1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Baby boomers ruined America, according to this Generation X author

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by BarnacleBob, Mar 10, 2017.

1. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

2. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Most normals behave in a way that they think will benefit them the most and even more of them live for the day. Very few people think 2 years in advance let alone 10 or 20. This does not make them right. It allows them to do what they want to do on that particular day. Things change and there is no stopping it. Those who will prevail are the ones who can adapt to change and those who can trick others into staying poor foolishly believing that by not using the resources they have that things will never change.

3. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

So the actions of a portion of humans can influence the output of our sun, which is the primary factor in our weather and climate?
    I think 20 years might be slippery, but ten is pretty good. Anything less than five years is the sign of a stupid and worthless bag of meat.

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  4. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

We should be colonizing other planets and space so when the sun gets too hot we wont all get fried.

5. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    All I read was the title. That being said, he can go fuck himself! I don't need to explain things to anyone!!!

GOLDBRIX, stoli and anywoundedduck like this.
  6. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    I tend to agree with all/every one. What a tit whining title. I guess I should go read it, and I'm thinking "train wreck."

edit: Nope, made it through the first paragraph....just classic tit whining.
    second edit: And if I get flamed for being judgmental I'm thinking the author should keep his day job.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I am on the borderline of Baby Boomers and Gen X being born in December 1965. I have more Boomer values than X and can see several distinctions. What I don't understand is the complete destruction of the USA beginning at the end of Gen X.

The US Government became head of household for most colored families by keeping them on the plantation with millions of abortions, lack of a permanent father, food stamps and welfare, Sec. 8 housing etc. I have a few black friends who are in the 8-10% of blacks who are responsible and have work. Half their day at least once it goes through their mind how f'd up is their culture.

And don't give me the slavery argument or how oppressed are minorities. You don't see any affirmative action or special circumstances for Asians or Jews.

Rap "music", wearing your pants down around your knees, ebonics, crack, lack of buying into American society instead of creating an alternative lower culture. The evidence is there if you open your eyes. Also, keep the Third World scumbags out who want to turn this country into a Third World country.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    GOLDBRIX likes this.
  8. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

did the boomers really become the worst generation or were they in fact a natural progression, just as the x and millenials are?

Joe King, Mujahideen and stoli like this.
  9. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

Meh. You point a finger at someone, there's three pointing back at you.

GOLDBRIX, Mujahideen and Zed like this.
  10. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    They are the result of the dynamic generated when you have a population bubble in a major recovery period. The competition and aggression that had been generated by the time that generation was complete was crazy. Early boomers are a different animal to late boomers, things got full on... at least in my experience. I followed them directly, lived in their wake. If you want to lay blame you can just as easily blame the generations before... WWII set up the conditions that made the boomers inevitable. Smooth population growth generates more stable characteristics, what we have had is more likely to set up intergenerational angst... the blame game will play out... we are greedy... they are lazy... etc, etc... in the end we are all products of our environment.

D-FENZ, GOLDBRIX, Scorpio and 3 others like this.
  11. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    The government ruined America...

Social security, welfare, war on drugs, the ridiculous "defense" spending... all that money is in the hand of cronies.

All we get in return is high taxes, oppression, bureaucracy and just enough comfort to not riot.

Baby boomers shouldn't be my problem, neither should single parents.

dpong, Silvergun, GOLDBRIX and 5 others like this.
  12. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Different Generations certainly behave in different ways but everyone of age buys a car and uses gas, burns coal when they switch on a light or a fridge. The author is just trying to cash in on a social trend with a book title. He wants money so he can burn gas in his car and coal to run his home.

13. tom baxter

Retired now
    And the people of America voted in all these governments, supported them for the most part. I don't blame anyone because we are all to blame. We all wanted a better lifestyle than living in a forrest eating nuts and berries. As soon as we pick up an axe to cut a tree to build a home and furnish it we become part of the system, part of the problem.

Son of Gloin, GOLDBRIX and Scorpio like this.
  14. michael59

20 years logging
    what happened while I was sleeping? Well I'm not sure but it seems some one posed a different question or rather a statement of baby boomers ruined something. what a crock of poop in fact this is what happens when one eats the contents out of a chamber pot. baby boomers ruined something? Give it a rest and quit crying.

Sadly we have turned into a tit whining populace, well luckily we have something to whine about or at least left them something to whine about rather. What is that saying? Oh yeah...."You'd whine if you were hung with a new rope." flippen snowflakes....

