1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Big difference in bottled 'drinking water' compared to 'purified drinking water'

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by slackercruster, Sep 1, 2016.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Seeker Seeker

Words make a big difference. I compared Kroger bottled 'Drinking Water' to Kroger bottled 'Purified Drinking Water.' Big, big difference. The drinking water grade if pretty filthy compared to the purified drinking water. See photos at the end of the bottle water distillation tests.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

Also includes tap water tests with photo result for TX, PA, OH, WV, TN, MI.

(I would have thought Dallas had cleaner water?)

bemac, obilly and Unca Walt like this.
  2. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Holy smokes, Batman!!!

I happened to fall into a lucky problem: My well collapsed. This happened becuz my beloved wifelet accidentally left a hose running for several days. Caused my whole system to get full of sand/mud.

Hadda have a new well drilled. While it was getting drilled, the guy doing the drilling got to talking with me about a reverse osmosis system.

"Better than bottled water," sez he.

So I opted for the system. YIKES!! I have my own fargin monster system now. You oughta see the thing. Wait. You can. I have a pic somewheres.

Anyway. The water IS better than bottled. Good thing: The system cost a bloody fortune. But the good part is: No carbon filter crapola, or adding salt, or backflushing PITA, yada. Just let it run itself.

That gazillion-gallon gray tank allus stays filled with sooper clean H2O.

[​IMG]

It's got controls onnit that I haven't the foggiest what they are for... except mebbe to look sexy:

[​IMG]

pitw, smooth and Goldhedge like this.
  3. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    What's a system like that cost?

Is it 'sized' for a family size?

Unca Walt likes this.
  4. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I take it Unca don't need to worry about keeping water below a frost line?

Uglytruth and Unca Walt like this.
  5. TN_Preacher

TN_Preacher Silver Member Silver Miner

Hey Unca Walt, it's a good thing you're an engineer. You need that background just to know if that thing is working or not.

Also, wondering if that system is covered by homeowners policy? I think I would want some physical protection against vandalism.

Unca Walt likes this.
  6. Unca Walt

Innerestin' buncha good questions...

The well AND the system came to a tad over $10K.

The system will produce water for a family of five with no trouble. Chateau Sneakydicker has two peoples innit.

Vandalism is NOT a problem here. I DO have a genuine need to respond to HURRICANES for that system. Just putting it in a shed or sumpin' doan hack it. I have a tie-down system of cables, aircraft tie-down skewers (look like corkscrews on steroids), set-in-concrete eyebolts. Note the 200MPH-rated shutters on the windows. I got too fargin creaky with my Terminator shoulder to hoist them humongous running W steel things.

Lemme 'splain: The neighborhood is just that -- an ole fashioned neighborhood. I have a firing range in the back yard :fire:, my nearest neighbor (a young dude who shares his house with a US Marine currently on sand-duty in Camel Country) has more guns than I have... and that is truly astonishing.

Just for my SKS and AK-47 alone I have multiple thousands of rounds. He has M-14's by the rackload. If you drive around here, you will see American flags all over the place. I have lived here 17 years since we built the Chateau, and never even heard of a burglary or any kind of upsetment atall, atall in this area. Just about everybody but me has dogs. This is dog heaven, since they can run all over their acre-plus lots. All the doggies LOVE me (I come with nummie-nums for them on my walk).

We DID have a full-grown Bengal tiger loose here at one time. My wifelet would go get the mail while packing her 5-shot .357Mag wheelie.

And in the best traditions of America, on my dirt road (I am the last house) we have Choi Hau from Singapore, Davy Crockett from... WOW! And Ricky from Delhi, Jack and Sandra from the Islands, and Dr. Jose Gonzalez. Pretty cosmopolitan group, eh wot? :beer:

So Choi Hau came over to hoe the ground around my new Lychee tree. That she planted for me. Davy Crockett surprised me for a "new shoulder present" -- he put lights on my flag. I responded to the Island couple (Sandra was afraid of the wild hawg that was hanging around her place) by nailing the oinky bastage with my crossbow.

