1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Beets And V02

Discussion in 'Alt Medicine/Coll Silver' started by Rollie Free, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Ok, I didn't want to make this thread until I had tested it out more but I am falling into temptation.

Recently I started making my own pre workout drink. I started with a milk base and added a banana, organic honey, oatmeal, a yogurt, and maybe some fruit I might have had on hand. After reading up on the benefits of kale I added this also. This turned it a puky green color and took over the taste of the drink, it tasted like grass.

Now despite being fifty, my workouts would be unattainable for 99 pct of the public, I expend a lot if anaerobic energy. However the last few years have seen me dying about 3/4ths of the way through. Once I added kale, my energy level became great. Seemingly affecting the rest of my life with gusto.

However, I had read a while back that runners and bicyclist's were sparking up their workouts and competition with beet juice. It was claimed to increase their oxygen efficiency. Studies of direct cause were inconclusive but the people using it were at times making great claims. Thought I'd throw some in my drink and see what came of it. Well, I found a place that sells it and it was pretty expensive so I thought I'd just try juicing the beets myself and bought a stalk. First day and I was A little under the weather (coughing, low energy) so I contemplated skipping the workout. I decided to go ahead and took my beet laden drink. Yuck! It tastes like dirt. So I go and have an unexplainable great workout, in fact it all felt easy, like I was coasting, but I wasn't. Even the speed run I do to end it was so easy I didn't even breathe hard. Later that night I start coughing again (just a mild cold) and realize I hadn't coughed all day. Coincidence?

This same phenomenon has happened all four times I added beets to drink. I haven't felt the greatest this last week but whenever I've taken the drink I have come alive. Not a nervous red bull energy but a smooth, unfailing energy. .

My reading of this shows this is most effective, or dramatic among less than high class aerobic athletes. The more fit you are aerobic wise, the less this should have a positive effect. What I didn't expect was the way it juices up my anaerobic routine.

I wanted to share this with you guys just because there have been very few things I've felt dramatically improved my performance like this has and also to 'test' it a bit more for anyone interested. See if it works for you. I'll expand a little on my method.

I am using a blender.
    1 cup of milk or coconut milk (I go 50/50)
    1 Banana
    1 Tablespoon of honey (I like organic)
    1 container of yogurt
    Oatmeal (I just put some in, not a tremendous amount, but enough to texture the drink)
    A few tablespoons of flaxseed
    2 or 3 individual stalks of kale
    About a third of a large beet bulb (cut up good beforehand as it drags the blender)
    Add anything else you wish but I suggest getting some raw ginger. First off, it's good for you and cheap, or should be. The kale and beets will make this taste like scrap. By adding ginger (cut up fine first) it can compete for flavor and depending on how much you use can make for a decent tasting drink. Too much ginger and you'll be breathing it all day.

Even though it's just a third of a bulb, the drink will be a pleasant looking read color, like blended strawberries. But as I said, that's deceiving, it won't taste good without some modification. The red from the beet tends to get all over but doesn't stain.

Suggest you get organic beets as they have a tendency to have been grown in good soil and soaked up the nitrates it needs to have the effect desired. Don't be spooked by the cost as it really isn't that much per drink. I pay 2.99 for a 3 bulb stalk but it would last me 9 drinks.

Important to note that the effect of the beets takes about 2 and a half hours, so drink that long before working out, not right before. This drink is pretty thick and heavy the way I have it, you might want to split it into two drinks if you're smallish or add wAter.

Let me know how it turns out. Just remember, the beets and kale are the key ingredients.

2. Annie

Annie Silver Member Silver Miner

Full time scooter trash.
    You should buy a juicer and buy beets on sale. I juice them all and freeze the juice in ice cube trays. One concentrated cube is like eating a whole beet. Juice the greens as well. My bp went down 30 points when I added beet juice to my diet.

Traderjoe and Rollie Free like this.
  3. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

That blood pressure is pretty dramatic but I tend to believe your beets could have that that profound an effect. Truly one example in which the term superfood applies.

I've not bought a juicer as I've just kind of gotten into this. What would that give me that a plain old blender can't do?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. GldGrl

GldGrl Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I write fiction.
    Hi, beets are excellent brain food. I used to buy bottled beet juice, "borscht" in the grocery store for about $3.00 a jar. Tastes great.

"A new study found in this prospect that beet juice can combat the progression of Dementia. As beet root contains high concentrations of nitrates which when comes in contact with the bacteria’s in mouth gets converted into nitrites and nitrites in turn open blood vessels in the body and increase the blood flow in the places in the body where it is required the most."

