1. First market day of the week as we head to US transition.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold and Silver flying to the up. Gold +20 bucks to 1216. Silver is +30 to 1707. Crude is also moving to the up 72 to 5309. The USD is down 36 to 100.82.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

ATB 'P' Mint Mark Coin Thread

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by chief, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think there is just alot of ignorant people out there. You can still get a Kisatchie "P" for $150.00 on the Mint site, yet people will still pay $175.00 for one on Ebay. Go figure. I had a chance at a Blue Ridge "P" yesterday on Ebay for $209.00. Waited too long, and someone else snagged it!

2. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Lot of Four P Kisatchie sold on Ebay for $446 ($111 each) a couple of weeks ago....singles sold for $131 and $123

3. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

I just wonder how many people buy 50 or so from the mint, send off the best for grading and then dump the imperfect ones - sell a few buy it nows for close to issue price and wait a little after they are not available at the mint.

4. shallow_explorer

shallow_explorer Silver Member Silver Miner

Oil Digger
    If you're buying 50 ATBs, I would hope you'd be smart enough to mail the imperfect ones (probably 15, or so) back to the Mint on their dollar. That's my guess on the Saratogas that are now available. I suspect they are all returns. Highly doubt the Mint is creating new 2015 vintage coins the last week of the year. More likely they wait until they get returns from MCM etal and then relist the ones without glaring problems. Will eat my Bombay COA if Saratoga mintage gets to 18,500. More likely that the present mintage limits hold:

Blue Ridge Parkway 17,462
    Bombay Hook 17,258
    Saratoga 17,809

http://mintnewsblog.com/2015/12/bom...available-homestead-and-kisatchie-may-linger/

5. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Gold Chaser

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I got somewhat lucky several months ago in that I was able to buy 2 Blue Ridge "P" pucks from a lcs for $147 each but the bad news is that while they were in the original capsule but there was no box and coa that came with them. I guess the lcs discarded them. I don't know. I still feel lucky to get them for the price that I did. As a matter of fact, all of the "P" pucks that I currently have in my atb collection I have bought either from a coin shop or from a coin show for less than the original U.S. Mint price. I have not bought a single P puck from the U.S mint site. $147 is the highest that I have paid for a P puck but I do not have every single one and I do not anticipate that will complete a P puck set. I am concentrating more on the bullion version than the P version but I will get another P puck if I can get one for a decent price

6. Dude

Ya, you totally right. I have only bought 1 of each periodically except in 2012, when I sent 7 of 20 back to the mint. Same question still stands. Another question, do you get yours graded?

7. Dude

I've seen the boxes sell for $60 on ebay. Take the silver, despite my comment. Just saying. Box, $10, IMO.

Silver Art likes this.
  8. 90%RealMoney

Wouldn't surprise me. I received a Bombay Hook coin with a partially crushed box. The outer shipping box however, was fine. So, some moron at the Mint put that crappy boxed coin in the mail. I called the Mint customer service to see about getting a new box. They wanted me to send the entire coin and box back. I decided not to, since the coin looks about as perfect as they get. I'll just eat the cost of an empty box off of Ebay. I let the service Rep know that an employee put an obviously damaged box in the mail. Not that it did me any good, but hopefully someone heard about it. Disappointing to say the least.

9. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    WOW. I did not pay attention to what the boxes were selling for on ebay. As for the silver, I took it (bought them in late August). I did not have a problem at all in that they did not have a box and coa with them. Those BRP "P"'s were good deals to me IMO and plus I like the BRP puck a lot. I am glad that I was able to buy both of them for $147 each. No complaints at all.. I did not have any plans to buy and coa for these. I will just keep them as is.

10. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    These are the latest numbers from the following link:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/cumulativeSalesStatistics/index.cfm?PageNum=1&StartRow=1&i=1

Blue Ridge "P": 14,462

Bombay "P": 17,359

Saratoga "P": 17,794

I still will stand by my prediction in an earlier post that the final mintage for Saratoga "P" will be between 18,500 and 19,000 when the dust settles. As of 7:27 PM, the Saratoga "P" is still available for sale on the U.S. Mint website. The Bombay "P" is still the lowest mintage of all 2015 P pucks but the difference between the mintages of the BRP and Bombay is only 103.

