1. US Holiday, Markets Closed in US
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold and Silver showing strength from overseas.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

ATB 'P' Mint Mark Coin Thread

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by chief, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Gold Member Gold Chaser

Shawnee 5 oz. "P" now on back order status. Is the Mint tired of having these Pucks hanging around forever, like the Homestead? I've only been watching these for a year or so, this is the first time I've seen the current coin on back order status. Thoughts?

2. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

They usually go to "currently unavailable" with a remind me button and then either go to "sold out" or "backorder" which means they minted more....with PLENTY of wiggle room for additional coins if needed.

Homestead is "currently unavailable" but that will just disappear soon.

90%RealMoney likes this.
  3. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Searched out and bought low(ish) premium, low mintage 2014 and 15 bullion, based on the reading below. Would like to see a collector based build up.

http://www.coinworld.com/news/preci...ounce-silver-near-initial-maximum-limit.html#

Sales by the United States Mint of the 2016 Shawnee National Forest 5-ounce silver bullion quarter dollar are nearing the maximum initial sales limit of 120,000 coins.

As of March 7, the sales to authorized purchasers totaled 105,000 coins. Sales began Feb. 1.

The Mint set a limit of 150,000 coins combined for the 5-ounce silver bullion coin and the Uncirculated 2016-P 5-ounce silver coin. An initial ceiling of 120,000 bullion coins was established by Mint officials, with an opportunity for increase as long as the combined total for the bullion and Uncirculated numismatic versions does not exceed 150,000 coins. Under that scenario, the Uncirculated 5-ounce silver 2016-P Shawnee National Forest quarter dollar would have a final mintage below the initial 30,000-coin mintage limit set for that version.

Attached Files:

4. 90%RealMoney

Yep, back up for sale this morning. Mark Twain uncirculated commem dollar also available.

5. badhop55

badhop55 Silver Member Silver Miner

Interesting.
    Coin Update as of 30 Mar 2016:

Shawnee National Forest 16,402 15,445 -957

6. Foxwoods Man

Wow!....that's a significant drop

7. 90%RealMoney

Anyone opt for the Cumberland "P" coin? I like them all when I'm holding one in my hands, but the Cumberland is a Ho -Hummer. I'm waiting on the Teddy. I think that one may sell out early, who knows.

8. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

I get them all. They are a groundbreaking set. Sub 20,000 mintages on many. Some are better than others. All are silver. All are good.

HistoryStudent and SongSungAU like this.
  9. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Gold Member Gold Chaser

I got one. The P pucks are cheaper now than when the series first started... the U.S. Mint charged $279.95 for each of the five pucks of 2010. That almost makes $149.95 seem like a bargain. LOL!

Like you, I really think the Teddy puck will be popular. It's my favorite of the five 2016 pucks.

10. gringott

gringott Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

I've got the KY Cumberland coins, like them both. The burnished looks better to me, however.

11. Foxwoods Man

I don't think ANY of the 2016 P pucks will be a quick sellout if they keep the stated max mintage at 30k. They will be available for many months

12. badhop55

badhop55 Silver Member Silver Miner

13. Foxwoods Man

Shawnee went to "Currently Unavailable" status yesterday

14. howellzin

howellzin Silver Member Silver Miner

Compilation of ATB-P (uncirculated) sales figures . . . 2015 numbers are the last ones shown in US Mint sales reports before the product disappeared . . . 2016s are in progress

ATB-P uncirc mintages 160805.jpg

McBlzr, HistoryStudent, Shiny and 3 others like this.
  15. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Any silver coin under 20,000 mintage HAS real good chances going forward. See Jordan's books. Eric Jordan that is...

16. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

P.S. any gold coin under 6,000 mintage is rather a great LONG SHOT too. Especially under 2,500 ish...

17. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

With silver out of its dip to the 14 to 16 dollar range, the US Mint price of these coins continues to be the same at 149.95 dollars.

This means that the premium went down from 100% (when spot was 15/oz) to 51% (when spot is now 19.80/oz). Percentage-wise, that is a huge drop in premium.

As always, these coins tend to have superior quality compared to the bullion coins. And this year in particular, mintage numbers are much lower as well.

I will want to grab at least one of these coins this year...most likely the TR.

18. Foxwoods Man

I would venture a guess that the TR will be one of the higher mintages of the year

19. Starter

I was leaning toward the TR coin just because of personal preference. It is a coin with a good design and a well-known name.

But as I mentioned in a different thread, I am now zeroing in on the National Park gold uncirc coin, which also has TR on it.

Also, I just remembered that I am collecting the ATB proof clad quarters, and I will be getting the proof set. So even if I don't buy any silver ATBs this year, I will still have the clad proof coins.

HistoryStudent likes this.
  20. Foxwoods Man

The gold NPS coins have a reason for the low mintage....very few are interested in them. They have been on sale since March, a potential mintage of 100k (total for both), and have sold less than 4k PF's and 3k unc's....

Low mintage is not everything.....someone has to want them and right now, five months after issue, there are 93,000 left (maybe minus 12k pf's in the set) to buy

If you are collecting them for a collection (like the clad PF ATB's) then that's fine....but they the chances of them having ANY premium over issue price is very slim.

Even with the expected high mintage the ATB TR bullion puck has a MUCH better change at price appreciation due to the potential for a spot silver price increase and reasonably low premium over spot.

My opinions....

