1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Metals finish week on a up note.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Bartering And Horse Trading

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by agnut, Jul 20, 2014.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. searcher

Nothing to see in this one. If interested your best bet is to listen in one window, play around on GIM or sure the web in a different window. It's approx. 1 hour long.

Scavenger Life Episode 275: When Do You Scavenge?
    Scavenger Life

Published on Sep 11, 2016
    Hey ya'll, we just landed in SF after traveling all day, but we were able to record the podcast this morning before we left. So I'll keep it short!

Links we talked about-
    --The link Flim sent us, Why It's Nearly Impossible To Stop This Amazon and eBay Scheme
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/...
    --eBay's 5 day return policy in writing, http://goo.gl/SlvIKo

Join the discussion ► http://www.scavengerlife.com/
    Resources we use ► http://goo.gl/dwRDYh
    Who we are ► http://goo.gl/bjOPCf
    Subscribe to us ► http://goo.gl/GjJUDg

We live in rural America, and we are Scavengers -- especially when it comes to making money on eBay by selling items we find in or near the waste stream, at auctions, yard sales and thrift stores. This allows us to avoid full time jobs, which gives us more time to scavenge and enjoy our lives. It's a positive reinforcing cycle.

We are eBay Top Rated + Power Sellers. Each week we post a couple 1 hour long podcasts sharing stories about our eBay selling. We welcome all questions and stories of your own eBay experiences. Sharing helps make us all better Scavengers.

3. searcher

FRIDAY FINDS IN THE SPACESHIP!
    Bonafide Hustler

Published on Sep 12, 2016
    In this video I went garage selling on a Friday. I found some stuff. Come learn and laugh!

4. searcher

ONE GREAT ITEM TO FIND AT GARAGE SALES
    Bonafide Hustler

Published on Sep 13, 2016

5. searcher

6. searcher

We Buy Crazy Stuff - Shop Vlog #18
    Craigslist Hunter

Published on Sep 13, 2016
    We love buying weird items. Visit my shop Trading Post in Crystal Lake IL just google it.
    Follow me on https://www.facebook.com/CraigslistHu...
    Add me on SNAPCHAT @ petetheclh
    Music from YouTube library

7. searcher

lol...................

Township Of Alpena Blight Notice Violation!! WTF Is This?? Alpena Michigan 2016
    John Picker

Published on Sep 14, 2016
    Apparently some body that has nothing better 2 do!! Gives me a Violation Notice For the Junk in my Back Yard!! Wonder if it's cause of my Youtube Scrapping and Garbage Picking Videos?? Hopefully everyone else in town gets one 2 Cause you guys got more shit than I do!! Alpena Michigan 2016

8. searcher

THE BREAKDOWN - LEARN FROM MY PAST VIDEOS
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live on Sep 14, 2016

9. searcher

THE BREAKDOWN - HOW TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY W GARAGE SALES - EPISODE 2
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live 8 hours ago

10. searcher

11. searcher

Gamestop Dumpster Dive Night #51
    The Speedy Diver

Published on Sep 15, 2016

12. searcher

Laptop Ebay Scammer and How You Can Protect Yourself
    Craigslist Hunter

Published on Sep 15, 2016
    This guy try to scam me for $600 bucks claiming I sand him a bag of sand.Visit my shop Trading Post in Crystal Lake IL just Google it.

13. searcher

Nothing to see in this one. If interested your best bet is to listen in one window, play around on GIM or sure the web in a different window. It's approx. 1 hour and 45 mins long.

Scavenger Life Episode 276: How to Buy and Sell Postcards on eBay
    Scavenger Life

Published on Sep 18, 2016
    This is probably one of our most anticipated conversations we've had with another seller. John (aka Spinach-eater https://goo.gl/nK6FU7) popped into our community a couple months ago and began discussing how he sells postcards on eBay. I guess for a lot of sellers, it's a dream to only sell items that are easy to list, store, sell, and ship. With almost 15,000 postcards in his inventory, he has a serious system and does very well.