GOLDBRIX and searcher like this.
  15. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Amen brother Michael! Can I get an amen brothers and sisters? I started with nothing, worked hard and learned how to build two careers. I raised three kids who are now earners, own modest homes and have great families. I put into the system more than I've taken so please spare me the baby boomers craps. I didn't mortgage anyone's future. Do a little research into how social security has been raped over the decades by political pork barrel special interests. The SS fund has been the cash cow funding every political pet project the last 50 years until it's been stripped down to a shell of what it should be. That's not the deal the boomers made with the government. The young people can bite me if they don't appreciate the shit sandwich they've been dealt but look elsewhere to find the assholes to blame!

16. Scorpio

sad so few realize how true this is,

GOLDBRIX, michael59 and the_shootist like this.
  17. michael59

20 years logging
    Damm wanted to quote the tom baxter also.

for me it is not the sucked in part but the getting apart, part. There is a saying in the woods: "The wind blew, the shit flew but nothing stops that rigging crew." For safety's sake one could always leave and it was not considered a quit but try opting out of this political religious society and you'll find some fool who still believes and drags ya right back in.

sufferen suckatash's

18. tom baxter

Retired now
    Yes, SS in it's current form, as a handout for anyone who want's the leave their husband, or anyone who wants to sit on a porch all their life is a frikkin fiasco. For retirees who have no other means, sure, for the Blind, the truly disabled, of course. But how can we expect anything a bunch of bureaucrats get their hands on not get totally corrupted in the end.

19. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Then the same ones complaining will support even more regs and more intrusion into everyones lives. Same as it was for previous gens. Just more of it.

My research has shown that the Peoples Reps of the day intentionally set it up that way to be raped as a means to pay current expenditures without having to directly raise their taxes at the time.
    Edited to add: ...and it was designed around the the idea of a much greater birth-rate than has actually shown to have been the case. Ie: as designed it needs a constantly increasing growth in new participants while simultaneously having no real investment properties to it. Can you say, "Ponzi Scheme"?

When you make mention of "what it should be", you seem to referring to a SS trust fund that's fully liquid. If that were the case, it'd be virtually worthless due to the ravages of inflation over time.

No, the SS system as we know and love today was always meant to be a slush fund for a gov who promises to tax ya again to pay you back for the original loan.
    ...and really, in our current monetary system there's no other way to run it that could guarantee returns so far out, but by force of gov taxing power.

Apparently you didn't get the memo? You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Now, try to enjoy your stay!

Son of Gloin, michael59 and GOLDBRIX like this.
  20. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Won't read his book obviously but from reading between the lines of the synopses it sounds like he's sore about Trump getting elected.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  21. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    So Shootist,
    Are we to assume that you, too, are a wretched baby boomer, as I am? Lol!
    Well, the melinnial s and generation x need not worry about the boomers. They (TPTB) try to give us deadly vaccines warning us about the next pandemic, while they infuse these vaccines with poison. They poison our water with pesticides and flouride, which should have killed us off by now, but a lot of us started filtering and using bottled water, so we are not dying off fast enough. That is really our only sin, not dying off fast enough.
    I am really sorry about that. I tried drinking tap water, but it tastes bad.

Son of Gloin and GOLDBRIX like this.
  22. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

If anyone is interested here's who and what the author of the article in the OP is:

Bruce Gibney
    http://www.brucegibney.com/

Founders Fund Partner Bruce Gibney Has Left The Firm
    https://techcrunch.com/2012/12/11/founders-fund-bruce-gibney/

One Author Argues 'Sociopathic' Baby Boomers Have Hurt America
    http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/03/08/bruce-gibney-sociopaths-baby-boomers

While some of the stuff Gibney talks about is true............it's also true of other generations as well. Is he a true believer or is he trying to sell a book? Who knows? Who cares.

To me he's just another wall street con artist.

As to who "ruined" America...............

- Is America really ruined or are we in some sort of down hill slide that we have a chance of recovering from?
    Only time will tell.

- As to our elected officials..............I honestly consider most of them to be traitors. Unfortunately when they are running for office they usually lie through their teeth. Once in office they take your tribute (tax money) and give themselves big buck pay raises, healthy medical plans and golden parachute retirement plans while crapping all over those who elected them into office. They also allow big business to rape and pillage the citizenry (think big pharma and the medical industry here) and allow our infrastructure to fall apart while sending bookoo bucks to people who want to wipe us off the planet. This isn't just traitorous.............it's insanity and national suicide.

