1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

ATB 'P' Mint Mark Coin Thread

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by chief, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The US Mint cumulative sales figures did not update this past Tuesday. The latest update is still the week of April 2, 2017 which shows most updated mintage for the Effigy "P" is at 15,363. Apparently silver "Animal Crackers" are not very popular at the moment.

2. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense and it should be done but with the US Mint, the opposite will probably happen if spot silver continues to make a run to $20. However, I do not know what the average spot price of silver needs to stay above to trigger a US Mint increase in the price of the "P" pucks.

3. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

If memory serves the last price decrease was when silver dropped below about $25. The kept it unchanged all the way down to $14. I wouldn't expect a price change unless and until silver moved outside these price boundaries.

Silver Art likes this.
  4. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

I just did the last 90 day check, similar to what I did when the 10% ebay bucks came up - and paid a lower effective rate than issue. About 100 on the 90 day check were below and most of those were very close to issue. 1000 were over. Some of those 100 had hand held pics with no box. One year (the Hawaii year), I bought 25 from the mint and sent back 10 for replacement, knowing the extra shipping charges were shared (lowered) across multiple pieces. When buying these off ebay though, you might get poor quality for a $5 savings. If the mint dropped another $20 off the P pucks, I'd buy way less bullion pucks. Of course as I can pick up eagles at 2-2.29 over spot at times, I mix it up as it seems the low dollar for bullion pucks is about 2.75 over spot. I don't pass up deals on junk either and give a little more for bu rolls. Silver 5 coin proof quarter sets can be had way below mint issue, just watch you don't buy a clad set for $15.

5. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    According to the April 16, 2017 Cumulative sales figures:

Effigy "P" - 14,242

https://www.usmint.gov/cumulative-sales-figures

That was down from 15,363 that was reported on the April 2, 2017 Cumulative sales report. I am guessing they adjusted for sales that did not go through for whatever reason (card declined, returns?).

6. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

That's a significant drop....

7. savvydon

Another recent low... 2017 for ATBs is starting out slow.

8. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

I wish the US Mint would put an alert on their website when they get down to the last 500 or so coins for a particular issue. I missed out on the Teddy coin because I was just going to order it when I ordered the Fort Moultrie 5 oz. coin. They suddenly put "sold out" and I was out of luck.

I called the US Mint and asked if I could be put on a waiting list if any Teddy 5 oz coins were returned. I said I would be happy to buy a return. The gal at the US Mint told me no. She said if any coins were returned, they would not be for sale.

Well screw the US Mint. I have been collecting these since the very first one but since I missed out on the Teddy, I have lost interest.

Had the website shown some indication that the stock was running low on the Teddy, I would not have delayed my ordering of them. But the way the website works, it's hit or miss. You may wake up one morning intending to place an order and find the coin you wanted now says "sold out."

They need some kind of indication so people know when the available stock is running low. Be that 1,000 coins or 500 coins... something to indicate to those who are interested that they need to not delay any longer.

Yes, I'm an upset customer. I've been a customer for a long time but this pisses me off. So screw the Effigy Mounds 5 oz coins.

Okay, my rant is over.

9. Foxwoods Man

It's very easy to see if there are more than 100 left. Just put in an order for 100 and it will give the remaining number if it's under 100. I do it all the time for the pucks. For instance there are over 100 Moultrie left

SongSungAU likes this.
  10. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

Thanks for that tip, Foxwoods Man.

I could buy the Teddy from Apmex or somewhere but I like buying directly from the mint and having a U.S. Mint receipt. I can't do that now.

11. savvydon

Stuff happens. it would be a shame to abandon ship with so much of the journey already under your belt. 2c

12. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
  13. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    savvydon likes this.
  14. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The Effigy "P" mintage as of the April 30, 2017 USMint.gov report still shows it under 15,000. The Effigy "P" mintage is now at 14,595 according to the April 30, 2017 report:

https://www.usmint.gov/cumulative-sales-figures

As a reference, the 2012 Hawaii Volcanoes "P" finished at a mintage of 14,863, the 2012 Arcadia "P" finished at a mintage of 14,978 and the 2012 Denali "P" finished at a mintage of 15,225. The Effigy "P" is currently at 4th place in terms of mintage.