It has been shown previously also that nitrites found in high concentration in celery, cabbage, and other leafy, green vegetables like spinach, widely blood vessels but this study was first to say that nitrites increase blood flow in the brain as well. "There have been several very high-profile studies showing that drinking beet juice can lower blood pressure, but we wanted to show that drinking beet juice also increases perfusion, or blood flow, to the brain," said Daniel Kim-Shapiro, director of Wake Forest University's Translational Science Center; Fostering Independence in Aging

Traderjoe, TAEZZAR, searcher and 3 others like this.
  5. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Beets are great. I actually enjoy the taste of them. A lot of endurance athletes (cyclists, runners, swimmers...etc.) have starting using beat juice as a supplement. Beet juice is very high in nitrates, which our bodies convert into NO (nitric oxide). NO helps dilate (widen) our blood vessels and as a result increases the amount of oxygen available to your muscles. I know there is some mix of data whether or not it works, but I think there are enough studies showing a benefit that it is definitely worth it. Especially if you want more energy for working out or just every day living. I can't remember the amount needed, but I want to say it was around 8-10 ounces needed to notice a difference.

Btw, other research has shown that it can help decrease blood pressure.

TAEZZAR, searcher and Rollie Free like this.
  6. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hello, ( welcome to the forum btw ! ) Gldgrl,
    I too, benefit tremendously from beets.
    Borscht is actually a regular in my household.
    My bp.....creeping up lately since I havent had some in a few weeks ,
    Really reacts to beets.
    Dont be a stranger around here will ya ?
    Some nice folks here,
    Regards,

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Rollie Free and PhucilliJerry like this.
  8. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

We too, juice with beets.
    Mrs. T does the following

6 to 8 carrots
    1/2 a beet
    1/2 a tomato
    hand full of kale, chopped
    Hand full of celery, chopped
    Tsp of flax seed
    Tsp of fresh ginger

We use an old Champion Juicer

The taste & color are not the greatest, but worth the benefits.

AND the chickens fight over the pulp.

Ahillock and searcher like this.
  9. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

10. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Silver Member Silver Miner

They've done studies on beet juice. It did as well as the current medications for high blood pressure and it's great for the liver.

gringott likes this.
  11. nickndfl

Will the borscht be good enough? I don't have time to buy whole beets.

12. dirt to oil

dirt to oil Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

pipe trades
    I love beets , cooked , pickled and especially borscht

searcher likes this.
  13. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Here's a funny for this thread!

14. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

So curious, does anyone know if raw beets (including or contrasting juice vs pulp) perform differently than canned beets? I often add plain, canned beets to my morning drink. Just curious if raw beets would be that much different?

15. Ahillock

I haven't seen any official studies of canned vs. fresh beets. Any beet is a good beet in my opinion. Just have to watch the sodium level in the canned beets if they add a lot of salt. Personally, if I can, I prefer fresh/raw fruit and veggies over canned. Still eat canned, just prefer the raw. Not sure if the canning/blanching process loses some nutritional value or not. I would doubt it would be much. Canned beets are still worth using and eating. Especially how convenient they are.

16. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Watch the beets and the kale. They can cause kidney stones.

17. BUILT TO LAST

BUILT TO LAST Gold Member Gold Chaser

Can you substantiate that statement please?

18. Ahillock

Naaah. Things that put you at risk are high calcium intake (calcium supplements), diet high in animal protein, dehydration (urine becomes very concentrated), sugars (refined, fructose, HFCS, salt...etc. Then there are the kidney stones secondary to an underlying medical condition. Never heard of beets or kale causing kidney stones.

19. BUILT TO LAST

I have been juicing on & off for many years & have done several juice cleanses. I have been busy lately & haven't been juicing much & can really notice it. I have owned several types of juicers over many years. I have had this one for about five years & it has been the best since it really presses the juice out of the greens instead of just throwing them against the screen & is much cheaper & easier to use then a Norwalk press;

vert_vrt330_juicer.jpg

Omega VRT330 Juicer

nickndfl and Hystckndle like this.
  20. Ahillock

I understand the benefit of "juicing" but I hate throwing away that much of the fruit/veggies. Like making smoothies better. Get to use some of the natural fiber as well. We have been happy with our Vitamin 5200. One of the best kitchen pieces of equipment we have.

[​IMG]

Usury likes this.
  21. BUILT TO LAST

I have always wanted a Vitamix or Blentek blender. Juicing for me is like taking medicine. I drink it on an empty stomach between meals. The slow juicers that don't introduce a lot of air make juice that can last a few days without spoiling so I usually make three portions at a time. Years ago I went a little diet crazy & had a dehydrator & used to use the pulp from juicing to make raw crackers etc. but its pretty amazing how little "pulp" is left & how dry it is with the newer type juicers.