When I was talking to John about recording a conversation with us, I asked him why people buy old postcards. We talk about the success we have selling weird, unique vintage items because people are often buying "nostalgia". They seek items you can't buy on Amazon or at Walmart. I loved his answer because it's so important to know your customer: I think everyone is a historian at heart. They want to see what their home town looked like 100 years ago. That old hotel on the corner is now a McDonalds. That old view is gone forever, except on the postcard. Or they always went to a certain beach/boardwalk as a kid and want to hold on to those memories. Most of my repeat buyers are collecting from just certain towns, or holidays. Very rarely will I get a buyer, buying multiple cards of different views. They don’t buy one of a ship, one of a town, and one of a holiday. They almost always but certain, specific categories.

John was extremely generous sharing great detail about where he buys his postcards, how much he sells them for, how he ships them, and how he categorizes and stores them. He says he'll keep an eye on the comments if you have any questions. Enjoy!

We live in rural America, and we are Scavengers -- especially when it comes to making money on eBay by selling items we find in or near the waste stream, at auctions, yard sales and thrift stores. This allows us to avoid full time jobs, which gives us more time to scavenge and enjoy our lives. It's a positive reinforcing cycle.

We are eBay Top Rated + Power Sellers. Each week we post a couple 1 hour long podcasts sharing stories about our eBay selling. We welcome all questions and stories of your own eBay experiences. Sharing helps make us all better Scavengers.

14. searcher

Ebay Scammer is Not Giving Up
    Craigslist Hunter

Published on Sep 21, 2016
    Ebay scammer continues to push to get his money. Visit my shop Trading Post in Crystal Lake IL just google it.

15. searcher

ADVANCED EBAY TACTICS and TIPS - GREEN ROOM HANGOUT
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live 11 hours ago

16. searcher

17. searcher

SUCCESSFUL HABITS FOR LIFE, BUSINESS, ENTREPRENEURSHIP
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live on Sep 22, 2016

18. searcher

19. agnut

agnut Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hi all; been a long time since I last posted. I recently recovered from a face plant into the cement slab. My nephew came over and helped me out; I did not want to call 911 as they would have probably found some way to get me to the hospital for a bunch of tests costing thousands. In other words, I would rather take the chances of self medication than the certainty of having to live my future with financial parasites hanging on bleeding me dry. Like adding insult to injury writ large (in blood money, that is). Finding a Medicare doctor has been impossible where I live. I’ll just have to move slower and be more careful in the future. Funny thing is that the first thing I thought about was that I had fallen on my right eye side and was greatly relieved that it wasn’t on the left side where my only good eye resides. So I was laying there bleeding like a stuck pig and feeling relieved; actually laughing. My eye was protected by my glasses which were deeply scratched. Yet another reason to feel grateful. The bleeding stopped after four hours. I went to town the next day and got a kick out of seeing the reaction from some acquaintances; sort of a Quasimoto without the hunch look. Too bad that Halloween was far in the future. After a few days the swelling went down and I could open the eye to check it out. I now have a scar over that eye but the eyebrow conceals it nicely. And still another reason to be grateful; it could easily have been a lot worse.

So what is the overview of the above paragraph ? Well, I see it as having a positive attitude which carries us into the future more prepared to positively deal with the ups and downs of life. And to be grateful for our very existence on this earth. The older I get the more I see life as miraculous almost beyond comprehension. Life is all around us, in the grass, in the trees, in the animals and especially in us human beings. I am grateful for every new day that I can connect to this world whether it be enjoying the three deer that wander around my home, the rabbits that play in the field, the swallows that nest in the eaves of the barn, my cat who provides companionship, the plant life which provides oxygen so that I may breathe. And I am most grateful for all the other humans that I come in contact with. This bartering and horsetrading I write about is a wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know others in our surrounding communities.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I attended a community garage sale with a new friend. We had already been to a number of sales in previous weeks. He is one of the most positive people I have ever gotten to know, always joking and smiling. The first time I met him he was selling his fresh grown produce in front of the acreage where he lives. We got to talking and hit it off I guess you could say. I invited him to accompany me to the upcoming garage, estate and moving sales (GEM) to which he enthusiastically responded.