My take: I do not feel that the Effigy "P" will hold under 15,000 mintage. I am making a WAG that the mintage will finish between 15,500 and 16,750. However, if the Effigy "P" mintage did somehow finish under 15,000, then it may not get the same premium like Volcanoes and Arcadia. Mainly because of the design on the Effigy "P" where a lot of collectors and others are disappointed with and strongly dislike the design based on other coin collector forums and USMint blog comments.

The Frederick Douglas "P" became available for sale today at 12 noon. The next report will show the initial numbers for that one.

I still think that the 2017 ATB "P" puck set as a whole will have a low mintage just like 2012 ATB "P" puck set had as a whole. We will see.

savvydon likes this.
  15. Foxwoods Man

No clue what the Effigy P mintage will be but the last bunch (2016) all stopped just short of 19k. They just stay on sale forever so I will guess at or near 18k...Moultrie just broke the 17k mark and is working its way up...but....maybe 2017 will be different

16. savvydon

I'm pretty sure Effigy will stay below that number. We are still below 15,000 and Frederick Douglas is now on sale. The vast majority of these pucks are sold in the early going. The price is way above melt so all the flippers/resalers move in early and after that sales just dribble in without any major reason to bump. 2c

17. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As far as I know, the 1st day of sale for any "P" puck is the biggest since all of the collectors who plan to buy one to complete the set will buy one on day one. While it is certainly possible for the USmint to continue the sale of the "P" pucks until it "sells out" at/near 19K is possible, it is also possible for the USMint to simply just say "Fuc this crap" and just declare the Effigy "P" a "sell out" after just 15K if weekly sales of it continue to decline after each week.

Please note that this post is all just a WAG on my part which leads me to my following statement:

We never know what the USMint will (or won't) do. We will have to see how things play out.

18. Foxwoods Man

Considering what the Mint makes on each one of the P's there should be no rush to "sell out"

19. savvydon

Agree. I believe the mint made plenty go these anticipating demand would be similar to last year. If they now have a bunch on hand I would think they will let them stay on sale for most if not all of the rest of the year.

What could get interesting is if they adjust minted numbers down and then get surprised by heavy sales from a popular issue such as Ellis island/New Jersey coming up.

I'm sure the person responsible for making mintage recommendations at the mint doesn't have an easy job.

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Week of May 7, 2017 USMint report shows the following:

Effigy "P" = 14,782

Frederick Douglas "P" = 13,761

savvydon likes this.
  21. savvydon

How low can you go?!

22. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Good question. I guess we will find out eventually. I still think that these 2017 "P" pucks (and the 2017 bullion versions) will have similar low mintages like the 2012 "P" pucks did but the only difference between 2012 and 2017 is that the 2017 "P" pucks will not have the demand like the 2012 ones did and therefore the 2017 "P" pucks will not command the kind of premium that the 2012 "P" pucks did. The demand for these pucks (bullion and "P" versions) is a lot less now given the low sales figures for both versions especially the "P" version given the current high premium.

savvydon likes this.
  23. savvydon

I generally agree with this analysis. However, the unknown is how popular the greater silver market in general will be in the coming years. If the series takes off and these are the mintage lows then these issues may appreciate significantly. 2c

Silver Art likes this.
  24. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Week of May 14, 2017 USMint report shows the following:

Effigy "P" = 14,874

Frederick Douglas "P" = 14,220

savvydon likes this.
  25. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Week of May 21, 2017 USMint report shows the following:

Effigy "P" = 14,984

Frederick Douglas "P" = 14,657

26. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The week of May 28 2017 USMint report shows that Effigy "P" broke 15,000 mintage:

Effigy "P" - 15,090

Frederick "P" - 14,908

savvydon likes this.
  27. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Lookin' like Douglass will surpass animal crackers in sales.