We all help each other out all the time.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Ragnarok, Goldhedge and mayhem like this.
  7. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Ten years ago there was a retired Sheriff's dispatcher living across the street from us, and a juni delinquent next door who broke into her place while a friend and I were sitting looking out the window, idiot. I called the man, and told him who's house was being burglarized and they sent a couple of unmarked cars out here and waited in my driveway for the idiot to come out. He had stolen her 9mm Glock that was a retirement gift so he is prolly still in the hoosegow.

Tarzan's pet tiger. Yeah folks this guy kept lions, tigers, cheetah's, and what not on his plot. He was a fill in for the Tarzan actor back in the day. Made for a exciting couple of days. Problem is the kitty was more scared of the of people than the people were of the kitty, he never been out of his cage, he just hid in the underbrush. Didn't stop someone from unloading a 30 round mag into it while it just lay'd there in the jungle though. Incident caused a lot of TV coverage.

Same here on my street. Next door a cuban who runs a trucking brokerage for about five trucks. Across the street a recluse (prolly a ZH member) aircraft engineer with a 21 yr. old import wife from the Philippines. Next to him is a gal who escaped from Argentina before the first uprising. She runs a pool installing business and knows prepping first hand.

Yup, pretty much keep to ourselves unless a crisis hits. I remember the day after hurricane Francis blew through the whole street gathered to cut up each others trees and move on to the next house. I was supplying some electric from my 12k genset for a while till everyone got up to speed.

Been here 20 years last month, great place to live. Plus I'd say we have more ammo out her than the national guard.

Unca Walt likes this.
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Get yourself a water ionizer for alkaline drinking water. It helps with my reflux and tastes great. I afro-engineered a unit for under sink use.

Buying bottled water is good too. Aquafina and Dasani are good. They own the distribution while crowding out smaller competitors. Walmart and Sam's Club water is crap. No need to drink distilled water unless for medical reasons. I was in the bottled water business during the 1990s boom for a total of 18 years. I can answer any questions you may have.

9. mayhem

OK, question. Both uncawalt and I have wells that have a high mineral content, higher than just hard water. My water even after running through a high quality softner, and aerator (for smell) still has over 375 ppm of solids. I can, and do run it through a Berkey filter for cooking and drinking, and that not only removes the bacteria it lowers the ppm to 325, but that is still high. We are in Fla, and its all coral rock. Another thing we are getting salt intrusion. My new well is down 150 feet, and (only 20 ppm salt) kind of unheard of here as you can get water at 30 feet.

Question is how do I get my water's ppm down to a reasonable level?

10. Unca Walt

Yeah, it was a fargin excited cop. I guess he gets to claim he killed a terrified giant pussycat hiding in the bushes.

That one I can answer. Trust me, bro... I don't blow ten grand plu$ without YUGE fact-checking. You want crystal water that if distilled leaves ZERIO crud?

Get a reverse osmosis system. That's it. For hurricanes and power outages, I have the usual Berkey stuff. Haven't had to ever use it, though.

Here is what a gallon of tap water left after the water was distilled:

[​IMG]

A different sample:

[​IMG]

Here is what a gallon of reverse osmosis water left. < Nothing >

[​IMG]
    These pics are from the excellent website posted by Slackercruster above: https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

HEY! I just thought of another thing about our neighborhood: During the last set of hurricanes that gave us that one-two punch... I had WalMart in Ft.Pierce on the line when the sweetheart lady at the other end says, "We just received an 18-wheeler load of generators!"

I dropped the fargin phone, put my foot in the carburetor, and headed north. It's 58 miles up I-95 from where I sit right now. I made it in 44 minutes. TINS.

When I got there, I saw FOUR left. I bought two with my credit card so I could give one to my neighbor who's husband was in New York on bidness. Set it up for her and showed her how to start it. Went through her house with a pad of yellow sticky notes, listing the power draw of each thing.