11. 90%RealMoney

With those numbers being as of yesterday, or Sunday, it will be interesting to see next Tuesday, what the numbers are for the Saratoga. With them still being available for sale, you would have to think the sales numbers will be higher by a good bit.

12. Foxwoods Man

A few thoughts:

..I agree with the 18,500-19k potential final numbers for Saratoga. That would give around 1000 coins as wiggle room.....(hopefully under 18,500 though)

..I would disagree with the premise that they are all returns...too many available. There are still over 100 after being back on sale for 24 hours...some may be returns but not all.

..Don't assume that the same thing won't happen with Bombay BUT I would think that once the dies moved on to the next issue that would be that for minting the previous item.

13. 90%RealMoney

I agree with that as well at this point. Hard to believe they've been for sale again for over 24 hours now. Speaking of dies, I remember the Mint was selling used dies for the State Quarters years ago. 5 ounce ATB dies, now that would be something!

14. Foxwoods Man

The numbers for BRP are 17462

Silver Art likes this.
  15. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I meant to type 17462 for the BRP mintage. It was a typo on my part in that post. I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction. Bombay still leads BRP with the lowest mintage P pucks of 2015 but that gap is closing which I believe is down to 103 puck difference between Bombay and BRP. When the next numbers come out next week, we will see if that gap closes further. I still think that BRP will be the lowest mintage of 2015 P pucks. We will see eventually.

16. Foxwoods Man

Bombay went off sale on 12/22 so the 12/27 numbers reflect that two days worth of additional sales. They have not been on sale since so I really can't see how Bombay could add ANY to the mintage total never mind over 100. If anything it will go down due to returns....

Saratoga did go back on sale but that is the most recent issue so that kinda makes sense.....and is still on sale.

17. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Being that Bombay P is still "unavailable", it is still possible that they could put more of those Bombay Ps on sale but I do not know the likelihood of that As long is it still says "unavailable", then it is possible that they could make them available for sale on their site. On the other hand, if the "unavailable" status changes to "sold out" status, then the latest mintage numbers are final.

If the final mintage for Bombay P stays where it is, then the difference is 103 and for that I say meh, it will not sell for more than BRP P in my opinion on ebay.

Imo the BRP win hands down on design and the mintage is only 103 pucks higher than Bombay. As far as I am concerned, BRP is the best p puck overall for 2015 followed by Saratoga and then Kisatchie imo. Even though Bombay wins on mintage numbers, the BRP wins overall on premium in that it will continue to fetch that and higher on ebay. Even when Bombay goes to "sold out", I do not feel that it will get a higher premium on ebay than BRP but Bombay will get a "sold out" bump up in premium on ebay. Saratoga, Homstead and Kisatchie will get bumps up in ebay premium once they are sold out but the relatively high mintages will cap the ebay premiums on those imo.

With that said, I could be completely wrong on all of this. I say wait exactly one year from today (December 31, 2014) to see where things stand on the 2015 P pucks.

18. Foxwoods Man

The Mint has proven MANY times that there is no way to predict what they will do.....but I do think as the next puck issue gets near and being in a new year the chance of a restock of the Bombay is slim..nothing to prevent the restock of BRP either but, as I said, the most recent issue is the one most likely to get additional mintage (and it did).

We will see.....

19. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Fair enough and that is a good point. I have no argument there. We will have to see how things play out on the 2015 p pucks and 1 year from today (on December 31, 2016) will, imo, be enough time to tell the tale on the 2015 P pucks in terms of future ebay premiums.

