits Bombay P to a maximum mintage of 20,000.

Things are getting a bit crowded. The people want their silver.