But other than looking out for yourself..............what can we really do? You can vote and hope that eventually someone will get into office who really cares about the country. Hopefully we got lucky with Trump and maybe he'll be able to turn things around. Only time will tell with that. Seems like the globalists and some of our elected officials are fighting him tooth and nail on everything he tries to do.

So if some one is to blame for "ruining" America I think the blame lies solely on the people who were elected into office. Not the people who voted them in. The ones running campaigned on promises to the voters and then reneged on their promises. Some were probably well intentioned when they were first elected but then corrupted once in. Others were liars and con artists from jump street who only wanted to get into office for money and power. No matter............the blame lies solely on them.

anywoundedduck and Someone_else like this.
  23. tom baxter

Retired now
    From my reading and podcast listenings of Neil Howe (best known for his work with William Strauss on social generations regarding American history). I would interpret the generations this way.

Boomers: Moralistic, "They should do this they SHOULD do that" They pick a political party for life usually, and support it no matter how insane the policies.
    GenX: Selfish, Ignore politics for the most part, distrust all political parties, go it alone. They allow the system to choose it's own course and do nothing to help correct excesses.
    Millennials: Do gooders for the most part. Not particularly politically active but will comply like sheep to anything imposed on them. Too young yet to realize how they are being manipulated.

24. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Hilarious tripe.

Waste of bandwidth.

25. michael59

20 years logging
    Yes, yes....I tried to read it again. Stupid bullshit detectors went off, of course and they wont shut down.

I don't see how blaming my parents is acceptable? But really IRL I'd have a case but then there is the "why?" My grand parents went from covered wagons to a man on the moon. The baby boomers are creating a base of which to launch man into the universe, launch him like a virus that is. And, this Gibney is going to tit whine about something he cannot control? NIGGA PLZ. Sorry for getting ethnic there but forcing meself to read BS just brings out my triteness.

26. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    GenX is too small to matter. We have been and will continue to be ignored as there just aint enough of us to matter. When society doesn't really care about you, it is kinda hard for you to care about society.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  27. BarnacleBob

Lets get real... Just exactly what kind of moralistic behavior should or could of been expected from both the "greatest" & "boomer" generational cycles?

The greatest generation experience 10 yrs of economic depression (1931-1941) followed by WWII (1941-1945). Fourteen yrs of hardcore sacrifices & struggles for survival, first global economic depression, the implosion of world trade then followed by all out war... Post the period of sacrifices & struggles America had been transformed from the worlds greatest debtor nation into the worlds greatest creditor nation with its concomittent ability to dominate most of the civilized world economically, financially & militarilly.... the U.S. had transmuted from a regional empire (Monroe Doctrine) blossoming into a dominate global empire... The wealth of the nations post WWII flowed into the U.S. economy as U.S. goods & services rebuilt the war torn regions. The return of "roaring good times" did not go unnoticed by public officials & bureacrats alike who launched major domestic propaghanda campaigns taking full credit for the return of prosperity. The MSN & propaghanda machine began manufacturing every kind of deceptive trick to receive political credit for the new era which lulled the people into unquestioning complacency... The fed .gov effectively propaghandized themselves as THE altruistic god of North America.... The multitudes being ignorant of the true facts & history surrounding the truth were also subjected to a new form of electronic propaghanda transmission technology called the television. The shell-shocked people of the period were caught totally off gaurd & mesmerized by this new technology & its hypnotic ability to create, manufacture, alter & deceive perceptions of reality... The MSN (newspapers, radio & t.v.) were all content captured & highly regulated by .gov authorities (FCC) to install the centrally planned Marxist-socialist inspired socioeconomic, sociopolitical centrist plan. To add further central political domination the planners added "mutually assured destruction" of all life on earth via fake nuclear weapons & cold war fighting communism with the USSR. The propaghanda machine continually televised faked nuclear explosions with huge mushroom clouds, kids in schools were drilled in "duck & cover" exercises, there was a commie hiding behind every blade of grass who was seeking to exterminate our freedoms... The fear machine supported by controlled Newspapers, Radio & T.V. was in full swing throughout the 1950's, 60's & 70's.

