1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Best place for airfare?

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by Cigarlover, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have a wedding to go to in Key west and need to book air fare. I have heard it may be cheaper to fly into Ft Lauderdale and then take a small plane down..
    Any suggestions? I havent been to KW since 99.

2. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Drive! Overnight in a hotel on the way. Driving is easier than the airport hassle, and no TSA goons to run into.-

Krag, GOLDBRIX, arminius and 3 others like this.
  3. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Where are you flying from?

4. gnome

gnome Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Can't buy tickets on this site, but it is the best tool I've found for researching crazy itineraries, open jaw tickets, stopovers, etc. http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Once you figure out what you want you can book through the airline directly, try orbitz or a proper travel agent.

p.s. don't fly Spirit Air, it ain't worth saving $20, you will pay one way or another.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  5. Cigarlover

Columbus Oh

6. Bigjon

Bigjon Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

from my perspective you're already half way there. Drove to fl with one stop in Chattanooga.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Fly to Miami and drive 3.5 hours south. Try online directly on Southwest or JetBlue. They have an airport in Key West, but I don't know who flies in there, probably nothing bigger than a 737.

Krag and Cigarlover like this.
  8. viking

viking Silver Member Silver Miner

Fly RT to Miami ~ $260. Rent a car there to Key West $15/day.

oldgaranddad and Cigarlover like this.
  9. Cigarlover

Thanks all. I'm only going for a few days so it would be more driving than anything if I drove. I think I will do the Miami trip and drive from there. I did something similar when I went last time iirc.

10. Goldhedge

Tech

I just used the matrix. I found Kayak to be better at finding less expensive fares. YMMV

11. Goldhedge

Tech
    That's a 21 hr drive for you!

Flying is your best bet.

I drove from Colorado to Ft. Lauderdale one Christmas.

Wednesday: first leg was to Amarillo TX (6 hrs started at noon)
    Thursday: then on to just past Ft. Worth. 8 hrs
    Friday: Ft. Worth to Ft. Lauderdale. 19 hrs!!

Arrived on Saturday morning Christmas.

19 hours damn near killed me! Slept all day.

30 hours total.

Cigarlover likes this.
  12. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

There are so many "what ifs" when dealing with airlines. Then you have stopovers and delays, rules and regulations. How many hours do you really save? That's what it boils down to. I never fly anymore unless it's over 2000 miles.

gringott and Weatherman like this.
  13. nickndfl

If you wanted to fly into Orlando instead, depending on the schedule I would let you and the Mrs. bunk for a night in my new home. I am 2 hrs. from Orlando, but you could do 2 vacations in one trip.

Goldhedge, gnome and Cigarlover like this.
  14. Cigarlover

Very generous of you. Thank you for the offer. Unfortunately my time is limited. This was for my brothers wedding.. My daughter was also getting married a month later and he sorta cut in front of her with his. Now she called last night and wants to elope instead. Fine with me. She wants to do either Oct or Dec though. Dec be better for me. Of course she definitely wants me there. I've always been the rock in her life so no way I would miss this one. :).. Shes also doing a destination wedding in Punta Cana. Still cheaper and easier than trying to throw a wedding together and I get another great vacation out of the deal. Of course I am paying for this one too. :). I took the 2 of them to Costa Rica earlier this year, should have just gotten married then. LOL.
    Anyway, thank you all again. TSA has been pretty decent lately. Customs isn't to bad either, even coming back from Cancun a couple years ago with Cuban cigars they just ignored the cigars and off I went.

Flight2gold and Goldhedge like this.
  15. Cigarlover

Thats what I just booked. 300 bucks cheaper than flying all the way down, plus I'll have a car which I wont need most of the time anyway but its also a direct flight so less than 3 hrs.

16. nickndfl

When you leave MIA it is best to take the turnpike south to KW. I-95 stops in downtown Miami and then there is a ton of traffic which will add over an hour to the driving. Take US 1 south and skip Card Sound Road.

Most of the toll roads require a Sunpass as there are no manned booths to collect. Be sure to get one at the rental counter or they bill by license plate which is much more.

Gas is actually cheaper in Key Largo than Miami, but it is still about 45 minutes from the airport on the way back.

Cigarlover likes this.
  17. Cigarlover

Thank you.. Things changed once again LOL. Just as I was booking my flight my brother called. He's taking care of everything. I was actually on the site getting ready to pay when the phone rang.. :):).

18. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Things might change again - Hurricane!

Cigarlover and ttazzman like this.
  19. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

I've gone to the Winter Star Party astronomical event several times, last time I flew into Miami, stayed at a youth hostel because I'm a cheapskate, and rented a car; they tried to get me with a whopping cleaning fee as there was a little sand on the carpet, and I had that nullified.

Cigarlover likes this.
  20. Bushpilot

Bushpilot Silver Member Silver Miner

Stop at Alabama Jacks for lunch on way down... great food!

nickndfl and Cigarlover like this.
  21. Cigarlover

Is that the place with the rooftop seating?

22. nickndfl

No, you are thinking of the nude bar in Key West. The whole place is a clip joint for tourists. The best deals are $25 snorkeling trips to Pennecamp Park. Everything else is overpriced.

Krag likes this.
  23. Bushpilot

Bushpilot Silver Member Silver Miner

I think Alabama Jacks is on card sound road...it's been awhile and I can't remember for sure, its the backdoor to the keys.