A few days ago I was on the way to pick up bakery products, fruits and veggies from a friend. There was an estate sale on the way and I had a few minutes, so what the heck. I was the only buyer there and began looking over all the offerings. The prices were about twice as high as I had expected. There was a large Craftsman 18 bushel chain drive lawn sweeper that was practically new. He was asking $50, more that I wanted to pay since I already had two lawn sweepers, one in need of repair and one which I had recently purchased for $10. Both of them were much smaller than the one I was now looking at. I was about to leave when I offered him $25 which he readily accepted. By the way, this large lawn sweeper may be able to collect the cut grass in the field which has been a problem this year what with all the rain and consequent grass growth. I next spied three 2 1/2 gallon gas containers which I have been looking for. The size is important to me since the 5 gallon containers are too heavy to comfortably use in filling the truck or tractors. I guess I’m becoming an “old geezer”. I ended up paying $2 for all three, practically a giveaway.

What if I had passed on this sale and instead arrived a few minutes earlier to meet my friend with the bakery goods and produce ? Answer : ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! I would not have known what I would have missed. So you see, it is imperative to listen to that small voice in the back of our heads and stop and think of what it is telling us. Of course, after all these years of bartering and horsetrading this has become a habit to me. So many new things to learn along the way. Besides, the thrill of the hunt gets my blood flowing.

Okay, on to yesterday’s community garage sale. Below are the items and prices :

Ungar circuit board repair kit free. I have a friend into electronics who may really like it.
    Table umbrella $5
    Stressless style chair and ottoman $25 like new. These chairs are designed better than any I have ever used; I can even fall asleep and awaken refreshed. I already have two Stressless chairs and matching ottomans and had been looking for a third for my den video and audio room ( face it, agnut; it’s a man cave). This new chair and ottoman are not leather like the real Stressless chairs but will do just fine until I find and can afford the actual original Stressless chair. Then I can get the leather couch out of the den and move it to the living room. You see, I have had a plan for months that just fell into place with this $25 chair and ottoman. Voltaire said that God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh. Well, I’m also laughing ! Also, a new Stressless chair and ottoman costs around $1,600 ! Starting to get the picture ?

Next item was a Sony surround sound amplifier with remote. Got it for $20 and the seller said that it worked well and promised that he would find the owner’s manual and deliver it to me. Even on our short meeting I could tell that he is a quality person and will follow through on his promise; he has already called once and told me that he is still looking.

So agnut, what’s the big deal with this $20 amplifier ? Interesting story in that my sons had moved out last November while I had no place to put all the records and DVDs cluttering up the den floor. Even though they had moved out they refused to let me into their locked rooms. One room was recently emptied but one son still refused to let me use the room for storage. I was deeply disappointed in his attitude. I finally removed the locks on the bedroom doors and began stacking the records, DVDs and other items from the den into the empty room. It was only then that I could get to connecting the stereo which I had been waiting a long to hear. I have enjoyed all kinds of music since I was a kid and to have not had music for so long was a big part of my life’s quality. Also, the second room contained my second Stressless chair and the older son said that he had lost the key to the room as well as the keys to his two cars that are in front of the garage. Kids, huh ?
    Best to keep a watchful eye on the “entitlement generation”; some of them think that everything is theirs if they can get their hands on it. We used to call these kinds of folks thieves.

Next items : framed Chinese silk embroidery of eagle on tree branch. $5
    20 pieces quality glassware for $2 total. Five had VW logos printed on them; a gentle reminder to get back to work on all the VWs around the property. HaHa
    20 good DVDs for $2 total (that’s right, 10 cents each) Good stuff too.
    Branch trimmer 50 cents
    Large lot of shoe racks for closet $7.50 My sister and her walk in closet comes to mind
    8 American wrenches. Proto, Mac, Craftsman $4 total
    Heavy duty extension cord $2.50
    Quessadilla machine $1.25 Don’t ask me why.
    Gallon Behr deck sealer $1 Need this for the deck before winter
    Wagner deck sealer applicator kit new $5
    6 Duraflame logs which weigh 5 pounds each for $1 total. I break them up for fire starter.
    Queen quilt hand made like my gramdma used to make $2.50
    2 hats $2

Lastly, I went garage, estate and moving sailing a few Saturdays ago. Lots of small stuff and I’ll post all the gory details IF I can find the notes I made. Time keeps slippin’ away……

Keep up the great posting; thanks to all.