So fridge, window air conditioner (mine on loan to her since I could power my whole house with a real A/C), lamps, stove, TV. Everything. She was allowed 6800 Watts, and could choose what she wanted/needed.

Like Blazer88 said, this is a "different" sorta place to live. Feels like the 1950's sorta...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Uglytruth and Goldhedge like this.
  11. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Some minerals in the water are a good thing. If you drink distilled or reverse osmosis water with no minerals added, it will leach them from your body and you will piss them out.

Bigjon and Usury like this.
  12. nickndfl

RO will get the PPMs down, but it isn't cheap and wastes a lot of water. One workaround is to use an undersink RO and run a whole house carbon filter and softener.

I am most likely going with the whole house auto backwash softener and large torpedo carbon filter. Run a 1 or 5 micro 10" or 20" prefilter for lowest maintenance.

13. Unca Walt

Nick is spot on about RO not being cheap. And, it "wastes" a LOT of water: You get ONE gallon of perfectly pure and biologically clean water while your system pumps THREE gallons out somewhere. Factaroonie.

I went through the cycle that Nick outlines above. Not too good around Blazer88 and Unca's places, though. Fargin carbon crap is a PITA and has to be $$ renewed annually... and when the salt content gets too high, the system simply does not work at all. I had brown water coming from the taps, even. YUUUK.

Because I am pure in heart and simple of mind, my mango tree and my flame tree absolutely love the runoff. <-- This is a happy accident. It was such a fine response that MySonTheDoctor got me two more exotic trees for Christmas: A ylang-ylang tree, and a rainbow eucalyptus. The fargin eucalyptus has grown FOUR feet since Christmas while getting lotsa mineral-rich water.

While I am attit, if you have never seen a rainbow eucalyptus in real life, you really cannot believe that pics of them are not Photoshopped. Lookit:

[​IMG]

The ylang-ylang tree (AKA: perfume tree, cause it smells so fargin good) bushed out like mad also. I can't wait until it gets them there yellow perfume flowers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    smooth, gringott, bemac and 1 other person like this.
  14. mayhem

That's exactly why I didn't go with the RO unit yet. I was talking with the guy who comes out to deliver my salt every month last week. (funny how this topic came up this week.)

I don't have the 10k that my unca has for a whole house system, though I sure can see the benifits. So under the sink it will be. The carbon filter was a waste of money with the old well. The new well is much better quality water. So many decisions. Thanks for the help guys.

15. bemac

bemac Midas Member Midas Member

That's a bit of a relief as I've been splurging for Kroger’s purified drinking water over other cheaper alternatives because the plastic is thicker and the bottles stand up well on their own. Nice to know it's much cleaner, too.

16. ABC123

ABC123 Silver Member Silver Miner

If you have to buy bottled water, the best is the ones sold at the dollar stores. Big lots also sells them, always a $1 a piece. Comes in a clear plastic. Cant for the life of me think of the name atm since we dont buy it anymore, but its a spring water and always tastes great (never taste that nasty plastic). I purchased a under sink RO filter last spring.

We used to spend about $50 a month on drinking water. I havent done any tests on the RO filter but my bank accounts are much happier and the water seems ok.

17. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Exactly.

Those pics of the residue in the OP's link certainly look nasty, but without testing there's no way to say what it is. If it's something your body needs anyways, what's the harm?
    On the other hand, if it's arsenic and lead residue there is harm.
    ...but to say that because anything is left at all, all the water sources must be bad, is disinformation at best and fear mongering at worst. Again, testing would be the next logical step, but that part is missing and we are being asked to assume that because something looks bad that it must be bad.

Add some vitamin C to distilled water and then use heat to boil away all the water. You'll end up with cooked/burnt vitamin C residue that would most likely look and smell fairly nasty.
    ....but had you drank the water, you'd have been just fine. That's not to say there was nothing bad in ANY of those samples, just that testing is required.

