1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

"Black Sky Event”: Feds Preparing For Widespread Power Outages Across U.S.

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by BarnacleBob, Aug 12, 2017.

1. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I got candles and flashlights.

3. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm still trying to recover from y2k, now this?

lighthousekeeper73 likes this.
  4. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Lock and load!

5. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

The good thing about preppers is they are unconcerned about mayhem. Do I look forward to an " event" ?
    No. But should I have an excuse one day to wake up and realize I suddenly have no job, no income, and society has shut down, I can stay at home unconcerned knowing I will survive just fine for at least three months without leaving the house....

phoneman, Son of Gloin and Cigarlover like this.
  6. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yea, right up until the massive starving hoards come and surround you and threaten to burn you out if you don't share. Those prepping better be ready and hope it never comes to the "doomsday" scenario that many think they are prepping for. Most won't be the ones using their preps.

7. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    That's what these are for Joe. Having these and a well thought out plan including the entire family meeting at the same easily defensible location as supplies, shelter, power guns ammo food are stored today.....you get the idea...is essential these days!

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: The photograph is not representative of any collection of firearms I have, or have had in the past before that tragic boating accident you all know so much about :don't    know2:

I meant for the safe in that photo to be an example of what 10's of millions of Americans have in their homes.....and they're not afraid to use them!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. Joe King

Nice, but if there's ever truly an "end of the World as we know it" time, that won't be nearly enough.
    .....and how many fingers you got to squeeze all them triggers? You'll need a small army to keep the starving hoards away from you. Also, gotta sleep sometime.

9. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    LOL, I'll be hunting THEM long before they go from precious snowflakes and hood rats to starving hoardes dude! The turkey shoot of my dreams!

anywoundedduck and Son of Gloin like this.
  10. Joe King

Oh, it'd be a turkey shoot alright. We all should hope a true "mad max" type World never arrives.

11. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    Good grief, man! Why the fatalistic attitude, Joe? You remind me, here, of what's his name* from Aliens. "Game over, man. We're all gonna die! What's the use?" Don't be that guy.

As far as I'm concerned, I might die when the golden hordes come flooding into town. I don't care so much, I'm going to die anyway, eventually. I just don't want to go down helpless. I want to go down fighting and make them pay for the privilege of taking Greggy out. SoG is going out swinging his axe!

*Bill Paxton (RIP, buddy) He was good in that movie.

BigJim#1-8, 917601 and the_shootist like this.
  12. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    As I type this I hear gunshots in the neighborhood. There has been a definite increase in folks working on their shooting skills over the past several months. I shit you not folks, there's not much time left I'm afraid!

Son of Gloin likes this.
  13. 917601

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I do not think you are a prepper. Prepper means preparing your neighborhood or at least a few dozen surrounding like minded neighbors in advance( like when Nobama took office). As the Shootist posted his "Armory"....I can say I collected a long time ago not just for myself, but firearms suited for my neighbors....William gets a nice shotgun, his chinese wife may get the Chinese AK, the two retired Army may get the belt fed ( probably just for me not sure they can handle a 1919) the Garands go only to those that can handle them, the M1 carbine to my son, maybe the wife gets the Russian AK, daughter the Ruger .22, the Brit down a house or two gets the Bren, and maybe an Enfield ( I am running low on .303 ammo, down to 2,000 rounds)...fatso next door gets nothing as he is a hoarding Glock fan, and as far as I know was to lazy to get his Concealcarry license or buy an AR, the pilot gets a real nice .45 1911 and 03 Springfield, the ex army Hawk pilot gets the Garand with 500 rds AP, and the other two I have not decided yet as they think I am a weirdo that drives an Armored vehicle around...it has another Browning in the turret....oh, and at least 500 rounds apiece for the bolt guns, 1,000 rds for the AR's and AK's. Remember, it is better to give than receive! Serious. That leaves about a dozen other long arms for those that may wish to join us. And you are correct on sleeping, remember, you need at least three minimum for proper night duty, 2 hours on, four off, and they better have radios to communicate with me....if not, I have four sets FRS and three Prick 77's ( German Sems)....I do have to make one thing clear, only my family gets the body armor, that they have to acquire themselves.......a few years ago my boy and I took some time " playing in the dirt" and bonded rather well, made a few of these on the two acres....good training for the brat,( it kept him off the computer for about 60 hours) all with a US 1944 and Kraut entrenching tool, great fun playing Airsoft, any more concerns?...May God Bless America.