Best wishes,
    Agnut

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success. "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

You don’t have a soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body.
    C.S.Lewis

glockngold, Hystckndle and searcher like this.
  20. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hello Agnut,
    Sorry about the fall. Thanks for posting.
    Positive thoughts your way.
    Im up early with the giant van moving some furniture.
    Story about that later.
    Haystack

agnut likes this.
  21. searcher

HUSTLED IN SOUTHERN CALI! - VLOG 1
    Bonafide Hustler

Published on Sep 23, 2016
    In this video I was in San Diego on vacation visiting the parents. Follow along for the fun. Like the video and comment!!

22. searcher

Trash Talk Podcast Episode 1
    Dumpster Marcus

Published on Sep 24, 2016

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  23. searcher

Dumpster Diving Gamestop, recycling bins, and more. Week 35
    The Bearded Diver

Published on Sep 22, 2016

24. searcher

Atkinson NH Town Wide Yard Sale!
    Amesie's Automotive Corner

Published on Sep 25, 2016
    About a hundred or so of yardsales in one old New Hampshire town at the same time. It should yield some interesting finds. Come along as we see what we can buy.

25. agnut

agnut Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hi searcher. I can't thank you enough for your many video posts; they add so much to the bartering and horsetrading thread. I have some friends who will look at them as I show them how to get started.

Today I"m clearing out the living room; it was stacked five feet high with boxes of items that I had purchased at GEM sales. The den was cleared out a few weeks ago but my bedroom is still a disaster. Photos would make you laugh.

Best wishes,
    agnut
    =

ctrl-z and searcher like this.
  26. searcher

Thanks.

Hope you are doing well.

agnut likes this.
  27. searcher

How to turn stale inventory on Ebay for profit
    Craigslist Hunter

Stale is merchandise that sits in your store for months on end with no sales. Visit my shop Trading Post in Crystal Lake IL just google it.

28. searcher

Nothing to see in this one. If interested your best bet is to listen in one window, play around on GIM or surf the web in a different window. It's approx. 1 hour and 17 mins long.

Scavenger Life Episode 277: Doing eBay Full Time After the Kids Are Grown Up
    Scavenger Life

Hello from Ireland for the next three weeks. It's beautiful and bustling here in Dublin while our job lasts, but we're really looking forward to getting a car and driving around the more rural areas. Next update, we can get back to doing our normal updates about our store and sales. We have a lot to talk about from the past several weeks.

But now we're excited to post this conversation with Rhianna and Edgar who are scavengers that live in Idaho and have dabbled in eBay and Amazon over the years. They were young parents who worked very hard raising their two kids and have just recently sent off them to college (success!) After dedicating their time to being parents for much of their lives, it's time to make big changes. Rhianna quit her job to sell on eBay full time. Edgar is keeping his job with eye to one day join her. They moved into a smaller house to cut down on expenses. Maybe they'll move to another state. Anything can happen. Now they can do anything you want. We love it. Freedom is having choices.

Hope you had a good week.

29. searcher

GETTING SCHOOLED! - CALI VLOG #2
    Bonafide Hustler

Published on Sep 26, 2016

30. searcher

WHAT TO SELL ON EBAY ,AMAZON, ANTIQUE BOOTH - 10 THINGS
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live 22 hours ago

31. searcher

Barter Goods (From Selco's Interview)- School of Self Reliance
    SchoolOf SelfReliance

Published on Aug 29, 2015
    Mike talks about a particular person's experience with goods needed for bartering and trading in a SHTF scenario. He takes Selco's interview, a man who survived for over a year in a bombed-out, military surrounded, economic collapsed Bosnian city during the Third Balkan War of the 1992, and explains to viewers Selco's advice on barter goods for when SHTF. THIS IS SELCO'S ADVICE, NOT SCHOOL OF SELF RELIANCE'S. We will do our own Barter and Trade video in the future. You can visit Selco's website at: www.SHTFPlan.com