Basically, all those pics prove is that tap water and most bottled water is not 100% pure h2O. Well of course it isn't. They sell that in a bottle marked "distilled" at the sto'.
    ...and like Muj stated, regularly drinking distilled water is not good for you. Neither is drinking lots of alkaline water, but we'll save that for another thread.

18. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    What's it like to shower in RO water? For example, soft water leaves you feeling slick, almost like the soap didn't come off and hard water leaves you feeling almost sticky.

19. mayhem

My water is so hard that it leaves bruises on ya!

20. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    I would like to see a test done after the water was processed through one of those home water filters.

21. nickndfl

It depends on the source water which fluctuates among regions and the quality of the filter.

***Has anybody used a whole house 1.5 CU carbon filter? My decision is down to that or a double 10" that I will most likely need to change every couple of months.

22. Unca Walt

Now there is a good question. I had wondered about that very thing before I got the system. So I DMODDiligence and found that the RO water is best described as Goldilocks.

I ain't sellin' these things. Shitfire, I can't even sell my historical novel to Hollywood.

But the whole shebang sums up thisaway:

1. The system ain't for everyone, because you have to have enough real estate that 3X house-use of water will be pumped out somewhere. In my case, no prob atall, atall.

2. The sumbitch is flat out initially expensive. Long term, it is cheaper. But you gotta lump-sum ten grand up front.

3. Pure water will NOT leach your bones. You do NOT get "good" minerals from drinking water that will leave a grismal coating on your pots, pans, plates, you... etc.

Like this from Ohio:

[​IMG]

ONE GALLON and not only is the bottom gooey, but the sides yield this:

[​IMG]

So you never have to live with the intermittent "BOIL WATER ORDER!" hoo-hahs from city water fuckups. And your house faucets/pipes do not corrode/clog into white-coated frailty. At all.

4. Showering is a fargin pleasure with pure water. Blazer88 is right about our local hard water. You can cut slices of it.

5. Coming back to the expense thing: Our bro from Tennessee with his off-grid electrical system had to lay out $$$ to get there. But after a while, we all note he is clearly miles ahead because he did it. Same-o same-o for RO.

6. Lastly, the fargin never-ending hassle of maintaining water systems (forget the immense cost of replacement carbon yearly... BTDT). And the potassium permanganate. Turn your fingers purple. BTDT.

Just look at the maintenance difference: Backflushing (gross, pilgrims... it actually comes out dark brown, then at the last: BLACK!! And it stinks. Don't get any on you.) And the circus of valving and switching yadayada is complicated enough with the ordinary filter systems that most people have to have a monthly service. I know I did. It is a big industry around here.

And the big one... the vicious circle one... You have to put 80-pound bags of salt into your standard system monthly. Forget the cost and back-sprains and just think:

"Where, oh where... does all those years of monthly huge bags of salt go?"

Why, right into the ground where your WELL is. Uh-oohhh. There are many salt-poisoned wells because of the very nature of the "cheaper" systems.

With the RO, just wash the reusable sand filter out every few months. Takes two minutes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  23. mayhem

I switched from a carbon filter to a "Chemical Free Iron Filter" that back washes every two days and uses air to refresh the media. Called "Iron Breaker", 2.25 CU ft. ***I didn't use the folks in the link, just the product.
    Next morning after refreshing the water almost looks milky because of all the air in it. Happy so far. I tried a Green sand filter,(to much maintenance, never mind the purple hands after doing maintenance.) then a carbon filter, (to expensive to rebed), then the Iron Breaker, and I'm happy with it as does the job without all the expense and maintenance.

Yup, that's why my new well drilled in 05 is down 150 ft. Very low salt content. The driller thought I was nuts. I made sure he used 7, 20ft lengths of pipe plus point. 4" outer casing with a 2" lift pipe, all for $600 because he owed me.

nickndfl likes this.
  24. Unca Walt

Now THAT wuz a good well deal.

But I note that like just about every-fargin-body around here, you too have a $ervice guy come out to add the salt that will eventually hammer up your well. So did I.

That is another added expense I no longer have. May I recommend you rob a democrat lawmaker so you can get a complete RO system free fer nuffin?