21. Starter

Actually, the proof mintage is much higher, if you count the 3-coin set, which has sales of 12k. Based on the current numbers, the proof mintage is 16,191, more than 5 times higher than the uncirc mintage of 2,983. So the idea with the NPS gold coin (and other gold commems) is to leverage the disparity of mintage between proof and uncirc, in the hopes that a few years from now, more people will appreciate the uncirc version due to the lower mintage.

The combined mintage of proof plus uncirc for the gold coin (counting the 3-coin set) is now 19,174, a respectable number from a sales standpoint, especially considering that this coin is being sold in the same year as the Mark Twain coin--but most of those sales are with the proof coin, allowing the uncirc mintage to remain very low. By the way, the 100k mintage limit is irrelevant in practice, as we know that the actual numbers will not be even close to that number.

Just to stay on topic, though...my decision is not based on an idea that the ATBs are a bad deal, but rather my belief that the NPS gold coin is a good deal. It's a decision of how to spend my money, rather than how good the outlook for the ATB coins is.

But I agree that there are always differences in opinion in regard to which coins are better deals--which is good, and that is why we buy coins with our own money!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  22. 90%RealMoney

What do you guys think about the "Teddy" 5 ounce ATB "P" coins chances of selling out? I would think at least it will be the most popular in awhile anyway. Sure wish they would come up with some more exciting designs for these coins.

23. Foxwoods Man

It might sell out BUT....that would make it the highest mintage number of any of the P pucks so your guess is as good as mine on whether that would be a good thing

90%RealMoney likes this.
  24. Foxwoods Man

BTW re: bullion pucks...Harper's Ferry looks to be shut off at a pretty low number....TR will fly by that

Shawnee National Forest...105,000
    Cumberland Gap ...75,000
    Harpers Ferry .....
    Theodore Roosevelt ....29,500

90%RealMoney likes this.
  25. Foxwoods Man

My Teddy P puck already is marked as "shipped"

26. 90%RealMoney

Teddy 5 ounce "P" coin already sold over 16,000. 16,190 as of todays report.

27. SongSungAU

Well, darn. I messed up. I was waiting until Thursday, 12-08-2016, to buy the Teddy 5 ounce "P" coin when I also could buy the fifth and final one for 2016. I should not have waited.

The Teddy is sold out. Bummer.

TR5oz.jpg

28. Foxwoods Man

Yup...Teddy "P" skipped right over the normal "Currently Unavailable" and went to "Sold Out" on 12/2......BTW only 29 Cumb Gap left...been on sale for some time

29. SongSungAU

Why did the Mint do that?!! They didn't "have to" stop selling the "P" ones due to too many bullion ones being sold because there have only been 40,000 bullion ones sold. The total "P" and bullion combined is less than 59,000.
    Yet they stopped abruptly at less than 19,000 on the "P" ones????

No warning, nothing.

I have been collecting this since the beginning but now that I can't order the Teddy from the Mint, I am about ready to say screw it and screw the US Mint and stop collecting the series. Granted, I shouldn't have postponed buying but they are still selling the earlier ones so who knew they'd just up and stop selling the Teddy. If the others had been stopped, I would have purchased the Teddy promptly but the way they do things led me to believe there was no rush. Ha! Not so. They abruptly stopped a newer release while still continuing to sell older ones.

I'm upset at them. They can do as they wish but I'm giving up on the series. Screw the Mint.

sUSM1.jpg

sUSM2.jpg

sUSM3.jpg

30. savvydon

You can study the Mint for years and still not be able to figure out what they are going to do next. I think they are in the process of trying to 'tidy up' 2016 and earlier issues that are still available so that they are a bit more streamlined next year. This year they clearly came up with a formula for the five ounce 'P' pucks. Demand in 2015/16 has been roughly 18,000 for each issue. They probably minted and boxed roughly that amount and then decided that it wasn't cost effective to make an additional run. In the case of the Roosevelt issue, if it had been earlier in the year perhaps they would have made some more, but as it stands I'm sure someone made the decision that a new run wasn't worth it for the several hundred they probably would have sold between now and the end of the year.

FWIW, the US Mint is by the people, of the people, and for the people. Whatever profit they make gets plowed right back into the US budget. They are imperfect, but they have been doing a heck of a job expanding the field of US collector coins over the past couple of decades.

It is likely that you can find an aftermarket Roosevelt 'P' puck for just a bit over the mint price without too much difficulty. Just some food for thought...

SongSungAU likes this.
  31. 90%RealMoney

None of the designs this year really blew my skirt up. I'm starting to really like the 10 ounce Kookaburras. Thinking of snagging one of the kilo coins too.

32. savvydon

No doubt the Aussies kick butt when it comes to producing gorgeous, original coins. Ya gotta love a kilo coin!

SongSungAU and 90%RealMoney like this.
  33. Foxwoods Man

None of the last eight or so P pucks have sold 19k and the Teddy will probably be the highest mintage of those eight. No surprise that, as numbers approached 19k, that it would go out of stock. Same with the Cumb Gap which now only has 7 left and will also end just under 19k. I'll go out on a limb and say ditto eventually for the Harper's Ferry

34. Foxwoods Man

Cumberland Gap is a memory....gone

35. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

Some nice designs coming in 2018. Bird heavy but nice.

36. SongSungAU

Where are the designs for 2018? I'd like to take a peek.

37. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

SongSungAU likes this.
  38. SongSungAU

39. Starter

I'm probably not alone, but I've always wished that the Mint could lower their prices of these P- pucks by 20 dollars or so.

So many of these pucks sell on eBay for issue price or less...