14. Joe King

3 huh? What are they gonna do when 3000 come out of the darkness at 'em? Other than crap their pants, I mean.

15. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather

You're all set numbers! You covered just about everything!! You're thinking the right way to survive!

16. Joe King

Besides the roving gangs, what do you do when the gov shows up to commandeer "your" stuff? There's dozens of EO's and other gov docs that say they'll come and take stuff from people for the greater good. What then? Do you give up your food/arms/water to them? Or fight it out?
    ...and I'm not being fatalistic, but rather realistic. Thinking you'll stay safe inside your little area while chaos swirls all around just outside, is naive thinking IMHO.

Unless you're so far out that people can't reach you, they eventually will. There's not many places you can go that no one else can get to if they want to.

17. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    You're right!! We should all save ourselves the suffering from what is indeed inevitable and slit our own throats right now. Who's with me???

Son of Gloin likes this.
  18. 917601

image.jpeg image.jpeg ....and don't think the brat is to young to shoot, his ( and the daughter) number one position is on hill number two out back,( similar fighting hole- that was a bitch, too many roots- but in a nicely wooded position) manning the Bren...don't worry about them, I have taught them how to use the field phones connected to me by 500 yds of commo wire, not strung out yet, but tested and ready....this prepping stuff can be really fun if done correctly.

19. Joe King

Not sayin' to do that either. Just that if total shtf mode ever happens fo' real, most preppers will likely not be the ones who end up using their preps. There's just too many who have no real clue what it would be like and if you don't know for sure exactly how things will play out it's hard to properly prepare in a manner that will ensure success.
    Edited to add: many will end up discovering the holes in their plan too late.

Certainly some will make it, but in an actual mad max type World, all bets will be off. Survival will largly come down to the luck of the draw at every moment.

20. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    We can't save them all man!

Son of Gloin and 917601 like this.
  21. 917601

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey Joe, Did someone say Mad Max? ...sorry, just ain't ever gonna happen..BUT if it ever does, well, I think we might just have to give it a go.

22. Joe King

Yea, kinda got to. Again, not saying people should give up, just that the vast majority would have a really hard time surviving and keeping their stuff in such a scenario. Or even one like Venezuela is mired in, for that matter. Soon as those around you get wind of there being stockpiles of supplies near by, they'll find a way to take them or prevent those holding them from using them.

I suppose it all depends on if the time ever comes. Let's all hope we never truly find out what happens if the long-fabled SHTF ever becomes real. I like modern society with all its attendant conveniences.

Edited to add: or they'll just call the authorities and then they'll come take it. Like I said, many EO's and laws covering such a scenario. If it's not a total SHTF and gov still exists.

23. 917601

No idea what would happen if 3,000 come out of the darkness, I can't count that many with my night vision, the resolution is not the best image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg , but I think I might just have a teenie tiny chance up on hill number two with brother Bren and Brother Browning....not to mention our closely knit group of like minded neighbors....( except for fatso next door, I don't think he could make it up the hill)....

Son of Gloin likes this.
  24. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Loose lips sink ships my friend.

mtnman, Uglytruth and edsl48 like this.
  25. 917601

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    All legal firearms, unless you are referring to my exercises in moving dirt. The like minded individuals living immediately around me are aware of my e tool skills, and of course are to assemble on site in case of calamity. No one can accomplish much alone, we have a varied group of people watching everything in the neighborhood, from a skilled drone operator to one who really enjoys driving around from midnight to about 6 am, strange cookie but good man, and quite a few retirees with time on their hands- do not ever be afraid to " organize" your neighborhood, once done, everyone sleeps better....( there are still a few hold outs left- but that is expected)....if you ever pass my way, seek hill number two, password " GIM" gets you at least up to hill number one, hill number two may be more difficult to approach without wire cutters.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Son of Gloin and goldielox1 like this.
  26. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

27. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    No no, I'm certain they're legal but you really don't want to tell idiots like us* what you actually have. Believe me, I'm not dictating to you. I'm trying to protect you

*every idiot in the country who has internet access!