Ahillock likes this.
  22. Ahillock

That is a great idea regarding using the pulp to make the crackers. Might need to try one of the newer juicers.

23. BUILT TO LAST

I got motivated & trimmed some kale & parsley I had growing & juiced it with store bought apples & carrots. Maybe it will knock out this flu that my wife & I have had for over a week.

24. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Google is your friend. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/basics/prevention/con-20024829
    kidney stones come in a few forms the most common being oxalate. It is a misconception that the calcium you eat causes stones, although supplemental intake of calcium pills can be a contributing factor. Heck, its also been shown that Draft beer can contribute to stone formation. ...damn....

Bottom line. ... To much of anything is no good for you. .. except gold and silver.

25. Ahillock

In the USA calcium containing kidney stones (calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate are two of those) are the most common. The other types of kidney stones are (struvite, uric acid...etc.).

Basically there are countless reasons that increase the risk for kidney stones. I listed some of those in post #18. But just because you do one of those things doesn't mean you will or won't get stones. Multi-factorial process.

Regarding the "too much of anything is not good for you" I didn't see anyone claim for anyone else to only eat beets and kale. To disregard all other food items.

26. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    We bought this one right before the new year.
    It is fantastic.
    :)

27. BUILT TO LAST

If you want to have some non juicing fun with it, one of the things I have done is either buy frozen fruit or chop up fresh fruit into small pieces & freeze it. Feed the frozen fruit pieces into the machine with the coarse yellow fruit screen installed instead of the fine vegetable screen & make your own frozen fruit cream. Don't overwhelm the machine as frozen fruit is hard. Disassemble & scrape off the inside where plenty of frozen fruit is hiding before it melts. Yum!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Hystckndle likes this.
  28. Fiat Metaler

Fiat Metaler Gold Member Gold Chaser

if you don't like the taste, sweeten it with an apple.

throw in a few stalks of celery - will add some lead to your pencil. (:>)

gnome likes this.
  29. nickndfl

30. BUILT TO LAST

The juicer Haystack & I have is a model that is over five years old. I believe it was made by a Korean company & rebranded & sold by others as well. I bought it through Omega (An American company) due to their excellent warranty & customer service which I have used several times. Here is Omegas site; http://www.omegajuicers.com.

I don't know the difference with the 350 model you posted but that is a good price. I would check with Omega about warranty of refurbished eBay purchased juicers. The new ones come with 10 year warranties.

I haven't been keeping track of juicer technology development, quality & cost so you might do a bit of research to see what the best unit at the best price point with the best warranty is these days. The old acme centrifugal juicer I once had didn't need a warranty since it was built like a tank. Somebody is probably still using it. If they aren't juicing with it then they are probably using the motor to run a lathe LOL! The Norwalk Press used to be the Rolls Royce of juicers; http://www.norwalkjuicers.com

This is a good informational site that also sells; http://www.discountjuicers.com/verticalaugers.html

31. BUILT TO LAST

32. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

Bringing this thread back up....

A friend recommend SuperBeets to me and I was watching a couple nutrition videos and figured, what they heck, cant hurt. I've heard them advertised on some of the talk radio shows. Lots of articles about it helping athletes with endurance. Well, my knees prevent me from doing too much, but I have been taking it every morning for the last 5 days and the energy and focus is incredible. Seriously. I feel like I'm on a natural high, much better than slamming a monster or other energy drink. And it lasts all day.

https://www.neogenis.com/get-superbeets/

Suposedly beets help a few other things as well...

And this for the non-athlete...

searcher likes this.
  33. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

The Miracle Healing of Beet Juice for High Blood Pressure and Your Heart - Dr. Alan Mandell, D.C.
    motivationaldoc

Streamed live on Aug 1, 2017
    Medical research has shown that beet juice can naturally help many diseases of the body.

34. nickndfl

We have am Omega too and it's great. Very efficient and relatively inexpensive, but well built.

35. gnome

gnome Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

We often use beet / apple / ginger as a base and then whatever berries, greens or herbs from the garden. Fresh mint is a nice touch.
    Blendtec 3hp blender.

searcher likes this.
  36. nickndfl

We got the beet powder today. I mixed it in a glass of aloe vera juice. It tasted great. Let's see what it does for my BP.

37. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

....if your urine is not red, you are not getting enough beets. I commonly drink / eat a can before drug testing, ....I have lots of " fun" when the collector has to do a visual on the sample, they always ask how I am feeling, then says I need to see a doctor.

nickndfl likes this.