32. searcher

33. searcher

SUCCESSFUL HABITS FOR LIFE, BUSINESS, ENTREPRENEURSHIP - VIDEO 2
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live 2 hours ago

34. searcher

MY EBAY SELLING - 10 ITEMS SOLD AS AN EBAY SELLER
    Bonafide Hustler

Streamed live on Sep 28, 2016
    In this video I continue the 10 things that sold torch and show you some great flips that I have done on EBAY specifically. If you are an aspiring eBay seller or want to know what to sell on eBay, check out this video and this playlist as well :

10 ITEMS THAT SOLD PLAYLIST
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

35. searcher

Scrapping a Foreclosure pt.1
    Mike the Scrapper

Published on Sep 30, 2016
    PLEASE READ: Prices will be shown, on the last video of this series.

Music from: www.epidemicsound.com

Playful & Quirky Orchestral 2
    Hit the Floor 10
    Sunset Resort
    Headbanger Highway 2
    Action Intro Scene 2, 8 & 10

36. searcher

Nothing to see in this one. If interested your best bet is to listen in one window, play around on GIM or surf the web in a different window. It's approx. 1 hour and 30 mins long.

Scavenger Life Episode 278: Scavenging in Dublin Ireland
    Scavenger Life

Published on Oct 2, 2016
    Hello from Dublin. After a week of work, we are now free to roam Ireland for the next 15 days. We went to a flea market today https://goo.gl/ByRUhc and found some nice items to bring home to sell. Just the process of walking to a flea market is a great free way for us to explore the city and get out of the tourist areas.

We're working on identifying any car boot sales or auctions we could visit while we're here. We have two big bags we can check-in for free when we fly home.

It is interesting to realize just how much of a second-hand buying/selling community we have in the US. Seems like any day of the week in the US you can go to auctions, estate sales, yard sales, flea markets, or thrift stores. We've found no other country like it yet (or maybe we need to find out where to look).

Here are the links we discussed: Amazon is changing their long term storage fee policy. Now even individual items will be charged a fee every six months. https://goo.gl/aRiqLU ProPublica did a investigation https://goo.gl/xI9Xl3 into how Amazon search results are now not showing buyers the lowest price. It's that time of year again to use your eBay coupons to order free packing material. We use David's free service to get reminded: http://wheresthecoupon.com/ Susan sent us this article https://goo.gl/Cwiu4b about the downfall of "fast fashion". As much as we like to think Scavengers are helping keep clothes out of the landfill, it looks like we don;t even come close. Sheldon shared this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQ... that explains why audiophiles pay big money for old cassette tapes.

Hope you had a good week.

We are eBay Top Rated + Power Sellers. Each week we post a couple 1 hour long podcasts sharing stories about our eBay selling. We welcome all questions and stories of your own eBay experiences. Sharing helps make us all better Scavengers

37. searcher

38. searcher

Doing clean outs & junk removal can put some jingle in your pockets. You can also sell some of the stuff for more money.

Check Cashing Office Clean-Out • 1st Load of Day 1
    A & J's Removal Services LLC

Published on Sep 13, 2015
    This video shows the 1st Load of the 1st Day of this Check Cashing Office Clean-Out that was completed on August 13th & 14th. 2015 ..You will see Ashley & James arriving at the location of the Business Clean-Out early in the morning. It was a check cashing store that had closed down. When they arrived James had to get the door open because Ashley was still sleepy and had a problem opening the lock. Once inside they get started taking things apart, loading the utility trailer with debris and then driving it to the local landfill in order to properly dispose the junk that was removed... Then they go right back for more junk. This was a 2 day job. We removed 2 loads of junk on the first day (Approximately 4 Tons). On the second day we removed 1 load of Scrap Metal and 1 load of Junk.

It's just another day at the office for us.

39. searcher

Check Cashing Office Clean-Out • Part 2

Published on Mar 13, 2016
    This Check Cashing Office Clean-Out that was completed on August 13th & 14th. 2015 due to the store closing down.

40. searcher

Check Cashing Office Clean-Out • Last Load • Final Results

Published on Mar 13, 2016
    This video will show you the last load with the final results of the Check Cashing Office Clean-Out that was completed on August 13th & 14th. 2015 due to the store closing down.