24. nickndfl

AJ's is just before you enter Card Sound Road. It's an okay biker/tourist bar. If there is a direct hit on Miami, the state will be changed forever.

25. Cigarlover

Stay safe down there. This is looking like a nasty one.

Mujahideen likes this.
  26. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/0...-you-must-evacuate-you-cannot-afford-to-stay/

Keys Emergency Manager: “You Must Evacuate, You Cannot Afford To Stay”

MARATHON (CBSMiami) – Evacuation orders are being given in the Florida Keys as Monroe County emergency managers prepare for Hurricane Irma.

Key West International Airport will close Wednesday night, cancelling all commercial flights until further notice.

A State of Local Emergency was declared for Monroe County on Tuesday afternoon.

Traffic is building on the overseas highway as locals and tourists get out of the keys ahead of an evacuation order.

“We’re just evacuating, getting out-of-town before everybody else does,” said Key West resident Luann Huff.

Huff lives in Key West. She’s heading to Central Florida and she’s not alone on the road.

“If it stays on this course, then I’m gone,” said Florida Keys resident Cedric Burns. “I’m not going to stay.”

Burns lives in Marathon. His house is ready and he’s gassing up his truck and is ready to leave.

“For the Florida Keys, if you were to create the worst case scenario that is what we are looking at,” said Monroe Co. Emergency Operations Center Director Martin Senterfitt.

The grim outlook prompted Senterfitt to order mandatory evacuations.

“We’re emphatically telling people you must evacuate, you can not afford to stay on an island with a Category 5 hurricane coming at you. Most of this island chain is only three to five feet above sea level. With the surges we’re expecting this is not the place to be,” said Senterfitt.

A visitor evacuation is expected to begin at sunrise on Wednesday. An evacuation for residents also will be issued. The time has yet to be determined.

There will be no shelters in Monroe County.

Eric Bradway who was visiting Key West from Philadelphia didn’t wait until Wednesday to leave.

“It’s going to be crazy getting out of here, gridlock,” said Bradway, “Getting out of the Keys, there’s only one way in and one way out. It’s going to be crazy.”

Many locals are also already making plans to get out.

“I’m scared. Category 5, never been through one. Been through a four but never a five and I don’t want to be here,” said Elizabeth Prieto who lives in Marathon.

While the water is calm now emergency mangers expect Irma to send waves over water that could cover the islands.

“With a Category 5 coming at the Florida Keys we could be looking at wave heights that would literally put the ocean over the islands. We’re got to remember we’re an island community and islands go under water,” said Senterfitt.

The line of traffic is already building heading toward the mainland and that traffic is likely to get much heavier.

“Today is just another prep day,” said charter boat captain Johnny Maddox. “I started yesterday morning on the prep.”

Maddox is getting his boat ready for a very powerful storm. He knows how dicey it can in the Keys. He was there for Wilma and remembers slogging around in waste deep water from storm surge.

“If you’re not in a Category 5 building you need to get out of town. Just leave. Take your belongings and your insurance papers, get your pets, get your meds and all that kind of stuff and head to the mainland,” he said.

Related: How To Protect Your Pets Ahead Of A Hurricane Hit

And days before the wind begins to blow some are slowly starting to board up.

The folks at Bud N Mary’s in Islamorada are getting buildings and boats storm ready.

“Normally it’s a wait and see deal, but I’ll be honest with you, this track of this particular hurricane is so close to [Hurricane] Donna and could be so devastating that we’re getting an early jump on it, so to speak,” said Richard Stanczyk with Bud N Mary’s.

All Monroe County schools and county offices will be closed beginning Wednesday.

Monroe County’s three hospitals – the Lower Keys Medical Center in Key West, Fishermen’s Hospital in Marathon and Mariners Hospital in Tavernier – have begun plans to evacuate their patients. Monroe County’s Health Department is also closing Wednesday.

Cigarlover likes this.
  27. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Farecompair.com They play games up and down but do a little research & it's very good.

Cigarlover likes this.
  28. nickndfl

I was in back-to-back hurricanes in Sept/Oct 2004 on the Treasure Coast. My mom is still looking for her screen enclosure. We were so conditioned that Wilma was coming for us in 2005, so we evac'd 1.5 hours south to Ft. Lauderdale which took a direct hit instead.

Sometimes you just don't know where it's going to hit.

Mujahideen likes this.
  29. Krag

30. nickndfl

Cigarlover likes this.
  31. Goldhedge

Tech
    I would have been long gone by now...

32. nickndfl

It takes awhile to pack the stuff you want to keep and take. Then you need to button up the home. It would take me 5-6 hours and you must also consider employment obligations.

I have a friend in Key West who also has a place in Port Charlotte where he keeps his boat.

Cigarlover likes this.
  33. Cigarlover

does he do fishing charters? Instead of a stag party we are all going fishing before the wedding.

34. nickndfl

No charters. He mostly drinks in his pool and occasionally takes the boat out.

Cigarlover likes this.
  35. Krag

S0unds reasonable; when my older brother goes down there to fish, he has a similarly priced one, maybe at Grassy Key. But the star party is at the girls scout camp, around $80 for the week if you don't mind roughing it a little in a tent.

36. nickndfl

I don't camp. The best restaurant around there is The Square Grouper. Boondocks is okay if you catch them on wing night.