I was born in the late 1950's and vividly remember the continuous onslaught of propaghanda that occured in daily life. There was no escaping it... There were ONLY two major national & international news sources, both of which were delivered via teletype printing: UPI (United Press International) & API (Associated Press International). All local newspapers, radio & tv stations relied on one or both sources for nonlocal national & international content. Hence controlling the news was very easy to establish. Of course it was all justified using national security as those dirty nuke possessing war mongering commie adversaries & the cold war competition threatened our present & future existence as a people & a nation...

As I look back on those times it becomes quite obvious that the W.O.T. & Muslim threat is the modern cold war replacement. The Islamic Muslim actors are a replay of the Red Commie scare... And once again they hate us for our freedom!!!

Axiomatically it hasnt been the Commies, the Muslims or any other groups, nations or groups of nations that have oppressing our rights to life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness, its been homegrown from the very beginning...

In closing the little millenial fuck can go screw himself, for he knows nothing of the history that most of the greatest & boomer generations have been forced to endure in spite of the powerful political & economic forces that aligned against them. It has been these gens perseverance of freedom that created the internet breaking the strong hold of propaghanda that the elite status quo & special interest institutions held over the majority of people.... The internet & cell phones represent a gift to the next generations that wont have to endure the lopsided control of essentially ALL public information... Indeed we as a generation have endured, just barely, but endure the onslaught of lies, frauds, deceptions & propaghanda we did... Now lets see if these little twits can also endure the next round!

JMO

tom baxter, Alton, RealJack and 3 others like this.
  28. Scorpio

29. michael59

20 years logging
    I just love it....spelling. I know I am a bad speller but darn it I want to be the last one in line. Great rant BB, great rant.

30. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Amazing how individuals proclaim success and advancement for self and generation.
    While refuting accountability and responsibility of "coins" reverse.

31. Joe King

Well, that seems kinda one sided. lol

32. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    BB, you espouse the virtues of Al Gore creating the internet as being the bastion that has saved this country from propaganda. How do you reckon that with the simple concept that (and my number is pulled out of my ass) +90% of all internet news is propaganda and BS news. It is a full time job fact checking everything you read because there is zero trust in sources anymore on the internet by those that really care. On the flip side all the fake news that the internet brings us has done nothing but divide the country and foster mass confusion as the masses are too stupid or too busy to point out that the info they are being feed is BS.

I am glad the internet is here and letting me post this dialogue with you, but I aint gonna hand my hat on the internet being the savior of society. I might argue otherwise.

33. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater

Fixed it

34. dacrunch

dacrunch Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

"24 june 2013 - 76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck ..."

- that doesn't leave much room for "planning ahead", does it?

It seems that 3/4 of the population is "living for today", and "spending for today" (and "borrowing for today").

I wonder how many are "just spending on essentials", v.s. those that are "spending whatever they have on whatever they feel they can afford", whether they "need" it or not.

Obviously, that eliminates any "economic independence" for that whole group. Let alone "a plan"...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  35. BarnacleBob

Like I stated, its up to the next generations to utilize the new internet tech.... The previous gens were subjected to one sided controlled propaghanda & news with virtually no means of interacting or discussing the subject matter except on a local basis and secondly with only the very few whom were capable of understanding the content & its meaning.

Thanks to the our pal Al & the net, like minded people from all walks of life, economic means & various geographical locations may now critically discuss past & present events... The days of presenting one sided status quo special interest propaghandized news & opinions are coming to an end...

It is no surprise that the previous controllers of perception & mind control have ad reducto created a state of information chaos utilizing fake news, reports & opinions to cover-up their crimes & confuse the victims when past & present REAL crimes, treason & corruption are presented to the observer. The observer or reader when confronted with these immoral political, economic & financial criminal activities is now presented with a choice.... is this real, partially true or fake news? The perpetuaters can easily dismiss the reports as rumors, gossips, fake news or propaghanda creating "reasonable doubt". The promulgation, dissemination & use of fake news is a two edged sword that can cut both ways. It can be employed to either destroy or protect... in the case of the elites whom are above the law, fake news is the weapon of choice to destroy their adversaries ... Both the liberal & conservative agendas (divide & conquer) have been very effective using this strategy... both are one & guilty of high crimes, misdemeanors & treason against the American people...

We dont yet know who is winning this information war... the political & economic elites & their usurpation & exploitations are being discovered for what they truly are... their fake news weaponry notwithstanding. How these new realizations by this new tech will be used & exploited are organically developing... Hit n Run flash mobs, DOS attacks, hacks, identity theft, false flags, election engineering, etc. are all a combined force of the various sides struggles....