28. Foxwoods Man

Well maybe...but...I would say Doug will become "unavailable" before Effigy...they each all eventually sell between 18.5 and 19k so the end numbers should be close. . Key word is "eventually"

Silver Art likes this.
  29. savvydon

I don't know... numbers out of the gate seem a bit slower this year. I don't know that they will all clear 18k. We'll see....

30. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    It also appears that the Moultrie bullion puck continued to creep up in mintage. As of 9:10 PM, Thursday, June 1, 2017, the USMint online number now shows it at 34, 200. That is up 2500 from the previous stated mintage of 31,700.

31. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

.....and up from the 27,900 they had posted all year. IMO thats some shady tactics used by the mint. They obviously kept the numbers low for a reason and the dealers had to know the 27,900 wasn't the final tally as they kept the sell prices suspiciously low on that puck. Who knows the real number now ...it could creep up to 50,000 or so in the next few weeks.

Buzz Kill.

Silver Art likes this.
  32. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    That scenario played out for last years "P" pucks with Ft Moultrie being that exception. With Ft Moultrie "P" mintage currently at 17, 131, then it would not surprise me to see it to "eventually" become "Unavailable" and then "sold out" at or slightly below 19,000. I am going to say "eventually" for Ft Moultrie "P" will be within 3-4 months from now.

That similar scenario could also play out for the 2017 "P" pucks but "eventually" time period for the 2017 "P" pucks for all 5 of them to become "unavailable/sold out" will IMO become a lot longer to reach 19,000 mintage if continuing declining demand and slow sales trend for these "P" pucks continue. With this "until 19,000" scenario, you could potentially have a situation where the last two 2017 "P" pucks could still be on sale in early 2019 if the mintages start out at 13,000 or lower.

I could see another scenario play out in that continuing declining demand and sales for the 2017 "P" pucks could make the USMint say "Fuc this $hit" and declare them "unavailable/sold out" well before 19,000 mintage is reached like they did with 2015 Blue Ridge "P", 2015 Bombay "P" and 2015 Saratoga "P".

I also want to emphasize that I have no idea what the USMint will (or won't) do. This is all just a WAG on my part.

33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

...................Or the USMint might just go "2011" on everyone and the mintage is "suddenly" over 100,000.

Oops!!!! I just realized that I meant to post this on the ATB bullion thread and not the "P" thread.

As for the 2017 ATB "P" pucks, the mintages are relatively more "stable" than the 2017 bullion pucks. At least with the "P" pucks, you have somewhat of a better idea of what the mintages MIGHT be. As for the bullion version mintages, it could be anywhere from 20,000 to 120,000+ for each one. If someone really wanted to play the "mintage game" gamble, then the "P" pucks would seem a better bet given that the demand for these are a lot slower than a year or two ago and the premium is still nearly double what current spot silver price is. Honestly speaking, I plan to buy one of each 2017 "P" puck and that is it. As for the 2017 bullion pucks, I bought only one effigy and only one Frederick Douglas and that is it for the bullion ATB pucks. I will continue to buy certain past year ATB bullion pucks (such as 2012 mint year for exmaple) if the price is "right" and flip it on ebay for collector premium.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  34. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The week of May 28 2017 USMint report shows that Effigy "P" broke 15,000 mintage:

Effigy "P" - 15,146

Frederick "P" - 13,929

I am guessing that the Frederick "P" mintage fell 979 from last week's report because of cancelled orders.

EDIT: FWIW the Ozark "P" puck will be released sometime next month but I do not seen exactly when it will be available on the USMint.gov product site. I did not see it yet on the USMint site.

35. Foxwoods Man

Ozark "P" will be released on July 11th

savvydon and Silver Art like this.
  36. 90%RealMoney

7 come 11, the lucky day!

37. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    FWIW the Ozark "P" puck will be released sometime next month but I do not seen exactly when it will be available on the USMint.gov product site. I did not see it
    Since it will go on sale on 7-11, then maybe the USMint will branch out and sell the Ozark "P" at a 7-Eleven convenience store.

:belly laugh:

90%RealMoney likes this.
  38. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
  39. 90%RealMoney

Silver Art likes this.
  40. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Most recent mintages as of June 11, 2017 USMint report