20. 90%RealMoney

As far as designs go for 2015, I like the Blue Ridge and the Kisatchie. I'm surprised the Kisatchie has yet to sell out. I get the popularity of the Saratoga, being a Military Battle themed coin, and of historical significance, but as far as designs go, it's ho-hum as far as I'm concerned. It's hard to make any kind of prediction with this series. Best to just get one, or a few of each new coin, you never know what will happen with these. I will say, all of the Pucks look good when you're holding them in your hand!

Silver Art likes this.
  21. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Yeah I will admit that it is hard to make predictions on the "P" pucks. Almost anything is possible with them. I do, however, like the constructive back and forth on this thread because different scenarios and the knowledge presented by others is painting several scenarios of what might happen regarding premiums on the P pucks and I like that especially for newbie puck collectors such as myself.

22. Foxwoods Man

Kisatchie has a theoretical max of 23k and Homestead 30k. The base collector coin purchase seems to be around 17.5-18k. Those two might be with us for a while unless the Mint just gets bored and removes them from sale. Saratoga will probably join them now as hangers around.

23. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Remember that any mintage under 19,000 NINETEEN THOUSAND UNITS in silver joins only a handful of
    OTHER MINT F.U.B.A.R. s.

The mint went POSTAL...

24. Foxwoods Man

Saratoga P's mintage somehow decreased by 490....17,304

25. 90%RealMoney

Yeah, and after being on sale for another week now? WTF? Apparently the people running the Mint operation also run the Obamacare website.

26. 90%RealMoney

Wondering if any of you guys have had issues with the Mint, regarding unauthorized charges on your credit cards? I have a credit/debit card tied to my bank account, that I recently used to make a purchase at the Mint website. Now, there is a strange amount that has been taken out of my account, and the charge says "US Mint Coin sales, Web". The Mint has no record of this charge, My debit card company has no record of it, but the funds have been taken out of my account, via the Mint website operation, in some fashion. Whoever pulled this off is pretty slick! Red Alert Folks!

27. 90%RealMoney

Well, issue solved. Turns out it was a Pay Pal issue. They had paid part of my purchase with pay pal balance, and the rest with a bank account debit. The debit occurred four days after the pay pal balance payment, so it wasn't recognized by anyone. Pay Pal should have been able to figure this out when I called them though. My bank Manager told me they (Pay Pal) have issues all of the time.

28. 90%RealMoney

Not too crazy about the upcoming designs for the Pucks in 2016. I think they are the worst of all the years. Might be cause for some low mintages, or sales anyway. We shall see. I've been wrong on pretty much every prediction regarding this series.

29. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

I disagree...Theodore Roosevelt looks like a winner.

I held back on the Saratoga just to wait for the TR coin.

30. 90%RealMoney

TR isn't too bad, same for Shawnee, but neither really gets me fired up much. The other three are just plain not that good. Like I said above, they all seem to look much better, when you are holding them in your hand. Maybe they will grow on me. Some price appreciation would solve that for sure.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  31. 90%RealMoney

Not much activity here lately. I see the Shawnee 5 ounce has sold 15,000+ so far. Prices seem to have hit a lull lately.

32. shamrocks33

shamrocks33 Silver Member Silver Miner

What is up with Apmex charging $250 for Shawnee?:don't know:

33. shamrocks33

shamrocks33 Silver Member Silver Miner

And I check back today and it is now $200...strange....

34. 90%RealMoney

Is that for a "P" coin? Like was said before here, apparently there are alot of people who do not know that the US mint website exists!

35. Foxwoods Man

Yup, I saw that $250 price for the "P" Shawnee....and one sold for $149 on Ebay a couple of days ago

36. 90%RealMoney

Shawnee 5 ounce "P" currently unavailable at the Mint website.

37. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    Got mine. Nice-looking coin.

38. Foxwoods Man

It will return....

39. 90%RealMoney

Homestead 5 oz. "P" still available, Shawnee currently unavailable, all other 5 oz. "P" coins apparently removed from site. Interesting.

40. Foxwoods Man

45 Homestead left...they're selling around 6-8/day

90%RealMoney likes this.