Some who might actually recognize something in your pics. Be careful now!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    hammerhead and 917601 like this.
  28. 917601

Thanks for your concern, but if they access GIM, I am sure they are half crazy, fully paranoid and we would get along just fine....for the GIMers, " Black Mountain" will get you up to hill number two, but you better bring a silver or gold round to fully authenticate your membership.

29. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    copy that man! Always great talking with a fellow patriot and a man of faith. I respect both!

30. 917601

image.jpeg
    Exactly what my wife and some neighbors think, but playing Airsoft, attending Vet events and airshows, digging deep holes on a hot summer day, talking on radios, driving around in the turret and other historic vehicles, sleeping out in a pup tent, shooting the 1919 and Brens, building huge campfires, eating freshly killed game, reloading ammo,flying the drone, and flying in a Huey at 1200 ft gives the brat a good appreciation for what made us great, damn, I hate what computers and personal electronic devices have done to our youth....can I say it again? May God continue to bless America.

31. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

wow, some of you are really consumed.

917601 likes this.
  32. Joe King

If you mean, consumed with survival, then yea most should be consumed with that. You're not?

Aurumag likes this.
  33. 917601

Let me rephrase that, some of us WERE consumed but only up to the point where we felt self sufficient. After that point, it takes little time to refresh the water, check the supplies for degradation,, etc...in my case, I already was a military firearms collector ( thus my choice of firearms), a cannon owner and shooter, a reloader, a military vehicle collector, and military aviation buff....fortification of hill number one began by accident- one day my then 8 year old disappeared for three hours with my 1944 e tool, I found him out back with a two foot deep hole dug...we then just took another 40 hours finishing it off to Army two man fighting hole specs.....finished it off with a few hundred feet of old barb wire left by some old farmer. Looking back, it was one of the funnest activities my son and I had in years....it also makes Airsoft a lot of fun....you really need to see the brat's eyes light up when he zings image.jpeg image.jpeg me in the forehead or cheek at 50 yards.Ouch....next year he trades his Carbine in for an AR, and no we did not eat the opossum.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Son of Gloin and the_shootist like this.
  34. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    I thought I was a prepper. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

35. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

How a major power outage will rattle the population:

1. Cable TV and Internet goes out.
    2. Air conditioning/heating systems goes out. Depending on your location and season, AC/heating is life support.
    3. Electronic devices will have their batteries wear down over time.
    4. Most people think help is on the way, if you call 911. Emergency services will be overwhelmed.
    5. Crime sprees will happen (LA riots, Katrina, etc.).
    6. Gas pumps will go down and people trying to flee will have no gas refill.
    7. Food will run out/spoil. We are supposed to keep a two week supply of canned goods/powered milk, etc. Bet what
    percentage of the population does that???

Even if you have a generator, you may not be able to use it. You may not want to attract undue attention, since people will want
    to come to your location, to take shelter. Also noise discipline to listen for intruders. Hard to hear the dog barking over generator
    noise.

People that served in the military, hunters, survivalists, etc would probably have a chance. The average Joe is going to end up panicking.

phoneman, agnut and Son of Gloin like this.
  36. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Your take is similar to mine: "Disasters are a mere inconvenience, for those that prepare for them".

37. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I won't argue, but I cannot fathom the stupidity of a gas station that does not have a generator for backup power... To pump gas!

38. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    When it sky goes dark it's really going to stink. The smell of millions of rotting corpses it going to be rough.

39. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I love the smell of rotting corpses in the morning. It smells like victory!

40. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    Ya got to light the napalm for the........Victory