25. mayhem

Is Tony otta jail? :beer:

26. Unca Walt

[​IMG]

27. nickndfl

I was an expert in bottled water, but am still figuring out the details for a whole house system. I only need to soften and filter city water.

RO is out because it's too expensive. I am considering a DuraLine 48k softener with mechanical valve because it's reliable and will not need reprogramming after the numerous power failures we experience.

I am leaning toward a 1.5 CU carbon filter with auto backflush for lower maintenance A triple 10" with 2 carbons and 1 sediment might be too much maintenance and more prone to leaks.

I am also investigating high efficiency softeners which cost about 20% more, but are advertised as using half the salt and water during backflushing so the additional cost is a wash with less maintenance.

Leasing a system is out of the question.

28. Unca Walt

It is a tough decision. A lotsa folks are unaware of one MAJOR cost outlay that waits in the bushes in Floriduh.

29. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Nice, you might want to consider painting the gray tank white if its in the sun, keeps algae from forming, my tank always had to be cleaned in fl.

30. mayhem

Well he did owe me a couple grand that I prolly would have never collected.
    Well I believe that it will take a while for the salt to git down that far, but I could be mistaken.

As far as expense goes, One 80 lb of salt a month, I buy the filter and he installs it for a five spot, and sends the bill via email. It cost me $19.00 a month for the service, how can someone beat that? Plus I couldn't lift that bag of salt with my busted up back anyway.

31. mayhem

I had the manual (regenerate by gallons used, Kenco I believe) and it didn't hold up for 5 years without replacing the power heads.

The power heads I have on both tanks store settings; from the manual.

This product has a power-down feature that stores data to memory in the evet of a power loss. It sits without being connected to power for a period of time, the user may see a error code at start-up. Refer to the service manual to reset this board. Pre programmed settings will not be lost.

I have attatched the manual.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016
    nickndfl likes this.
  32. mayhem

Rather spend the money than to have "city" water piped in for $70 a month by the time they git it done. There is more than twice the chlorine in WPB city water that in your swimming pool, and then the ammonia to kill the chlorine taste, no thank you. Drill baby drill.

33. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anyone know about cleaning a resin bed & if it is worth it or simply replace it?

34. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Unca Walt........i worked (designed and built) a lot of bottled drink producing plants as far as RO water i need to share a few facts..

most bottled drink plants where taste is important use a RO system to treat/filter water before it goes into production.....it is probably the best filtration system available short of distillation....but it does have one major issue..ROing will strip the minerals out of the water in fact it strips them out so well that the water will leach minerals etc out of the pipes and fixtures downstream of the RO system soooooooo what your drinking after the RO system does its thing is a product of the pipes and fixtures it is sitting in....lead pipes...lead in water...iron pipes iron in the water etc (you get the point)

it will eventually destroy tanks like your hot water heater tank (stainless steel excepted) .......so keep this in mind when using a RO system and locating it in your home......Point of use is obviously better due to short water runs and a running it a bit clears "contaminated" water

also its good to understand what sort (quality) of membrane is in your RO system as just like a filter some are better than others etc..

just food for thought

Uglytruth, Joe King and mayhem like this.
  35. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I walked away from my Sears softener. I think it got fouled beyond repair. We got a new system (note, "system" is a word for overpriced.) Instead of buying the green bags of salt, I throw in a half cup of citric acid every cycle. The citric acid takes care of the iron in the softener.

36. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    commenting to other "filtration" systems.......in food plants that used well water in lieu of city water ....we normally would run the water through a UV system in addition to RO...........plants that used City water we normally ran the water through a Carbon Bed filter in addition to ROing to remove chlorine and Florine if in the water.........in all cases all the minerals and nutrients on label were added back in to the product ......we always started with a known DEAD tasteless water..

mayhem likes this.
  37. mayhem

Well if you do it yourself you will know what you got. If you replace it???
    I have dome both. If ya feel up for it do it. You will come away with another skill set.