On the subject of fact checking today... its almost impossible & improbable to receive the true facts... I was once interviewed by a local newspaper reporter after being a victim of crime. The reporter wrote quotes that I never stated & reported additional thefts & damages that never occurred.... Thus I dont possess much confidence in any reporters ability to convey accurate reports based upon truth... IOW good luck on the fact checking as it relies upon the authors ability to discriminate truth w/o promoting an agenda. Thus about 99.9% of the so called facts possess a visible or invisible agenda....

Someone_else likes this.
  36. Joe King

It's not just news on the internet, they run it at the proverbial 6&11, too.
    ...and it's also in black and white, deliverable to your doorstep. (edited to add: if you still want dinosaur news, that is. lol)

It's all media. They all add their slant to the news. Difference is, with the internet you and I at least have the ability to easily check different sources.
    ...and that's something that didn't use to exist. Prior to the internet and CNN-type cable news, all ya really had were the big 3 and your local newspaper so it had to be much easier for the big boys to control the narrative back in those olden days of yore.

Isn't that where all the bestest numbers usually come from? lol

37. Stop Making Cents

Stop Making Cents Seeker Seeker

I used to believe the boomers ruined America. But the truth of the matter is that the WW2 generation ruined this country. They are the ones that destroyed Europe in a fratricidal war. THey are the ones that embraced FDR's communism and abuse of power. THey are the ones that blindly obeyed their government masters and allowed the military industrial complex to shred the constitution. THey are the ones who allowed leftist elites to control the minds of their children from their ivory towers. Ted Kennedy, LBJ, and their ilk are the ones who overthrew all sense of decency and all respect for the Constitution. The judges and politicians of their generation gave us abortion and took God out of our schools. They are the ones who changed our immigrations laws virtually ensuring our genocide and destroying our way of life and standard of living. No, the boomers are not to blame for events put into motion before their time.

38. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

There are so many "truths" out there on all societal topics. There is money to be made. There is greed, even some that steal from their own flesh and blood. Probably ramped up when man created the wheel and now we got this earth with a bunch of crazy countries with a kaleidoscope of governments, rulers, and laws. Jeez, I need to get my plane ticket to get up to the Minnesota walleye opener.

39. michael59

20 years logging
    K, U got som splaining to edit: do
    OK, just help a cripple along (even if it is off a cliff)

what are you putting out there? shit am I that detached?

second edit: how could I mess up my dessie arnis-ens.....crap put down the key board and you will live,....

40. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have to disagree. You name a generation as the ruiners of America yet you go to cite government personalities and abuse of power. I'll plainly state that NO generation ruined America and that, in fact, it was the government from the beginning that has, line by line, block by block dismantled America. The successive generations throughout this period were lied to, buffaloed and baffled by the political rhetoric, propaganda and their own ignorance of the law and it's impact. So much so that no effective knowledge could be used to thwart the aims of the rulers. Where in the press were proposed laws dissected and explained in plain English? Who among the supposed great 4th estate took on the task of actually informing the people of the activities of government? And how many of the populace wished to be put to sleep nightly by the endless explanations of the many laws conjured by congress? ALL generations may be guilty, yet at the same time ALL generations are blameless. It IS the government that crafts and rules it's own affairs as is written in the US Constitution. Our ancestors crafted, approved, ratified and accepted this mess. Some of our ancestors immigrated here SOLELY for the greater economic/financial opportunities. An alleged freedom and liberty were merely icing on the cake for them. All this money and I can vote too! Wow! What a deal!

The reality is that people do NOT have the mental capacity to think about the whole of government. How many people understand "legalese"? Some do which is why we have lawyers. How many lawyers can translate "legalese" into plain, easy to understand English? Not many. Why? Because there are way too many ifs, ands and buts. Too many conditions. Too narrow of a focus on specific circumstances. Too much that is irrelevant to a general understanding of one's own circumstance and condition. Many do NOT have the time or depth of thought to understand that they don't even own "their own property". How can such people make sound decisions about their own vote let alone their own government? Yet, according to the propaganda of EVERY generation, we're rich and it's all good.

So, here we are today nearly wholly burned down on the ash heap of history. We see it. We sense it. We are aware that the end of this country is near and some are choosing to blame single or multiple recent generations for the failure of this country. Please pardon my bovine oriented response but, BULLSHIT! It was NOT the generations of this country but indeed it was the government that ruined it.